Lancane's Updated Mock Draft *No Free Agency or Trades*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    the only pick I like is Javon Ringer and Ron Brace.

In a perfect world we would get Raji in the first, and William Moore in the 2nd, and Marcus Freeman in the 3rd........

or Maulauga in the 1st, Ron Brace in the 2nd, and the best available safety in the 3rd

"A" for effort though Lancane :salute!:
    Safety, Safety, Safety...even if we had a young Atwater on this defense it would not help a damn thing, not unless we stuck with the 4-3! Fans need to get it that the backfield means squat without a decent defensive line and everyone on these boards are high as a crack-fiend if they actually believe we have the people in place to get anywhere..."But Peterson, Thomas and Crowder"...Hellooo...we do not even know if they will end up fitting the 3-4, if we are switching you do not risk chances on probables, you take who will fix your needs. The same chite with these whinning little babies saying we should take a damn cornerback, it is pathetic...seriously.

Denver's issue has been defensive line, the safety class is deep with talent but the defensive line is not, well not unless we stick to the 4-3. But again we do not know. Maualuga is likely going to be our pick, I have stated that time and again, but even then the needs we have are nose tackle, defensive end and rushing linebacker and they are more important then safety. I love safeties...hell it was my position in college and before so my senior year in High School. But even with good safeties I have seen defenses do squat without a front seven.

Delmas will likely be the first safety taken followed by Johnson and Moore. By this happening others fall, Chung will likely slip to late second early third round. After him, you have Smith, Pageus who will likely go in the third round, Cook who is a second round graded pick could fall as far as the fourth, Harris, Hamlin, Martin, Wiley, Vaughn and Nolan. This is a good safety class, where there is steep talent though some fall, what is not steep is defensive lineman...it would be easy if we were going to stay 4-3, take Orakpo or Raji if they fell or trade down and take Jerry, Delmas or even take a topshelf tailback. But defensive line is without question the most important need Denver has. 3-4 defensive lineman are the hardest to grab in this draft, Jackson is the best of the bunch in some peoples opinion, so he is feesable. I would love to see Denver get Everette Brown, but I also realize that he will not likely be there. Fans want and want, but forget that it don't make a damn bit of difference who we think is best, but what is best for the team. And I think it is Jackson if Maualuga and Brown are gone.

I am working on my 4-3 mock draft right now and I have us taking Orakpo first, Matthews second and Scott in the third. It is possible Denver looks past Ringer and takes a safety, but the fact that one of the top tailbacks is still available, I do not think they would pass it up...not one that has the skills to fit a spread offense and the west coast offense, Ringer is about damn near perfect for Denver...I worry about his worn body. But you never succeed unless your willing to chance it.

IMHO...the best move would be to sign Canty, trade down a little bit and add more picks, trade for GW if possible. Sign a good starting safety, sign a capable and proven Weigmann, focus the draft with the rest of our needs. Defensive End depth, Rushing Linebacker, Nose Tackle, Ike Linebacker, Safety and Halfback, even Tight Ends and Receivers if need be...but people wanted to know how I saw this going down with no free agency or trades and this is what I foresee at this time...Simple as that!

Comment

Good work as always
      Humm....

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
        Safety, Safety, Safety...even if we had a young Atwater on this defense it would not help a damn thing, not unless we stuck with the 4-3! Fans need to get it that the backfield means squat without a decent defensive line and everyone on these boards are high as a crack-fiend if they actually believe we have the people in place to get anywhere..."But Peterson, Thomas and Crowder"...Hellooo...we do not even know if they will end up fitting the 3-4, if we are switching you do not risk chances on probables, you take who will fix your needs. The same chite with these whinning little babies saying we should take a damn cornerback, it is pathetic...seriously.

Denver's issue has been defensive line, the safety class is deep with talent but the defensive line is not, well not unless we stick to the 4-3. But again we do not know. Maualuga is likely going to be our pick, I have stated that time and again, but even then the needs we have are nose tackle, defensive end and rushing linebacker and they are more important then safety. I love safeties...hell it was my position in college and before so my senior year in High School. But even with good safeties I have seen defenses do squat without a front seven.

