Options At Middle Linebacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options At Middle Linebacker

For one, I would like to see DJ Williams stay as the weakside linebacker in the 3-4. Would you?

If we want to do this, we need somebody who we can pair up with a draft pick or Spencer Larsen (I hope Larsen gets a shot here)...

Here are some free agent linebackers that could fit in as an Inner Linebacker, some might be cheaper than others:

Channing Crowder
    Andra Davis
    Bart Scott
    Eric Barton (the best, cheapest option IMO)
    Karlos Dansby
    Ray Lewis (a long shot)
    Mike Peterson
    Jonathan Vilma
    Leroy Hill
    Angelo Crowell (nobody is talking about this guy)
    Michael Boley

I understand that this is a long list.......but who would you want the Broncos to sign to help us out at Middle Linebacker (assuming we keep DJ as an Outside Linebacker)
    Last edited by getlynched47; 02-11-2009, 12:24 PM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

D.J. is not suited to play the outside linebacker in a 3-4.

That being said, I would love to see Channing Crowder in a Broncos uniform next year. That would have to be my choice.
    Owned:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronkster View Post

That being said, I would love to see Channing Crowder in a Broncos uniform next year. That would have to be my choice.
      why do you say that?

He's bigger and more athletic than James Harrison

sigpic

Comment

What I want is a Ray Lewis type guy. Hey, how about Ray Lewis?? !!

As for Vilma - 2 years ago I would have taken him, but didn't he have some injuries that have permantently affected his playing ability. Either that, or it was a system deal. Why didn't he fit in with N.O.??

Comment

I will take Bart Scott he is looking like the odd man out in Balt:salute!:

Comment

I do believe that Angelo Crowell would be a great fit for ILB in a 3-4 and he could play SLB in a 4-3 since we will be using a hybrid scheme most likely. People tend to shy away from him because of his "knee injury" but in reality the injury he missed last year due to was pretty minor. He has played with the injury, which is a knee cap issue, and he addressed it right before the season, and the surgery is considered a complete reliever of the issue.

He's a great player, and I would love to see him with DJ Williams on the inside in our 3-4. His versatility to play almost any position in the LB corps would be fantastic to have on the D. He wouldn't be an expensive guy either, and he has done nothing but produce in his young career. He's 27, 6'1" 245, so he has good size as well.
            sigpic

Comment

i have always like andra davis...and taking a chance on crowell could be a good move as well.

I would love to draft rey maualuga, but if we got either of these guys instead i would not be too dissapointed

Comment

....that's why the first round pick should be Maualuga...he fits either a 4-3 or a 3-4, and since the Broncos are likely to morph between the two, you need a player that can do both.

Comment

The most appealing player in this bunch to join DJ in the middle is Channing Crowder, IMO. Picking him up gives us more options going into the draft, making the BJ Raji pick look REALLY good.

Its still really hard to pass on Rey Maualuga knowing what he can bring to this defense. The Broncos selecting Rey means they must have some faith in Ron Brace in the 2nd, to hold down NT. Either way you look at it, I think we're in pretty good position to go either way and find success. Out of that group though, Channing Crowder is who I'd go with.
                  Co-founders of the

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo56 View Post
                    I will take Bart Scott he is looking like the odd man out in Balt:salute!:
                    I'd take Bart Scott or Angelo Crowell.........both are solid options.

I'm not a fan of the whole Crowder thing because he's got knee issues, and since he's young he will probably be one of the most expensive linebackers on the list next to Ray Lewis and Karlos Dansby.

Eric Barton is also a good option....he's coming off a solid season and he'd be extremely cheap....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronkster View Post

agreed, if Bart Scott isn't with Ravens he will go to the Jets. Crowder should be a main priority for free agency.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would personally go after Mike Peterson. Run stuffer up the middle and he comes at a cheaper price. Would also like to see Crowder or Crowell, but they will come at a much steeper price. We need depth and I think we need to spend the big money on a safety.

I also believe that our LB's may simply be better thanks to new aggressive game plan. We have some good young talent here already and a long term pricey LB would hamper the development of the youth. Peterson is perfect to bring in for a couple of years and then retire and leave room for Larsen, Woodyard, and Draft Pick to develop.
                        2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

[QUOTE=getlynched47;2589323]I'd take Bart Scott or Angelo Crowell.........both are solid options.

I'm not a fan of the whole Crowder thing because he's got knee issues, and since he's young he will probably be one of the most expensive linebackers on the list next to Ray Lewis and Karlos Dansby.

Eric Barton is also a good option....he's coming off a solid season and he'd be extremely cheap....[QUOTE]

barton is coming of a dissapointing season, he also is aging and declining in play very quickly.....he would be a waste of money here....the jets are looking to replace him in the draft with a ILB, and if you read some of there forums they cant wait to be rid of him, kinda like nate webster here......

Bart scott, angelo Crowell make good sense, and vilma actually did well last year with new orleans so he is a option as well.

other than that stick to the draft. 4-5 th rd is pay dirt....

Jason Phillips, Scott mckillop, Jasper brinkley, Daniel Holtzclaw, and Worrel williams(DJ's Brother)......

Comment

In truth we really do not know if Larsen even fits the interior of the 3-4, nor Williams. There is a question of Moss and Dumervile, Koutouvides and others. I would not be surprised to see any linebacker added in free agency and I expect at least one and at least two not including a rush linebacker in the draft.

Comment

DJ Williams and Larsen will be more than adequate MLB's in the 3-4. We will need to find a NT, 2 DE's, 2 OLB and at least one saftety to make the 3-4 work. It will be a miracle if we could pull this off in one year, and likely take 2-3 years. It would be a luxury to draft another MLB.

Comment

Working...
                              X