Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rashard Mendenhall: 'I'm the Best Back'

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...the-best-back/

There's increasing talk here in Indianapolis that Arkansas running back Darren McFadden is slipping down draft boards, and that he might not even be the first running back -- let alone the first player -- chosen in this year's draft.

So if McFadden does fall, who will fill the void? Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall said today that his viewpoint is simple: "I feel like I'm the best back," Mendenhall said.

Mendenhall is an intriguing prospect, a 225-pounder with enough speed that he ran through the USC secondary in the Rose Bowl. And he's got a good chance of improving his draft stock at the Combine, as he plans to run and do every drill.

Oh, and while some teams are worried about McFadden's off-field trouble, Mendenhall doesn't come across like the kind of guy coaches have to worry about in that department. Asked what he likes to do in his free time, Mendenhall said, "One of the things I like to do that's relaxing is I write a lot and I read."

Big, fast, productive and smart, too? NFL coaches will love this guy.
    lulz @ the Patriots

www.youtube.com/JayCutler4MVP

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP SEAN TAYLOR
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Unfortunately, Shanahan is an idiot and restructured Travis Henry.

Another failure by our "genius" coach...

Mendenhall would dominate in our offense

Comment

Originally posted by kthxbai View Post
      http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...the-best-back/

There's increasing talk here in Indianapolis that Arkansas running back Darren McFadden is slipping down draft boards, and that he might not even be the first running back -- let alone the first player -- chosen in this year's draft.

So if McFadden does fall, who will fill the void? Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall said today that his viewpoint is simple: "I feel like I'm the best back," Mendenhall said.

Mendenhall is an intriguing prospect, a 225-pounder with enough speed that he ran through the USC secondary in the Rose Bowl. And he's got a good chance of improving his draft stock at the Combine, as he plans to run and do every drill.

Oh, and while some teams are worried about McFadden's off-field trouble, Mendenhall doesn't come across like the kind of guy coaches have to worry about in that department. Asked what he likes to do in his free time, Mendenhall said, "One of the things I like to do that's relaxing is I write a lot and I read."

Big, fast, productive and smart, too? NFL coaches will love this guy.
      I am still hoping we draft him...damn you Henry, why couldn't you have just admitted you toked a bowl and taken the suspension...lol.

Comment

RM and EB would have given Cutler all the weapons he needs.

All I have to say... If we take an OT in the first... As they say in the 3rd Indian Jones' movie: We better choose wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
          RM and EB would have given Cutler all the weapons he needs.

All I have to say... If we take an OT in the first... As they say in the 3rd Indian Jones' movie: We better choose wisely!
          Great points Frag...lol. And if we choose badly can we roll a huge round boulder on someone like in the first Indiana Jones?

Comment

I know that is against the COC regs, but I could not stop from laughing till right now...hahaha.
            Last edited by Elway; 02-22-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I like that sort of swagger. I don't know if Mendenhall is the best, but I like the fact that he thinks he is and is willing to go out there and prove it. Nothing better than a player who has done well, but wants to prove he can be better. It's a crying shame Henry is still around, because either M or S would have been sweet here in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                I like that sort of swagger. I don't know if Mendenhall is the best, but I like the fact that he thinks he is and is willing to go out there and prove it. Nothing better than a player who has done well, but wants to prove he can be better. It's a crying shame Henry is still around, because either M or S would have been sweet here in Denver.
                I will not discount the possibility just yet, if we do trade way down like to the 18th through like the 26th areas I would say it was not possible, but if we stay at 12th overall or trade to maybe 15th, we may still have a shot and Shanahan could maybe still take one. But I know both Chicago and Detroit are big on Mendenhall already, so it might still be out of the question...ughhh...I can not wait till the draft!

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                  I will not discount the possibility just yet, if we do trade way down like to the 18th through like the 26th areas I would say it was not possible, but if we stay at 12th overall or trade to maybe 15th, we may still have a shot and Shanahan could maybe still take one. But I know both Chicago and Detroit are big on Mendenhall already, so it might still be out of the question...ughhh...I can not wait till the draft!
                  I won't discount it either, but I'd say the chances are pretty slim. Hell, maybe this Henry deal is like the Chad Jackson smoke and mirrors from a few years ago when everyone was thinking WR was going to be the pick and we landed Jay; only to find out later if it wasn't Jay, it was Maroney.

Please let it be true.

M or S please. (M for you. . . )

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                    Great points Frag...lol. And if we choose badly can we roll a huge round boulder on someone like in the first Indiana Jones?
                    Why do you say "we", you know who's gonna make the call! And that someone who gets rolled over by that huge round boulder is our beloved coach.

Comment

How else could he answer that question?

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                        Unfortunately, Shanahan is an idiot and restructured Travis Henry.

Another failure by our "genius" coach...

Mendenhall would dominate in our offense
                        What?! How is he an idiot?

Shanahan got rid of Henry's $6 million bonus that he was due and replaced it with a little higher base salary and a lot of incentives.

What does that mean? Well, it means that the Broncos can now cut Henry at any time and not take that extra hit to the salary cap. We could still draft one of the top running backs and, if we feel that he'll win the starting job during the preseason, we could cut Henry with a lot less pain in the pocketbook.

Henry is a safety valve in case we don't draft a running back, which is certainly very possible considering the Broncos have a lot of other needs. But if they decide a running back is too good to pass up then Shanahan has made sure we won't suffer the consequences if we later decide to get rid of Henry.

That sounds pretty damn shrewd to me.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                          What?! How is he an idiot?

Shanahan got rid of Henry's $6 million bonus that he was due and replaced it with a little higher base salary and a lot of incentives.

What does that mean? Well, it means that the Broncos can now cut Henry at any time and not take that extra hit to the salary cap. We could still draft one of the top running backs and, if we feel that he'll win the starting job during the preseason, we could cut Henry with a lot less pain in the pocketbook.

Henry is a safety valve in case we don't draft a running back, which is certainly very possible considering the Broncos have a lot of other needs. But if they decide a running back is too good to pass up then Shanahan has made sure we won't suffer the consequences if we later decide to get rid of Henry.

That sounds pretty damn shrewd to me.
                          I agree, in fact I think the deal actually saved the organization near 12.5 million overall from the guaranteed money we had in place, that also includes the 6 million which Denver was talking about recently which was owed to Henry. So yes, the money part is a huge plus for the team to sign players, but many Jav are upset that Henry is even returning when we have a golden opportunity at a top shelf back...I agree with them on that as well, so both sides have valid points, but saving money when usually we are hurting seems to be a huge plus right now. Every other year we have 5 million or less under the cap and are always talking about how we can not add too much because lack of space!

Comment

The best RB is 235 lbs

He will bench 225 over 35 times

He will run the 40 in 4.4 or under 4.4

He will have better than a 37 inch vertical leap

He played his college ball at Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by The Dyna$ty View Post
                              The best RB is 235 lbs

He will bench 225 over 35 times

He will run the 40 in 4.4 or under 4.4

He will have better than a 37 inch vertical leap

He played his college ball at Oregon
                              Well if he puts up those kind of numbers you can kiss our chances at him goodbye. We all saw how Vernon Davis skyrocketed up boards after his monster combine.

Comment

Working...
                              X