Biggest needs for 09 draft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest needs for 09 draft.

While Im not really in the mood to do a mock draft I am in the mood to evaluate the team on the basis of our positions of needs.

Of course injuries and performance can change this by draft time but as of now here is how I see it.

1. Interior O line. Nalen, Weigmann, Hamilton are all fine players but are getting up there in age and havent bee very healthy the past year or so. Its time to look into bringing in more help to shore up the O line on the inside. Untill we know what we have with Kuper and Lich, this is a fairly big area of concern. I look for us to spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a guard or center in next years draft.

2. Linebacker. Yes we signed Bailey and have Nate and DJ starting but Boss is right around 30, Nate is even older and DJ is in the last year of his contract. If we resign DJ, it would still be of use to pick up another LB we can groom, If we dont sign DJ, LB becomes a major priority and look for us to use our 1st pick on a LB. If DJ is still around look for a LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

3. D Tackle. Yes back again with the inerior D line. Dewayne and Marcus should form a nice duo up front but remember Robertson's knees arent the best and it couldnt hurt to add another youngster back there in the rotation.

Well thats my top three needs as of right now,

What do you all think will be our most pressing needs in this years draft?
    A book I wrote

If we don't sign DJ, the front office needs their head examined.

We have some needs. DL, LB, S, OL. Possibly both S positions depending on how this year turns out.

Comment

Kuper was one of our best lineman last year and i think Lich will probley play centre due to his smarts and slighlty under sized so that leaves a guard i say we get the guard who blocked for Torain at Arizona in Paul Fanaika the guy is 6'6 337 and would slot in nicely at LG i know he is a little bigger then what we normally have on the line but as the D-lines get bigger and stronger we need bigger people to keep our QB and RB safe.

On the Defencive line i say we draft Vance Walker out of Georgia Tech he may at the moment not have the weight to play DT but he should bulk up by the time of 2009 training camp, but just look at his stats last year 8.5 sacks, 14 tackles for losses, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumbles recoverd in 13 games from a DT is some effort.

At Lineback i like Daniel Holtzclaw from East Michigan the kid is the next Brain Urlacher he is a leader, not flashy, he hits hard, he makes tackles and he makes plays.

Comment

As of right now, Denver's biggest needs are both Saftey postions, MLB, RB, DT, and DE. In that order.

Manuel and McCree are good for this year and maybe next year, but having young talent for the long run is great. We need a saftey who can ballhawk and make plays on bad reads from the QB. MLB will always be a need until Shannahan realizes that drafting early for that postion is always going to be better than signing scrubs. There's bound to be a a lot of great MLB talent in '09. RB, same as MLB just less talent in the '09 Draft. My personal Favorite for RB right now would have to be Davis from Clemenson and Arain Foster of Tennessee.

DT, we are quite set. But this is Denver's biggest weakness on Defense as is DE. DT looks to be good, but we have no idea on how well Powell will do. Thomas looks to be a beast and Robertson still looks great. But having another surefire DT wouldn't hurt. DE, looks good. But nothing proven besides Elvis Dumervile. So unless Crowder and/or Moss steps it up, we will be hurting still at this postion.
        Last edited by kratos_godofwar; 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

sorry to disagree here. but we need a lot IMHO. i think we are rebuilding. we really need a impact RB to help stabalize a running game. this 3 back thing just isnt working IMHO. we need a top back like we had in portis. it helps our offense move. we also need a pass rush as well.
          thank god its football season again

broncos and yankees--champions go together

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
            While Im not really in the mood to do a mock draft I am in the mood to evaluate the team on the basis of our positions of needs.

Of course injuries and performance can change this by draft time but as of now here is how I see it.

1. Interior O line. Nalen, Weigmann, Hamilton are all fine players but are getting up there in age and havent bee very healthy the past year or so. Its time to look into bringing in more help to shore up the O line on the inside. Untill we know what we have with Kuper and Lich, this is a fairly big area of concern. I look for us to spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a guard or center in next years draft.

2. Linebacker. Yes we signed Bailey and have Nate and DJ starting but Boss is right around 30, Nate is even older and DJ is in the last year of his contract. If we resign DJ, it would still be of use to pick up another LB we can groom, If we dont sign DJ, LB becomes a major priority and look for us to use our 1st pick on a LB. If DJ is still around look for a LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

3. D Tackle. Yes back again with the inerior D line. Dewayne and Marcus should form a nice duo up front but remember Robertson's knees arent the best and it couldnt hurt to add another youngster back there in the rotation.

