Who should we replace Bates with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should we replace Bates with?

Shanny is the only one to be given notice, but others are sure to follow. Some because they are crap- Slowik -and others to follow Shanny. I have been very unimpressed by Gates and hope he's done in Denver.

To replace him, I think we need a retired QB that will help Cutler develop. Any ideas?

Steve Beuerlein- CBS game analyst since 2004
    Ty Detmer
    Steve McNair
    Jake Plummer- He'd have to give up handball
    Vinny Testaverde

Originally posted by sage View Post
    Shanny is the only one to be given notice, but others are sure to follow. Some because they are crap- Slowik -and others to follow Shanny. I have been very unimpressed by Gates and hope he's done in Denver.

To replace him, I think we need a retired QB that will help Cutler develop. Any ideas?

Ty Detmer
    Steve McNair
    Vinny Testaverde

There is no way in hell that Jake will ever have anything to do with the Broncos ever again.

and why have you been unimpressed with someone who has helped us have something like the number 3 offense in the NFL?
    sigpic

Comment

Bates is actually staying..

Also, does Jake really hate Denver? Just because he got benched for Cutler? Or is there more too it?
      sigpic
      Props to Peerless^
      Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
      Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
      Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
      Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
        Bates is actually staying..

Also, does Jake really hate Denver? Just because he got benched for Cutler? Or is there more too it?
        There is the benching. And he wanted to go to Houston to be with Kubiak again, but the broncos dealt him to the Bucs. The day he was traded was the day he retired if I remember correctly.
        sigpic

Comment

Ty Detmer
          Steve McNair
          Vinny Testaverde

Why is everyone coming out and complaining about Bates? Sure the endless bubble screen calls got old but our offense actually looked really good this year. It was more innovative and productive than it's been in years, and that includes Kubiak's last year or two.

As far as your replacements go I'm not sure if any of them would make great coaches, so I'll name a few others: Danny Barrett-off. co. U of Buffalo, long time CFL player, and former head coach
          Norm Chow-UCLA, he got a bad rap with a bad QB in Tennessee, he runs a similar offense and is renound for his development of QB's
          Kent Austin Ole Miss- Another former CFL QB and head coach, left last year after winning the Grey Cup to go back to his Alma Matter
          Bobby Turner Broncos RB coach- if you're talking about bring in an Off. Co, why not just promote the man who been here for 14 years, knows the running system inside out and makes even the most pedestrian running backs succeed in our system.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hamburgler View Post
            There is no way in hell that Jake will ever have anything to do with the Broncos ever again.

and why have you been unimpressed with someone who has helped us have something like the number 3 offense in the NFL?
            Number 2 offense.

And I have no idea why Bates would get fired.
            sigpic

Comment

David Cutcliffe.......

Comment

stnzed- David Cutcliffe
                Butler-
                Danny Barrett
                Norm Chow
                Kent Austin

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll research them.:salute!:

To some of the other posters;
                Dennison is our OC and I see no reason to change that, but we do need a new QB coach and a play-caller. There are a number of reasons why Bates needs to be replaced.

Failings as a QB Coach
                -Cutler's play has not improved. He has always had the arm but doesn't go through his reads and still throws into coverage instead of to open receivers
                -Cutler has yet to become a team leader. He does talk with his teammates but doesn't lead them like a field general should.
                -Bates and Cutler do seem to get along but the number of times I've seen Cutler waive off the sideline tells me he isn't listening to Bates and can't be taught by him
                -Ramsey was brought in to aid Cutlers development because Bates was incapable of doing so. With Bates and Ramsey leading Cutler- it's the blind and the blind leading the blind.

Failings as a play-caller
                -The Broncos OL produced about 5yrds per rush regardless of who was at RB. This is good enough to lead an offense and definitely good enough to have a balanced offense, yet Bates called 40-50 passes a game. There are many disadvantages to having a pass-only offense including
                Giving the opposing offense plenty of time to run all over our defense instead of forcing them to pass.
                Wearing out our WRs, the QB's arm and our playbook
                -Little creativity and great predictability in the play-calling. As mentioned by others, I hope I never see another bubble screen again. Was there a trick play ran at all this season?
                -No adaptability when Marshall and Royal were covered. Instead of opening up the middle of the field with Stokley, our RBs or TEs, we remained a two receiver team.
                -We racked up more yards then all but NO, but were 16th in scoring and our red-zone TD% was unacceptable. When it really matters, Bates came up short all year.
                Last edited by sage; 01-02-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

stnzed- David Cutcliffe
                  Butler-
                  Danny Barrett
                  Norm Chow
                  Kent Austin

Dennison is our OC and I see no reason to change that, but we do need a new QB coach and a play-caller. There are a number of reasons why Bates needs to be replaced.

