Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Boss, McCree & Scott

Broncos trying to land Bailey, McCree

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Originally published 05:34 p.m., March 5, 2008

They’ve wined and dined. Now, it’s time to see if the Denver Broncos can get some free agents signed.

Linebacker Boss Bailey and safety Marlon McCree hit town Wednesday and were ushered off to a nice meal and planned to go to the Denver Nuggets-Phoenix Suns NBA game.

The heart of the two defenders’ visits to the city, though, will take place Thursday when they meet with the coaching staff at Denver’s Dove Valley headquarters to discuss their potential roles. Their agents then will presumably take over from there.

Bailey, brother of Denver cornerback Champ and late of the Detroit Lions, could fill the vacancy in the starting lineup left behind by Ian Gold’s release. But Green Bay, Houston and Atlanta also are in pursuit.

McCree played 30 games over the last two seasons for the San Diego Chargers, and will likely choose between Buffalo, Denver and Carolina sometime this week. Denver also is planning on bringing in another safety, Carolina’s Marquand Manuel, Friday.

The Broncos have also expressed interest in Indianapolis Colts guard Jake Scott and could bring him in for a future visit.

Scott left Tennessee on Wednesday. The Titans have a void in their starting lineup with starting guard Jacob Bell signing with St. Louis.

The Houston Texans are also in the hunt for Scott’s services. The four-year pro broke into the Colts’ starting lineup midway through his rookie season in 2004 and has since been a fixture at right guard for the potent Indy offense.

At 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, Scott also has played right tackle in a pinch and has the athleticism Denver covets in its linemen.

If they leave town tomorrow... NO DEAL. If they like what they hear... agents do their thing... We should have them signed by tomorrow afternoon.

Scott might be another story though.

Comment

so we have to wait until tomorrow. Looks like Denver is making some necessary moves to fill in it's roster holes. I would be happy if we signed Bailey, McCree, the OT and Roy Williams. You never really know who is going to be shopped around for a trade from here on out until week 6 of the regular season. Don't give up hope on our team!

Comment

Originally posted by Saucy View Post
        so we have to wait until tomorrow. Looks like Denver is making some necessary moves to fill in it's roster holes. I would be happy if we signed Bailey, McCree, the OT and Roy Williams. You never really know who is going to be shopped around for a trade from here on out until week 6 of the regular season. Don't give up hope on our team!

Colbert, Niko, Boss, McCree and Scott would be a helluva free agent period... If we could snag Rod Coleman... We could call it in and prepare for the draft!

Comment

Whats funny is that in my Madden 2008 Broncos franchise, I signed both Boss and McCree after the 2007 season (which the Broncos won the super bowl teehee). Would be pretty radical if they both get signed in real life.

Comment

Well hopefully Champ will be a major part of his little brother coming to Denver and McCree would be a great addition to the defence also !!!!!!

let's just hope we pull out the wallet and pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

missing something

What don't I know about Boss Bailey that should have me excited about him talking to us?
              His numbers aren't big by any means and I don't think they compare that well to DJ when he played strongside. Did the Lions not use him properly. If he's good why don't they try to keep him?

Similarly with McCree; we've played against him a bit and I never saw anything to make me think "man I wish we had that guy instead of Lynch or Abdullah." Is he purely coming here for depth?
              "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Didn't you see Marlon Mcree's hit on Reggie Wayne in the end of that Colts Chargers game? The one that basically sealed the game

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
                  What don't I know about Boss Bailey that should have me excited about him talking to us?
                  His numbers aren't big by any means and I don't think they compare that well to DJ when he played strongside. Did the Lions not use him properly. If he's good why don't they try to keep him?

Similarly with McCree; we've played against him a bit and I never saw anything to make me think "man I wish we had that guy instead of Lynch or Abdullah." Is he purely coming here for depth?
                  They're not superstars. But they are solid players that would fill needs (this is most likely Lynch's last year). Hopefully none will break the bank, although all these free agents seem to be getting overpaid.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I believe Boss Bailey is a lock to sign here.

I think McCree will go to Carolina where he can start. He's likely a 3rd stringer here. I think we can sign Manuel though.

Jake Scott will sign with Tennessee, that's a lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                      I believe Boss Bailey is a lock to sign here.

I think McCree will go to Carolina where he can start. He's likely a 3rd stringer here. I think we can sign Manuel though.

Jake Scott will sign with Tennessee, that's a lock.
                      You think McCree would sit behind Hamza Abdullah? The guy that Shanny thought so much of that he only gave him a seventh round tender - which means he's hoping someone takes a flyer on him and coughs up a seventh rounder for him. McCree is better than anyone we have right now. A lot of guys liked Gibril Wilson and/or Madieu Williams but McCree is just as good (he's just older). I'd love to have McCree start at SS next to Lynch. Big hitters back there!

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post

Think about it like this with Boss and McCree.

At this point, it's very conceivable that it's them, or nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
                          You think McCree would sit behind Hamza Abdullah? The guy that Shanny thought so much of that he only gave him a seventh round tender - which means he's hoping someone takes a flyer on him and coughs up a seventh rounder for him. McCree is better than anyone we have right now. A lot of guys liked Gibril Wilson and/or Madieu Williams but McCree is just as good (he's just older). I'd love to have McCree start at SS next to Lynch. Big hitters back there!
                          When did our defensive backfield become a retirement facility? If Abdullah is not the guy, what would be the average age of our defensive backs? 33, 32? At all four positions...sounds like it did back in our Super Bowl years...Atwater, Braxton, Crockett and Gordon, wasn't the average age 30? Hahaha...maybe that is what Shanahan is thinking. And they already said they are not impressed with the safeties of this class. Next year's number one pick I believe will be safety most honestly then.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                            Think about it like this with Boss and McCree.

At this point, it's very conceivable that it's them, or nobody.
                            not a bad last resort. Both could start and stay for a few years.
                            vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

I'd love Scott, but he could get a real nice contract. . . has versatility. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X