Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Read @ MHR (about the future of our D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Read @ MHR (about the future of our D)

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1...ghts-nearsight

some very interesting/educated thoughts and is worth the read!:salute!:

some key points for those who are too lazy to click the link

"
    -I expect Dre Bly to be released because of his price tag.

-DJ is a 4-3 OLB, through and through. He's a lateral pursuit, run-and-hit guy. If I could get a LB needy 4-3 team like the Saints to part with a second round pick for him, I think I'd do it. As much as DJ has been a nice player, his next game-changing play will be his first, and I just don't see him as a fit in a 30 front.

-Wesley Woodyard is a fit as a nickel LB, but not in a base 3-4. He's a minimum-wage guy, so it is a totally different situation than DJ.

-I think we currently have 4 legitimate starting players, (assuming I am right about DJ Williams being moved, and Dre Bly being cut.) That is Marcus Thomas at RDE, Elvis Dumervil at LOLB, Spencer Larsen at ILB, and Champ Bailey at CB. You have Moss, Crowder, Woodyard, and Barrett who are maybe guys, but probably all 4 are situational players.

-So, if I am the guy who is shopping, I would sign Chris Canty, Channing Crowder, Oshiomogho Atogwe, and Yeremiah Bell, and I additionally think about Andra Davis and Justin Miller if I can get them at reasonable prices. Those are all reasonably priced players. Then I draft BJ Raji in the first round (ESPN ranks him 14th overall,) Sean Smith in the second round (ESPN rank = 58th,) and Clay Matthews, Jr. in the third round (ESPN rank = 75th.)"

Very interesting read, and i agree with most of it (although i'd be very dissapointed to see DJ traded)

also the speculation that richard seymore could be a cap casualty is very intriguing.

and with that 2nd rounder he got for DJ he would select shonn greene rb iowa

Hmmm. DJ for a second rounder...

As much I like DJ, I hate our defense and wouldn't be THAT upset if the coaches blew "it" apart. Another second round pick could be very useful.

Mostly im just in favor in UPSIZEING our defense.
    sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
      Hmmm. DJ for a second rounder...

As much I like DJ, I hate our defense and wouldn't be THAT upset if the coaches blew "it" apart. Another second round pick could be very useful.

Mostly im just in favor in UPSIZEING our defense.
      yeah i love DJ, and would be sad to see him go, but if this did happen i could certainly understand the reasoning behind it

Comment

I would do backflips if we were to get a 2nd rounder for DJ. Not gonna happen. At best we would be offeres a 3rd. DJ is a solid player, so I am ok if he stays, but the article says something I ave said for years now with him: his next game changing play will be his first.

We were this bad with him, we can be that bad without him. Reminds of Camby with the Nugs. Camby got a ton of blocks b/c the rest of the D was god-awful. Much in the way DJ gets alot of tackles.

Personally, I dont think anyone on the D should be untouchable.

Comment

Originally posted by pitnlala View Post
          I would do backflips if we were to get a 2nd rounder for DJ. Not gonna happen. At best we would be offeres a 3rd. DJ is a solid player, so I am ok if he stays, but the article says something I ave said for years now with him: his next game changing play will be his first.

We were this bad with him, we can be that bad without him. Reminds of Camby with the Nugs. Camby got a ton of blocks b/c the rest of the D was god-awful. Much in the way DJ gets alot of tackles.

Personally, I dont think anyone on the D should be untouchable.
          I agree, if we could get a 2nd for DJ then that would be highway robbery. Much more likely to get a 3rd or a 4th. I have never thought of him as elite, but he is solid and above average. At this point I think it'd be best to get what we can for him.
          sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

I think Dre Bly might be worth a later round draft pick,instead of just an open release. We are not the only team with anew coaching staff, saddled with rebuilding. i would we would explore trading some of our veteran cast offs to gain a few second day picks. If not in this years draft maybe in 2010.

Comment

i like every thing he says. question though

does domerville have any experiance at outside line backer
              Proud Sigma Chi at UT Chattanooga

Comment

elvis dumervil will not be a good 3-4 OLB....

Comment

I like most of this. However, I don't believe the OLB position would be properly addressed. In fact I don't think we would have any OLB's. I believe Matthews is an ILB in the 3-4, and Dumerville and Moss are projects at best.

Comment

Originally posted by ballen View Post
                    I like most of this. However, I don't believe the OLB position would be properly addressed. In fact I don't think we would have any OLB's. I believe Matthews is an ILB in the 3-4, and Dumerville and Moss are projects at best.
                    Enter Terrell Suggs...
                    Thank You theMileHighGuy!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

He had some interesting comments and it's a worthy read.

Not sure trading DJ is the answer for '09. If we could get a 2nd round pick and there was a 3-4 LB that we really liked, perhaps. Otherwise, pass.

Releasing Bly seems more like it.

I question the comments alluding the Daniel Graham as a 'cheap' FA pickup. He was given pretty good money.

I like the Channing Crowder suggestion over a Scott / Suggs pursuit for value if nothing else.

Good comments as well regarding Canty and A Davis and some of the other suggestions.

I just question if we're really going to be able to backflip into a 3-4 fully in '09 - we just seem to have too many D players who fit into another mold.

Hybird anyone? how about a 3.5 - 4.5
                      Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

I agree that if we could get a 2nd rounder for DJ we should consider it, but can somebody tell me why he wouldn't be a good ILB in a 3-4? I think he could make the switch, and I'm guessing he will start the season as one of the starting ILB's for us.

Comment

Working...
                        X