Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Bay franchises Corey Williams

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Green Bay franchises Corey Williams

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3255468

    Lovely.

    Not sure where we are going to find a starting DT now. It's going to have to be a 30+ stopgap again, or maybe Shaun Rogers, whom is Gerrard Warren part 2. Really disappointed about this, as it will have an impact on Free Agency, now the 2nd tier guys like Rod Coleman will become the primary focus guys at DT.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3255468

    Lovely.

    Not sure where we are going to find a starting DT now. It's going to have to be a 30+ stopgap again, or maybe Shaun Rogers, whom is Gerrard Warren part 2. Really disappointed about this, as it will have an impact on Free Agency, now the 2nd tier guys like Rod Coleman will become the primary focus guys at DT.
    MUG, we can still trade for Rogers, Coleman is still going to be available and T.K. has still not been re-signed or franchised by Oakland!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lancane View Post
      MUG, we can still trade for Rogers, Coleman is still going to be available and T.K. has still not been re-signed or franchised by Oakland!
      And MUG just explained how the price is going to go up for all three because of this...


      I am dissapointed as well... I am thinkin we may have some big holes left in the middle of our D after this offseason... we simply need to draft one and hope we get a sleeper or something... unless we want to overpay for someone again
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lancane View Post
        MUG, we can still trade for Rogers, Coleman is still going to be available and T.K. has still not been re-signed or franchised by Oakland!
        Coleman is 31 and apparently very close to signing a deal with the Bucs. He'd probably be my preferred option out of those guys. He'd be an excellent fit for our likely new defense.

        Rogers has a questionable injury history, demeanor, and work ethic. I think he's too big to fit the type of speed scheme we appear to be transitioning to anyway. He'd at least be an interesting option though.

        Tommy Kelly is interesting too but coming off an injury. We'll see if Oakland lets him get away. I believe he was a starting "Defensive End" last season as well for them. So, his position and value are very much in flux.


        Still, I think you're right in that these are the guys to turn our attention to now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JoRo View Post
          And MUG just explained how the price is going to go up for all three because of this...


          I am dissapointed as well... I am thinkin we may have some big holes left in the middle of our D after this offseason... we simply need to draft one and hope we get a sleeper or something... unless we want to overpay for someone again
          Well if you want to know what I think...I will tell you that I believe we will sign some veteran linebackers, and will likely draft two defensive tackles and a safety, and sign a veteran receiver draft one and a draft a halfback but sign a veteran offensive tackle and draft someone late. But Denver may offer up a draft pick next year for Rogers...so I will not worry just yet...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
            Coleman is 31 and apparently very close to signing a deal with the Bucs. He'd probably be my preferred option out of those guys. He'd be an excellent fit for our likely new defense.

            Rogers has a questionable injury history, demeanor, and work ethic. I think he's too big to fit the type of speed scheme we appear to be transitioning to anyway. He'd at least be an interesting option though.

            Tommy Kelly is interesting too but coming off an injury. We'll see if Oakland lets him get away. I believe he was a starting "Defensive End" last season as well for them. So, his position and value are very much in flux.


            Still, I think you're right in that these are the guys to turn our attention to now.
            I just hope we get someone capable to start this year and next year at least. So we can draft a top ranked defensive tackle next year and let him learn for a season in rotation. But we may have to target a second round defensive tackle like Moore.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is pretty disappointing. Rotoworld made it sound like GB was looking to trade him even though they tagged him. I dont want to give up a 2nd or higher for him though..


              Corey Williams-DL- Packers Feb. 20 - 6:02 pm et

              Packers named DL Corey Williams their franchise player.
              This doesn't necessarily mean they'll sign Williams, unless he quickly puts pen to paper on the $6,363,000 offer. GM Ted Thompson will likely work to deal Williams before that happens. Williams can play end and tackle, and with 14 sacks 2006-2007, should at least bring back a second-round pick.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lancane View Post
                I just hope we get someone capable to start this year and next year at least. So we can draft a top ranked defensive tackle next year and let him learn for a season in rotation. But we may have to target a second round defensive tackle like Moore.
                I could not agree more (no pun intended).


                I think we are absolute locks (barring a dramatic trade up or a reach for Balmer) to take one of the following DTs in early Round 2 (Pat Sims, Dre Moore, or Trevor Laws).

