Taylor Mays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Mays

We need to draft this guy. He will make an imediate impact in our secondary that doesnt have much at the safety position
    sigpic

Josh Barrett and Taylor Mays. The most physically gifted safety tandem to ever grace the league.

Can't you just see it now...

sigpic

Comment

And better safety play would allow for more aggressive defensive playcalling because we won't have to worry about our safeties being beat in coverage or missing tackles like we had to this season, but probably not if Slowik is still in charge next season, which is why need a new DC along with more talent.

Mays is going to be a heckuva pro. I don't think he has even scratched the surface of what he's capable of. I think he has Sean Taylor type potential. Yes, Taylor made more plays in college, but USC's defense and the way Mays has been employed therein doesn't really allow him to make a lot of plays. More important than notching a bunch of tackles and INT's is preventing big plays, and Mays was a big part of why USC's defense allowed so few of them and was the best in the country. But I believe Mays can also excel in a playmaking role, and it is such versatility that makes me want him for Denver.

Comment

Taylor Mays would be an awesome addition for the Broncos, I'm just worried the Seahacks might choose to bring him home to Seattle. Especially since Jim Mora coached the secondary this past season and is all too familiar with their shortcomings.

If we can't get Mays I'd like to see Champ moved to free safety, sure as a corner he shuts down half the field but just imagine him playing center field reading the quarterback and making jumps on the ball everywhere. Plus as a bonus we could get exotic with our corner blitzes and coverage schemes after all how often do corners pass off coverage to the safeties and the team ends up with better coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackal View Post
          Josh Barrett and Taylor Mays. The most physically gifted safety tandem to ever grace the league.

Can't you just see it now...
          And two the least productive...

We've already seen that through both of their college careers.
          Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
            And two the least productive...

We've already seen that through both of their college careers.
            There simply aren't that many stats to go around on the current USC defense. Especially for a safety.

As for Barrett he's looked very promising since being activated. He's shown he can hit, cover elite TE's man to man, and tackle pretty well. With more coaching he could excel as a Strong Safety.

I don't care about stats as long as they do what they're supposed to and do it well.

sigpic

Comment

Taylor Mays = Same pathetic defense. Fat, steamy load of good Mays will do this team with the most pathetic front seven the league has to offer in front of him. I hope you guys don't actually think Slowik was the only problem.

I thought the idea was to get better but if all you care about is fulfilling some twisted fetish than you'll be one of the few that don't mind another record setting defense.

Btw, Barrett and Mays would also be the most inexperienced Safety tandem to grace the league.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                Taylor Mays = Same pathetic defense. Fat, steamy load of good Mays will do this team with the most pathetic front seven the league has to offer in front of him. I hope you guys don't actually think Slowik was the only problem.

I thought the idea was to get better but if all you care about is fulfilling some twisted fetish than you'll be one of the few that don't mind another record setting defense.

Btw, Barrett and Mays would also be the most inexperienced Safety tandem to grace the league.......
                Better safeties = better coverage = more coverage sacks

Better safeties = fewer missed tackles = fewer big plays

Better safeties = more aggressive playcalling because the DC will be more confident in the safeties preventing the blitz from being exploited for a big play (Note - this one may not apply if Bob SLOWik remains DC)

Taylor Mays = best safety in this draft

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                  Better safeties = better coverage = more coverage sacks

Better safeties = fewer missed tackles = fewer big plays

Better safeties = more aggressive playcalling because the DC will be more confident in the safeties preventing the blitz from being exploited for a big play (Note - this one may not apply if Bob SLOWik remains DC)

Taylor Mays = best safety in this draft
                  I don't disagree, but that's on normal teams, the Broncos are anything but normal, they have next to nothing on defense, Champ Bailey/DJ Williams and "a bunch of street free agents" as Schlereth put it.

Honestly, at this stage of the defenses development, the last thing they should be thinking is a safety, this defense needs too much of everything else. And with the 12th pick, a front seven player should be available.......

Comment

Well lets wait to see who comes in to be the head coach and the defensive coordinator before we act like everything will be the same. No Slowik wasn't the only problem on the defense we had a serious talent deficiency there, but the Broncos almost always lined up and just rushed 4 linemen straight ahead. Not only is that easy to gameplan for but it's also easy to adjust to:

Line coach: What's your guy doing?
                    Lineman: He rushes straight into me everytime coach.
                    Line coach: What else?
                    Lineman: That's it just straight at me coach
                    Line Coach: Okay we'll have a pocket to pass in, and we can run a double team at the POA and run right through that gap, oh and if we make it a counter run their linebackers will go all the way over to the far sideline.

Perhaps if we mixed in some twists and stunts and some moderate blitzing, along with getting more random with our coverage schemes we could have better results in the front 7.

Comment

Sorry Butler, but if God walked through that door to run the defense, he'd start by canning 75% of the defensive players.

I don't see how anybody could argue that this front seven doesn't need massive improvements and I really don't care, at the very least these "Draft a Safety or we fail" threads are amusing.

Ya'll keep starting these threads and I'll keep trying to shoot the idea down, cause unless significant improvements are made in free agency (and regardless of who is hired to run the defense), drafting a S is the wrong idea.......

Comment

Sorry Butler, but if God walked through that door to run the defense, he'd start by canning 75% of the defensive players.

I don't see how anybody could argue that this front seven doesn't need massive improvements and I really don't care, at the very least these "Draft a Safety or we fail" threads are amusing.

Ya'll keep starting these threads and I'll keep trying to shoot the idea down, cause unless significant improvements are made in free agency (and regardless of who is hired to run the defense), drafting a S is the wrong idea.......
                        FA notwithstanding, you don't think we can afford to draft Mays in round 1 and address the front seven with the majority of our other picks?
                        Last edited by Max Power; 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                          FA notwithstanding, you don't think we can afford to draft Mays in round 1 and address the front seven with the majority of our other picks?
                          Max, I think the front seven is so bad that the next four No1 picks should be devoted strictly to DL and LB, but that's just me. Looking at it as objectively as I can, I don't see how Denver passes a DL or a LB at this point unless Mays is hands down the best player at 12.

Granted, a lot can happen between now and then, FA could be a surprise or the best player at 12 could in fact be Mays. There is so much that we don't know yet, but front seven is such a disgrace, I might pass Mays even if they get Suggs, Haynesworth and Dansby.......

Comment

Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
                            We need to draft this guy. He will make an imediate impact in our secondary that doesnt have much at the safety position
                            Well, I guess we needed this posted for the 10,000th time....thanks

Comment

Right now imo Safety is our biggest need. I say we draft Mays and make a good FA signing at the other safety or just give Barrett a shot.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X