Late round RB option.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late round RB option.

What do you all think of Chauncey Washington? He seems like a guy Shanny would draft. Lots of character issues, but he seems like he would fit our ZBS very well, and would compliment our speed backs, Young and Hall, very well. Almost certainly will be available in the late fifth of sixth. Basically, a younger fresh Travis Henry...

Heres a scouting report from Scouts Inc.

Strengths: Good-sized runner with adequate-to-good height, bulk and power. Displays very good vision. Runs under control and shows the ability to make quick cuts for a bigger back. He is a shifty and slippery runner that finds ways to slip into small holes. Stops and start without losing too much in transition. Shows good initial burst and hits the hole hard. Runs with very good pad-level. Knows when to lower his shoulder and initiate contact. Picks up lots of yards after initial contact. In brief views as a receiver he does display soft hands. Gets upfield quickly and can run over smaller DB's when he gets the ball in space. When in position, he displays the size, strength and toughness to effectively pick up the blitz in pass pro.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed. He's shifty and quick, but he doesn't display much of a second-gear in the open-field. Will never be a homerun threat. Misses too many assignments in pass pro, which is evident on film. Will go the wrong way on play-action and will look confused on blitz pickup too frequently. Not very experienced as a receiver. Lacks ideal route-running skills and isn't much more than a reliable short-yardage option. Mental capacity and maturity are significant concerns after he failed to stay eligible during consecutive seasons in 2004 and 2005. Durability is an issue after finding out his knee injury in 2006, which initially was thought to be a sprain, was a MCL tear. Also missed two games with an ankle injury in 2003.

Overall: Washington played in 20 games during the 2003 and 2006 seasons, carrying 176 times for 809 yards (4.6 average) and nine touchdowns. He was academically ineligible in 2004 and redshirted but was once again ineligible for 2005. Washington missed six games in 2003 with a sprained right ankle. Washington's career at USC has seen plenty of peaks and valleys. After sitting out two full seasons (2004-05) while academically ineligible, Washington returned to lead the Trojans in rushing in 2006. He enters his final season in 2007 in competition with several younger talented backs for carries. While he's not the most versatile back, Washington is an extremely talented pure runner. Unfortunately, he may not have what it takes mentally to make it in the NFL. In order to solidify a spot in the late rounds of the 2008 draft, Washington must recover from a knee injury, remain a significant contributor on the field and stay out of trouble off the field as a senior.
    Heres some stats about his senior season, which was not included in the above ^ report.

CAREER: He has 1,778 career rushing yards, 22nd on USC's all-time rushing list.

2007: The hard-charging Washington, who led USC in rushing in 2006 and 2007, started at tailback as a senior in 2007. Overall in 2007 while appearing in 12 games (he sat out the Idaho opener after spraining his right shoulder in 2007 fall camp) and starting the last 10 regular-season games, he ran for 969 yards on 195 carries (5.0 avg.) with 10 touchdowns and caught 7 passes for 59 yards (8.4 avg.) with 2 TD. He made 2007 All-Pac-10 honorable mention, Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 third team. He was a Senior Bowl invitee.

He had 43 yards on 12 rushes (with a pair of 1-yard TDs) at Nebraska, then had a game-high 84 yards on 11 carries (with a 7-yard TD) against Washington State. He had 106 yards (including a career-long 53-yard run) on 21 carries with a 2-yard scoring run at Washington, a game-best 75 yards on 23 carries (with a 1-yard TD) against Stanford, 54 yards on 17 carries (with an 18-yard TD) against Arizona and 64 yards on 12 carries and caught a 5-yard pass at Notre Dame. He ran for 42 yards on 11 carries at Oregon, then had a game-best 60 yards on 12 carries (with a 1-yard TD) and also caught 2 passes for 31 yards (with a nice 26-yard catch-and-run TD) against Oregon State. He then ran for a career-best 220 yards (on 29 carries), including 64 on a game-winning 96-yard scoring drive in the fourth quarter, at California (it was the most rushing yards by a Trojan since Reggie Bush had 260 versus UCLA in 2005 and was Washington's fourth career 100-yard outing, surpassing his previous high by 101 yards) and he jetted for a 36-yard TD to earn Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Week honors. He ran for a game-best 80 yards on 22 carries and caught an 11-yard pass at Arizona State, then had 66 yards on 13 attempts (with a 10-yard TD) against UCLA. He had 75 yards on 12 carries (with a 3-yard TD run) and caught 3 passes for 12 yards (with an 8-yard TD catch) at Illinois.
    Last edited by Gr3yStreet; 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM.
    sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

No thanks...one problem we already have is adding fodder, there are a ton of better graded backs available in the fourth and fifth and I would take a good handful of them over Washington.