Delmas will likely be the first safety taken followed by Johnson and Moore. By this happening others fall, Chung will likely slip to late second early third round. After him, you have Smith, Pageus who will likely go in the third round, Cook who is a second round graded pick could fall as far as the fourth, Harris, Hamlin, Martin, Wiley, Vaughn and Nolan. This is a good safety class, where there is steep talent though some fall, what is not steep is defensive lineman...it would be easy if we were going to stay 4-3, take Orakpo or Raji if they fell or trade down and take Jerry, Delmas or even take a topshelf tailback. But defensive line is without question the most important need Denver has. 3-4 defensive lineman are the hardest to grab in this draft, Jackson is the best of the bunch in some peoples opinion, so he is feesable. I would love to see Denver get Everette Brown, but I also realize that he will not likely be there. Fans want and want, but forget that it don't make a damn bit of difference who we think is best, but what is best for the team. And I think it is Jackson if Maualuga and Brown are gone.

I am working on my 4-3 mock draft right now and I have us taking Orakpo first, Matthews second and Scott in the third. It is possible Denver looks past Ringer and takes a safety, but the fact that one of the top tailbacks is still available, I do not think they would pass it up...not one that has the skills to fit a spread offense and the west coast offense, Ringer is about damn near perfect for Denver...I worry about his worn body. But you never succeed unless your willing to chance it.

IMHO...the best move would be to sign Canty, trade down a little bit and add more picks, trade for GW if possible. Sign a good starting safety, sign a capable and proven Weigmann, focus the draft with the rest of our needs. Defensive End depth, Rushing Linebacker, Nose Tackle, Ike Linebacker, Safety and Halfback, even Tight Ends and Receivers if need be...but people wanted to know how I saw this going down with no free agency or trades and this is what I foresee at this time...Simple as that!

What I've always liked about you is that you explain your thought processes so that I can see where and how you draw up your conclusions and stances. Now, most of the time I think I see an error in your thinking, such as here, but it is wonderful to have discussions with someone whom takes the time to outline his thoughts. So, much respect to you.

I think our thought processes differ on the Safety prospects. I view Sean Smith as the best safety now, I think he's like Antrel Rolle, he could play corner, but he will be dominant as a Safety. Antrel Rolle went in the Top 10. I think Smith is a mid-1st Rounder. I see Delmas going in the Late 1st Round, and then Johnson and Moore in the early 2nd Round. I think Chung is a possibility for us in the 2nd, but he'll go in Mid/late 2nd somewhere. Then its Bruton, Hamlin, Harris, and Vaughn in the 3rd Round. Pegues, whom I like alot, is in the 4th along with Cook and Wiley. The 5th should give us solid prospects like Curtis Taylor, Courtney Greene, Kevin Ellison, Sherrod Martin, and CJ Spillman.

So, I'm on board with your thought that we could get a very good prospect in the 5th round due to a deep safety class, where some will surely slip. I just disagree with which individual prospects you think might still be there.

I also will reiterate, so you're not standing alone, that I agree that Tyson Jackson is a legit consideration for us in the 1st Round. He had a ho-hum Senior year, but he was dominant in his earlier seasons. And he's a plug and play as a 3-4 DE from Day 1. There is no 2-3 year development with him, he's plug and play. He would be a great pick for Denver, an A+ selection. I personally believe there will be other A+ selections still available though that might be more desireable due to the fact that 3-4 DEs are not valued that highly. Very, very rarely do they go in the Top 15, though it does happen, I think Marcus Spears to Dallas was the last one...from LSU.

I also agree that Javon Ringer would be a perfect fit in every conceivable way for Denver. The only better option in this draft, for Denver's needs, which is a quality blocker, receiver, and home run threat, is Knowshon Moreno whom I expect to be LONG gone by the time we pick #12 Overall. The Draft experts will catch up soon. Javon Ringer would be another A+ pick, though we might have to trade up from our 3rd rounder to get him. I think Late 2nd is where he might go, its a gamble to see if he fails to us. He would be a steal in the 3rd Round. He will not make it to the 4th.

