Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dream's 10,000th Post - Here's his 10,000th Mock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I think you're off on Trevor Laws. First, I'm fairly certain he's going to be a 1st Round selection, and likely Top 20 pick. He is the same size as Sedrick Ellis, he is more productive, he is more athletic, he had an equally impressive Senior Bowl week, he had a better Combine, he is more intelligent, and he's a world class person. Trevor Laws is flawless as a 3-technique, but has the strength and wrestling background (God, I love wrestling DTs) to play Nose Tackle in the 4-3. After all things considered, he looks like the absolute best DT in this draft. He's simply better then Ellis on all comparisons, and he doesn't have Dorsey's injury history. There is absolutely no chance he doesn't go in the first round. None. That said, there is nobody I want on this team more. I'd be thrilled if we took him at #12.
    I would say Ellis is winning the production battle. I don't think Laws will be a round 1 pick, he did have a great senior bowl, but he came from far back. Prior to the senior bowl he was not given first day value. Unless the whole Dorsey injury gets very serious, I don't see more than 3 DT's chosen in the first and I think it will be Dorsey, Ellis and Balmer. I think Laws could leapfrog Sims and jump into the top of the 2nd, however I think the stink of Notre Dames historicly poor season will stick to him a little on draft day.

3. Quentin Demps is going to be drafted in the 2nd Round. He's easily the 3rd best safety behind Phillips and Morgan. He was a late 2nd rounder based on his ball skills alone, that 4.37 speed is ridiculous and he's probably the top rated FREE safety on teams' board. Getting him in the late 5th is just pure silliness. I'd bet almost anything he goes multiple rounds before that.
    I haven't seen him rated highly, that could of course be an oversight. I think a lot people who do rankings are leaning towards more physical safeties.

You could be right, I think Zbibowski and Decoud will drop on draft day. Reggie Smith is kind of a wild card because he could play FS or cover 2 CB.

Demps could end up in the 2nd or early 3rd, but S is such a weak position this year, I think teams might be scared to reach too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
      Here was my last complete detailed 3 Round mock "before the combine", I think alot of it held up, some obviously did not (Okam). In it we share the top two initial picks, but I think Laws moved up considerably since the Combine. I was really hoping you would do one of these before the Combine, but I guess you were stretched for time.

Hopefully, before the final draft, we can do a full 7 Rounder and see how we do in comparison. It's all in fun, there is just nobody else that does this to compare to and it sucks.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=111737

And I'm still holding true to this thread, where I'm looking pretty damn smart and clairvoyent so far. You seem to agree with the draft approach subheading as well.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=111355

So, we're largely on the same page. But like you said, the prospect valuation is different. My only rebuttal is spending literally hundreds of hours getting to know all 32 team needs and putting together a 3 round mock, really helps with value determination. I'll tweak it due to the Combine, Pro Days, and Free Agency when all is done.
      I'm getting into the final years of undergrad work and I'm also working part time, and I didn't have time to do a pre combine mock. Honestly, I don't like doing big mocks because (A) I don't care about anyone else but Denver and Green Bay and (B) It'd be absurd for me to try and get to know the needs of every team when I know I can't. Furthermore (C) None of us here have watched 300+ prospects, so there's no reason for me to act like I have. I never feel comfortable talking about players I haven't seen. Jerome Simpson was a hard pick to make, considering I got to watch some YouTube clips of him and that's it.

I pride myself in being able to follow the Broncos well and that I've been able to meet the good people I have over the years who brought forth the information they have, that I've in return brought here. I can't imagine putting time together doing a 7 round mock with every team when it's a battle to give reasoning on a seven round Broncos draft.

Maybe, but we'll see. I just don't have that kind of time, plus I've never liked doing big mocks. I'm a Broncos mock guy, that's what I care for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
        Coming soon. . . ETA: 30 minutes.
        Someone needs to get outside....

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
          I'm getting into the final years of undergrad work and I'm also working part time, and I didn't have time to do a pre combine mock. Honestly, I don't like doing big mocks because (A) I don't care about anyone else but Denver and Green Bay and (B) It'd be absurd for me to try and get to know the needs of every team when I know I can't. Furthermore (C) None of us here have watched 300+ prospects, so there's no reason for me to act like I have. I never feel comfortable talking about players I haven't seen. Jerome Simpson was a hard pick to make, considering I got to watch some YouTube clips of him and that's it.

I pride myself in being able to follow the Broncos well and that I've been able to meet the good people I have over the years who brought forth the information they have, that I've in return brought here. I can't imagine putting time together doing a 7 round mock with every team when it's a battle to give reasoning on a seven round Broncos draft.

Maybe, but we'll see. I just don't have that kind of time, plus I've never liked doing big mocks. I'm a Broncos mock guy, that's what I care for.

Understandable.

I do not like watching prospects. I'm more apt to let scouts, whom know more then I do, do that and then try and consolidate all the reports from the people that get it right most years. The only exception to a degree is DT, I like "trying" to scout DTs. I'm usually more right then wrong, but it sure looks like I whiffed on Okam this year. The sad thing is I actually did scout him in games, and he impressed me. I even charted every single play. I'm convinced he'll be a good player, but I don't know what the heck was up with showing up to the Combine massively overweight, I did not see that coming.

