No announcement yet.

Green Bay franchises Corey Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kris Jenkins is still on the block too, but he comes with more baggage than Rogers
    Last edited by shwangyo; 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

i think the best idea would be to acquire either jenkins or rodgers with a trade down and also pick up 1-2 DT in the draft preferably in the 2nd & 4th rounds
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

LOL... It wont matter if we select a DT with our 1st round pick! RARELY do rookie DLs make any sort of impact their first year... SO, it wont really matter anyway!

Saying we should draft a DT in the 2nd... well... just b/c... makes no sense!

Sims, Okam, Moore and all the rest might be nice... but will mean squat for our D-line in 2008.

ALSO... we already have FOUR young DL kids. What DEN needs is an established, proven, productive DT with something left in his tank.

YES... we need DT help. YES... we should look at one in the draft. BUT, throwing away one of our two Day One picks, just b/c DT is a need... is crazy. We have two picks... we take best available player.

I would find it hard to pass on a LB in round two... or on a stud who might slip out of the first round (RB/WR/OT/DB) just b/c we need a DT.

We need LBs just as bad... AND... a safer bet a guy like Lofton-Henderson-Goff-Mayo or whatever. MUch safer than hoping Red Bryant or Frank Okam is the answer.

Bottom line: NO matter when we select a DT. He'll be NO HELP in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
          LOL... It wont matter if we select a DT with our 1st round pick! RARELY do rookie DLs make any sort of impact their first year... SO, it wont really matter anyway!

Sims, Okam, Moore and all the rest might be nice... but will mean squat for our D-line in 2008.

ALSO... we already have FOUR young DL kids. What DEN needs is an established, proven, productive DT with something left in his tank.

YES... we need DT help. YES... we should look at one in the draft. BUT, throwing away one of our two Day One picks, just b/c DT is a need... is crazy. We have two picks... we take best available player.

I would find it hard to pass on a LB in round two... or on a stud who might slip out of the first round (RB/WR/OT/DB) just b/c we need a DT.

We need LBs just as bad... AND... a safer bet a guy like Lofton-Henderson-Goff-Mayo or whatever. MUch safer than hoping Red Bryant or Frank Okam is the answer.

Then in your estimation, is Haynesworth or Williams worthy of this years #12 pick and a 1st round pick next year?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
            Then in your estimation, is Haynesworth or Williams worthy of this years #12 pick and a 1st round pick next year?
            Hell no!!! I would be all for firing Shanahan if he did that crap...we can sign Kelley if we offer more money then we normally would, we can trade for Rogers, hell we could likely trade for some other veterans who are not so great and just solid, but not one franchise tagged player is worth two first round picks...

Comment

NO WAY! I see if I can get Rodgers... See if something could be worked out... Look at free agents... see what happens.

My point is: we should not draft on need. We have loads of needs. Nor should we attempt the Shanny "let's draft 3 DTs this year b/c we need one."

All I'm saying... TO ME... the biggest risks... highest bust-factor... in this year's draft... 2nd round DTs. I would love if a Balmer fell to us in the 2nd... THEN, sure... Or if Ellis is there in the first... GREAT.

BUT... Okam? Sims? Moore? Pressley? Bryant? Too many red flags on each player... AND, not for nothing... TOO many quality LBs to take in the second.

I would sit tight... HECK... even though I want a 4th round WR or FS... HECK... draft TWO DTs in the 4th... I'm sure the value will still be there.

BUT... I think it would be a HUGE mistake to miss our shot to draft a stud compliment to DJ in the 2nd round this year.

Comment

I sort of feel the same with RB in the first round (as I do with LB in the 2nd). Value is almost too good to pass on. AND, the way I feel about DT in the 2nd... I feel about OT in the first... Pool of "potential" 1st round talent so large...

Clady-Williams-Otah-Baker etc... CHances of missing are very high. MAYBE two of these will be quality players... Our luck... we swing and miss.

BUT... Stewart-Mendenhall... Both will be VERY GOOD.

SO... not like RB and LB are the biggest needs... Point is... we have holes at each position... AND, if things go as quasi-predicted... Seems apaprent the safest and highest value... Will be RB (1st) and LB (2nd).

Comment

Just read that if Berrian hasn't agreed to a deal with Chicago b4 deadline, they will slap the Franchise tag on him. So cross him off the list too.