Concerning our need at 3-4 DE, Chris Canty would be a superb FA pickup, I still don't believe Dallas lets him go, they don't have much left and he's clearly outplayed Spears. The way I look at it though, someone, likely Marcus Thomas, can play RDE. He's a Quasi-Nose, he's perfect for a 3-4 DE. We do need a NT, though Robertson could tide us over for a year, even if he hates it. Carlton Powell, to me, might be a better fit as a DE. We'll have to see. Anyway, I figure we just need one DE. Whether its FA or the draft, we have too many needs to worry about that position too much. So, if you sign Canty, you don't draft Jackson. If you can't sign anyone, you draft Jackson. If we sign a DE, I think Jackson in the 1st Round is out the window.

Concerning your 4-3 mock. Be careful with Clay Mathews, he won't be available when we pick in the 2nd Round. That's a lock. Kiper, Mayock, and everyone else has him in the 1st Round now. When its a consensus, its usually correct. At worst, I think he goes in the tip-top of the 2nd Round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
          What I've always liked about you is that you explain your thought processes so that I can see where and how you draw up your conclusions and stances. Now, most of the time I think I see an error in your thinking, such as here, but it is wonderful to have discussions with someone whom takes the time to outline his thoughts. So, much respect to you.

I think our thought processes differ on the Safety prospects. I view Sean Smith as the best safety now, I think he's like Antrel Rolle, he could play corner, but he will be dominant as a Safety. Antrel Rolle went in the Top 10. I think Smith is a mid-1st Rounder. I see Delmas going in the Late 1st Round, and then Johnson and Moore in the early 2nd Round. I think Chung is a possibility for us in the 2nd, but he'll go in Mid/late 2nd somewhere. Then its Bruton, Hamlin, Harris, and Vaughn in the 3rd Round. Pegues, whom I like alot, is in the 4th along with Cook and Wiley. The 5th should give us solid prospects like Curtis Taylor, Courtney Greene, Kevin Ellison, Sherrod Martin, and CJ Spillman.

So, I'm on board with your thought that we could get a very good prospect in the 5th round due to a deep safety class, where some will surely slip. I just disagree with which individual prospects you think might still be there.

I also will reiterate, so you're not standing alone, that I agree that Tyson Jackson is a legit consideration for us in the 1st Round. He had a ho-hum Senior year, but he was dominant in his earlier seasons. And he's a plug and play as a 3-4 DE from Day 1. There is no 2-3 year development with him, he's plug and play. He would be a great pick for Denver, an A+ selection. I personally believe there will be other A+ selections still available though that might be more desireable due to the fact that 3-4 DEs are not valued that highly. Very, very rarely do they go in the Top 15, though it does happen, I think Marcus Spears to Dallas was the last one...from LSU.

I also agree that Javon Ringer would be a perfect fit in every conceivable way for Denver. The only better option in this draft, for Denver's needs, which is a quality blocker, receiver, and home run threat, is Knowshon Moreno whom I expect to be LONG gone by the time we pick #12 Overall. The Draft experts will catch up soon. Javon Ringer would be another A+ pick, though we might have to trade up from our 3rd rounder to get him. I think Late 2nd is where he might go, its a gamble to see if he fails to us. He would be a steal in the 3rd Round. He will not make it to the 4th.

Concerning our need at 3-4 DE, Chris Canty would be a superb FA pickup, I still don't believe Dallas lets him go, they don't have much left and he's clearly outplayed Spears. The way I look at it though, someone, likely Marcus Thomas, can play RDE. He's a Quasi-Nose, he's perfect for a 3-4 DE. We do need a NT, though Robertson could tide us over for a year, even if he hates it. Carlton Powell, to me, might be a better fit as a DE. We'll have to see. Anyway, I figure we just need one DE. Whether its FA or the draft, we have too many needs to worry about that position too much. So, if you sign Canty, you don't draft Jackson. If you can't sign anyone, you draft Jackson. If we sign a DE, I think Jackson in the 1st Round is out the window.

