Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do not, I repeat, do not draft a RB in the 1st round.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not, I repeat, do not draft a RB in the 1st round.

I am begging you, Mike Shanahan, please don't draft a RB in the 1st round. I know Stewart and Mendanhall look tempting to take at number 12 but this draft is stock full of stud backs. You can easily take Steve Slaton in the later rounds.

Aren't you tired of coaching em up type backs? I want to be feared again at the RB position. It makes the whole team better, because the defense has to try to stop the run first. Playaction gets better, pass rush gets slower.

I am not saying that we need to take a RB in the first, but I think that we need to consider it. Stewart makes an instant impact on this team, Clady doesn't play until next year.
    Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by askt_randall View Post
      I am begging you, Mike Shanahan, please don't draft a RB in the 1st round. I know Stewart and Mendanhall look tempting to take at number 12 but this draft is stock full of stud backs. You can easily take Steve Slaton in the later rounds.
      Steve Slaton proved last year, on the field, that he is not an every down back. He will be a change of pace back at best in this league. He is soft, does not fight for yards, and is slower than once thought.

Steve Slaton is a slower, weaker version of Tatum Bell. I will give you the fact that he can catch the ball out of the backfield better, but as a runner and blocker he is a very poor man's Bell.

There are other potential stud backs in the draft, I certainly agree with that, but Slaton is not one of them.

Comment

an OT will not play 1st year... We need an immediate impact that can get us over the hump.. We need 10+ TD's a season, Stewart will get the job done with Schmitt leading the charge @ FB with our 4th round pick

Comment

Originally posted by lolad View Post
          an OT will not play 1st year... We need an immediate impact that can get us over the hump.. We need 10+ TD's a season, Stewart will get the job done with Schmitt leading the charge @ FB with our 4th round pick
          In past history an OT/OG would not play in the first year for the Denver Broncos.

Then again, I don't think our tackle position has ever been so inexperienced/depleted that it COULD very well happen this year.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
            In past history an OT/OG would not play in the first year for the Denver Broncos.

Then again, I don't think our tackle position has ever been so inexperienced/depleted that it COULD very well happen this year.
            That's where you're confused, we do have experience.. They may not have the experience that we have usually had on the line but every player we have except for harris has started games and knows our scheme.

We are going to ask a rookie to learn our ZBS in weeks time then learn how to hold up vs elite NFL DE's in the league? You have to be kidding

Comment

That's where you're confused, we do have experience.. They may not have the experience that we have usually had on the line but every player we have except for harris has started games and knows our scheme.

We are going to ask a rookie to learn our ZBS in weeks time then learn how to hold up vs elite NFL DE's in the league? You have to be kidding
              Well if we do draft Chris Williams, he would already pretty much know the ZBS. He would have to learn some new kinks and parts of it, but overall he knows it better than Albert and Clady.

Harris is in the same boat as a new rookie OT. Sure he had a year here to practice, but "we're talking about practice."

I simply can't trust him.... right now.

And the fact that Eric Pears got man handled on the RT spot during some games, I would say our O-line is our first priority.

Comment

great thread. i couldn't agree with you more. this draft is deep, we can pick up a RB later on. we lost games last year because we couldn't stop the run, so let's do something to fix that in the first. dont be surprised if we trade up to get ellis.

i would be satisfied with an OL in the first too, cutler needs protection and we are definitely weak there.

but NO RUNNING BACK IN THE FIRST!

Comment

Originally posted by Monz View Post
                  great thread. i couldn't agree with you more. this draft is deep, we can pick up a RB later on. we lost games last year because we couldn't stop the run, so let's do something to fix that in the first. dont be surprised if we trade up to get ellis.

i would be satisfied with an OL in the first too, cutler needs protection and we are definitely weak there.

but NO RUNNING BACK IN THE FIRST!
                  Then again the trade for Dwayne Robertson might just quiet down the talk of all the "trade up for a DT" talks.

If anything, Denver will trade down if the tackles will be there, while drafting a RB in the first.\

But I really have no idea who we will draft. OT or RB is my guess... I just doubt that we wont' be seeing a DT early in the draft.

Comment

yeah, but robertson with his injuries is still a question mark. when we needed secondary what did shanny do? he drafted them in bulk. when we needed d-ends, what did shanny do? he drafted them in bulk. shanahan is most definitely targeting a DT somewhere in this draft. whether it is the first round or not (as in ellis), your guess is as good as mine. shanahan is a tricky tricky little leprechaun, im not saying we definitely will trade up for ellis, but dont be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
                      Aren't you tired of coaching em up type backs? I want to be feared again at the RB position. It makes the whole team better, because the defense has to try to stop the run first. Playaction gets better, pass rush gets slower.

I am not saying that we need to take a RB in the first, but I think that we need to consider it. Stewart makes an instant impact on this team, Clady doesn't play until next year.
                      I am tired of these coached up RB. Granted, we have a great RB's coach...but I am with you. Denver has always been known as a great running team, and RB's love to come here...but more and more it seems like we are getting the backs that really need a lot of help, and really benefit from our scheme, which I think is fine....but I think its slid us toward medicocrity, and I know Denver is better than that

I also think Shanny could very well go with the impact player this year. He almost needs to. There is no one else to scapegoat to...and Denver really needs to get back into the playoffs.
                      Shanny has made it known that our current backs are not starting material.
                      You get someone like Henry, who is really good when healthy, and pair him with Stewart...I think you have a tandem comparible to Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew.
                      Shanny brought in Henry to be our stud back. He has shown a tendency to get hurt. He took a pay-cut to be here, to prove himself, which is great.
                      But get someone he can mentor...and wont Henry be 30 this year?
                      RBBC these two guys, and we could have a great backfield for a looong time!
                      sigpic
                      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                      -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
                      X