Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Draft Grades for the Broncos-*updated*-Updated at 45th pick. Current Grade: D+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Draft Grades for the Broncos-*updated*-Updated at 45th pick. Current Grade: D+

I decided to grade Denver's draft live and update it as our picks are selected.

1(12): Ryan Clady/OT - Boise State Draft Grade: A- Notes: With Matt Lepsis retired and our O-Line depleted, Ryan Clady is a big OT that fits our zone-blocking scheme fairly well. We didn't have many options at 12 and OL was our biggest need coming into the draft. Good, safe pick. Who Denver should have picked: Ryan Clady

2(42) Eddie Royal/WR -Virginia Tech Draft Grade: D+ Notes: Really? Picking Eddie Royal was a mediocre pick at best. We decided to take this guy over Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed (and DeSean Jackson, but many think he isn't big enough anyways). If we weren't going to take DeSean Jackson because of his size, then why take another WR who is only 10 lbs heavier than Jackson? We needed a big WR to help stretch the field who could be a deep threat, which would be Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. I don't see the logic in Eddie Royal, if we wanted a WR, Sweed or Kelly hands down; if we wanted a KR/PR, then Jackson is the pick hands down.Who Denver should have picked: Limas Sweed/WR -Texas

4(108) Kory Lichtensteiger/OG-Bowling Green Draft Grade: B+ Notes: It's a nice pick. A good 4 year starter in college that is a pretty smart player. Having those 4 years of starting really helps us on Day-1 instead of having only 2 years or so of starting experience like some other O-Linemen have had in this draft this late in the rounds. I didn't predict Denver to get him, although who really does this late in the draft? Who Denver should have picked: Kory Lichtensteiger, it's a good pick for the o-line.

4(119) Jack Williams/CB-Kent State Draft Grade: B Notes: I'm not going to lie, I had never heard of this guy before today (well, I remember seeing him watching the NFL combine, but it's not like I've been his #1 fan or anything). He's an athletic Corner, which is good considering Champ Bailey and Dre Bly aren't exactly young-guns anymore. He gives nice depth at the CB position behind Foxworth.Who Denver should have picked: Jack Williams (we need depth at CB, so I won't argue against this pick)

5(139) Ryan Torain/RB- Arizona StateDraft Grade: B- Notes: He's a short yardage back; shows some similarities with ex-Bronco Mike Anderson. Can help us somewhat, although I thought we could have taken a DT here instead.Who Denver should have picked: Frank Okam/DT-Texas

5(148) Carlton Powell/DT-Virginia TechDraft Grade: B- Notes: He was a 3 year starter, which is somewhat rare coming late in the draft, so that helps him stand out over other possibile draftees. He's not exactly great physically, but can be productive.Who Denver should have picked: Frank Okam or Mike Hart/RB-Michigan

6(183) Spencer Larsen/LB-ArizonaDraft Grade: B+ Notes: It seemed kind of late in the draft to begin addressing the needs at LB, but still a decent pick considering we had already addressed the needs at OL, WR, DT, and CB. Larsen doesn't have the 40 time that is desired, but fills gaps nicely.Who Denver should have picked: Spencer Larsen was a good pick here.

7(227) Peyton Hillis/FB-ArkansasDraft Grade: A Notes: Behind Charger draftee Jacob Hester, a lot of people said Hillis was the next best FB in this year's draft. He can catch passes out of the backfield and has great speed for a FB, but lead blocking might be a concern. I like the pick.Who Denver should have picked: We're lucky that Hillis slipped this far, nice pick Denver.

*updated Eddie Royal's draft grade to D+, just so people aren't thinking that I think Eddie Royal sucks. He has okay talent, but the decision to take him was a F, but i'll change it to D+ so people don't get to thinking I think he will be absolutely nothing in the NFL.

Our draft compared to our rivals and other AFC teams:

1. Chargers: Grade: B-:They only had one pick on Day 1, but the addressed their need in the secondary with Antoine Cason.

2. Raiders: Grade: B: When you get Darren McFadden, it's hard to give the Raiders a bad grade, but the fact their next pick didn't come until the 4th round did not help them, but in the 4th they picked up a fast WR in Ahman Shields and a good CB in Tyvon Branch.

3. Chiefs: Grade: A+: Holy Tacos, Batman. Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, and Brandon Flowers? That is called the rebuilding process of a team right there. Grant it, they do have the most picks in the draft; either way they made excellent use with them. Picking up Jamaal Charles is good for them too.

4. Steelers: Grade: B+: Wow. Mendenhall fell all the way to the Steelers at #23? Not many people saw that one coming, they definitely capitalized on getting a power back that accompanies Willie Parker. And then, they pick up Limas Sweed (who we should have picked up) at #53. They got a back that fits their system, and a great #2 option at WR?

5. Patriots: Grade: B: They filled their need at LB with Jerod Mayo at #10 and with Shawn Crable in the 3rd round. Terrance Wheatley also helps their depleted secondary in the 2nd round.
    Last edited by Broncos_ATX; 04-27-2008, 03:16 PM.

Royal will be a better PR/KR! Kelly and Sweed will not be. While they are both great receivers, we need ST help bad. Go Broncos!

