10 and 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 and 6

Hi I'm Dave....my first thread (go ahead, I can take a hit!)

I believe 10 and 6 is possible this year, which in most cases will get you into the playoffs. Sure we finished 7 and 9, but given the injuries to some key players (Nalen, Walker, Henry??, etc.) and throw in the Green Bay and Chicago losses, I think 9 and 7 was a real possibility with the team we started the year off with. Hey, injuries and close games happen to everyone. No argument there. But, as a base, we have the makings of a playoff team.

So if we take that further, lets see why there's room for optimism. First, we're getting some of the gang back. The oline should be better, even without new additions. (Don't worry, I still expect a move to bring in someone with experience, but at a reasonable cost). And what's even better, we have a nucleus of good, young players who will continue to mature and improve, especially the dline. Jay too is improving. We sometimes forget how long it takes to become a great QB. Jay is on track.

As for FA / trades, I do believe there will be some noise coming our way. But in hindsight, they probably are doing the right thing by staying out of the big money transactions. I can go on for hours, but what the Raiders are doing is ridiculous!! Do they have different currency in Oakland?? It's almost sad, other than G. Wilson. But to continue, maybe we come to expect expensive deals on a regular basis, like last year. It's the hype sometimes. It's fun and exciting, like blockbuster deals. But when you weigh things, last year's moves cost us. Conversely, Kearney would have been nice, but you can't win them all. So, lets stay the course (I guess we don't have much say in any of this!?), and the end result may be very positive. Maybe we will get that experienced OT or DT somehow, someway.

Now on to the draft. I won't give you all the details, but at a high level, I would like the following...... (here's where I lose about 1/2 or more of you) get Mendenhall. He can find holes, he can make holes, he has the tools!! I like him a bit more than McFadden. I'll take the extra power / muscle for 1/10th of a second. Can you imagine the 2 "M's" on offence! Okay, moving on, throw in Trevor Laws, find a 3rd pick, and add a couple of OLmen (Zuttah's interesting), a solid, speedy WR, and fill remaining gaps / depth requirements at that point (remember high level draft analysis).

Concerns.... Lets just assume that injuries are a factor for every team. If we have depth, we will be fine. But I will be concerned if we don't make those obvious transactions (OT/DT), and if we don't move away from "non character" players. I'm hoping Marcus stays motivated, and makes the right decisions. And then there's Travis...

I am also hoping to see some more creativity in the offence. Use those TE's better. And find some "go to" guys, the way Faulk is used in NE. Of course Mendenhall would have an immediate impact there.

Finally, make special teams "special".

So yeah, 10 and 6 is a real possibility. Hey, once you get into that zone, another win or two can happen.....

I agree with you! I like Mendenhall, and I think we win 10 or more this upcoming year!

Comment

Most posters here like Mendenhall. I'm in the minority that doesn't, at least not enough to draft him in the 1st round.

Comment

I wouldnt be upset with Mendenhall, but only if we cant get a good offensive or defensive lineman.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Hi I'm Dave....my first thread (go ahead, I can take a hit!)

I believe 10 and 6 is possible this year, which in most cases will get you into the playoffs. Sure we finished 7 and 9, but given the injuries to some key players (Nalen, Walker, Henry??, etc.) and throw in the Green Bay and Chicago losses, I think 9 and 7 was a real possibility with the team we started the year off with. Hey, injuries and close games happen to everyone. No argument there. But, as a base, we have the makings of a playoff team.

So if we take that further, lets see why there's room for optimism. First, we're getting some of the gang back. The oline should be better, even without new additions. (Don't worry, I still expect a move to bring in someone with experience, but at a reasonable cost). And what's even better, we have a nucleus of good, young players who will continue to mature and improve, especially the dline. Jay too is improving. We sometimes forget how long it takes to become a great QB. Jay is on track.

As for FA / trades, I do believe there will be some noise coming our way. But in hindsight, they probably are doing the right thing by staying out of the big money transactions. I can go on for hours, but what the Raiders are doing is ridiculous!! Do they have different currency in Oakland?? It's almost sad, other than G. Wilson. But to continue, maybe we come to expect expensive deals on a regular basis, like last year. It's the hype sometimes. It's fun and exciting, like blockbuster deals. But when you weigh things, last year's moves cost us. Conversely, Kearney would have been nice, but you can't win them all. So, lets stay the course (I guess we don't have much say in any of this!?), and the end result may be very positive. Maybe we will get that experienced OT or DT somehow, someway.

