My First Mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Mock

Now that we have all of our coaches set in place, and a good idea about what defense we will be running, i figured it was finally time to make my first mock....flame away:salute!:

Free Agency
    Sean Jones SS: Cleveland-very talented and athletic. would be an immediate upgrade and would start from day 1.

Leonard Pope TE: Arizona- Nate jackson just cant stay healthy and mustard is nothing special. Pope is big (6-8, 260lbs) and young (25). would be a great redzone target and we would have one of the most dominant 3 TE sets in the league

Mike Wright DE/T: New England- a versatile player that can play any position on the line. qualtity depth that can fill in incase of injury

Gabe Watson NT: Arizona- a proven player who is young. he's a RFA so we'd likely give up a 4th rounder for him(its worth it). i do not trust the NT's in this draft and we'd know what we are getting with watson.

2009 NFL Mock Draft
    1. Rey Maualuga ILB: USC- a perfect fit for a 3-4, he and DJ in the middle could be a VERY good combination

2. Tyson Jackson DE: LSU- another 3-4 prospect. is great against the run and has potential to be a good pass rusher.

3. James Davis RB: Clemson- a proven runner with good size/strength. a 4 year starter without alot of miles. he and hillis would be a very dangerous combination

4. Traded to Arizona for Gabe Watson

5. Kevin Ellison S: USC- not the most gifted athletically, however he is very smart and always is in position to make a play

5. Phillip Hunt OLB: Houston- a good fit at 3-4 OLB, dominated against what some call week competion. thats why he lasts this far, but could be a very good rush backer in the mold of shawn merrimem.

6. Sherrod Martin CB: Troy- an extremely gifted athlete, but level of competion and injury history could cause him to fall this far. played S in college, but will be asked to move in the pro's

6/7. Pat White WR: West Virginia- QB in college but will have to move in the pro's. would be a great guy to learn under stockley and eventually replace him.

7. Antonio Dixon NT: Miami- very raw, but has the size(6-3, 328) and athleticism to be a very effective tackle

Depth Chart
    QB
    Jay Cutler
    Darrell Hackney
    Pat White (emergency QB)

RB
    James Davis
    Tatum Bell
    Ryan Torain
    Anthony Alridge

FB
    Peyton Hillis

WR 1
    Brandon Marshall
    Brandon Stockley
    Pat White

WR 2
    Eddie Royal
    Chad Jackson

TE
    Daniel Graham
    Tony Scheffler
    Leonard Pope

LT
    Ryan Clady
    Tyler Polumbus

LG
    Ben Hamilton
    Kory Lichtensteiger

C
    Casey Wiegman
    Kory Lichtensteiger/ Greg Eslinger

RG
    Chris Kuper
    Kory Lichtensteiger

RT
    Ryan Harris
    Erik Pears

LDE
    Tyson Jackson
    Tim Crowder
    Ebenezer Ekuban

NT
    Gabe Watson
    Antonio Dixon
    Carlton Powell

RDE
    Marcus Thomas
    Mike Wright
    Kenny Peterson

LOLB
    Phillip Hunt
    Jarvis Moss

LILB
    Rey Maualuga
    Spencer Larson

RILB
    DJ Williams
    Wesley Woodyard

ROLB
    Elvis Dumervil
    Mario Haggan

CB 1
    Champ Bailey
    Josh Bell
    Jack Williams

CB 2
    Dre' Bly
    Sherrod Martin

SS
    Sean Jones
    Marlon McCree
    Kevin Ellison

FS
    Josh Barrett
    Marquand Manual

K
    Matt Prater

P
    Brett Kern

LS
    Mike Leach

KR
    Eddie Royal
    Anthony Alridge
    Sherrod Martin

PR
    Eddie Royal
    Anthony Alridge
    Sherrod Martin

any thoughts/criticism/suggestions?
    :salute!:

I would like to see a Safety earlier than the 5th even if we do sign Jones.

Like the RM, Philip Hunt, and Dixon picks alot, the rest are very solid.

Like the addition of Wright and Watson,

but I doubt Pope will be allowed to walk from Arizona.

Overall very good, I like the emphasis on the front 7, hopefully that will translate to better secondary play.

But still, I think we really need a pure cover safety out of this draft, right now we really dont have a quality FS, Jones is a SS as is Barrett, and they dont have the range to cover the deep middle.
    A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
      I would like to see a Safety earlier than the 5th even if we do sign Jones.

Like the RM, Philip Hunt, and Dixon picks alot, the rest are very solid.