Concerning your 4-3 mock. Be careful with Clay Mathews, he won't be available when we pick in the 2nd Round. That's a lock. Kiper, Mayock, and everyone else has him in the 1st Round now. When its a consensus, its usually correct. At worst, I think he goes in the tip-top of the 2nd Round.
          Thank you MUG, I respect you as well and I always appreciate your insight.

As for safety, do not get me wrong...Delmas is the top safety by consensus majority. But I am high on Smith, infact he is one of the kids I believe will make an immediate impact in this league. Delmas will as well in my honest opinion...However, I could see Vaughn and even possibly Cook falling. Cook will fall simply because of his height and overall size, not to mention his legal troubles.

Again, you saw where I was coming from with the point I was making, but for those whom do not understand I will prove the point with easy mathmatics; there are on average ten prospects give or take one or two at each position in the top four rounds of the draft, close to one hundred and fifty prospects give or take fifteen or so athletes; but there is only one hundred and twenty eight picks in the first four rounds, and a few comp. picks, those other kids push down, while someone now and then reaches and also helps push kids in the draft grade order. This is why I think Ringer and Vaughn may fall...look and Hillis last year, and Marcus Thomas or even Elvis Dumervile...lol. Not all will fall as I have seen, Barwin I think will because the whole one year of success issue. We are starting to see kids rise, Matthews as you said and whom I am high on.

But if we can sign Canty, then he eliminates that Jackson possibility, because Clemons, Thomas and Peterson will be given a shot. Crowder will be used on pass rushing downs and when we do use a 4-3 type scheme. But again there is no given that they will fit, so we need to secure at least one of the two end positions in some manner. I disagree with Robertson, unless McDaniels can talk him into it, and if so that would help leviate pressure. If we do switch to the 4-3 I am hoping that we get Matthews, but again I think we will know more come the combine. I just wished we knew if we were switching to the 3-4 or sticking to the original scheme! But money would be on 3-4 because of the staff McDaniels has assembled.

Right now the defensive line is the most important issue Denver has...once that is somewhat secure then I see them looking at the other needs. I am high on Moreno, and if he is there at 12...he is a possibility, when all is said and done he IMHO will be the best back of the draft, and like you said he is a perfect fit as is Ringer and Coffee IMO.

Comment

Hey Lancane. I really like what you did here. It's a very solid mock. I love the combination of picks, and if this were to play out, for the most part I would feel very confident in our progression towards a 3-4.

The Jackson pick isn't sexy, and it's obviously not our ideal first choice, but it very well might be the hand we are dealt come April. If he portrays quickness, agility and very good strength, I believe your assessment of a top 16 pick would be very likely. If Maualuga were there, and Nolan and Martindale were confident he could be an every-down gem of a ILB, then he would most likely be the obvious choice. But if he weren't, and Jackson was the best available, then I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. He would instantly bolster our DL with Thomas, Brace (your 2nd rounder) and himself. That would be a great run-stuffing trio right there that would hopefully have the ability to free up our LB's to wreak havoc.

Obviously, I like the Brace pick. By default he becomes our starting NT, but hopefully not just by default, but by skill and hard work. I actually think he will be a great NT by the time he is in his 2nd or 3rd year. This year will most likely have its ups and downs, but to throw him right into the thick of things will prove to us what kind of heart and determination the guy has.

If Barwin were there in the 3rd, I would be completely content with taking him. Something has to be said for a guy with versatility like he posesses. He could be our version of Mike Vrabel (Solid tackler, goal line TD threat) . He will take some pruning and molding, but his athletic ability will get him on the field quicker than most will suggest.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ringer in the 4th, but if Chip Vaughn were to move up a little and solidify his 4th round stock, then I think he would be a smarter choice. I am not as worried about Ringer's workload as most. Look at Kevin Smith, he was one of the most-used RB's out of college last year, but still put up a solid year behind that Lions OL.

I love Chip Vaughn, he's an athletic guy with all the tools to play the SS position. I think he would take a little time to get acclamated but once he does I believe he will become a mainstay for our D and prove to be one of our smartest choices in the draft, whether that be in the 4th or in the 5th.