                I'd be thrilled with any of the three. Laws in particular is very intriguing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Randy Starks from Tennessee is a potential option. He's scheduled to be a free agent, and is only 24 years old.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just hope we get someone capable to start this year and next year at least. So we can draft a top ranked defensive tackle next year and let him learn for a season in rotation. But we may have to target a second round defensive tackle like Moore.
                    Any chances of us being able to trade for Rob Meier or Grady Jackson? They might make decent starting options for us until we can draft our starter.

                    I'm with you guys in hoping we bring in at least one (ideally two) solid mid-level starters at the position, while we wait for our draft pick (this year's or next) to grow into a stud. Heck, I wouldn't mind bringing back Warren or Myers.
                    Last edited by AC1; 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM.
                    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                      I could not agree more (no pun intended).


                      I think we are absolute locks (barring a dramatic trade up or a reach for Balmer) to take one of the following DTs in early Round 2 (Pat Sims, Dre Moore, or Trevor Laws).

                      I'd be thrilled with any of the three. Laws in particular is very intriguing.
                      I'm really pining for Pat Sims.

                      Kelly is the kind of guy who could slide in and out between DE and DT, similar to how we could play Trevor Pryce. They have similar builds and I would not mind signing him with a clear physical.

                      The others I wouldn't mind getting in a rotational role of course.
                      sigpic

                      :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

                      D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

                      :logo:
                      Denver Broncos General Manager

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                        I could not agree more (no pun intended).


                        I think we are absolute locks (barring a dramatic trade up or a reach for Balmer) to take one of the following DTs in early Round 2 (Pat Sims, Dre Moore, or Trevor Laws).

                        I'd be thrilled with any of the three. Laws in particular is very intriguing.
                        I am not big on Sims, but another kid we should not overlook is Marcus Harrison if he falls to us in the 2nd Round, I am big on Dre Moore but I do like Laws as well. And hopefully they become solid additions if we do add one of them. Like I said above I think we will end up targeting particular players in free agency to avoid not being able to fill all needs in the draft. We could look at Connor in the first round for the middle linebacker position since it seems we are looking for one...but I still feel halfback will be a priority for Shanahan, so we will just have to see.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                          Randy Starks from Tennessee is a potential option. He's scheduled to be a free agent, and is only 24 years old.
                          Starks could be an option as well Max, good catch...so like I said I will not sweat it yet!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shwangyo View Post
                            This is pretty disappointing. Rotoworld made it sound like GB was looking to trade him even though they tagged him. I dont want to give up a 2nd or higher for him though..


                            Corey Williams-DL- Packers Feb. 20 - 6:02 pm et

                            Packers named DL Corey Williams their franchise player.
                            This doesn't necessarily mean they'll sign Williams, unless he quickly puts pen to paper on the $6,363,000 offer. GM Ted Thompson will likely work to deal Williams before that happens. Williams can play end and tackle, and with 14 sacks 2006-2007, should at least bring back a second-round pick.

                            Now, that's dangerous territory, and something I am afraid of. Shanahan is always very liberal when it comes to trading his draft choices, and it's killed us to this point in time, we can't afford more gaffs in that department.

                            We need to keep our 2008 2nd Round selection and use it on one of the guaranteed talented DTs to be available. Now, if we could trade a 2009 2nd Rounder for Williams, I'd be more inclined to listen to that scenario as we could still pick up a top DT this year in Round 2 and really shore up our D-line.

                            We're in a heck of a quandry though. We need an immediate starting veteran from Free Agency now. And we also need another top young talent in the draft to develop immediately as well. And both, preferably, being 3-technique DTs, as McKinley and Thomas can handle their quasi-nose roles in a speed oriented scheme.


                            Randy Starks is just another quasi-nose, with a ton of off field issues, and little production on it. He's more question then answer. Rod Coleman would be a great, great acquisition if his injury situation checks out. He's a stop gap but would give us an instant starting 3-technique that can take over games. It's just too bad he's apparently already about to sign with the Bucs before we've expressed any interest.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm sorry there are already enough junkies and drunks on this team to keep the Denver PD busy the whole year. No More please.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X