Rey Maualuga, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 254.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.68 / TOP 15

James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 243.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54 / TOP 25

Thoughts on the following...:

If we switch to a 34D:

Could all these players flourish as ILB in 34D?

What sets them apart playing ILB in 34D?

Does Laurinaitis make more sense as mid-late R1 pick?
    (over aforementioned)

Thoughts?!

Laurinaitis shouldn't even be in this conversation, seriously. He belongs in the late first round.

Curry is obviously the best LB available in this years draft, but he won't be available at #12. I would love him. But he's simply not going to be there. So unless we package a load of picks and move up at about 5-7 spots, there's no shot that he becomes a Denver Bronco.

That brings us to Maualuga. He's our man, and he should be. He would bring that wreckless abandon attitude and he'd bring leadership qualities that our defense hasn't had in years. I'd be sooo ecstatic if his name is called with our pick on April 25th.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post
      Laurinaitis shouldn't even be in this conversation, seriously. He belongs in the late first round.

Curry is obviously the best LB available in this years draft, but he won't be available at #12. I would love him. But he's simply not going to be there. So unless we package a load of picks and move up at about 5-7 spots, there's no shot that he becomes a Denver Bronco.

That brings us to Maualuga. He's our man, and he should be. He would bring that wreckless abandon attitude and he'd bring leadership qualities that our defense hasn't had in years. I'd be sooo ecstatic if his name is called with our pick on April 25th.
      LMAO you clearly just repeated what you heard. That Pargraph had no "BEEF" to it..
      -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL View Post
        LMAO you clearly just repeated what you heard. That Pargraph had no "BEEF" to it..
        Repeated what I heard from where? I don't repeat what I hear, I form my own opinion and draw my own conclusions, thank you very much.
        Last edited by ReleaseTheBeast7; 02-13-2009, 06:04 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Repeated what I heard from where? I don't repeat what I hear, I have my own opinion and draw my own conclusions, thank you very much.
          Obviously you dont if you think Laurnitis dosent "BELONG in the Disscusion"... . Lets not the image of O-state affect the players for the love of Gosh. Robiskie And Laurnitis are The Steals of this years draft. WRITE IT DOWN!
          -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

Obviously you dont if you think Laurnitis dosent "BELONG in the Disscusion"... . Lets not the image of O-state affect the players for the love of Gosh. Robiskie And Laurnitis are The Steals of this years draft. WRITE IT DOWN!
            Laurinaitis doesn't belong in the discussion. He's not the playmaker, or the game changer that Curry and Maualuga are. And that's what we need.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Laurinaitis is a bad player at all, as I mentioned before, he's a late first rounder. That's not saying he's bad. That's just saying that he isn't elite. He's a solid player, and that's what he'll be in the NFL. Nothing spectacular. Won't make you say wow.

And more importantly, he's a 4-3 ILB. There's no way, in my opinion, that he'll make it in a 3-4 defense, he's simply not strong enough and he's overly aggressive. He won't be able to smash his way through blockers and get in the backfield. If anything, he'll use his speed to range from sideline-to-sideline and he'll over run some plays and take bad angles. I can't and don't want to see him in orange and blue.

Trust me, being a Michigan fan, I've seen 4 years of every Ohio State player in this draft(And if you haven't noticed, Ohio State has played their best football of the season against Michigan as of late), and the most overrated is Laurinaitis. Again, this is not saying that he is BAD, he's just not on the level of Maualuga and Curry.

As far as Robiskie. I like him, a lot. As I quote myself from my senior bowl analysis(Which is in my blog in my sig):
            "As a group, I was really impressed with Brian Robiskie, and Derrick Williams, the two WRs representing the Big 10. As a Michigan fan, I've seen plenty of these guys, and I really like what each brings. Robiskie is an excellent route runner and seems like he's always open, reminds me a lot of Anthony Gonzalez who came out of Ohio State 2 years ago. If he can do this consistently at the next level, I think he could be a great slot receiver for years to come.

Then there's Derrick Williams, who is just a great talented receiver. If he can put it together consistently, hold onto the ball, and just listen to what he coaches have to say, I could see him being a playmaker at the next level. Think of this year's Eddie Royal, because that's who I compare him to."

