No announcement yet.

Concerning our WRs...(here we go again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning our WRs...(here we go again)

Seriously though I have a question.

I mentioned that I wish we could draft Malcom Kelly this year, although I was dreaming about getting him in the 2nd round. But lets say he was avaliable at #12, I'd take him.

However, one poster mentioned that we already have a good possession WR in Brandon Marshall and we don't need another. That is what Malcom Kelly is being billed as; a possession WR. In fact, I believe in his write up on NFL.com, they call him a 'west-coast' WR.

The concept I see here is that almost everyone wants a burner to stretch the field(ie Bernard berrian, and like ol' Ashley Lelie).

But isn't one of the problems that Javon has with our offense is that WR are asked to block so much? We are a run first offense that requires our WRs to help considerably in the run game.

Think back to our Super Bowl teams. Eddie Mac and Rod Smith. Which one was the burner who stretched the field? Were they not just two excellent 'west-coast' WRs who could run precise routes and catch the ball and who weren't afraid to get dirty when it came to run blocking?

How could anyone not want someone who would not only catch everything thrown at him(Kelly has been credited with only one dropped pass in the past two seasons) and knows how to block(Oklahoma is a run first offense)?

Just wondering what the rest of ya'll think. I mean, I understand we have greater needs than WR(DT, LB, S, OL), but how many would really be that upset if we picked up Kelly at #12 if there wasn't another player of his caliber available in a need area for us?
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

malcom kelly will probably be a great player but i feel we can pick up a cheap quality WR in free agency

i myself want bryant johnson from Arizona. 6-3 215 while running a sub 4.4 i believe

he wnt break our budget either, i think he is a good player that come be a big threat for us
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

Not that it HAS to be Kelly at #12 overall, but I really don't mind adding a "possession" receiver to be our #2. Speed is probably the most overrated attribute of a receiver, I'd rather have a guy that is more well-rounded than just a burner. Kelly fits that bill, but so do several other guys that could be had later, like Limas Sweed and Earl Bennett.

Still, I'd rather look elsewhere than Malcolm Kelly with the #12 overall pick. He would be way down on the list of who I'd take at that spot, even though I like his ability.

Comment

we already have a possesion WR. We need to pick up a deep threat in the draft or FA
        Originally posted by darth-hideous
        Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
        Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Comment

that is, if we lose Javon...
          Originally posted by darth-hideous
          Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
          Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Comment

This is what I am saying.

I am not against speed. It is a good thing.

But I'd rather have a WR who runs good routes, catches the ball, and is willing to block in the run game.

And again, if there are more WR avaliable later that match up with those descriptions, I have no problem waiting. I just have seen Kelly, being how I'm from Oklahoma, and I think him and Marshall would make us extremely dangerous on offense for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco-24 View Post
              we already have a possesion WR. We need to pick up a deep threat in the draft or FA
              Not really.

Stokley and Scheffler are just as good as deep threats as a #2 would be.

I like Malcom Kelly, and I like the way he plays.

I am tempted on fixing the line, but Malcom would look good next to Marshall.

Comment

I would be seriously upset with Denver if they drafted a WR in the first.

For as ridiculous as it is, I would rather Denver drafted this Philip Merling character that can rotate everywhere along the dline than draft a WR.;

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco-24 View Post
                  wonderful contribution. :clap:

i like earl bennet if we are able to spare the 2nd or get up into the third though
                  Last edited by SBboundBRONCOS; 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM.
                  sigpic
                  -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                    wonderful contribution. :clap:

i like earl bennet if we are able to spare the 2nd or get up into the third though

Did you fix your contribution on this post?

Comment

I believe Javon Walker's 2 biggest beefs are: 1, he was asked to take a pay cut and 2, with Marshall getting a ton of balls he won't get as many, he already knows how it is to share, he did it in Green Bay with Donald Driver.

Somebody else brought this up (I forget who, but drop me a line and I will give credit where credit is due) that most of the strong reciever duos in the league consists of a good possession reciever and a fast guy. Welker and Moss, Harrison and Wayne, Johnson and Houshmanzadeh, Fitzgerald and Boldin. I think it gives the best dynamic between the players, you have one player that defenses must give a big cushion and forces the safety to play deep, while you have to get close to the other and get the safety up to cover the short pass.

With a guy like Marshall you can give him the ball 10 times or more per game with short passes, he is most dangerous when he has the ball, so just get it to him as much as possible. If we had a very fast guy, most offenses would double up Marshall to avoid him getting the ball and making plays which would leave our 2nd reciever 1 on 1 most of the time. Basicly the situation Lelie had with Smith on the field and that worked out okay.

Comment

It should also be noted that a guy like Kelly would be a good redzone target with his size. This may be something a speed guy cant offer, and we have one of the worst redzone teams in the league the past few years. That said, I wouldnt want him at #12, maybe if we move down.

Comment

So see, here's my arguement. When Lelie was here, how good was it?

I mean, yea I know he stretched the field, but he didn't enjoy the blocking, which was a reason he wanted out(along with the fact we brought in Walker). And if I recall correctly, while Lelie was here and definitely when he was on his way out, everyone was calling for his head for his lack of toughness(couldn't run routes over the middle, not a great blocker) and his inconsistentcy in his hands. Of course, some of this blame was directed towards Plummer, and then all of that crap started again.

But that's not what this is about.

I see a Kelly & Marshall combination with Stokely as a 3rd and Scheffler at TE as a great core of guys to combine with Cutler. Kelly and Marshall would be hard to stop, given that Kelly performs at the NFL level like he did at OU.

Now, if others tell me that a player of Kelly's caliber, or close to it, would be available later(2nd round), tell me who.

I mean, I keep hearing that Phillips isn't worthy of the #12 pick, with some saying not even the 1st round, and he's the best S available, correct? So drafting him would be a reach.

Drafting Clady would bolster our OL no doubt, but it wouldn't be likely that he would make an impact this year. So if we drafted him, or any other O-Lineman at #12, again that would be a pick for the future(which, I'm okay with I guess).

Drafting a DL makes sense, specifically a DT. But, as has been said before, DT rarely make an impact their first year. They usually aren't playing NFL ball until their 2nd year, if they pan out. If we go DE, which I've heard some analyst suggest, that will be one more young DE to compete against what many think is pretty good competition. Almost would be a wasted pick in my opinion, if it is DE. Unless they are saying Moss, Crowder, or Dumervil isn't going to pan out.

Another need is LB, specifically MLB(if the move DJ back to the weak-side). Who is available that would be worthy of a #12 pick? I'm not sure, but I have heard many say OU's MLB(name escapes me now, oklahomans everywhere on here must be disgusted with me) would be a good pick in the 2nd round.

RB? They just re-did Henry's deal, and I highly doubt that they will draft a RB in the 1st round now(that is alot of money). Still think they could draft one in the later rounds, and probably will. But unless they now trade Henry after re-doing his contract, I seriously doubt our #12 pick becomes a RB.

Did I miss anything? I mean, WR isn't our greatest need(unless we do unload Walker), but let's say Kelly is avaliable, would it be that bad of a choice?

I mean, where is he targeted to go? What teams need a WR badly?

Those of you draft-crazy posters, tell me who you think would be better.

Comment

Working...
                          X