Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest in FA Defensive players.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interest in FA Defensive players.

    Ok....forgive me if I am wrong...but I'm not seeing a whole lot of interest in any of the big name free agents on defense from the Broncos.....I know it is early in the off season and we are planning on a defensive orientated draft but still I would at least think I would be hearing the Broncos in some conversations but I'm not....

  • #2
    Originally posted by Xtreme Bronco View Post
    Ok....forgive me if I am wrong...but I'm not seeing a whole lot of interest in any of the big name free agents on defense from the Broncos.....I know it is early in the off season and we are planning on a defensive orientated draft but still I would at least think I would be hearing the Broncos in some conversations but I'm not....
    I was wondering about this myself. I am really hoping we see some action in FA this year - we haven't really seen any big moves since Portis 4 Bailey. Perhaps it is a little quiet because of the front office happenings of late. I really want to see a big name or two on defense!
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Chill, I don't think FA doesn't start for another week or so?

      I don't want us to get big name FA, unless they will make an impact imediately. I'd rather have quality, cheap guys that will contribute. :salute!:

      Comment


      • #4
        Free Agency starts on the last day of the month, and you do not here any rumblings as then the auction begins. If you hear that McD really wants to pursue Peppers for instance the bidding war begins immediately. You keep quiet and hope that when the signing period begins you can land FA's at a better value. I would not worry, help on D will be sought out.
        2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

        Comment


        • #5
          Part of this is due to the fact that free agency doesn't start until the end of February. Technically, the NFL is still in the 2008-2009 year. Hence, even the players that will be FA this year are still the 'property' of their current teams. Right now, no team can even talk about these players because they are still under contract with the other teams. So ... the Broncos couldn't come out and say 'we're going to push hard to bring Player X to Denver'. If they did, they would face punishment from the league.

          In any event - I personally don't see the Broncos making any moves on the big names (whomever is left). That's not the way Josh McD is used to building a team and there are just far too many signs that the Broncos' bank account is not flush with cash. Even if they want to make a move, financially they may not be able to.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
            Chill, I don't think FA doesn't start for another week or so?

            I don't want us to get big name FA, unless they will make an impact imediately. I'd rather have quality, cheap guys that will contribute. :salute!:
            I see what your saying but i'm not sure I agree...I mean as of late the Broncos have been down this road before by picking up supposedly quality but cheap talent and they have sucked for us.....So I think we need to get somebody who we know what we are going to get from them....

            Comment


            • #7
              The only kids available to sign are those whom are waived and those who have been free agents since last year! That is not a very good list to choose from...lol. While there sometimes are quality players waived early, it usually is not that big of a thing to rush out and sign them immediatley. Free Agents can start setting up appointments via their agents, but they can not be reported or confirmed until free agency starts. Just be patient...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Xtreme Bronco View Post
                I see what your saying but i'm not sure I agree...I mean as of late the Broncos have been down this road before by picking up supposedly quality but cheap talent and they have sucked for us.....So I think we need to get somebody who we know what we are going to get from them....
                The Broncos have used both approaches and neither has really worked - save for the moves that led to the 2 SBs. In the following years, there has been a long list of FA - high priced and low - that have not lived up to expectations. Blame it on the old regime if you want, but the bottom line is that FA is being proven time and again to not be the way to build a team.

                The Broncos didn't make it work. Recently, the big spenders in FA/trades have been the Redskins. How much recent post season success have they had? NY Jets and the Browns were aggressive last year ... both resulted in non-playoff appearances and the firing of the coaches.

                Successful teams build through the draft and avoid the big name FAs. That's just the reality today ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yea i agree building through the draft is the best idea, and then use FA to fill the missing pieces of the puzzle when you are ready for that SB run.
                  Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                  Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X