David Johnson - Tulsa - This is THE sleeper in the draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Johnson - Tulsa - This is THE sleeper in the draft

He is predicted to go between round 6 and even go undrafted. This QB will go in round 3.

He makes plays, has a great arm, a cool head and his teammates love him. He led the #1 O in the country and beat teams ranked higher then themselves, even with a questionable D.

The 2 big knocks are the level of competition and he makes a few mistakes. With coaching this kid can be a starter and if he is there in round 5 then the Broncos should take him.

There are not many highlights on him but I found these 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTVY_N5r5w

They only show him making 3 throws - At 10 seconds he has 2 plays in a row and there is one at 1 minute, 15 seconds

He has a few plays here against higher opposition in the rain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbomYEbzG8

Any Tulsa fans out there? Would love to here your thoughts

I have no idea about him i have never seen him play. But I definatly think that it is time for Denver to take a flyer on a late round QB. No one to threaton Jay, but someone to train and build up and then in a few years to trade off for a high pick. Eventually Jay is going to get hurt it would be great to have a young QB step up and impress some team into thinking that they are a future star and give up a couple second Rd picks (ala Schuab, Cassell). Besides Ramsey isn't going to win any games so what have we got to lose..
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

I have no problem taking a QB in round 5, particularly if it frees up more $$$ to spend in FA. Most "Vet" Backups that are any good cost around 2-3MM. Getting a guy we are high on in round 5 makes sense if we feel he can compete year one if needed.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
      J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
      R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
        I have no problem taking a QB in round 5, particularly if it frees up more $$$ to spend in FA. Most "Vet" Backups that are any good cost around 2-3MM. Getting a guy we are high on in round 5 makes sense if we feel he can compete year one if needed.
        I don't think he will be ready for year 1 as a back-up, Ramsey will be the back-up next year and he is not too bad.

I like taking a QB in the later rounds, Johnson will be a project but he has AMAZING potential

Comment

I think rd 5 is a little early but I wouldnt scoff at the idea. I definatly think that it is time for Denver to look at the future and not just next season
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
            I don't think he will be ready for year 1 as a back-up, Ramsey will be the back-up next year and he is not too bad.

I like taking a QB in the later rounds, Johnson will be a project but he has AMAZING potential
            The entire point of drafting a QB is so he can be at least good depth. UDFA are guys you develop.

Like I said, the benefit in my eyes, is the 2.5MM we would save to spend in FA. Maybe we roll the dice and have Hackney for emergencies.

If JC goes down with our defense, we are pretty much screwed anyways. Can you see Ramsey winning with our D. lol

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
            J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
            R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
              The entire point of drafting a QB is so he can be at least good depth. UDFA are guys you develop.

Like I said, the benefit in my eyes, is the 2.5MM we would save to spend in FA. Maybe we roll the dice and have Hackney for emergencies.

If JC goes down with our defense, we are pretty much screwed anyways. Can you see Ramsey winning with our D. lol
              Ramseys not a bad back-up and our D will have to improve if we are to be contenders, hopefully it does.

Most QB's drafted after round 2 are not ready to be a back-up, and from round 5 onwards they are mostly projects.

Comment

I like the idea. If this kid is there and at good value to us I will have no problem with it. I see that Ramsey will be gone next year and hackney will be the back-up with this kid being 3rd string. Shanny always only kept 2 but maybe mcdaniels will keep 3
                Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

Comment

I wouldn't mind taking the kid from Missouri late in the 6th or 7th as a backup

Comment

I was mostly impressed with that kick-off return by #3, what a friggin move he put on that 1st guy!

Comment

not so much a sleeper but someone id like to see the broncos get in the 3rd or 4th round is Ramses Barden from Cal Poly. he's a 6'6" 220 pound wide receiver with good hands, great size, good at getting open, and is very physical. his speed is the only downer (4.55-4.6 40 time but seems faster than he is) but he has a lot of upside. he would fit perfectly with bmarsh and eddie royal. however his stock is rising with everyone and if he has a strong combine he could go in round 2 which would be too early to draft him when we need other positions. He could also be used at the TE position with Scheffler.

Comment

Special Teamer

Let him return punts and run the ball. Looks like a late round steal $$$$.

Nice highlight reel
                        This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Patrick Ramsey won't be back. Hackney is questionable, it will depend on what McDaniels thinks of his film, but I'm sure he will be given the chance to compete for the 2 spot in camp. A strong armed guy that could run the majority of the deep stuff McDaniels is sure to implement would be Byron Leftwich. He has much less mobility than Cutler, but has all of the arm. He will cost though, and Pittsburgh might choose to re-sign him, but looks like Batch will be back.
                          I like the idea of the guy from Tulsa, he looked pretty good. And until Cutler wins, he's a strong arm and a lot of yards, so a late round draft pick is definitely not out of the question. McD didn't draft Cutler, so Jay's margin of error is slimming. I guess we'll see what we see.
                          All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Working...
                          X