Now on to the draft. I won't give you all the details, but at a high level, I would like the following...... (here's where I lose about 1/2 or more of you) get Mendenhall. He can find holes, he can make holes, he has the tools!! I like him a bit more than McFadden. I'll take the extra power / muscle for 1/10th of a second. Can you imagine the 2 "M's" on offence! Okay, moving on, throw in Trevor Laws, find a 3rd pick, and add a couple of OLmen (Zuttah's interesting), a solid, speedy WR, and fill remaining gaps / depth requirements at that point (remember high level draft analysis).

Concerns.... Lets just assume that injuries are a factor for every team. If we have depth, we will be fine. But I will be concerned if we don't make those obvious transactions (OT/DT), and if we don't move away from "non character" players. I'm hoping Marcus stays motivated, and makes the right decisions. And then there's Travis...

I am also hoping to see some more creativity in the offence. Use those TE's better. And find some "go to" guys, the way Faulk is used in NE. Of course Mendenhall would have an immediate impact there.

Finally, make special teams "special".

So yeah, 10 and 6 is a real possibility. Hey, once you get into that zone, another win or two can happen.....
          Welcome to the Board...

As far as Mendenhall, I agree...he is so much a combination of power and speed, his cutback ability is amazing, plus he has a never say die motor.

Right now I think our first three picks will be HB, DT, OT and Followed by WR and again another OL and DL, lastly we will take someone for Special Teams, to bad we can not find a great Punter who can also kick field goals and have an open slot!...lol.

Comment

I think that's a good number. I see a 10 - 6 season to be most likely.

Comment

Trust me i really hate to disagree with you on this one. I think the broncos wont have a better record than 8-8. I dont like saying that but we just dont have anyone other than DJ and Elvis on the front 7. John Lynch is getting old (did he retire) and we dont have a real SS. Champ cant carry our defense and our O-Line is getting older...Who is gonna be our starting left tackle next year? So far we havnt gotten anything through free agency, and i dont think the draft is that deep this year. I HOPE IM WRONG, but i doubt it
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cutler7624 View Post
                Trust me i really hate to disagree with you on this one. I think the broncos wont have a better record than 8-8. I dont like saying that but we just dont have anyone other than DJ and Elvis on the front 7. John Lynch is getting old (did he retire) and we dont have a real SS. Champ cant carry our defense and our O-Line is getting older...Who is gonna be our starting left tackle next year? So far we havnt gotten anything through free agency, and i dont think the draft is that deep this year. I HOPE IM WRONG, but i doubt it
                You have your reasons.....and I will change the forecast if we don't make some decent moves/acquisitions in the next couple of months. Shanny and company have some work to do, and if they don't find a way to upgrade those areas that we "all" seem to be aware of (except we don't get the salary and benefits!!), then the Broncos tradition, or what I believe it represents, is going in the wrong direction. I think what we all need right now is a cool one (being from Canada, and not knowing the etiquette, is it mandatory to drink Coors???? - trust me I have) and a good signing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by cutler7624 View Post
                  Here is why you are wrong: Ekuban, Engleberger, and Moss returning add depth and take a horrible patchwork of a D-line, decimated by injury last year, adn return it to a form that will be mediocre at worst. At best, without adding anyone, this line can be respectable against the run and slightly better at rushing the passer.

At safety John Lynch is aging. We will probably resign Abdullah rather than taking a 7th round pick for him. I am banking on signing McCree tomorrow who is at least as good as what we have, plus he is familiar against San Diego and could help us plan for them. He adds depth to a position that lacked depth with two injuries last year.

Our linebackers are getting better. Winborn finally got some playing time after it was clear that Gold was finished. He has a non-stop motor and will be a solid backup at the very least. Adding Boss Bailey and Niko Koutouvides will add speed to LB. Niko comes from one of the dominant LB cores in the league, one that really hoped they could keep him, and he is a HUGE asset on special teams. Our special teams woes were in blocking as much as returning. winborn and Koutouvides should fix that.

On defense we will draft at least one elite player on day one and that is a conservative estimate. With system familiarity, the defense should be much better this year.

Losing Javon Walker won't make anything worse than it was a year ago. He was never a factor. This year; however, we have knowledge of our need to add depth at the position. We will find a compliment to Marshall/Stokley and we have already added that elusive depth with Colbert.

Lepsis didn't play last year so his retirement won't be a downgrade. We have other injured players coming back on O line. We will draft here as well. The line will be like night and day improved from last year.

it seems likely that we will get a huge boost at RB this year from somewhere. this draft is deep and look for an exciting pick. Even without one, we will improve and not stagnate. Henry is on a mission.

So welcome to the board, to the starter of this thread. I see your 10-6 and raise you at least one game to 11-5. As for 8-8, I can't see how that happens...no way.
                  vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

Working...
                  X