Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Broncos Free Agent Rumor (G Jake Scott)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Broncos Free Agent Rumor (G Jake Scott)

    Colts free agent G Jake Scott will visit with the Titans today.
    After losing Jacob Bell to the Rams, the Titans are looking at other options at guard. Scott has also received interest from the Broncos and Texans.

    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....05008/-1/RSS05

  • #2
    Thsi would be a great signing, he would provide quality depth inside and can also play a little tackle, at the very least this would allow us to move Kuper out to tackle!

    Comment


    • #3
      If we got Scott, he'd be a starter - I just wonder how much he'd cost. I'm all for help on the offensive line; and perhaps he's it. With guards getting big contracts, I just don't know what we could do.

      We're around 13 million in cap room right now; I'm figuring we'll get Boss and Marlon, so you can probably take that down to about 9.5 or so; and we'd have room for a guy like Scott; but would we want to spend it?

      Scott is better than Jacob Bell; who signed a 6 year - 36 million dollar deal. I don't think we'd be willing to shell out that much money, but you just never know.

      Comment


      • #4
        well, first we need to get rid of the crap from our team *coughhenrycough*
        That might open up our cap a little. Then we can see Mr. Scott, draft C. Williams, put Myers in and our Oline is good for the next 20 years (not really).
        No surprise -- LT left his balls on the bench

        No wonder Haynesworth is asking for so much money. Being a hitman is expensive.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dream View Post
          If we got Scott, he'd be a starter - I just wonder how much he'd cost. I'm all for help on the offensive line; and perhaps he's it. With guards getting big contracts, I just don't know what we could do.

          We're around 13 million in cap room right now; I'm figuring we'll get Boss and Marlon, so you can probably take that down to about 9.5 or so; and we'd have room for a guy like Scott; but would we want to spend it?

          Scott is better than Jacob Bell; who signed a 6 year - 36 million dollar deal. I don't think we'd be willing to shell out that much money, but you just never know.
          Scott would be a great addition, not sure of the fiscal restrictions but I do know Marshall will be our highest priority next year, but we will have some good space next year: John Lynch (UFA/Retire), Nalen (UFA/Retire) plus about thirteen others who are not really foundational for the core of the team, such as Webster. So I think Scott would be feesable if he is goes with bonus latent contract Dream; also if you look to 2010 we have alot of room that can be manuveured such as if D.J. still does not live up to his potential he could be used in trade for the final year of his contract, but 2010 is a huge year for us...UFA: Marshall, Young, Dumervil, Williams, Hamilton, Holland, Kuper, Scheffler and Winborn among others are all free agents, so we have to lock some of them in. Next year though we could trade Williams and Hamilton and free up some cap space...I think somehow if we want him that we can work something out.

          Comment


          • #6
            I could see Scott taking the place of Holland on the right side... possibly starting over Hamilton if he is unable to come back 100%.

            And with Holland as a rotational guy, I think we would have solid depth on the interior o-line. Myers could still play backup center when, (oops) if Nalen goes down. And obviously, that would free up Kuper to add depth to the tackle position.

            He'd be a great signing, but I wouldn't break the bank for him.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I like this a lot. It brings in a proven O-lineman to help protect Jay and allows the Broncs to focus on our needs at D-line, S, LB, & WR in the draft.

              I'd definitely like focus on DT early in the draft the best.
              Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
              FF is awesome!

              Comment


              • #8
                I wouldn't mind this signing... BUT... don't we have Holland, Hamilton, Kuper & Myers?

                I think Kuper could be an All-Pro guard some day... I would love to throw him in the mix and let him get the experience. Even if Hamilton isn't able to play... we still have Holland and Myers?

                I guess this move would ensure we wouldn't be screwed if Hamilton was unable to return... OR if Nalen got hurt. Hamilton could slide to center in that case.

                Still... if we grab Scott... Add that to Hamilton & Nalen... Kuper, Holland and Myers backing them up... Harris and Pears (with Kuper helping out at tackle)... Would we still go OT in the 1st round?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  I wouldn't mind this signing... BUT... don't we have Holland, Hamilton, Kuper & Myers?

                  I think Kuper could be an All-Pro guard some day... I would love to throw him in the mix and let him get the experience. Even if Hamilton isn't able to play... we still have Holland and Myers?