Anywho, I'm definitely more a fan of the NFL. I love following every team, and I've done that for several years now. It's very time consuming, and goofing around on 32 message boards is silly at times, but it is truly my favorite thing in life to do. The Broncos are my favorite team though by far, so this is my home, so to speak.

And I think we both share a love for the draft process that trumps the regular season. I love watching the Broncos play, I'd much rather it be draft time year round though. Team building excites me MUCH more then team playing. The interesting thing is that knowing every team makes doing mock draft work for the Broncos much easier in terms of player placement and draft value.

Anyway, you do great covering the Broncos, definitely no complaints there. And I generally agree with you much more then I disagree. I think you would really find it rewarding though to immerse yourself into the entire NFL. It's not as hard as you'd think to get a handle on every team. Generally, there is a guy just like you on every main team site. You locate that intelligent poster and he basically breaks down a team for you. Think about it, any fan from another team could read mine, yours, or certain other posters' epic posts, and be completely up to snuff on the Broncos needs, rumors, and criticisms. And Scout.Com helps a ton as well. There's not another site on the planet that covers every team and every player as well as they do.

In conclusion, I love your work. You need to do more. And I love your opinions. You're really the only guy I can compare my stuff to. I just wish you did more concerning the entire NFL and the draft, maybe when you're done with school.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
            I would say Ellis is winning the production battle. I don't think Laws will be a round 1 pick, he did have a great senior bowl, but he came from far back. Prior to the senior bowl he was not given first day value. Unless the whole Dorsey injury gets very serious, I don't see more than 3 DT's chosen in the first and I think it will be Dorsey, Ellis and Balmer. I think Laws could leapfrog Sims and jump into the top of the 2nd, however I think the stink of Notre Dames historicly poor season will stick to him a little on draft day.

By production, I was referring to college production, where Laws basically set records this past season. Ellis wasn't even in the same ballpark, despite having superior players surrounding him. You criticize Notre Dame (and rightfully so) as a crappy team and that "stink" will hurt Laws. I think it's the opposite. To do what he did, with every opposing team focusing on you because you're the leader of Notre Dame, and the only guy worth his salt in the front 7, and STILL dominate to unprecedented levels? OMG. Laws is amazing.

There is absolutely nothing Ellis has done that puts him above Laws. They are the same size, the same strength, the same type of player, etc... Ellis dominates on a team full of All-Stars. Laws dominates on a team full of scrubs despite constant double teams. And Dorsey has medical issues.

Kentwan Balmer has done nothing. He hasn't showed up in workouts, he skipped the Combine. And he was a one year wonder at North Carolina. Why he's ranked 3rd? I have no idea. Infact, I believe Mayock moved Laws up to 3rd.

As for Sims, Laws is already ahead of him. Sims was fat at the Combine. Laws is sculpted. And Sims has offfield issues following him around. Heck, Dre Moore might have jumped Sims at this point.

Right now, I can see Carolina, Chicago, and Detroit all taking Laws in the 1st Round, especially if we take Chris Williams. I think the Bucs at 20 could do it, and I really expect the Titans to take him if he makes it to 24.

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
            I haven't seen him rated highly, that could of course be an oversight. I think a lot people who do rankings are leaning towards more physical safeties.

You could be right, I think Zbibowski and Decoud will drop on draft day. Reggie Smith is kind of a wild card because he could play FS or cover 2 CB.

Demps could end up in the 2nd or early 3rd, but S is such a weak position this year, I think teams might be scared to reach too much.

I don't think Decoud will drop, he should go in the 3rd Round. He's solid. And Zbikowski won't go any later then the 4th. He got some well deserved recognition at the Combine.

Reggie Smith is going in the late 1st Round to somebody, he could even move up to the mid-1st with an impressive Pro Day. He and Malcolm Kelly, the WR, are damn good, and people aren't talking about them quite yet because they haven't worked out and are juniors.

I fully expect the Chargers and Jags to take Kenny Phillips and Reggie Smith at this point in time in the 1st. The Green Bay fans are clammoring for a Safety as well, they don't like Bigby. But I don't think they'll go that route.

In the 2nd Round, I think Carolina will take SS DaJuan Morgan if he's available at the upper part. And then it's Demps. I don't think he gets past the Giants at the end of the Round. Safety is their biggest need. And New England and Philly are right there as well. It's possible Decoud goes in the late 2nd as well, and then you have the darkhorse in Josh Barrett, whom was a 1st Round projection last year if he had come out, but he was nicked up all this season. He just blew up the Combine at a ridiculous size and speed.

This is a fabulous draft for Safeties. The elite guy is not there, but there are a ton of starters available, and Demps is the best ball-hawk and Ed Reed clone of the entire group.

Comment

Denver has to take a OT and DT first and second. Rebuild the lines. then add the sweets and with this draft of yours it would go along way towards doing so. i would like to see a DT in the fourth. over a wideout. well have to make due there this year. and add a PR KR in the seventh that might challenge for the top five

I dont want to see denver with out a third so i would have to make a move to pick up a choice or two in the middle rounds
              The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
              While he sits by his hearth at home.
              Quickly finds when questioned by others .
              That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Dream, I have to say the mock is good, but what has Shanny said that makes you think he will draft an OT? All I've heard is him saying he thinks the OTs are good. That implies to me that we won't get one in the 1st.
                sigpic
                Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Working...
                X