Like the addition of Wright and Watson,

but I doubt Pope will be allowed to walk from Arizona.

Overall very good, I like the emphasis on the front 7, hopefully that will translate to better secondary play.

But still, I think we really need a pure cover safety out of this draft, right now we really dont have a quality FS, Jones is a SS as is Barrett, and they dont have the range to cover the deep middle.

barrett has the speed, but instincts are a different issue...maybe we can get by a year with an improved front seven. next years draft is loaded with elite FS's

i love rashad johnson from alabama. but it would be hard to get him and tyson jackson.

maybe sign chris canty in FA, then use a second on johnson instead of jackson

Comment

I like it, I think you addressed the major needs for the team.

But, Gabe Watson might not be that cheap. From what I read on the Cards message boards is that he might be a higher tendered RFA. That worries me but I would love the big man.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU#1 View Post
          I like it, I think you addressed the major needs for the team.

But, Gabe Watson might not be that cheap. From what I read on the Cards message boards is that he might be a higher tendered RFA. That worries me but I would love the big man.
          yeah im worried about that too...i'd go as high as a 3rd, and hope james davis slips to the 4th...but if they ask for more than a 3rd it might be too much

Comment

Why no love for this guy?

I'm kinda surprised no one is talking about the safety from Baltimore not named Ed Reed that will be available this off-season. Of course I'm talking about Jim Leonhard. Although undersized at 5'8, Leonhard has shown during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs that he has a nose for the ball and has made game-changing plays on defense as well as the return game. At 26 he is still young, and I believe we could get him for relatively cheap, and would be one less position we would need to address earlier in the draft.
            Arizona Cardinals GM.

Comment

Originally posted by amac1984 View Post
              I'm kinda surprised no one is talking about the safety from Baltimore not named Ed Reed that will be available this off-season. Of course I'm talking about Jim Leonhard. Although undersized at 5'8, Leonhard has shown during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs that he has a nose for the ball and has made game-changing plays on defense as well as the return game. At 26 he is still young, and I believe we could get him for relatively cheap, and would be one less position we would need to address earlier in the draft.
              Is he a FA? I thought BMore had signed him for a few years, I may be wrong...

If he is I would love to pick up a guy like him, he's got good speed and a nose for the ball, although due to his lack of size he can get run over. I'm from Maryland and I watch the Ravens all the time, he's a jack of all trades, a real special teams ace.
              A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
                Is he a FA? I thought BMore had signed him for a few years, I may be wrong...

If he is I would love to pick up a guy like him, he's got good speed and a nose for the ball, although due to his lack of size he can get run over. I'm from Maryland and I watch the Ravens all the time, he's a jack of all trades, a real special teams ace.
                From everything I've read tonight he seems to be unrestricted. Even if i'm wrong, which i hope i'm not, Dawan Landry is restricted, so depending on the compensation the Ravens would require that could be another option as well. But i really do like Leonhard, he always seems to be around the ball, and can put a nice whack on people despite his size.
                Arizona Cardinals GM.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                  Now that we have all of our coaches set in place, and a good idea about what defense we will be running, i figured it was finally time to make my first mock....flame away:salute!:

Free Agency
                  Sean Jones SS: Cleveland-very talented and athletic. would be an immediate upgrade and would start from day 1.

Leonard Pope TE: Arizona- Nate jackson just cant stay healthy and mustard is nothing special. Pope is big (6-8, 260lbs) and young (25). would be a great redzone target and we would have one of the most dominant 3 TE sets in the league

Mike Wright DE/T: New England- a versatile player that can play any position on the line. qualtity depth that can fill in incase of injury

Gabe Watson NT: Arizona- a proven player who is young. he's a RFA so we'd likely give up a 4th rounder for him(its worth it). i do not trust the NT's in this draft and we'd know what we are getting with watson.

2009 NFL Mock Draft
                  1. Rey Maualuga ILB: USC- a perfect fit for a 3-4, he and DJ in the middle could be a VERY good combination

2. Tyson Jackson DE: LSU- another 3-4 prospect. is great against the run and has potential to be a good pass rusher.

3. James Davis RB: Clemson- a proven runner with good size/strength. a 4 year starter without alot of miles. he and hillis would be a very dangerous combination

4. Traded to Arizona for Gabe Watson

5. Kevin Ellison S: USC- not the most gifted athletically, however he is very smart and always is in position to make a play

5. Phillip Hunt OLB: Houston- a good fit at 3-4 OLB, dominated against what some call week competion. thats why he lasts this far, but could be a very good rush backer in the mold of shawn merrimem.