Comment

Another reason to avoid DT in the 2nd... IF we do not go LB... quality WR should slip out of the first and fall into our lap! If we go OT in the 1st... maybe even a RB.

RB-WR-LB all would help in 2008. DT (even if he turns out to be part of our future) would not help.

SO... DRAFT A DT in the 4th... Maybe we trade up and grab a 3rd rounder?

Comment

Since we can't land the big fish in Williams or Haynesworth, I prefer going with a couple of smaller names. One was already mentioned, Randy Starks would be a nice pick up hes already got a few years under his belt and I think he would play well along side Thomas. Another interesting guy to look at is Spencer Johnson from the Vikes. He had 3 sacks last year without even starting a game. He's not real big for a DT at 290 pounds but he would be valuable in passing situations in getting to the QB. If we get both these guys we suddenly have pretty decent depth at DT and if we take a Dre Moore type in the 2nd, we would have a stacked interior. This would provide insurance against injury and we would also avoid giving out a huge contract and commitment to one player. I wouldnt mind having an extremely young line. Johnson is 26, Starks is 24, both have 4 years of experience, Thomas has the one year and bring a rookie in the rotation. After the debacle with Adams and Mckinley last year I will take youth over experience any day.
                      A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
                        Since we can't land the big fish in Williams or Haynesworth, I prefer going with a couple of smaller names. One was already mentioned, Randy Starks would be a nice pick up hes already got a few years under his belt and I think he would play well along side Thomas. Another interesting guy to look at is Spencer Johnson from the Vikes. He had 3 sacks last year without even starting a game. He's not real big for a DT at 290 pounds but he would be valuable in passing situations in getting to the QB. If we get both these guys we suddenly have pretty decent depth at DT and if we take a Dre Moore type in the 2nd, we would have a stacked interior. This would provide insurance against injury and we would also avoid giving out a huge contract and commitment to one player. I wouldnt mind having an extremely young line. Johnson is 26, Starks is 24, both have 4 years of experience, Thomas has the one year and bring a rookie in the rotation. After the debacle with Adams and Mckinley last year I will take youth over experience any day.
                        Issac Sopoaga, S.F. (fair) still available.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

I think you're mistaken here. It's common for Top 50 Players to make instant impacts, and sometimes there's always the diamond in the rough found in the later rounds.

*Alot* of the times when a rookie doesn't make an instant impact, it has alot to do with the team wanting to develop the rookie first, generally, due to limited intelligence or limited technique.

You're advocating a LB in Round 2, but whom is going to available that fits our 4-3 scheme? And more importantly, whom is going to be good value in the Top 2nd at LB? Curtis Lofton will be gone, as will Dan Connor and Keith Rivers. Do you want a sub-220lb guy in Ali Highsmith or Xavier Adibi? Why not just keep Ian Gold then?

LB is poor value in the top 2nd. Best value will likely be DT (specifically Sims, Laws, and Moore), CB, QB, WR, TE, and OG.

So, I disagree that DT should not be addressed in the early 2nd, as after that point, its a dramatic drop off in talent. And you advocate bringing in a veteran to start, which I agree with, but what if there is an injury? We need warm bodies to play, and specifically, ones that are talented. Alvin McKinley is a short term answer, any veteran we sign this offseason is a short term answer. Marcus Thomas might be our only long term answer at the position, but that's not a given, especially after struggling his rookie season.

We just watched Green Bay franchise Corey Williams. They now have a legitimate FIVE man rotation at DT for the 2nd year in a row. We *might* have 1 guy. ONE GUY!!!! And we were destroyed and annihilated at DT last season by the run with the guys we have. All our DEs struggle to varying degrees against the run. We are in deep crap if we don't obtain multiple DTs and we need talented guys to develop for the future sooner then later.

So again, DT is probably a lock in the 2nd round because the need is dramatic, and DT will likely be a top talent at that selection. And we still need to sign 1-2 guys in Free Agency to start.

Comment

Just read that if Berrian hasn't agreed to a deal with Chicago b4 deadline, they will slap the Franchise tag on him. So cross him off the list too.
                            Which means Lance Briggs will be open.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Blondie79

Comment

I don't see Rodgers as Gerard Warren part 2. He is a great tackle who has been to Pro Bowls. You still can't say that about Warren. He is a huge upgrade over what we have and we better hope we have him on our team next year.

Comment

I wouldnt mind going DT in the first (Balmer) and second (Sims). We need help there THAT badly first and foremost.

Comment

Working...
                                X