Comment

Mike Shannonahan's WR knowledge> your WR knowledge
      I am a Moss lover

Comment

Originally posted by moto4669 View Post
        Royal will be a better PR/KR! Kelly and Sweed will not be. While they are both great receivers, we need ST help bad. Go Broncos!
        Special teams in the 2nd?

I dont think Denver shoulda gone Clady, he is too soft IMO. I think Albert or Williams would have been better, but Clady wasnt a bad pick at all IMO. I'd give that pick a B and Royal is a flat out F-.
        Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_ATX View Post

1(12): Ryan Clady/OT - Boise State Draft Grade: A- Notes: With Matt Lepsis retired and our O-Line depleted, Ryan Clady is a big OT that fits our zone-blocking scheme fairly well. We didn't have many options at 12 and OL was our biggest need coming into the draft. Good, safe pick. Who Denver should have picked: Ryan Clady

2(42) Eddie Royal/WR -Virginia Tech Draft Grade: F Notes: Really? Picking Eddie Royal was a mediocre pick at best. We decided to take this guy over Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed (and DeSean Jackson, but many think he isn't big enough anyways). If we weren't going to take DeSean Jackson because of his size, then why take another WR who is only 10 lbs heavier than Jackson? We needed a big WR to help stretch the field who could be a deep threat, which would be Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. I don't see the logic in Eddie Royal, if we wanted a WR, Sweed or Kelly hands down; if we wanted a KR/PR, then Jackson is the pick hands down.Who Denver should have picked: Limas Sweed/WR -Texas

What We need to do as the Draft goes on:
          1.Try and trade back up into the 2nd round if a Trevor Laws or another good DT is avaliable.
          2. Consider a Jamaal Charles or Kevin Smith in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
          3. Consider Frank Okam in the 3rd round.

-*I will be updating this as the picks/trades begin to come in-*
          fyi, your not a professional football player evaluator, shanny obviously knows somethin we wont

Comment

I give the Eddie Royal pick a B, because of his ability to return kickoffs and punt returns. 24 bench press at WR at 5-9 3/4 184 and he runs a 4.39. We are not in need of a WR that start right now. Thats why we signed three of him to compete for that number 2 spot. But Royal gives us the return threat that we need bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
              Special teams in the 2nd?

I dont think Denver shoulda gone Clady, he is too soft IMO. I think Albert or Williams would have been better, but Clady wasnt a bad pick at all IMO. I'd give that pick a B and Royal is a flat out F-.
              Well are ST are that bad. We need a better returner. The guy is not a bad WR either.

Comment

Well are ST are that bad. We need a better returner. The guy is not a bad WR either.
                All Pros like Sweed and Kelly are available. Solid WRs in Doucet and Bennet are there. Jackson, who has more potentiol as both a returner and a WR was available.

I just dont see Royal over those guys, I guess Shanny sees something most of us dont.

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_ATX View Post

2(42) Eddie Royal/WR -Virginia Tech Draft Grade: F Notes: Really? Picking Eddie Royal was a mediocre pick at best. We decided to take this guy over Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed (and DeSean Jackson, but many think he isn't big enough anyways). If we weren't going to take DeSean Jackson because of his size, then why take another WR who is only 10 lbs heavier than Jackson? We needed a big WR to help stretch the field who could be a deep threat, which would be Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed. I don't see the logic in Eddie Royal, if we wanted a WR, Sweed or Kelly hands down; if we wanted a KR/PR, then Jackson is the pick hands down.Who Denver should have picked: Limas Sweed/WR -Texas

What We need to do as the Draft goes on:
                  1.Try and trade back up into the 2nd round if a Trevor Laws or another good DT is avaliable.
                  2. Consider a Jamaal Charles or Kevin Smith in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
                  3. Consider Frank Okam in the 3rd round.

-*I will be updating this as the picks/trades begin to come in-*

Before the draft, most of the guys in here said we need a WR who can
                  stretch the field and I think we got one in Royal. Drafting Sweed and Kelly is just like drafting another brandon marshall(In term of speed).

Comment

Darius Watts all over again?

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Come on a punt returner in the second round!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow
                      sigpic

Comment

DeSean Jackson is a better PR/KR than Royal...

Originally posted by 35istheFuture View Post
                        Originally posted by basbllplaya26 View Post
                        fyi, your not a professional football player evaluator, shanny obviously knows somethin we wont

Sorry, my bad for questioning the man who drafted Maurice Clarett...I hear he's doing well on the Ohio State Penitentiary Team

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
                          All Pros like Sweed and Kelly are available. Solid WRs in Doucet and Bennet are there. Jackson, who has more potentiol as both a returner and a WR was available.

I just dont see Royal over those guys, I guess Shanny sees something most of us dont.
                          Who knows?? I just hope B Marsh is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 35istheFuture View Post
                            Right...Shannahan has a GREAT history with the draft...oh wait...

Comment

[QUOTE=Broncos_ATX;2182330]DeSean Jackson is a better PR/KR than Royal...

I guess we will find out. I would of been amped about Desean also. Only time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X