                  I guess this move would ensure we wouldn't be screwed if Hamilton was unable to return... OR if Nalen got hurt. Hamilton could slide to center in that case.

                  Still... if we grab Scott... Add that to Hamilton & Nalen... Kuper, Holland and Myers backing them up... Harris and Pears (with Kuper helping out at tackle)... Would we still go OT in the 1st round?
                  Jake Scott would take over a starting Guard position and also can slide over and play tackle if Pears or Harris don't work out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Scott turns 27 soon... Kuper and Myers are young with potential... We hope at least one of Harris-Pears combo will be starting for a while... Say we draft a tackle in the 1st this year... We would have Cutler's O-line for the next 5-7 years!

                    Playing together... just think how strong they would be in 2-3 years!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      this would be very good. i hope we sign him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                        Jake Scott would take over a starting Guard position and also can slide over and play tackle if Pears or Harris don't work out.
                        Actually his versatility could be the reason we are looking to him, that or maybe they are not sold on one the guards...but I think the other is more likely...Maybe they feel he could be a starting tackle, that is quite possible...I just know he would be a big boost to our line.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                          Scott turns 27 soon... Kuper and Myers are young with potential... We hope at least one of Harris-Pears combo will be starting for a while... Say we draft a tackle in the 1st this year... We would have Cutler's O-line for the next 5-7 years!

                          Playing together... just think how strong they would be in 2-3 years!
                          Ya so what if he is 27 L O L. I'll take 27 and established over 25 and 26 yo w/potential anyday of the week.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                            I wouldn't mind this signing... BUT... don't we have Holland, Hamilton, Kuper & Myers?

                            I think Kuper could be an All-Pro guard some day... I would love to throw him in the mix and let him get the experience. Even if Hamilton isn't able to play... we still have Holland and Myers?

                            I guess this move would ensure we wouldn't be screwed if Hamilton was unable to return... OR if Nalen got hurt. Hamilton could slide to center in that case.

                            Still... if we grab Scott... Add that to Hamilton & Nalen... Kuper, Holland and Myers backing them up... Harris and Pears (with Kuper helping out at tackle)... Would we still go OT in the 1st round?
                            If we get Scott, and if Shanny is looking to keep his job, he should go with immediate impact people in round 1. That's Mendenhall, or a highly touted defensive player who slips into our playground. At pick #12 good things can happen! I'd go for an OT a little further down (still hoping for a 3rd rounder / otherwise 4th).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hmm, if we do get him and pick up an OT in the draft we may well be set for a long time. We'd also have a lot of versatility on the line which is great because we usually only carry 8-9 linemen. The problem with last season was just the lack of playing time together I believe. The ZBS relies on concerted movement and making precise moves as a unit. Chopping and changing the line on any team (moreso in ZBS) will disrupt the unit. Thinking about, after Nalen went down we had NONE of the same linemen playing from the line that finished in 06. (06: Pears-Hamilton-Nalen-Carlisle-Foster; 07: Lepsis-Kuper-Myers-Holland-Pears). And yes, Pears was still on the line but in a completely different position. Considering he's played two different positions in his two years in the ZBS...I think we should cut him a little slack. He's struggled a bit, true, but he's done well considering that he's not had much experience in the Denver system.

                              So...potentially going into the season we could have:

                              T: Harris, Pears, Rookie
                              G: Myers, Kuper, Hamilton, Holland, Scott
                              C: Nalen

                              That's a good group of players and I'd be interested to see who wins the camp battles because Holland's played very well (especially considering his size). Hamilton may be the one losing out depending on how he handles his injury rehab.

                              The question is - where do we take a tackle, if indeed we take one? it'd be prudent to considering the depth in the draft and in case Harris or Pears don't show up this year. I'd love to see Chris Williams here; however that does put a lot of pressure on Harris considering that (I hear) he's better at LT than RT.

                              All in all we've had good stability on our line since Shanny took over and I hope we keep it that way. Also I hope we see one or two of that group become the anchor for the unit. I think Chris Myers may well be that guy; he did become the leader of the line last season after all. Hopefully we'll see him get a long contract extension next season.

                              We've had a lot of problems, yes, but the more these guys play together, the better they'll become. The average starting age of our finishing line last year was well under thirty in a complicated system and it showed. As they mature though I think we'll be back to prominence in both running game and low sack stats
                              sigpic

                              Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

                              Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X