And that's the way I see things.
            Last edited by ReleaseTheBeast7; 02-13-2009, 06:26 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Rey Maualuga > rest.

Comment

Laurinaitis doesn't belong in the discussion. He's not the playmaker, or the game changer that Curry and Maualuga are. And that's what we need.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Laurinaitis is a bad player at all, as I mentioned before, he's a late first rounder. That's not saying he's bad. That's just saying that he isn't elite. He's a solid player, and that's what he'll be in the NFL. Nothing spectacular. Won't make you say wow.

And more importantly, he's a 4-3 ILB. There's no way, in my opinion, that he'll make it in a 3-4 defense, he's simply not strong enough and he's overly aggressive. He won't be able to smash his way through blockers and get in the backfield. If anything, he'll use his speed to range from sideline-to-sideline and he'll over run some plays and take bad angles. I can't and don't want to see him in orange and blue.

Trust me, being a Michigan fan, I've seen 4 years of every Ohio State player in this draft(And if you haven't noticed, Ohio State has played their best football of the season against Michigan as of late), and the most overrated is Laurinaitis. Again, this is not saying that he is BAD, he's just not on the level of Maualuga and Curry.

As far as Robiskie. I like him, a lot. As I quote myself from my senior bowl analysis(Which is in my blog in my sig):
                "As a group, I was really impressed with Brian Robiskie, and Derrick Williams, the two WRs representing the Big 10. As a Michigan fan, I've seen plenty of these guys, and I really like what each brings. Robiskie is an excellent route runner and seems like he's always open, reminds me a lot of Anthony Gonzalez who came out of Ohio State 2 years ago. If he can do this consistently at the next level, I think he could be a great slot receiver for years to come.

Then there's Derrick Williams, who is just a great talented receiver. If he can put it together consistently, hold onto the ball, and just listen to what he coaches have to say, I could see him being a playmaker at the next level. Think of this year's Eddie Royal, because that's who I compare him to."

And that's the way I see things.
                Actually first off let me apologize I let my Bias and emotion get the Best of me. I dont think Laurni**** is "THAT GOOD". However, hes never had the Talent Up front like Rey has had. I wont disipute Curry b.c i dont know a damn thing about him. Ray Lewis is undersized and can play in the 3-4 ,so can Zach Thomas.

Also Derrick Williams is Terrible. He should have never Went to PSU just like Justin King.
                -Bronco in UT

Helll of a post

Comment

Actually first off let me apologize I let my Bias and emotion get the Best of me. I dont think Laurni**** is "THAT GOOD". However, hes never had the Talent Up front like Rey has had.
                  That's the thing. Rey made players around him better, he was the heart and soul of the defense at USC. And let's be serious, while Rey had the talent up front(Guys like Lawrence Jackson, and Sedrick Ellis), you have to look at the competition level.

Let's be for real now, I'm assuming you're an Ohio State fan. I'm a Michigan fan. I think we can both agree that the Big 10 is not what it once was, and the competition level does not match that of the Pac 10, Big 12, or SEC. And I think this argument could be settled by me simply bringing up the Ohio State-USC game in week 2 or 3, whatever it was.

Rey shined in a high level of competition. Laurinaitis was a good player in a decent level of competition. And yes, a strong supporting cast will make you look great, but Rey was the one that made everyone else look great. Everything on a defense stems from the middle.

It goes from DT to MLB to FS. These are the 3 most important positions on a defense, and it goes right up the gut of the D. With DT being the first, MLB being the second, and FS being the 3rd.

So let's look at Maualuga, he's had Sedrick Ellis his whole career, until this past year, and he looked just as good without Ellis as he did with Ellis. The man is a stud, and a playmaker.

If I could compare him to a player, I'd compare him to Troy Polamalu if Polamalu was a LB. He swarms, he makes plays, he hits hard, he has heart, desire, loves to compete, he's big, he's strong, he never hesitates, he's the entire package.

