The "Problem" With OT at #12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Problem" With OT at #12

I put problem in inverted commas as I firmly believe that Denver's O-Line is definitely in need of an upgrade, so taking a Chris Williams at #12 is an understandable move, and not really something I'd have a problem with us doing at all, quite frankly.

However, my question is as follows.

If we were to take Chris Williams, or Ryan Clady for that matter, with the #12 selection in the draft, what then becomes of Ryan Harris?

Harris is very much a finesse blocker, and projects an an out-and-out LT to me. If we take an OT at #12, it's not going to be one to play at RT, you can bank on that. We would be basically designating the guy as our franchise LT for the foreseeable future, and in a sense giving up on Ryan Harris in his natural position before the guy has ever played a snap there for us.

Do people think Harris would be a good RT or can play elsewhere on the line? If so, where?

As much as OT is a need for us NOW, I honestly will be surprised if we go and get one at #12. I expect it'll be the 4th round before we see the O-Line addressed, as much as it will distress some people.

Honestly, at this point, I think Mendenhall or Stewart are more likely than an OT. Denver may trade down and get one of the 2nd tier DT's or maybe a LB later in the 1st round, in which case I could see them picking up Baker in the 2nd round to play RT.

But, call me crazy, I just think I'd be very surprised to see us take an OT at #12.

Shanny has more than once said he thinks our tackles our good, and that's why I don't think we will get one in the 1st.
    sigpic
    Made by Houshmazode

Comment

shanny also sits lineman for a year till they are ready as well so if we pick an o-line guy next year he cant play till 2010. there really is no difference between picking in the 4th or 1st this year, because either way they will probally sit unless injury hits. But since we seem to have the injury bug the last couple years i would rather have a 1st rd starter than a 4th rd starter, even though there are some good guys in the later rds.

a good option would be to trade our 12th pick to the redskins for their 21/51 picks so our first three picks look like this....

1. OL sam baker the best pure ZBS blocker in the draft
      2. DT dre moore
      3. DT trevor laws

i would be very happy with this..........

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie Man View Post
        Shanny has more than once said he thinks our tackles our good, and that's why I don't think we will get one in the 1st.
        When? I clearly remember him being quoted by a MNF crew how much he envied the Patriots and Cowboys lines...
        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
          When? I clearly remember him being quoted by a MNF crew how much he envied the Patriots and Cowboys lines...

you are correct.......for those thinking he really has much faith in harris and pears.......he likes them but he still envies a great o-line so the chance to help obtain that in the 1st is a very real possibility!!!! also since we look at zbs guys that leaves us with ryan clady, chris williams, Sam baker, And Duane Brown as good potential canidates.

Comment

Ryan Harris has proved just as much as Ryan Clady, Chris Williams or even Sam Baker on the pro level thus far. I don't know why it'd be so hard for him to make a move over to RT, a position which is usually much easier to play than LT.

I know I would have absolutely no problem with Denver drafting an OT in the first round, a pick where someone usually tends to have a little more talent than someone we'd pick in like the 5th.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Schism View Post
              I put problem in inverted commas as I firmly believe that Denver's O-Line is definitely in need of an upgrade, so taking a Chris Williams at #12 is an understandable move, and not really something I'd have a problem with us doing at all, quite frankly.

However, my question is as follows.

If we were to take Chris Williams, or Ryan Clady for that matter, with the #12 selection in the draft, what then becomes of Ryan Harris?

Harris is very much a finesse blocker, and projects an an out-and-out LT to me. If we take an OT at #12, it's not going to be one to play at RT, you can bank on that. We would be basically designating the guy as our franchise LT for the foreseeable future, and in a sense giving up on Ryan Harris in his natural position before the guy has ever played a snap there for us.

Do people think Harris would be a good RT or can play elsewhere on the line? If so, where?

As much as OT is a need for us NOW, I honestly will be surprised if we go and get one at #12. I expect it'll be the 4th round before we see the O-Line addressed, as much as it will distress some people.

