Broncos must draft Knowshon Moreno!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos must draft Knowshon Moreno!

As we all know our running back core has plagued by injuries this year. Some of those injuries shouldn't come as much a suprise. Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, and a over 30 Michael Pittman are susceptible to injury thus should never be expected to carry the load at RB. I do see a future for Torain mostly because of his size and North-South running style. Selvin gets stuffed too much on 1st and 2nd down to be an effective runner, but I will admit he could be valuable as a 3rd down back. However, his position as a 3rd down RB would become a fairly moot point with the addition of Moreno. Pittman could be valuable more for his knowledge than his playing but at his age his abilities on the field are on a significant decline. Not to mention that his football experience is relatively insignificant considering we have Bobby Turner as the Broncos RB's coach.

That leaves Andre Hall, Anthony Alridge, PJ Pope, Cory Boyd and Peyton Hillis. Andre Hall is kind of a jack-of-all trades in that he is decent at several things but absolutely nothing stands out in his game. His speed and power are decent but nowhere near what the Broncos need in the backfield. Hall is not even effective in the return game or on third down because his vision is not all that great at finding the holes in the defense or anticipating where the blitz is coming from. Pope is almost a clone of Hall and both possess most of the same attributes.

On the other hand I do see some promise in the other 3: Alridge, Boyd and Hillis. My optimism for Boyd mostly revolves around what he did in college in the SEC and his skill set, so therefore I will hold off judgement until I can see how his skills translate to the NFL. Alridge showed me in preseason (despite the competition) that he his explosive. He could certainly be valuable in the return game, thus giving Eddie Royal a break from having to return kicks and punts so he can concentrate on being the #2 reciever. Alridge could also be effective as a poor man's Sproles where the Broncos could line him up in the backfield and then send him out wide on 3rd downs. So now we come to one of my favorite players on the team, Peyton Hillis. There is nothing about this guy that I don't like, his skill set is incredible and he can be used in a variety of ways to create mismatches. Perhaps the only thing I see Hillis needing to improve on is his run blocking, but that should improve with experience. However given his skill set, I still feel he would be most valuable to this offense as a FB not becuase he is a bad running back but rather if you add his skill set with another talented running back like Knowshon in the backfield you create all sorts of mismatches with the defense in both the passing and running game.

Now you are asking yourself, 'Why don't we go after a DT, FS, or MLB in the first round?' The main reason being that we should not have to wait around while a defensive lineman develops and the rest of the team ages or leaves. I will admit that a FS or MLB could come in and have an impact immediately, but the problem I see is there are no FS or MLB in the draft that will actually have the value in the 1st round. Personally I think we already have our MLB, Spencer Larsen but that he can't play there mostly due to the rediculous injuries that have piled up on the Broncos. Regarding FS, this draft class is more about depth than top end talent and I don't see either Moore or Mays as instinctual players capable of playing centerfield on the Broncos defense.

Now that brings us to the moral of the story, Knowshon Moreno. I will admit that I am a little biased because I go to Georgia, but don't let that make you think I can't appreciate a rare talent like Knowshon. I went to the UGA spring game in '07 and the one player (even before all the press and fanfare) that stood out in that game was Knowshon. Now to his attributes that would make him a dominate RB in Denver. Knowshon has incredible vision, he can see gaps in the defense better than anyone. This quality has been key to his success at Georgia because honestly he has not had the best o-line (3 freshman, 2 Sophmores) to run behind. Moreno does not have incredible speed but he has a great burst through the hole and even better lateral quickness which he uses to make people miss in the open field.

Some of Knowshon's underrated abilities are that he does not fumble the ball (2 lost fumble in about 500 touches). He has a wicked stiff arm and spin/juke move, and he is very good coming out of the backfield on 3rd down either a pass blocker or as a reciever. He is actually a pretty good PR man but I doubt any smart team would ever use him as such. The one thing above else that stands out when I watch him play is his determination. This determination makes him play like a much bigger back than he is as he will try to run through a defender if he can't get around them. Perhaps importantly it makes him a dangerous back in that he has a nose for the Endzone. All in all he is a gamechanger that I sincerely hope that the Broncos and others on this board will consider as our 1st round pick next year. :salute!:
    Last edited by 6cbryan; 12-09-2008, 09:00 AM.

Wall of Text hits you for 47652434532 pts

You are dead!

Good post, but I have to disagree with drafting Knowshon Moreno. Yes I agree he will be a special player, but Denvers highest priority is the defense right now. Plus I do not think he will be on the board when Denver drafts. Cincinatti, NYJ, and possibly San Diego will be in the market for stud RB.

Comment

While I won't argue about the need to fix our defense, I just think with 1 pick that we can have a very special offense with a consistent running game. As it stands now, I don't see any of our running backs having more than 100 carries this year. That makes the offense inconsistent giving the same results we had this year where when Cutler is having an off day the rest of the team collapses. Instead, I would rather have a very good running back that we could rely on if things weren't going well for Cutler on a particular day. However, I do see the need for us to move up a little bit in order to get Knowshon.