Ray Lewis is undersized and can play in the 3-4 ,so can Zach Thomas.
                  You're bringing up two of the best LBs of this decade. That's not fair to Laurinaitis himself. And really, Laurinaitis isn't tremendously undersized, he's 6'3, 235-240. If he adds 10lbs of bulk, he's a prototypical sized 3-4 ILB. But the fact of the matter is that he doesn't play the game as a 3-4 ILB. He's not physical, he shies away from contact, and won't make the big hit. He'll wrap up, but he won't be anything spectacular as I mentioned before.

He's not great, and he never will be great. There's not much potential or upside to his game.

Maualuga has the potential to be a star in this league, and his game AS OF RIGHT NOW, already shames Laurinaitis.

Honestly, if we let Maualuga pass us by if he's available(In favor of ANY player), we're stupid. Especially since he'll most likely head off to San Diego then. That defense would become so much better with his addition, but so would ours.

In my opinion, Maualuga is the MUST PICK, even if Raji is there. Raji has a higher bust factor than Maualuga, and I just feel that Maualuga is the better fit for this team, and the better pure football player.

Also Derrick Williams is Terrible. He should have never Went to PSU just like Justin King.
                  I completely disagree. His talent was overshadowed by a number of other receivers in Deon Butler, and Jordan Norwood. He does everything good, but nothing great. But his upside is unmatched, the sky is the limit for him and he has a GREAT amount of potential.

Like I said, he's just like Eddie Royal. Didn't catch a lot of passes, but he's a playmaker and he will be a better pro than he was a college player. After all, he was the #1 recruit in the entire nation coming out of high school, that HAS to count for something. He's going to be a good pro.
                  sigpic

Comment

That's the thing. Rey made players around him better, he was the heart and soul of the defense at USC. And let's be serious, while Rey had the talent up front(Guys like Lawrence Jackson, and Sedrick Ellis), you have to look at the competition level.

Let's be for real now, I'm assuming you're an Ohio State fan. I'm a Michigan fan. I think we can both agree that the Big 10 is not what it once was, and the competition level does not match that of the Pac 10, Big 12, or SEC. And I think this argument could be settled by me simply bringing up the Ohio State-USC game in week 2 or 3, whatever it was.

Rey shined in a high level of competition. Laurinaitis was a good player in a decent level of competition. And yes, a strong supporting cast will make you look great, but Rey was the one that made everyone else look great. Everything on a defense stems from the middle.

It goes from DT to MLB to FS. These are the 3 most important positions on a defense, and it goes right up the gut of the D. With DT being the first, MLB being the second, and FS being the 3rd.

So let's look at Maualuga, he's had Sedrick Ellis his whole career, until this past year, and he looked just as good without Ellis as he did with Ellis. The man is a stud, and a playmaker.

If I could compare him to a player, I'd compare him to Troy Polamalu if Polamalu was a LB. He swarms, he makes plays, he hits hard, he has heart, desire, loves to compete, he's big, he's strong, he never hesitates, he's the entire package.

You're bringing up two of the best LBs of this decade. That's not fair to Laurinaitis himself. And really, Laurinaitis isn't tremendously undersized, he's 6'3, 235-240. If he adds 10lbs of bulk, he's a prototypical sized 3-4 ILB. But the fact of the matter is that he doesn't play the game as a 3-4 ILB. He's not physical, he shies away from contact, and won't make the big hit. He'll wrap up, but he won't be anything spectacular as I mentioned before.

He's not great, and he never will be great. There's not much potential or upside to his game.

Maualuga has the potential to be a star in this league, and his game AS OF RIGHT NOW, already shames Laurinaitis.

Honestly, if we let Maualuga pass us by if he's available(In favor of ANY player), we're stupid. Especially since he'll most likely head off to San Diego then. That defense would become so much better with his addition, but so would ours.

In my opinion, Maualuga is the MUST PICK, even if Raji is there. Raji has a higher bust factor than Maualuga, and I just feel that Maualuga is the better fit for this team, and the better pure football player.

I completely disagree. His talent was overshadowed by a number of other receivers in Deon Butler, and Jordan Norwood. He does everything good, but nothing great. But his upside is unmatched, the sky is the limit for him and he has a GREAT amount of potential.