Honestly, at this point, I think Mendenhall or Stewart are more likely than an OT. Denver may trade down and get one of the 2nd tier DT's or maybe a LB later in the 1st round, in which case I could see them picking up Baker in the 2nd round to play RT.

But, call me crazy, I just think I'd be very surprised to see us take an OT at #12.
              From what I've read, Harris can play RT and both guard spots, so if he's good we can find a way to use him.

I also think that the importance of the RT, especially from a pass-protection standpoint, has increased in the past couple of years with teams lining up pass-rushers at both DE spots or if they have only one top-tier pass-rusher, switching him between RDE and LDE to throw off the offense (like we do with Elvis and the Texans do with Mario). The success of the Giants as well as that of the 3-4 defense will only further this trend. It is therefore important (much more than it has been in the past) to have a very good (not necessarily elite) pass-blocking RT. I, for one, would rather see Harris at RT than Pears.

Of course, it's not a lock that a Clady or a Williams will come in and beat out Harris. The team is high on the latter (though in his season-ending presser, Shanahan subtly excluded both our current tackles from the group of linemen he said he felt good about) and he could turn into a pro-bowl LT. However, the biggest concern with him is not talent (like it is with Pears), but his ability to stay on the field. LT is not a position we can have that kind of uncertainty over. So, we bring in an elite talent like Clady or Williams to compete with Harris.

If Harris can't stay healthy, these guys give us the best shot at ably protecting Cutler's blindside for the next ten years. If Harris stays healthy and performs at a high level, and our first-round OT is a bust (as can happen with any first-round pick), we have Harris at LT and hopefully the first-rounder at RT (if he's not a total bust). If both Harris and the first-rounder pan out as expected, then we're looking at more time for Cutler to shred opposing defenses. If both pan out and Pears shows a quantum leap in his performance (not out of the question), then one of them could net us a first-day pick. If we end up with three good tackles, we are in a very good situation.

I realize I've rambled on for a bit, but hopefully I've provided some food for thought.
              Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

While I'm not rooting for a 1st round OT... NOr am I against it...

A RB can step in a play right away... BUT... normally... it takes time for OL... SO, why wait... Let's get our O-line in order... Let them develop as a unit...

I like Kuper... I think he can be an All-Pro guard in this league. So, we have something to build on...

I do agree that taking an OT would be wise. WE BETTER CHOOSE WISELY though... Better not miss. BUT, if we do hit a HR and grab our future OT, that would help.

ADD to that...

Instead of relying, depending, needing BOTH Harris and Pears to be studs, now we would only require one to achieve that status...

SO...

We could have three-fifths of our O-Line for years to come. SO, as Cutler gained his experience... This line would be blossoming into a formidable unit.

As we know... the next step after having a O-line filled w/ players... is to have them play as one unit. With every year they play together... they get better with that experience.

SO... why not start the clock now on that development...

ON TOP OF THAT... This is a very, very solid OT class. DEN will have their pick of the #2-3 OT... I couldn't argue with this pick... not at all!

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                  you are correct.......for those thinking he really has much faith in harris and pears.......he likes them but he still envies a great o-line so the chance to help obtain that in the 1st is a very real possibility!!!! also since we look at zbs guys that leaves us with ryan clady, chris williams, Sam baker, And Duane Brown as good potential canidates.
                  Williams in not from a zone scheme, he could fit it...do not confuse the two. And there are several others in this draft that fit. Nicks, Benedict and Otah while big are quick and would IMHO also be able to learn the scheme...but if you want to talk about guys who are automatic fits into the system then lets talk about them - Kirk Barton from Ohio State, next to Jake Long he is probably the best tackle in this draft from the Big Ten and he like Long are perfect for the zone, Sam Baker is from a zone scheme except he is projected as a right tackle at the next level...but others who also fit would be Cherilus, Collins, Hills, Greco, Cousins, Murphy, Polumbus, Brown, Zuttah, Sosa, Clark, Manu, Dunlap, Bell, Silver, Millington and Hale...these are all guys who fit well or are from a system which utilizes the zone and/or use it as the main line scheme.

Comment

Working...
                  X