Comment

His weaknesses are astounding, and could spell doom for an NFL RB.

Goes the wrong way on play action. Misses assignments. Gets confused by the blitz. Durability concerns, and mental capacity and discipline questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
        What do you all think of Chauncey Washington? He seems like a guy Shanny would draft. Lots of character issues, but he seems like he would fit our ZBS very well, and would compliment our speed backs, Young and Hall, very well. Almost certainly will be available in the late fifth of sixth. Basically, a younger fresh Travis Henry...

Heres a scouting report from Scouts Inc.

Heres some stats about his senior season, which was not included in the above ^ report.
        If I was going to take a RB in the 6th round, it would be Omon Xavier, NW Missouri St or Jalen Parmele, Toledo. Much better potential backs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
          Who knows...I think when it gets to the later rounds it's a crap shoot. Even if you do your homework it's hard to say if the kid you draft will be any good or not. I can say that over the years Shanny and his scout team have done a good job of finding backs that fit our systems in the later rounds. I trust that what ever back they choose will be a pretty good fit for our team.

-Joe
          To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

He showed flashes of talent, I'm leary of RB's from USC they have had some good olines the past few years. I think our best option is Ray Rice if he falls to the 4th or if we can somehow pickup a 3rd, there were points last year where he literally carried Rutgers and the year before. I was very impressed when I watched him during the season he has good vision and burst and whatever he lacks in size he makes up for with heart.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
              His weaknesses are astounding, and could spell doom for an NFL RB.

Goes the wrong way on play action. Misses assignments. Gets confused by the blitz. Durability concerns, and mental capacity and discipline questions.
              Travis Henry Version 2 as simple as that
              McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I would much rather have the sure hands of Mike Hart.
                vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by armchair scout View Post
                  I would much rather have the sure hands of Mike Hart.

I wouldnt go for Heart either, he Travis Henry version 3 without the off the field problems. He has some durablity issues as well and His line made him look good not the other way around.

I rather go with Forte over Heart or Choice Over Heart they are have better upside for being the 2nd tier talent after 1st round.
                  McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Comment

If I wanted an RB in the later rounds I'd go Hilliard or Green-Ellis, they both have some potential.
                    sigpic
                    Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Late Round RB Denver should look at are Allen Patrick, Cory Boyd and BenJarvis Green-Ellis.

Scouting reports to come later.....

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
                        I wouldnt go for Heart either, he Travis Henry version 3 without the off the field problems. He has some durablity issues as well and His line made him look good not the other way around.

I rather go with Forte over Heart or Choice Over Heart they are have better upside for being the 2nd tier talent after 1st round.
                        How many versions does Travis Henry have?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                          Late Round RB Denver should look at are Allen Patrick, Cory Boyd and BenJarvis Green-Ellis.

Scouting reports to come later.....
                          I like Green-Ellis, about the only thing he needs to work on is being patient. That should be easy to fix.
                          sigpic
                          Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by Kon View Post
                            How many versions does Travis Henry have?
                            the guy has so many kids who knows how many illagetimate children he has

Comment

Jones

Felix Jones is a good option if hes available-Green Ellis is not as good as Jones. Felix Jones can run to the outside, or cutback to the inside. Hes great on screens. hes faster than D-Mac and had a better rush avg (10) than McFadden did. Jones was great here in Ar so he can do good. He might be available late because all attention will be on McFadden and not his back up. Jones is one of the top 10 backs in the draft and in my bold opinion-i admit is very bold-could be the next Westbrook-very underrated. Thats my opinion and copmaring him to Brian is a stretch

Comment

Working...
                              X