Like I said, he's just like Eddie Royal. Didn't catch a lot of passes, but he's a playmaker and he will be a better pro than he was a college player. After all, he was the #1 recruit in the entire nation coming out of high school, that HAS to count for something. He's going to be a good pro.
                    HMM I REALLY REALLY LIKE U DUDE UR AWESOME. I understand why you would Think Rey's gonna be a sure fired star b.c i believe it to. I will say hes played in SC aka Bust U.S.A. Level of Comp Is overrated unless its a QB like Cutler, Rivers or Matt Ryan. Alsmost every player picked from OSU in the Early rounds has Produced. The only Dissapoinment is Bobby Carpenter and thats b.c hes to busy playing reporter instead of football.

I stick to my statment Derrick Williams is Terrible. Hes not a good route runner and hes not that fast. I dont understand his positives personally.
                    -Bronco in UT

Helll of a post

Comment

For me, Maualuga is likely going to be our best option (and I do think he'll be there at the 12th pick). He's a beast. He's also a little rough around the edges. To be honest though, if he can refine his game, I think he has greater max potential than Curry.
                      Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                        For me, Maualuga is likely going to be our best option (and I do think he'll be there at the 12th pick). He's a beast. He's also a little rough around the edges. To be honest though, if he can refine his game, I think he has greater max potential than Curry.
                        I assume the respondents to this thread must believe that the mentioned 3 - Rey, Curry and J.L. - must be the top 3 LB's in the Draft. Or is it ILB's?

Two problems:

1. Why does everybody keep putting Laurinaitis up for discussion, then trashing the poor guy, then admitting that he's a late first rounder??? Hello! In my book, anybody who's a 1st rounder (as, of course, evaluated by NFL SCOUTS and COACHES) is pretty darn good and a potential difference maker. So, if you're going to trash J.L., at least be consistent and boot him down to the 3rd round or worse. For me, I think he could turn out to be a solid pick for any one who gets him.

2. And, insert Brian Cushing in that discussion. Because I would take him over Rey. And why? Because I believe my own lyin' eyes. In the Rose Bowl, Rey was seldom seen and Cushing was everywhere, sideline to sideline, making tackles and causing havoc. And, oh, by the way, right behind him was Mathews, the other-other USC LB.

But nnnnooooooooo. Everybody's gotta have Rey.

Don't be surprised if the brass is looking seriously as B.C.

Comment

Rey is our man... Curry is the best LB in the draft but will be gone before we pick so Rey is our guy plain and simple James is a late 1st early 2nd round pick
                          Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler4tw View Post
                            Rey is our man... Curry is the best LB in the draft but will be gone before we pick so Rey is our guy plain and simple James is a late 1st early 2nd round pick
                            I do believe Maualuga might be our pick in the end. Orakpo or Brown would def. make it a harder decision if they were there, but I don't think they will be when it's all said and done. I say this often, but if Nolan and Martindale think they have a gem in Maualuga, and they believe they can make him into the player he definetly could be, and tap his seemingly endless potential, then that would be more than enough for me. If not, I would expect us to be trading back, adding up some picks, and as a result, getting us an extra starter for week 1.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trenchwar08 View Post
                              I assume the respondents to this thread must believe that the mentioned 3 - Rey, Curry and J.L. - must be the top 3 LB's in the Draft. Or is it ILB's?

Two problems:

1. Why does everybody keep putting Laurinaitis up for discussion, then trashing the poor guy, then admitting that he's a late first rounder??? Hello! In my book, anybody who's a 1st rounder (as, of course, evaluated by NFL SCOUTS and COACHES) is pretty darn good and a potential difference maker. So, if you're going to trash J.L., at least be consistent and boot him down to the 3rd round or worse. For me, I think he could turn out to be a solid pick for any one who gets him.

2. And, insert Brian Cushing in that discussion. Because I would take him over Rey. And why? Because I believe my own lyin' eyes. In the Rose Bowl, Rey was seldom seen and Cushing was everywhere, sideline to sideline, making tackles and causing havoc. And, oh, by the way, right behind him was Mathews, the other-other USC LB.

But nnnnooooooooo. Everybody's gotta have Rey.

Don't be surprised if the brass is looking seriously as B.C.
                              I like Cushing more than Laurinaitis for a 3-4 ILB no doubt, but his injury problems raise a red flag for me. I wouldn't take him over Rey.
                              Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X