Well thats my top three needs as of right now,

What do you all think will be our most pressing needs in this years draft?
            I think DE is more of a need than DT at this point, unless Moss or Crowder prove they can step up this year.

MLB will be a need, but OLB seems to be in good hands, especially with Woodyard in the wings.

I still wonder about RB, and I would love to see the Broncos put their passing game over the top with another big WR, like Ohio St.'s Robiske.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
              I think DE is more of a need than DT at this point, unless Moss or Crowder prove they can step up this year.

MLB will be a need, but OLB seems to be in good hands, especially with Woodyard in the wings.

I still wonder about RB, and I would love to see the Broncos put their passing game over the top with another big WR, like Ohio St.'s Robiske.
              I think Crowder and Moss will step up and DT isnt a major need, I just think some more youthful depth would be good.

True, OLB seems to be in good hands, I actually forgot about Woodyard, he will be a nice contributor. I really think an impact MLB would be a huge addition in the draft but we never know if that would be the correct choice.

On RB, I like what we have right now, when Torain and Aldridge get healthy we should have a very deep and productive backfield.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to go after another big receiver. While its true that Royal could play the #2 spot, I imagine when Stokley eventually leaves, Royal should be the slot receiver. He would be an absolute nightmare matchup in the slot, I picture him being something like Wes Welker. Stoke has been very solid but he doesnt have blazing speed. Could you imagine, Marshall #1, (My choice would be Heyward-Bay,)#2, and Royal in the slot. You simply cant match up against that.
              A book I wrote

Comment

Right now, I would rank our top 5 needs in this order:

1. MLB
                2. S
                3. DT
                4. RB
                5. DE

I really don't think interior O-line is a pressing need, Weigmann and Hamilton should be around for a few more years each, and Lichtensteiger was drafted fairly high for an interior lineman and has been impressive. He could be our future at center, after all he was a good one in college. I will puke if they pick Alex Mack in the 1st round next year. Even in the late 1st, there will be numerous better options. I don't buy that he is this super prospect either.

Comment

IMO Denver's 3 biggest needs as of right now are:

MLB - Nate Webster is barely a starter and Koutouvides got beat by him. Hopefully we can snag one of the big two(Maualuga or Laurinaitis). If not, maybe we snag someone to develope around round 3 or 4.

S - McCree is a fairly good starter, hopefully we can develope Barrett on the PS, but if he's not ready by next year I think we should try to snag a top tier safety, maybe even over a MLB. Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays, William Moore, and Kam Chancellor could all be 1st rounders if they come out. I think Denver could really use an athletic S to complement our shutdown CBs.

RB- I don't think either Selvin Young or Andre Hall is the answer to Denver's RB shortage, Sure one of them is going to squeak out a 1000 yard season, but IMO if Denver wants to get back to being a dominant force, we need a dominant RB. Chris Wells, Knowshon Moreno, and even LeSean McCoy would be great here in Denver. If we can't land on of those guys maybe even Mike Ford from South Florida. Who knows though? Maybe Torain will step up the second half of the season and provide the power we need. But as of right now if think it's a pretty big need.

Other Positions:
                  Interior OL - Maybe someone in the 2nd or 3rd round to play OG or C. Nalen, Wiegmann, and Hamilton may not be around too much longer, especially if they get injured again. Kuper is a solid starter at one of the Gaurds and Lichtensteiger might be good also, but we should still get one to be sure and if nothing else for good depth.

DT - I don't really think this is a big need. Robertson will be a lot better in the 4-3 system and if Marcus Thomas stays our of trouble he can develope into a really nice player. With Carlton Powell coming back later this season, probably, as the #3 guy, I think we'd be set. Another young one might be a valuable backup in the 5th round or so, but I don't think it needs to be higher than that.

DE- This all depends on how Jarvis Moss does this year. If he is able to prove himself as a legitimate pass rusher then I think we have a really good rotation. Crowder could be used as the short yardage DE with Moss getting most of the snaps. Of course with Dumervil on the other side. I'm really high on the upside of Moss and Crowder so I'm not worried about this position.

WR- Even if Royal pans out to be a solid complement to Marshall, we should still look for a playmaker in the slot IMO. Stokely won't be around forever and if we got a guy like Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin our offense would be scary. Or maybe Michael Crabtree or some other big WR to play alongside Marshall and shift Royal to the slot. Either way I think we'll probablt be looking for some depth in the next draft.

These are just my ideas. I have confidence in the young players and hopefully they won't let me down(especially Moss).
                  Last edited by berlownacyo7s; 09-05-2008, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X