Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of Stud QB Hurting Broncos this draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently... a possible 4th team has entered the mix for a QB...

According to NFL.COM:

Chief question: QB or no QB?

A coin flip didn't go Kansas City's way on Friday, but Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said he expects his team to land a top-flight prospect in the draft's No. 5 slot anyway.

And he didn't rule out taking a quarterback, in the first round or later.

"There are some good football players here in this draft," said the always loquacious Edwards. "There’s going to be some quarterbacks that are drafted, there always is. We drafted a quarterback three years ago in Brodie Croyle. He played a lot for us this year. We like him. But in all positions on your football team, you always want to create competition. Competition is the key for us."

Edwards said this year’s draft is a critical one for the Chiefs.

"We’re headed into a situation where we probably need eight starters on our football team that are going to be young football players," said Edwards. "That’s what we’re after as an organization and we know that. And that’s OK. We’ve got plans for that. Some will come in the draft, some will come in free agency. That’s the road we’re headed down. That’s where our franchise is right now, and that’s why this draft is very very important."

Comment

Ryan goes in the top ten. Henne maybe after that it'll all be second rounders for qb's Brohm won't go ahead of Henne. There's also no big name WR's until late first round. We picked a bad year to try to get a stud d-line man. who knows maybe ellis falls but doubtful but I really hope they don't trade up this year. Lofton would be great in the second round. Mendenhall would be great but we never draft running backs that high so that's a little doubtful. If ellis is taken early i wouldn't be suprised to see them trade down a couple spots to get a couple later picks, we could use them.

Comment

I'm still hoping that either:

a) Clady is sitting there for the taking at #12

-or-

b) All the negative press that McFadden is getting causes him to fall to #12 and Dallas gives us both of their firsts to move up and get McFadden.

Honestly, even though we don't need a RB, if we miss out on Clady and Williams (which is highly unlikely) I don't have a problem taking McFadden/Mendenhall/Stewart at #12. In this case if Clady is gone, it would be a case of BPA.

I still think we need to address the lines in rounds one and two if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
          I do agree... NO WAY ELLIS falls to us.

No matter what... Ellis will not last until 12... Sr. Bowl made that official!
          Damn! Damn! Damn!......Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a while for a 290lb DT that probably won't fit the system Bob Slowik's successor will run......

Comment

The sad thing is...

...that both teams that are absolutely DESPERATE for a true, franchise QB probably won't draft one. This draft, while not ideal, is certainly not bad for QBs. It's a damn site better than the Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers/Jason Campbell draft and Smith went #1 overall.

Miami needs a QB like nothing else. They haven't had a franchise QB since Marino retired. They passed on Quinn last year. If they don't draft Ryan at #1 this year, they are the DUMBEST FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Go ahead Parcells, draft an overrated DE like Long who doesn't even fit in your defensive scheme (he's a true 4-3 DE NOT a 3-4 OLB) and neglect QB AGAIN. Obviously, having a great DE on your team makes up for not having a guy who can play QB (didn't they go 1-15 with a guy named Taylor on the roster? Long is going to help them - how?).

Atlanta is in the exact same position. They are in great shape to grab a QB but will probably drop #3 overall on either Dorsey or Ellis who, while very good players, won't make enough of a difference to turn around the team. This is another team that needs a franchise QB like nobody's business. But hey, they just hired a defensive coach in Mike Smith who's going to want to draft what he knows best - defense. Hmm, I hope it makes him feel better when he's handed his pink slip because his team has NO OFFENSE and NO FUTURE.

If history has shown nothing else, it has shown that very few teams ever win consistently without a franchise QB. In my lifetime, I can remember only a few superbowl winning teams that got there with some scrub under center. Defense is extremely important as the Giants showed in XLI, but without a franchise QB keeping his cool and making the right throws (Eli really did play great football in the playoffs), the Giants wouldn't have won, either.

If I was the owner of either of these teams, this is where I'd step in and tell my GM that he is drafting a QB, like it or not. This isn't about 08-09. Both teams will suck next year, anyway. At least they have the ability to build for the future and let their franchise QB sit for a year when it won't matter anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
              ...that both teams that are absolutely DESPERATE for a true, franchise QB probably won't draft one. This draft, while not ideal, is certainly not bad for QBs. It's a damn site better than the Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers/Jason Campbell draft and Smith went #1 overall.

Miami needs a QB like nothing else. They haven't had a franchise QB since Marino retired. They passed on Quinn last year. If they don't draft Ryan at #1 this year, they are the DUMBEST FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL. Go ahead Parcells, draft an overrated DE like Long who doesn't even fit in your defensive scheme (he's a true 4-3 DE NOT a 3-4 OLB) and neglect QB AGAIN. Obviously, having a great DE on your team makes up for not having a guy who can play QB (didn't they go 1-15 with a guy named Taylor on the roster? Long is going to help them - how?).

Atlanta is in the exact same position. They are in great shape to grab a QB but will probably drop #3 overall on either Dorsey or Ellis who, while very good players, won't make enough of a difference to turn around the team. This is another team that needs a franchise QB like nobody's business. But hey, they just hired a defensive coach in Mike Smith who's going to want to draft what he knows best - defense. Hmm, I hope it makes him feel better when he's handed his pink slip because his team has NO OFFENSE and NO FUTURE.

If history has shown nothing else, it has shown that very few teams ever win consistently without a franchise QB. In my lifetime, I can remember only a few superbowl winning teams that got there with some scrub under center. Defense is extremely important as the Giants showed in XLI, but without a franchise QB keeping his cool and making the right throws (Eli really did play great football in the playoffs), the Giants wouldn't have won, either.

If I was the owner of either of these teams, this is where I'd step in and tell my GM that he is drafting a QB, like it or not. This isn't about 08-09. Both teams will suck next year, anyway. At least they have the ability to build for the future and let their franchise QB sit for a year when it won't matter anyway!
              Long will play DE in their 3-4, just like he played at UVA. And they did draft John Beck in the 2nd round last year, and he hasn't been given a full season to show what he can do as the starter.

Comment

1 miami- qb ryan
                2 st louis- ot long
                3 atlanta- qb brohm or qb henne
                4 oakland- dt ellis or dt dorsey
                5 kansas- cb mckelvin
                6 new york jets- dt ellis or dt dorsey
                7 new england- cb rodgers-cromartie or lb connor
                8 baltimore- qb brohm or qb henne or cb rodgers-cromartie or cb talib
                9 cincinnati- de long
                10 new orleans- cb rodgers-cromartie or cb talib or cb jenkins
                11 buffalo- wr sweed
                12 denver- s phillips or lb rivers or ot clady

this is based on what teams generally need. if they pick someone for the fact of best possible choice it may be way off.

Comment

Chris Long played DE in a 3-4 his college career but you guys are right hes not a true DE

Comment

Working...
                  X