From then on out, I agree with everything. I wouldn't mind seeing Holtzclaw or Brinkley with that 5th. I think Brinkley would represent a force against the run, and I do believe he is still recovering from that knee injury and if he were to drop about 10 pounds from his frame (even though he is rock solid) it could only help with his agility and speed in pass coverage. To me, Brinkley has the biggest upside out of the ILB's in the 3rd to 5th range of the draft.

Overall, great draft man, enjoyed reading it.
            sigpic

Comment

Hahaha...MindField, believe what you want, but there is a chance that Denver will do whatever the hell they feel like. Moss was overrated and I said he would be a bust, and remember I was animate about that and yet, Denver took him. None of us know for sure, but I do not see Denver ridding itself of Bailey this year, not unless it is to fix the trenches and picks do not automatically fill that void, athletes do. Jackson has as much a shot as Orakpo, Maybin and a whole group of athletes.
              Believe me, I am well aware of this...

I am just hoping the scouting process has actually improved and the last draft under the Goodman's was not a mirage.

Comment

Hood is a true 4-3 defensive tackle, he may fit the 3-4 end position, but 3-4 defensive ends are usually 6-4 to 6-6 and are close to 300lbs. give or take five or so pounds. Hood would not be a bad pick, but he is not a true 3-4 end such as Gilbert, Potter and especially Jackson.
                I think the trick to trying to find 3-4 DEs is finding DTs that project well on the outside. SD ran a 1 gap 3-4 for their DEs (and we happened to get their DL coach), so some of these 4-3 DTs could look good outside. I will wait until the combine to see how these DE measure out and perform in some of the agility drills before saying who and who wont be a good fit.

Ziggy is only an inch shorter than Jackson. Jackson may have a slightly better 40, but I will be paying more attention to vertical jumps, 10 & 20 yard dash and the scuttle. From what I saw at the Senior bowl, Ziggy likes to use moves of a DE---spins, swims, rips---that is what got me thinking he could project outside.

I am sure after some combine and Pro Day numbers, everyone will be altering their mock. FA will make it even worse.

Good effort and explanations though.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                  Believe me, I am well aware of this...

I am just hoping the scouting process has actually improved and the last draft under the Goodman's was not a mirage.
                  Trust me, Goodman knows that his career in Denver will succeed or fail on how he does this off-season as well as the next. But since Goodman took over as the head of the scouting department we have essentially drafted 80% better then previous years. Bowlen will hold him accountable for where and when he screws up.

The issue for me is the defensive line and I think they will see it as such as also. And I would still not be surprised if Denver traded down for more picks, and Denver could have some major options if Sanchez or Stafford was available at 12...then the Jets, Lions and Buccaneers would all likely be trading partners.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                    I think the trick to trying to find 3-4 DEs is finding DTs that project well on the outside. SD ran a 1 gap 3-4 for their DEs (and we happened to get their DL coach), so some of these 4-3 DTs could look good outside. I will wait until the combine to see how these DE measure out and perform in some of the agility drills before saying who and who wont be a good fit.

Ziggy is only an inch shorter than Jackson. Jackson may have a slightly better 40, but I will be paying more attention to vertical jumps, 10 & 20 yard dash and the scuttle. From what I saw at the Senior bowl, Ziggy likes to use moves of a DE---spins, swims, rips---that is what got me thinking he could project outside.

I am sure after some combine and Pro Day numbers, everyone will be altering their mock. FA will make it even worse.

Good effort and explanations though.
                    Actually Jackson is 6'5 and Hood is 6'3, Hood still could be a 3-4 end, but he is not a prototypical 3-4 end compared to Jackson, Potter or even Gilbert. But you are correct, there are a lot of defensive tackles that transition to the end position in the 3-4. However it is not wise to fill your roster with possibles, best to always have one true 3-4 defensive end. It would be utter stupidity to start the season with nothing but defensive tackles from our roster and in general vying to play in 3-4 positions that they are adjusting to...good way to get mopped up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                      Who do you take if the draft unfolds like this:

1. Matt Stafford
                      2. Eugene Monroe
                      3. Micheal Crabtree
                      4. Chris Wells
                      5. Everette Brown
                      6. Knowshon Moreno
                      7. Jeremy Maclin
                      8. Jason Smith
                      9. Malcolm Jenkins
                      10. Andre Smith
                      11. Aaron Curry

You have BJ Raji, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, Aaron Maybin, Larry English, Sean Smith, DJ Moore, and Vontae Davis.

