Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kicker idea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kicker idea

    I was reading this article about free agents in the Pro Bowl, and would we want Carney for a few years. He doesn't have Prater's potential range, but he is more accurate.

    New York Giants kicker John Carney
    Carney capitalized on the opportunity created by a preseason knee injury to incumbent Lawrence Tynes. He was so solid that the Giants kept him even after Tynes had recuperated. Carney ranked third in field goal percentage at 92.1, having made 35 of his 38 attempts. But the 44-year-old Carney has limited range, which became evident when he missed kicks of 46 and 47 yards in New York's 23-11 playoff loss to Philadelphia.

    With Tynes under contract for four more seasons, New York will let Carney walk. Age will keep Carney from landing a big-money deal, but he would be a good one-year solution for a team with kicking woes.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...or-free-agency

  • #2
    Originally posted by broncsandredsox View Post
    I was reading this article about free agents in the Pro Bowl, and would we want Carney for a few years. He doesn't have Prater's potential range, but he is more accurate.

    New York Giants kicker John Carney
    Carney capitalized on the opportunity created by a preseason knee injury to incumbent Lawrence Tynes. He was so solid that the Giants kept him even after Tynes had recuperated. Carney ranked third in field goal percentage at 92.1, having made 35 of his 38 attempts. But the 44-year-old Carney has limited range, which became evident when he missed kicks of 46 and 47 yards in New York's 23-11 playoff loss to Philadelphia.

    With Tynes under contract for four more seasons, New York will let Carney walk. Age will keep Carney from landing a big-money deal, but he would be a good one-year solution for a team with kicking woes.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...or-free-agency
    I think we need to give Prater one more year atleast to prove that he can improve, and try to get his accuracy worked on.

    I would like to bring in Taylor Melhaf for a camp battle with Prater, Melhaf was drafted out of Wisconsin last year by the saints. Last I heard he was cut for a few rookie misses and is an FA this year. He would be my choice if we bring in anyone to compete with Prater. The best part is that they are bothyoung and whoever wins we could have around for awhile.

    Comment


    • #3
      we could sign him and let him and prater compete in training camp. when carney wins we could keep prater for kick offs and let him learn under a vet kicker.
      Humm....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by swankattack86 View Post
        we could sign him and let him and prater compete in training camp. when carney wins we could keep prater for kick offs and let him learn under a vet kicker.
        If we go back to 2 kickers what was the point of letting Elam go last year

        Carney is gonna want good "kicker" money, so it is comparable to what went down with Elam only Elam is a way better kicker than Carney.

        Just think about it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mike Nugent is the guy I want.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
            Mike Nugent is the guy I want.
            This.

            Originally posted by Ringo56 View Post
            If we go back to 2 kickers what was the point of letting Elam go last year

            Carney is gonna want good "kicker" money, so it is comparable to what went down with Elam only Elam is a way better kicker than Carney.

            Just think about it.
            We never should have let him go, i was pissed when i found out. I agree with you here we should not have to have 2 kickers but i dont trust prater.
            Humm....

            Comment


            • #7
              Ugh.. why did we let Elam go? EASY.

              1).. He wanted more money than we offered.

              2).. He was UNABLE to kick off... thus... we had to use our Punter to do kick-off duties. What was the result of that the last couple years with our Punters doing the kickoffs??? We ranked LAST in opposing team's starting field position.

              What did that do? That means they (our opponents) started closer to the 50 yrd line than any OTHER team in the NFL every time we kicked off. As a result, if/when they we actually held them to punting.. they put US deeper into our own field. Guess what folks, we ranked LAST in starting field position. Ta-da.... its not a coincidence.

              Its a WASTE of a roster spot to have to have an extra kicker on the roster to simply kick off, and no SMART coach is going to do it.

              Prater's stats for his first starting year were NOT worse than almost ALL kickers in the NFL during there first year. GUESS WHAT... when Prater and Elam had the same number of kicks their first starting year... Prater's % of made FGs was HIGHER than Elam's, and Prater had more 40 yrd attmpts and had more 50+yrd attempts than Elam did his first season. Elam, also missed one extra point his first year.

