Our Most Pressing Need: a 320+ lb Defensive Tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Most Pressing Need: a 320+ lb Defensive Tackle

If we indeed switch to a 3-4, I think it's obvious to all of us that we need a big man at NT as the base of the defense.

Since Terrance Cody isn't declaring and Albert Haynesworth would cost a fortune (and has no experience as a NT), who do you want?

I like Terrance Taylor from Michigan. He is 6'0 and 319 lbs. Taylor is incredibly strong and runs a 4.8 unofficial time in the 40.

He is projected to go in the 2-3 rounds.

He looks good. I like 6´, means a low center of gravity, he can get under those offensive linemens´shoulder-pads and domineer them.
    mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

I want a monster like John Henderson in the middle.....

6'7......330+ pounds.........he'd kill offensive lineman

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Terrance Taylor and Ron Brace would make very good mid-round options. BJ Raji with our first-rounder might also be in play, since the NT is arguably the most important position in the 3-4 and we don't have anything remotely resembling a NT on the roster currently.
        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
          Terrance Taylor and Ron Brace would make very good mid-round options. BJ Raji with our first-rounder might also be in play, since the NT is arguably the most important position in the 3-4 and we don't have anything remotely resembling a NT on the roster currently.
          Two Things with BJ Raji...

1) He is right up there with the biggest idiots in college football history. Sorry don't take me seriously with this one. I just don't like football players who lack a brain.

2) IMO there is better talent in other positions. Raji is pretty damn good but the reason why he is a 1st rounder is because there are no DOMINATING BEAST defensive tackles in this draft. There is more value in other defensive positions like LB and safety.

Comment

Raji in 1st or Brace in the second.

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
              I think Rey Maualuga at #1

Then depending on whether J-Mac wants a RB or not Shonn Greene or LeSean McCoy or Defensive Player OLB Clint Sintim or Larry English or DT Fili Moala or a SS like Chung or Hamlin at #2

#3 NT Ron Brace or Terrance Taylor

Thats what i'd like to see.

Comment

Here's a list

Free agents

DT’s
                Albert Haynesworth (Tennessee)
                Tank Johnson (Dallas)
                Grady Jackson (Atlanta)
                Colin Cole (Green Bay)
                Rocky Bernard (Seattle)
                Gabe Watson (Arizona)
                Ryan Sims (Tampa Bay)
                Mike Wright (New England)
                Shaun Cody (Detroit)

NT's available in the draft

DT
                BJ Raji
                Ron Brace
                Dorell Scott
                Terence Taylor

Comment

Gabe Watson from the Cardinals, RFA so It'll cost us probably a 4th. He's experienced and wouldn't take much grooming. I like Raji alot, but I want some experience @ NT.

Gabe Watson RFA
                  Ron Brace 2nd
                  Sammie Lee Hill 6th

I'd be happy with that
                  Last edited by SDSU#1; 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldnmonkey View Post

Then depending on whether J-Mac wants a RB or not Shonn Greene or LeSean McCoy or Defensive Player OLB Clint Sintim or Larry English or DT Fili Moala or a SS like Chung or Hamlin at #2

With the lack of NT's in this draft I do not see Brace available in the 3rd. I do not see him getting past Miami in the 2nd.

Comment

Funny, I thought our most pressing needs were getting Jay Cutler to pull his helmet up, and getting Jay Cutler to visit a voice coach.

Hmmm... guess we should re-evaluate our offseason plans...
                      In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                        Two Things with BJ Raji...

1) He is right up there with the biggest idiots in college football history. Sorry don't take me seriously with this one. I just don't like football players who lack a brain.

2) IMO there is better talent in other positions. Raji is pretty damn good but the reason why he is a 1st rounder is because there are no DOMINATING BEAST defensive tackles in this draft. There is more value in other defensive positions like LB and safety.
                        Running a 3-4 without a true nose tackle is sure to have opposing RBs salivating. and is just asking for trouble. We don't have a nose tackle on the roster. Getting one in FA is extremely hard and usually very expensive.

Raji is the prototypical nose tackle. Taylor and Brace are solid prospects too. If we don't get Raji with the first, we had better make sure we get one of the other two with our second-rounder. Our need for a NT means we will be drafting him higher than most teams have him.

I agree that there is some elite defensive talent at other positions in the first round of this draft. However, we can find serviceable linebackers and safeties in the lower rounds and in FA, unlike NTs.
                        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by goldnmonkey View Post

I hope we are not thinking RB in the first three rounds of the draft. There's no denying a true every-down back will really help this offense, but the needs on defense are just too pressing. If we were to spend a pick in the first three rounds on offense, I'd rather it be on center, since this year's class is very strong at the position.

Comment

You need a few things to run a successful 3-4, and certsainly a true NT is one of them, but you also need bookend pass rushers, so we need at least a NT, a true LDE, a LOLB, and of course, we still need a pair of new starting safeties.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                              You need a few things to run a successful 3-4, and certsainly a true NT is one of them, but you also need bookend pass rushers, so we need at least a NT, a true LDE, a LOLB, and of course, we still need a pair of new starting safeties.
                              That is certainly true. I guess on a relative scale, the NT is both a position of prime importance and an area we have zero candidates for, making it relatively the most pressing need (though by no means our only need)

If I had to rank the importance of the positions on a 3-4, it'd be as follows

1. NT
                              2. OLB
                              3. Safeties
                              4. DE
                              5. CB
                              6. ILB

Comment

Working...
                              X