** I personally believe Smith, Jackson, and English will be getting talked about in the Top 15 by draft time.
                      Larry english, most scouts already have him heading to chicago at 18, he is the complete package for rush LB far more than ocrapo(lol) and brown, and he has the consistent production to back it up.....

Raji makes plenty of sense and i would almost think you cant pass on him, as i highly doubt brace makes it to pick 48. heck eben in the 4-3 scheme he would be beastly on the line

my 3rd choice would be tyson jackson. We cant stop the run and he excels at it. no matter the scheme he would lock down or power end slot against the run. he also will only get better as a pass rusher.....he is a good value pick and certainly not a 1 year wonder from college....

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                        Larry english, most scouts already have him heading to chicago at 18, he is the complete package for rush LB far more than ocrapo(lol) and brown, and he has the consistent production to back it up.....

Raji makes plenty of sense and i would almost think you cant pass on him, as i highly doubt brace makes it to pick 48. heck eben in the 4-3 scheme he would be beastly on the line

my 3rd choice would be tyson jackson. We cant stop the run and he excels at it. no matter the scheme he would lock down or power end slot against the run. he also will only get better as a pass rusher.....he is a good value pick and certainly not a 1 year wonder from college....
                        After what I have been hearing the likelyhood of the 4-3 remaining in Denver is slim to none. There is still the problem of the multiple 3-4 teams already in play and teams planning on converting. So I am scrapping my 4-3 mock for now, unless I hear a contridiction from the team.

I disagree on English, he is a good option in the latter part of the first, but I do not think he will wow anyone or pass the likes of Orakpo and especially not Brown; sorry but English is nowhere near Brown in talent and skillset. He would still be a solid addition later in the 1st but not before Jackson, Maualuga, and even though I am not high on him, even Raji.

Comment

After what I have been hearing the likelyhood of the 4-3 remaining in Denver is slim to none. There is still the problem of the multiple 3-4 teams already in play and teams planning on converting. So I am scrapping my 4-3 mock for now, unless I hear a contridiction from the team.

I disagree on English, he is a good option in the latter part of the first, but I do not think he will wow anyone or pass the likes of Orakpo and especially not Brown; sorry but English is nowhere near Brown in talent and skillset. He would still be a solid addition later in the 1st but not before Jackson, Maualuga, and even though I am not high on him, even Raji.
                          ocrapo doesnt have nearly the strength english has, and english actually has better pass rush moves. he is also faster than ocrapo. FYI everett brown also played his final game at around 230 LBs...im sorry but he will syroket down if he weighns in that small at combine time.....

and he does have the talent of bothe okrapo and brown....he also has better coverage ability....you will see all this after the combine mark it down.....i said over 4 months ago he would heavily rise from 4th rd pick to 1st rd pick after a game i watched him play......at 260 he is much more compact than brown, and he has much better coverage ability than okcrapo....

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                            ocrapo doesnt have nearly the strength english has, and english actually has better pass rush moves. he is also faster than ocrapo. FYI everett brown also played his final game at around 230 LBs...im sorry but he will syroket down if he weighns in that small at combine time.....

and he does have the talent of bothe okrapo and brown....he also has better coverage ability....you will see all this after the combine mark it down.....i said over 4 months ago he would heavily rise from 4th rd pick to 1st rd pick after a game i watched him play......at 260 he is much more compact than brown, and he has much better coverage ability than okcrapo....
                            Orakpo is stronger flat out then most people in this draft, I have seen this kid workout. English is a good athlete, but he does not have the strength of Orakpo, neither does Brown; however Brown flat out has more athletic ability and talent then English, he could rise...but I do not believe he will rise to be a top 15 pick come the draft. I agree he is a more sound prospect at outside linebacker then Orakpo, or I believe. I have already stated that Orakpo is limited and belongs in a 4-3 system to succeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X