MUG's Pre-Combine 3-Round NFL Mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorcust View Post
    I guarentee you the Ravens won't select Darren McFadden 8th overall. That will do nothing to help their problems in the least.

McGahee is 25 years old, was their offense last year and made the pro-bowl, albeit, an alternate. He should have been the third RB there though, IMO.

At that point, they would definately opt for Leodis McKelvin to answer their CB issue for the future as well as cover their more than questionable depth at the position.

I think it's a fit. McGahee is an injury risk. Baltimore has nobody behind him, and McFadden offers a speedy alternative to McGahee's slower, but purposeful running. It's a 2 prong attack in the NFL these days, and since you'll be developing a new QB, I Baltimore will use the Minnesota/Dallas approach and grind out on the running game. This also helps improve Baltimore's defense as a matter of course, keeping them fresher.

There aren't any CBs that are good value in the Top 10, if the Saints didn't have a dire need for one, or if Rivers had dropped, there wouldn't be one taken until the mid-first.

It's a best value pick and it fits a need, though perhaps not a major one, but the upside of combining the two is huge. And when does McGahee's contract spike? He may only be in a short term deal disguised as a long one.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
      Wrong Long for Miami, it should be Chris. Vernon Carey is their LT, and a very good one. You don't spend the #1 overall pick on a RT.

Solid Broncos draft, hardly exciting, but addresses needs with good value.

Vernon Carey is not a Bill Parcells selection. His rookie contract is also expirining next season.

Vernon Carey did not play Left Tackle until this past season under Cam Cameron and the team won a single game. Before then he was strictly a Guard and Right Tackle. So, it's doubtful he suddenly became this dominating guy at Left Tackle that the previous coaches failed to see, overnight.

I think there is alot more evidence to suggest Carey is not the long term guy in Miami then that he is, at Left Tackle, at least. Maybe he has a future at Right Tackle.

So, Jake Long is the pick for the Left Tackle of the future. I think Chris Long is definitely an option, but that's a tremendous amount of money to spend on a 3-4 DE. If he can prove he can play OLB in the 3-4, it's alot more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
        I think it's a fit. McGahee is an injury risk. Baltimore has nobody behind him, and McFadden offers a speedy alternative to McGahee's slower, but purposeful running. It's a 2 prong attack in the NFL these days, and since you'll be developing a new QB, I Baltimore will use the Minnesota/Dallas approach and grind out on the running game. This also helps improve Baltimore's defense as a matter of course, keeping them fresher.

There aren't any CBs that are good value in the Top 10, if the Saints didn't have a dire need for one, or if Rivers had dropped, there wouldn't be one taken until the mid-first.

It's a best value pick and it fits a need, though perhaps not a major one, but the upside of combining the two is huge. And when does McGahee's contract spike? He may only be in a short term deal disguised as a long one.
        It's already started, he is on the second year of a 7 year, 49 million dollar deal. No way they invest that much money in the backfield when there are some other problems they will address.

Levi Brown wasn't the best value at #5 overall last year, but the Cardinals took him.

Donte Whitner wasn't the best value at #8 overall two years ago, nor was John McCargo in the bottom half of the first round, but the Bills jumped on both.

Tedd Ginn Jr. wasn't good value at #9 overall, but the Dolphins jumped this past year.

Teams will reach often, smart or not, successful or not, and they will not invest that much cash or talent into the backfield. Especially with all the talent to be had later in the draft at the RB position.

If they want a compliment, don't take him 8th overall! Get someone like Tashard Choice, Matt Forte', Kevin Smith, Corey Boyd, Yvenson Bernard, Chauncey Washington, etc later in the draft that could provide a good compliment.

RB is not where they should focus their issues or first round pick, even a talent like McFadden. If McFadden is at #8 overall, no doubt they could find some trade partners at that juncture, which would serve them much better. I understand you can't make logical trades in a mock draft though. Still, I can guarentee McFadden won't be wearing purple and black come draft day. The Ravens are rebuilding and can't afford to make the first step another superstar RB.
        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

The Saints did...

I think they would prolly try and trade out... but I can see anything happening in the draft as there are always surprises.
          Bronco fan from Packer Land.
          Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
          Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
            The Saints did...

I think they would prolly try and trade out... but I can see anything happening in the draft as there are always surprises.
            Reggie Bush was hyped as a once in a generation player, and McCallister was coming off a season ending injury. The Saints wouldn't know if he would turn out as the same player.

It was also a good PR move, considering the Saints were rebuidling after the debacle that was Hurricane Katrina.
            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Thanks for the hard work MuG

Would feel good about both those picks,tho I am higher on Jeff Otah then Williams just for the fact that he is more aggressive and seems to have better long range potential...That being said Williams is more NFL ready at this point and fits a major need for Denver

Comment

You do good work MUG. Thanks for the insight on so many players and the teams' needs.

Comment

Marcus Thomas is not the nose tackle, he's the three tech tackle......McKinley is a scrub.

Trevor Laws is Montae Reagor V2.0......

Comment

Thanks guys, things are a tad slow so glad I could give someone something to read. This is my favorite time to do a 3 Round Mock because it's hard. After the Combine and Pro Days, it becomes much easier. So even though I'll do more mocks leading up to the draft, this is the one that I will compare the real draft to.

And Stnzed, Marcus Thomas is not a 3-Technique, he's not even close. He's a quasi-nose that has more clog then penetration, but his true fit is as a Nose Tackle in a speed oriented scheme. If we do move to such a scheme, then Thomas is a great fit at the Nose, he's just not ready to start yet though, so we need a starter. I also do not think McKinley is a scrub. He's proven to be a serviceable veteran and makes a great 3 or 4 DT in a rotation.

The way I look at it, we have a solid #3 DT in Thomas and a solid #4 DT in McKinley. What we don't have is a #1 and #2 DT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                      Thanks guys, things are a tad slow so glad I could give someone something to read. This is my favorite time to do a 3 Round Mock because it's hard. After the Combine and Pro Days, it becomes much easier. So even though I'll do more mocks leading up to the draft, this is the one that I will compare the real draft to.
                      and free agency

Comment

Working...
                      X