6. Sherrod Martin CB: Troy- an extremely gifted athlete, but level of competion and injury history could cause him to fall this far. played S in college, but will be asked to move in the pro's

6/7. Pat White WR: West Virginia- QB in college but will have to move in the pro's. would be a great guy to learn under stockley and eventually replace him.

7. Antonio Dixon NT: Miami- very raw, but has the size(6-3, 328) and athleticism to be a very effective tackle

Depth Chart
                  QB
                  Jay Cutler
                  Darrell Hackney
                  Pat White (emergency QB)

RB
                  James Davis
                  Tatum Bell
                  Ryan Torain
                  Anthony Alridge

FB
                  Peyton Hillis

WR 1
                  Brandon Marshall
                  Brandon Stockley
                  Pat White

WR 2
                  Eddie Royal
                  Chad Jackson

TE
                  Daniel Graham
                  Tony Scheffler
                  Leonard Pope

LT
                  Ryan Clady
                  Tyler Polumbus

LG
                  Ben Hamilton
                  Kory Lichtensteiger

C
                  Casey Wiegman
                  Kory Lichtensteiger/ Greg Eslinger

RG
                  Chris Kuper
                  Kory Lichtensteiger

RT
                  Ryan Harris
                  Erik Pears

LDE
                  Tyson Jackson
                  Tim Crowder
                  Ebenezer Ekuban

NT
                  Gabe Watson
                  Antonio Dixon
                  Carlton Powell

RDE
                  Marcus Thomas
                  Mike Wright
                  Kenny Peterson

LOLB
                  Phillip Hunt
                  Jarvis Moss

LILB
                  Rey Maualuga
                  Spencer Larson

RILB
                  DJ Williams
                  Wesley Woodyard

ROLB
                  Elvis Dumervil
                  Mario Haggan

CB 1
                  Champ Bailey
                  Josh Bell
                  Jack Williams

CB 2
                  Dre' Bly
                  Sherrod Martin

SS
                  Sean Jones
                  Marlon McCree
                  Kevin Ellison

FS
                  Josh Barrett
                  Marquand Manual

K
                  Matt Prater

P
                  Brett Kern

LS
                  Mike Leach

KR
                  Eddie Royal
                  Anthony Alridge
                  Sherrod Martin

PR
                  Eddie Royal
                  Anthony Alridge
                  Sherrod Martin

any thoughts/criticism/suggestions?:salute!:
                  yeah phillup hunt is a 4-3 RDE. he doesnt fit well as a 3-4 rush backer, he doenst have fluid hips or decnet coverage ability. He also is getting Day 1 stock approval so rd 5 is unlikely.....

Sherod Martin is a beast of a safety who is now getting serious day 1 hype as well as some second rd hype. he is doing quite well at senior bowl.....

also i dont like the pat white pick.....he doesnt project as a good Slot Wr right off the bat he is a project for WR. what we need is a slot WR to groom as stokleys replacemnt. we have a number 1 and 2 as well as as a back-up in chad jackson for them. what we dont have is a stokley back-up....Jacoby ford and mike thomas are some examples of good slot type recivers. Thomas fits better than ford but both would be great to our WR core.

Keep in mind Inetrior O-line is a need as it is and might become even a bigger need if weigman retires

i like the dixon pick and the seventh rd is solid value, but he could go undrafted....He could develop in to a very good Nt at the next level if he can get past his lack of focus and injury history

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                    barrett has the speed, but instincts are a different issue...maybe we can get by a year with an improved front seven. next years draft is loaded with elite FS's

i love rashad johnson from alabama. but it would be hard to get him and tyson jackson.

maybe sign chris canty in FA, then use a second on johnson instead of jackson
                    Your last statement is solid. Canty would be a solid addition and could instantly impact this team. Canty would take priority over Pope. That would allow us to address FS in the 2nd round if you are sold on taking a RB in the 3rd.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
                      Your last statement is solid. Canty would be a solid addition and could instantly impact this team. Canty would take priority over Pope. That would allow us to address FS in the 2nd round if you are sold on taking a RB in the 3rd.

Agreed. Canty would be a welcome addition to this defense, freeing up your second rounder to spend on Johnson or Patrick Chung in the 2nd round. As long as either through FA or the first 2-3 round of the draft we solidify at least one starter in EACH level of the defense, i'm perfectly fine with taking a RB, depending on who is on the board at the time.
                      Arizona Cardinals GM.

Comment

Working...
                      X