              Comment


              • #8
                Praters fine....don't worry about it.
                sigpic

                And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                  Praters fine....don't worry about it.
                  did you not watch any of the games this year? alot of praters kicks were
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                  sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I say bring in someone to compete with him... But I got a feeling that Prater is going to win out. The Kid is a solid kicker. He was basically a rookie and he did an ok job. He was money inside of 40 and outside of 50 so that leads me to believe that it was a mental thing. I think that he can work through it, if not then we release him. I would like to see him work on his conditioning though.... Near the end of the season it seemed like none of his kick offs were making the end zone. I think next year is going to be a much better effort, and as Rav said... His first year was pretty solid
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                      I say bring in someone to compete with him... But I got a feeling that Prater is going to win out. The Kid is a solid kicker. He was basically a rookie and he did an ok job. He was money inside of 40 and outside of 50 so that leads me to believe that it was a mental thing. I think that he can work through it, if not then we release him. I would like to see him work on his conditioning though.... Near the end of the season it seemed like none of his kick offs were making the end zone. I think next year is going to be a much better effort, and as Rav said... His first year was pretty solid
                      I'm with you on this one....

                      I'm always up for bringing in competition and letting the best man win. But I don't think that Prater was nearly as bad as so many like to make it out to be. His average for his starting year was right on line with some of the best kickers in the NFL.

                      I don't know why so many refuse to just see it for what it is.... normal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Matt is a solid kicker. he's really good with an amazing leg. He just let it get to his head. I used to kick and trust me, it gets to you after you miss just one. Even in practice it messes with you. I swear you people demand perfection, and if there was perfection then why isn't cutler 30/30 for 405 yards every game?? because he MISSES. Does that mean we throw him out? no. everyone makes mistakes, marshall drops balls and cutler throws interceptions. It happens to the best of us. Trust me, Prater is our man through and through:salute!:
                        Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                          I'm with you on this one....

                          I'm always up for bringing in competition and letting the best man win. But I don't think that Prater was nearly as bad as so many like to make it out to be. His average for his starting year was right on line with some of the best kickers in the NFL.

                          I don't know why so many refuse to just see it for what it is.... normal.
                          Yeah people like to think that if your kicker shnaks one or two they are garbage. A good kicker hit 80% of his kicks. Prater hit just less than 75% in his first year. If he gets over his mental block of 40-49 yard kicks we are going to have ourselves a Pro-bowl caliber kicker

                          Just to give you something to compare it to....
                          Vinitari 77% 3 missed PAT
                          Goskowski 77% missed PAT
                          Elam 74% missed PAT
                          Josh Brown 73%
                          Lindell 67%
                          Bironas 80%
                          Jeff Reed 72%
                          Stover 73%

                          These are the stats of some of the best kickers first full season..... I say that Prater is right on par..Plus he has a bigger leg (cept for Elam back in the day)
                          Last edited by japfaff; 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM.
                          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I understand why we let Elam go and why they thought Prater would be the future for this franchise... he has huge potential. But does anyone besides me think that he would have greatly benefited if we had kept Elam around for 1 more year to take Prater under his wing? Yes it would have taken up a roster spot but Prater could have handled everything but those 40-49 yarders in actual gametime and would have had a year to learn from the best in the business.
                            Draft Clay Matthews Jr.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by blackclouds View Post
                              I understand why we let Elam go and why they thought Prater would be the future for this franchise... he has huge potential. But does anyone besides me think that he would have greatly benefited if we had kept Elam around for 1 more year to take Prater under his wing? Yes it would have taken up a roster spot but Prater could have handled everything but those 40-49 yarders in actual gametime and would have had a year to learn from the best in the business.
                              Maybe, but if he was under Elams wing where would that leave him in 09 probably still struggling with the 40 yarders. Hopefully this year he can turn that corner
                              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X