Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunn / Broncos Interested in Warrick Dunn? (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and here is ANOTHER source to prove my point....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...639427,00.html

Henry a tireless numbers cruncher
    Carrying the label of lone back can be added bonus
    Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    Saturday, July 21, 2007
    More Broncos/NFL

ENGLEWOOD - There are plenty of numbers to crunch in an NFL offense, all swirling around in a playbook waiting for their time to come.

But at the moment, only two concern Broncos running back Travis Henry.

One. And one.

"That's it," Henry said with a smile. "One and one. Hope it adds up to me."

One back. One ball. That's it. So, what exactly does it equal?

It depends, in a salary-cap league. Depends on who gets the question. And it certainly depends on the running back with the ball.

"Sure, you'd like one guy who gets 2,000 yards like T.D. (Terrell Davis)," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "That's a perfect scenario, but that doesn't always happen. Well, it almost never happens, but the perfect scenario is to have that one back to carry the load.

"That guy's got to be durable, have pretty good size, he's got to play hurt a little bit to survive the wear and tear that goes on during the season. Some guys embrace it, they want it that way. Some guys just don't. They want the 20 carries a game and that's it, they want to be done with it."

But Henry doesn't want to just embrace the idea of being the guy. He wants to grab it and lug it as many times as Shanahan lets him.

He wants to help turn back the clock on the idea that an NFL backfield has become a place for sharing, a place where many hands make light work.

But following Davis' footsteps in the Broncos offense is certainly a grueling quest.

Davis carried the ball at least 369 times in the two seasons that ended in Super Bowl wins - 1997 and '98 - and carried the ball 345 times in '96, when the Broncos finished 13-3.

Henry's résumé - it includes three 1,000-yard seasons and two seasons with at least 325 carries - points to the potential to carry that type of load.

"Me, personally, I'm from the old school," Henry said. "From watching Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, all those guys, it was one back. That's it. One guy got the ball.

"It's good to have the backup in case something goes wrong, but as far as rotating during the game, that takes away from a premier back trying to get in a rhythm. So, a two-back rotation? I guess I don't see it."

Two better than one?

When the Indianapolis Colts were rolling toward their win in Super Bowl XLI in February, coach Tony Dungy made a point to say he believed a two-back system was the way go as he split carries between Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai.

Addai became the first back in league history to top 1,000 yards in a season in which he did not start a game.

It was the unappreciated part of their title run. After all, Indianapolis had 100 yards rushing in its divisional-round win against the Baltimore Ravens and 125 yards rushing - 93 of those came in the second half after the Colts trailed 21-6 - in the AFC Championship Game against the New England Patriots.

And the night the Colts hoisted the big trophy, they had rushed for 191 yards against the Chicago Bears, who had finished the regular season as the league's No. 5 defense. Rhodes had 21 carries for 113 yards and Addai finished with 77 yards on 19 carries to go with 10 receptions.

Bears coach Lovie Smith, who spread out his ground game between Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson last season, joined the chorus in the week leading up to that title game - that two backs could be, in the right situation, better than one.

"But to me, if you got one back, play him," Henry said. "Because the more times he touches the ball, the better he gets in the course of the ballgame. Indy's got one back, now that Rhodes left (in free agency) and the Bears have one back, too, with Jones gone."

Of course, results are the key.

"To me, you just look at the guy, look at the production," Shanahan said. "There is no big secret there. Clinton Portis was a 1,500-yard back, 5.7 yards a carry, maybe 5.8, so why use two backs when a guy is that productive? When a guy's that good? Why would you use two backs when you had (Davis) getting 2,000 yards?

"It's up to the guy. If a guy is that productive, putting up those kinds of numbers and you're having success, there is no reason to use two backs. If he doesn't have that type of ability, that type of talent, then you switch them off to keep both guys healthy and be productive."

Shanahan believes Henry fits the profile of a potential workhorse. He has proved, in college and as a pro, he can handle plenty of work.

With a lower center of gravity than many backs, Henry also is built for the pounding he takes. He also finishes runs hard, which means he often dishes out as much impact as he takes by the time the run is over.

He had six 100-yard games last season for a Tennessee Titans team that finished 8-8. After taking a brief look at Ahman Green, the Broncos believed enough to give Henry a five-year deal - it came just two days after the Titans released him to avoid paying an $8.3 million roster bonus - that includes $12 million in guaranteed money.