Failings as a QB Coach
                  -Cutler's play has not improved. He has always had the arm but doesn't go through his reads and still throws into coverage instead of to open receivers
                  -Cutler has yet to become a team leader. He does talk with his teammates but doesn't lead them like a field general should.
                  -Bates and Cutler do seem to get along but the number of times I've seen Cutler waive off the sideline tells me he isn't listening to Bates and can't be taught by him
                  -Ramsey was brought in to aid Cutlers development because Bates was incapable of doing so. With Bates and Ramsey leading Cutler- it's the blind and the blind leading the blind.

-The Broncos OL produced about 5yrds per rush regardless of who was at RB. This is good enough to lead an offense and definitely good enough to have a balanced offense, yet Bates called 40-50 passes a game. There are many disadvantages to having a pass-only offense including
                  Giving the opposing offense plenty of time to run all over our defense instead of forcing them to pass.
                  -Little creativity and great predictability in the play-calling. As mentioned by others, I hope I never see another bubble screen again. Was there a trick play ran at all this season?
                  -No adaptability when Marshall and Royal were covered. Instead of opening up the middle of the field with Stokley, our RBs or TEs, we remained a two receiver team.
                  -We racked up more yards then all but NO, but were 16th in scoring and our red-zone TD% was unacceptable. When it really matters, Bates came up short all year.
                  I think you are putting a little too much responsibility on the shoulders of a first year QB coach.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but remember that the game plan in a large part still came from Shanny. Yes he called the plays, but they were the plays that the team had installed and practiced all week. As far as scoring, I can contribute a large part of that to lack of a consistent running game as well as faltering STs (Prater) towards the end of the year. A FG more per game and we are top 5 scoring (how many FGs were missed?) The only time our running game was respected by opposing defenses was when Hillis was running the ball. Outside of that, Cutler was forced to face a 7 man zone for the most part. Running 4 receivers against 7 is a recipe for failure.

I still advocate Josh McDaniels as the logical choice for HC. He has had tremendous success keeping an offense innovative and has well documented success on taking Brady from good to great. With him as HC, I think he could help Bates take his coaching game and playcalling to another level. Bates will be a good one, and did a fine job in his first year. He will get better with the right HC and I think Cutler needs stability above all else.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

We need Bates, and he Bowlen said hes keeping him
                    I am a Moss lover

Comment

Kyle Shanahan

Comment

Mike Martz?

Comment

stnzed- David Cutcliffe
                          Butler-
                          Danny Barrett
                          Norm Chow
                          Kent Austin

Failings as a QB Coach

i think cutler is more to blame then bates is....plus its not like cutler sucked. he did make the pro bowl. becoming a team leader is something that is kinda hard to teach and i don't know what the deal is with waiving him off.

didn't helptat we were behind most of the time. we did pass alot in normal situations, but not as much as the numbers would indicate. i do agree about the bubble screens though, they suck.
                          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Ty Detmer
                            Steve McNair
                            Vinny Testaverde
                            You should hold on to Bates.

Probowl Bound!

Comment

stnzed- David Cutcliffe

-The Broncos OL produced about 5yrds per rush regardless of who was at RB. This is good enough to lead an offense and definitely good enough to have a balanced offense, yet Bates called 40-50 passes a game. There are many disadvantages to having a pass-only offense including[INDENT]Giving the opposing offense plenty of time to run all over our defense instead of forcing them to pass.
                              the ypc is a very misleading stat....teams new we had to throw the ball because the majority of our running backs needed a rascal scooter to get on the field... therefor the opposing teams defense played the pass...so that 5 yards per rush usually came on draw plays when teams thought we were passing...not to mention we were playing from behind the majority of the time

anyone who watched our games this year knows we were not a threat on the ground

Comment

Working...
                              X