As for the Broncos Defense, I think we need to pony up (no pun intended) and pay someone like Haynesworth. Every defense needs playmakers on every level. Haynesworth could be that guy on the d-line, DJ at linebacker and Champ in the secondary. just a thought . . .
      Last edited by 6cbryan; 12-09-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

The thing that stands out to me about Moreno is he comes off the field so much, pretty much after every run.

As a RB, I would compare him to Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. Like Williams, he isn't big or fast, agility and vision are his main attributes. Moreno doesn't excite me like Stewart did in the last draft though. I have doubts about Moreno's ability to be an everydown back, considering how he subs in and out so often.
        Last edited by Max Power; 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
          Denver, Cincinatti, NYJ, and possibly San Diego will be in the market for stud RB.
          There I fixed it for you.

We will have the ability to trade up to get him, and if no one is stellar enough for the 1st round, I could easily see us trading out of the 1st round for an extra 2nd and 4th rounder.

There are alot of RB's that will be around...

James Davis, CJ Spiller, Shonn Green, Javon Ringer, etc etc etc.

My bet is Knowshon gets money from a really bad team.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Do we really want to spend a high draft pick on a player that we all know will end up on the IR? That is the type of luck we have with RBs, don't care if they have an injury history or not, they will after playing for us.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
            J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
            R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

I agree that Knowshon comes out more than other backs, but the Broncos don't have to have someone that carries the ball 300+ times in a season. Knowshon can very easily give a team around 250 carries and make the most of them without wearing down late in the season. Quite honestly I do think he is an "every down" back, he can get the tough yards on 1st or 3rd down. What people really want is an "every play" back who does not need substituting. In reality, all running backs need subs, its just a matter of how many times they get subbed for. If the Broncos were to draft Knowshon they have already have the RB's to act as his subs to provide another 100+ carries.

I also forgot to mention how limiting his carries allows Knowshon to be even more effective in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line.

Comment

I think we need to pick up a shifty speed guy in the 3rd or 4th round to compliment Hillis.

Imagine Peyton in the playoffs, in the 4th Quarter, with fresh legs
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

NObody knows......

I think that we may all be surprised with who is taken by the Broncos in the first round.

Shannahan's new philosphy, as he has stated, is to draft the best talent available. We were all shocked with the drafting of Eddie Royal. Two of the most valuable players on offense are rookies (Royal and Clady).

The fact is that we all keep forgetting that Shannahan is not going to bypass good talent in the draft to fill positional needs.

Personally, I would like to see Denver draft Moreno, but like someone else suggested, he might initially be a 3rd down back, not an everydown back.

Here's to another great draft like 08' in 09'!
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I disagree with the shifty compliment back to hillis. It seems Denver has gotten away from it because they are too fragile. Denver needs to Bruisers. Hillis is 1, draft James Davis for the other. 2 bruisers > fragile shifty compliment.

Comment

I disagree with the shifty compliment back to hillis. It seems Denver has gotten away from it because they are too fragile. Denver needs to Bruisers. Hillis is 1, draft James Davis for the other. 2 bruisers > fragile shifty compliment.
                      what makes them fragile . . . ALL of denvers back have been fragile in fact 3 of them are considered "bruiser backs"

hell look at Warrick Dunn a great RB and hes only 170 lbs . . . not saying i want to try it but being smaller has nothing to do with fragile

moreno is also about 205-210 thats decent size and i would love moreno in the first IF Lauranitis/Spikes/Moore/Mays/Jackson are not available when we pick and hes sitting there unlikely but i wouldnt complain

i would also LOVE Davis in the second if he runs a 4.45ish he has near PERFECT measurables for our running style and he has the stats to back it up i mean 5-11 215-220

he is just a RB plain and simple
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                        what makes them fragile . . . ALL of denvers back have been fragile in fact 3 of them are considered "bruiser backs"

hell look at Warrick Dunn a great RB and hes only 170 lbs . . . not saying i want to try it but being smaller has nothing to do with fragile

moreno is also about 205-210 thats decent size and i would love moreno in the first IF Lauranitis/Spikes/Moore/Mays/Jackson are not available when we pick and hes sitting there unlikely but i wouldnt complain

i would also LOVE Davis in the second if he runs a 4.45ish he has near PERFECT measurables for our running style and he has the stats to back it up i mean 5-11 215-220

he is just a RB plain and simple
                        I agree, Davis would fit well, and wouldnt be a reach in the second.

I like Davis. I don't like the hammer logic. Sometimes it takes finesse, you cant always just beat something until it goes your way. AND, don't make me name about 25 years worth of speedy backs who were very successful.

Ok, I'll name one.

Barry Sanders.

...too fragile....man thats rich.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Boyd fits that role to.

Comment

"If" we draft a back early. I hope we get Rashad Jennings. I would not mind going into next year with Hillis, Torain and Jennings. That would be sweet! I am sure we could add another back in there and go in with 4 on the active roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              "If" we draft a back early. I hope we get Rashad Jennings. I would not mind going into next year with Hillis, Torain and Jennings. That would be sweet! I am sure we could add another back in there and go in with 4 on the active roster.
                              i would be happy with him as well, him or davis keep torain to back them up move hillis to FB to get him on the field more often then split carries

and then i think we keep bell around depending on how he finishes the season for us to be our change of pace guy/ home run threat . . . a role he was very good in in 06
                              sigpic
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X