"Coach Shanahan has been watching me since I've been in the league, he knows what type of back I am," Henry said. "I think that's why he got me here. I think he pretty much knows my game and what I'm about."

Tell the truth

Henry said one of the biggest things needed for a back to survive being the hub of a team's ground game is honesty. Take the ball as many times as he can, but also know when it's time for a series when someone else might get a few carries.

"When I'm tired and I can't go, I tap out," Henry said. "Because I have learned in the past, when you're tired, you can fumble, get hurt, get injured, so when I'm tired and I need a blow, I'm honest with them.

"Some guys want it all, and that's when, sometimes, something bad happens. If you've got a good backup and you need a blow and then he goes out there and busts a 20- or 30-yarder, let him stay in there. That's the way I feel about it. But with all that, I'll take the ball as many times as he wants to give it to me. I don't want it all, just most of it, I guess."

As always, Shanahan said, the bottom line is getting the job done.

"Would you like one guy to carry the load and gets 2,000 yards or carry the ball 400 times? Sure, you would," Shanahan said. "You want production. You want to win. Hopefully, you get the type of guy who can do that. And if you do, you keep giving him the ball."

Countdown

Ready for some football? The opening of Broncos training camp is a week away and the regular- season opener is in 50 days. Key dates:

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
      The reason Shanahan signed Travis in the FIRST place was because he wanted a power work house for the run game, which has been lacking the past three years. He wanted Travis to be the 20-25 carry workhouse!

And what in the world would have Dunn done last year with the beat up Oline? You think he would have been much better then either Young or Henry? Ha, I laugh if you believe that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
      First of all, 20-25 carries is not workhorse stauts! Second, Dunn ran for 1,400 with an O Line equivalent to what our line was last year! I assure you he would run for more. Besides what good is a power runner when he is hurt EVERY year?

Comment

Originally posted by cvnorton View Post
        He's exactly what we need........a washed up, overpaid, underacheiving, out of his prime scat back!!! Hurry don't let this guy slip away!!!

All Dunn has been one of the good guys in this league. He does his job. what hurts him is his size but he can be very effective and once in the open field is very dangerous. If you don't want him in denver is one thing but let's not make false accusation to discredit the guy.
        he's also a great character person, does a lot good off the field stuff(build homes)for single moms.
        i wouldn't have a probelm with him in Denver.
        Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
          I disagree with 100% of your post! Here it is quote for quote:

Shanny is shoring up the D. Kuotovides is the first in a number of moves. He probably wont go out and sign big money players though. We have limited cap space!!

Besides, our O line is a Concern. Dunn could help alleviate that with quick hitch passes out of the back field!

Atlanta needed to bring in a bigg name FA for a lot of reasons! They need to sell tickets, they need to rebuild the franchise, they need all the help they can to look attractive to other FA's right now with the turmoil they have had.

If Dunn's 1,400 yards two seasons ago is a downward spiral, I will take that over Henry's inability to not be a distraction and play all of 8 games a year!
          You can play GM all you want but you can't dispute facts. Turner was brought in because Atlanta wants a power running back and Dunn runs with as much power as my Chihuahua. And second of all Niko was brought in for special teams not defense. He was the Seahawks special teams captain. Now having said all that I am sure Shanny has a plan and will end up surprising us one way or another I just don't think he will bring a guy like Dunn in.
          Proud Member of the Legion of Doom Beadlemania Team Tebow

Comment

Oh, and here is ANOTHER source to prove my point....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...639427,00.html
            That article was crap! He was hurt again! It basically was all talk and no show!

Comment

Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
              All Dunn has been one of the good guys in this league. He does his job. what hurts him is his size but he can be very effective and once in the open field is very dangerous. If you don't want him in denver is one thing but let's not make false accusation to discredit the guy.
              he's also a great character person, does a lot good off the field stuff(build homes)for single moms.

Perfectly stated...touche!

Comment

First of all, 20-25 carries is not workhorse stauts! Second, Dunn ran for 1,400 with an O Line equivalent to what our line was last year! I assure you he would run for more. Besides what good is a power runner when he is hurt EVERY year?
                What? 20-25 is a workhorse! Especially by Shanahans' standards.

