Is Ray Maualuga better then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ray Maualuga better then...

More then a few Mock Drafts have Denver picking Maualuga in the first. I think this is a terrible idea. Like most USC players he is severely overrated and not worth the high contract. He's big, always around the ball and a solid run-stuffing SILB but not very fast, polished or good in coverage. All the guys below are also solid run-stuffing SILBs at much lower cost.

Is Ray Maualuga(6-2 255lbs 4.65-40) better then...
    Jason Phillips/TCU 3rd Rnd: 6-1 234lbs 4.55 Fast, intelligent punisher plays bigger then he is. Good coverage and blitz.
    Scott McKillop/Pitt 4th Rnd: 6-1 243lbs 4.69
    Worrell Williams/CAL 4th Rnd: 6-2 249lbs 4.68

Is Spencer Larsen our starting MLB next year so we draft a back-up instead?
    Jason Mauga/Nevada 5th Rnd: 6-2 246lbs 4.61 Great burst and size allows him to play MLB/SILB and WILB/WLB
    Daniel Holtzclaw/E.Mich 6th Rnd: 6-1 245lbs 4.65
    Ronnie Palmer/Arizona 6th Rnd: 6-3 245lbs 4.72

Other Mock Drafts have us picking James Larinaitis(6-3 242lbs 4.59-40) in the first. He's not physical and would do best in the coverage and space of WLB/WILB, not SILB/MLB. Like Maualuga, Larinaitis is a completely over-hyped system-guy and with DJ and Woodyard securing the weak-side I don't think we draft him. For WLB/WILB depth I'd rather take Mauga in the 5th.

What Round do you guys think we pick a MLB and who do you like?

It's so hit or miss we just won't know until next year has been played.

Comment

You forgot to mention Jasper Brinkley out of South Carolina!

This kid will turn out to be a more productive Linebacker than Rey, and he can be had in the 3rd-5th rounds!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

This kid will turn out to be a more productive Linebacker than Rey, and he can be had in the 3rd-5th rounds!
        Especially since he's got great instincts, is still recovering from a freak knee injury, and could stand to lose 10 pounds (he's still a physical specimen while being 6'2 265) to make himself a 3-down LB, yeah, he's gonna turn out to be one of the bigger steals of this draft. I'm actually very high on Brinkley.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

I didn't forget. Brinkley is a beast but it might take a few years(if ever) for him to regain the quickness he lost when he hurt his knee. His knee was not his only injury and he might be prone to them. There are two guys in this draft that could play 3-4 WLB as a back-up to Doom and Moss.
          Jasper Brinkley/S.Carolina 4th Rnd: 6-2 270lbs 4.70 Great run-stuffer and blitz with ability to cover
          Will Davis/Illinois 6th Rnd: 6-3 265lbs 4.70 Great feet for coverage but needs to work on line support and blitz

Brinkley would back-up the first year, Davis for 2-3 years before either could start at 3-4 WLB. Which we choose depends on Doom and Moss's ability to play 3-4 WLB.

Comment

Rey is actually very fast for his size. His coverage isn't THAT bad, but it could use some work.

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
              Like most USC players he is severely overrated and not worth the high contract.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Outside Carson Palmer, most USC offensive players haven't been up to snuff. Reggie Bush? Dwayne Jarrett?

On the other hand, defense has been a solid transition to the pros. Troy Palumalou(sp?) and some other people I can't think of ATM come to mind

Comment

Rey Maualuga!!!!!!

Ray Maualuga is special!!! This guy has it all! I have heard people question his speed and all I have to say is check out his highlights on utube! It will be a mistake if we pass this guy up if he is still on the board! We can build our defense around Maualuga! I mean he does it all, sacks, stops the run, is quick sideline to sideline, is a leader and has a motor that has only one gear and that is all out, all the time! He is an absolute play maker! I can't believe anyone would even question how good he is and he is only going to get faster, stronger and better! This guy is coming out after his junior year! I may be biased because I am an S.C. fan also, but he is a lot like another ray in Baltimore and I know I am going to get ripped for this but I think he is going to be better! Maualuga is going to be a star in this league and we need to make him our star and if you think any different than you have not been paying attention! BLEED ORANGE an BLUE.....because when you are a mile high, everything else is beneath you!!!!!! RAY MAUALUGA belongs at the peak with us!

Comment

Rey Maualuga!!!!!!

Ray Maualuga is special!!! This guy has it all! I have heard people question his speed and all I have to say is check out his highlights on utube! It will be a mistake if we pass this guy up if he is still on the board! We can build our defense around Maualuga! I mean he does it all, sacks, stops the run, is quick sideline to sideline, is a leader and has a motor that has only one gear and that is all out, all the time! He is an absolute play maker! I can't believe anyone would even question how good he is and he is only going to get faster, stronger and better! This guy is coming out after his junior year! I may be biased because I am an S.C. fan also, but he is a lot like another ray in Baltimore and I know I am going to get ripped for this but I think he is going to be better! Maualuga is going to be a star in this league and we need to make him our star and if you think any different than you have not been paying attention! BLEED ORANGE an BLUE.....because when you are a mile high, everything else is beneath you!!!!!! RAY MAUALUGA belongs at the peak with us!

Comment

^^^^^^
                    3 post rule.......and stuttering doesn't count

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
                      ^^^^^^
                      3 post rule.......and stuttering doesn't count
                      Yes, Rey is better then everyone you mentioned. He was the keystone in the best college defense of the year.
                      sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Yea USC produces terrible NFL defensive talent..

Troy Polamalu
                        Lofa Tatupu
                        Mike Patterson
                        Willie McGinest
                        Keith Rivers
                        Sammy Knight
                        Junior Seau

Just a few off the top of my head... Granted, offense is another story.

Comment

I don't know if our staff will like him as a 4-3 LB (MLB/SLB?). We might alternate between defensive schemes in 2009, McD already said that. Is Maualuga versatile? But anyway, if McD decides that our future is the 3-4 defense, then Maualuga could be our pick. I want to watch the Combine and see Maualuga compared to Curry and Laurinaitis. I also like Worrell Williams.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                            I don't know if our staff will like him as a 4-3 LB (MLB/SLB?). We might alternate between defensive schemes in 2009, McD already said that. Is Maualuga versatile? But anyway, if McD decides that our future is the 3-4 defense, then Maualuga could be our pick. I want to watch the Combine and see Maualuga compared to Curry and Laurinaitis. I also like Worrell Williams.
                            Maualuga is strictly a SILB that can't play MLB on a 4-3. He is very quick and solid on the line, but lacks the speed in coverage or range to go sideline-to-sideline. He needs a faster WILB next to him to take the other side of the field.
                            If we are going to alternate between 3-4 and 4-3, Rey will not fit and Laurinaitis can't play inside. Jason Phillips and Jason Mauga have the versatility to play 3-4/4-3 inside and are much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by KoleTrickle View Post
                              Yea USC produces terrible NFL defensive talent..

Troy Polamalu
                              Lofa Tatupu
                              Mike Patterson
                              Willie McGinest
                              Keith Rivers
                              Sammy Knight
                              Junior Seau

Just a few off the top of my head... Granted, offense is another story.

He is a dead ringer for a young Junior Seau. I've been saying it all year.

Comment

Working...
                              X