He even said that Young and Hall aren't workhorses.. more of 15-20 carries a game.

You think that 1,400 season from Dunn was the equivalent to our line last year?

Are you serious? We lost some of our best run blockers in both Nalen and Hamilton! And Lepsis clearly wasn't the same from his knee injury the season before that.

I would have loved seeing Dunn try to notch 1k with that line.

Comment

That article was crap! He was hurt again! It basically was all talk and no show!
                  Not to mention you highlighted the writer's opinion of Henry. If you read the whole article it talks about the importance of a RB to play hurt which Henry could not do!

Everything highlighted is useless if he is on the bench!

Comment

You still got off topic when I said Denver wanted a POWER running game, just like Atlanta did. Thus, that is the reason why Dunn got cut.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
                      Not discrediting him just stating facts as compared to other "elite" backs in the league. You guys make it seem like he's the second coming of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders. He is out of his prime and for what he will bring to a team he will be overpaid just like Tommy Kelly. I do agree with you he is a good person with high character but being a good person doesn't make you produce on the football field. The whole point of my argument is that Dunn will not bring anything new to us that we don't already have IMO. Just remember we had the leagues leading rusher last year until an injury and even Henry is not all that great.

Comment

What? 20-25 is a workhorse! Especially by Shanahans' standards.

He even said that Young and Hall aren't workhorses.. more of 15-20 carries a game.

You think that 1,400 season from Dunn was the equivalent to our line last year?

Are you serious? We lost some of our best run blockers in both Nalen and Hamilton! And Lepsis clearly wasn't the same from his knee injury the season before that.

I would have loved seeing Dunn try to notch 1k with that line.

Look at the season and the o line when Dunn ran that 1,400. You wouldnt dispute me on it at all! If Young and Hall aren't work horses and Henry can't stay healthy, how are we "stacked" and "fine" at the RB position as so many have stated?

Comment

LOL PWND!!

Dunn makes sense, but is not the answer to our RB woes. He's not as young as he used to be, but he's a class act. A guy you would want around your team because he's not selfish and doesn't get into trouble. He would be a great influence on Selvin Young and any young back we might get.

Comment

You still got off topic when I said Denver wanted a POWER running game, just like Atlanta did. Thus, that is the reason why Dunn got cut.
                            Denver DOES NOT and DID NOT want a power running game when we signed Henry!!! LOOK IT UP!!!

Shanny wanted a back who, like TD, could fall forward and break the first tackle or defender!! Something Tater Tot Bell was horrible at!

If we went to a power running scheme we would beef up the o line last year and this year and we wouldn't have cut the only true FB we had in Kyle Johnson!!!!!!
                            Last edited by jhildebrand; 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cvnorton View Post
                              Not discrediting him just stating facts as compared to other "elite" backs in the league. You guys make it seem like he's the second coming of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders. He is out of his prime and for what he will bring to a team he will be overpaid just like Tommy Kelly. I do agree with you he is a good person with high character but being a good person doesn't make you produce on the football field. The whole point of my argument is that Dunn will not bring anything new to us that we don't already have IMO. Just remember we had the leagues leading rusher last year until an injury and even Henry is not all that great.
                              Look, you keep saying he would be overpaid! Read my 1st post I stated he would be great if he signed a cap friendly 1-2 year deal! There is no way of knowing if he would be over paid.

You can state that Henry was leading in rushing before getting injured. Big deal! He has led the league plenty before getting hurt. HE ALWAYS GETS HURT THOUGH! That is like saying we were winning the super bowl before we lost it. The bottom line is what matters. Henry has only gone 1 season without injury and Dunn has only missed 10 games his WHOLE CAREER!

As far as him not bringing anything Henry doesnt already: he brings stability, knowledge of the system, class, and YARDS!

Comment

Denver DOES NOT and DID NOT want a power running game when we signed Henry!!! LOOK IT UP!!!

Shanny wanted a back who, like TD could fall forward and break the first tackle or defender!!

If we went to a power running scheme we would beef up the o line last year and this year and we wouldn't have cut the only true FB we had in Kyle Johnson!!!!!!
                                Isn't breaking tackles and falling forward compliments of a power back Dunn can break peoples ankles with his moves but he won't run over anyone like Shanny wants. Dunn to me is a smaller version of Tatum Bell.

Comment

Working...
                                X