Darren Sproles-coming trend scat-backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren Sproles-coming trend scat-backs

This is how they explain the difference between power backs and scat backs on wikipedia:
    There is a great diversity in those who play at the running back position. At one extreme are smaller, faster players. These fast, agile, and elusive running backs are often called "scat backs" because their low center of gravity and maneuverability allow them to dodge tacklers.
    At the other extreme are "power backs": bigger, stronger players who can break through tackles using brute strength and raw power. They are usually (but not always) slower runners compared to other backs, and typically run straight ahead (or "North-and-South" in football terminology) rather than dodging to the outside edges of the playing field (i.e. running "East-and-West") like shorter, quicker, lighter backs will often do.
    Several successful running backs fall somewhere between the extremes of "scat back" and "power back", combining speed and agility with power and strength.

Now there are quite a few scat back type players available in the draft this year, who had good to moderate success in college last year. Here´s a few:

Devin Moore, Wyoming

Cedrick Dorsey, SMU

Tyrell Fenroy, Louisianna-Lafayette

LaRod Stephens-Howling, Pittsburgh

Antone Smith, Florida State

The list is by no means complete, just a few I found searching the internet. Now if you had your sights on getting a scat back, how does Darren Sproles with his four years of NFL experience compare?
    mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Here´s the epitome of the definition scat back:
    Barry Sanders, retired, hof, Detroit Lions

And a pic of Darren Sproles, 4 years experience NFL, San Diego Chargers

Comment

I actually don't want him... ya he is a scat back but threw out the playoff I have not seen him run anybody over and that's the type of running back this system needs a fast guy that can knock people on its butt

Comment

I'm thinking that if McDaniels wanted a scatback, he wouldn't have cut Alridge before he even got to training camp.

Comment

i remember when quentin griffin was gonna be the next big thing...he never played again after leaving the broncos

Comment

I would classify Barry sander as a scat back. Yeah he was small but the guy was also a power runner, and he wasnt fast. He was quick into and through the holes and ellusive as hell. But he was the epitomy of an every down back. If he could just catch the ball he would probably the best of all time.... But I still think that payton still has that honor
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

We need just a RB period before we go looking for a scat back
              Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

Comment

We just cut our scat back, he seems like he had some promise too so why would we go out and get another one? I say lets just go for power, Hillis, james davis and torain....or Hillis, Lamont jordan and torain.....or well you know what im getting at.
                Humm....

Comment

sproles isnt a prototypical scat back though and ive always felt this way ever since watching him play in college. Please dont compare him to quentin griffin, while sproles is a charger (only knock against him) he gets it done where most scat back dont. I would say he's a better version of warrick dunn if anything
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by coloradomedic View Post
                    I'm thinking that if McDaniels wanted a scatback, he wouldn't have cut Alridge before he even got to training camp.
                    just because he was cut doesnt mean he wont be back.....
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                      just because he was cut doesnt mean he wont be back.....
                      Yeah he wont be back because he signed a 3 year deal with the Redskins so unless if they release him then he wont be back

Comment

Thanks for mentioning running back Qentin Griffin from Oklahoma University. I missed a few years following football, I had actually never heard of him. He looks awesome. Very exciting.
                        Check his highlightvideo from Oklahoma:
                        http://sooners.fandome.com/video/767...in-Highlights/

Great composure.

I read his wikipedia, and he succeeded in NFL Europe after the Kansas City Chiefs cut him. They play rough football.
                        Then he went to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, where he was canned by the coach, because he felt too valuable to get beat up in a preseason game.
                        That´s a miniscule infraction. I bet he still has football prowess left in him. And seeing as he was released by the Denver Broncos, because they had the awesome Mike Anderson and Ron Dayne, and probably too athletically high class to sit the bench, maybe the Denver Broncos could consider giving him another go around? Having discovered him, if I was a club manager, I would pick him up in an instance, probably affordable, too.

Here is the perfect complement to him:
                        fullback Nate Ilaoa, University of Hawaii
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMq0FLpb9I

He displays the same glue to your seat volatility and excitement!

Here´s his story. Set team record 1827 allpurpose yards for the University of Hawaii in his sixth year of eligibility 2006, that was the year they led the NCAA in yardage. Then the Philadelphia Eagles picked him up way late at pick #236 in round 7 in the 2007 NFL draft.
                        They sign him to a four year contract, and then cut him.
                        He ends up with the Columbus Destroyers.

The AFL has suspended the 2009 season, pending decisions to improve it´s economic model.
                        So that´s not an option for either Qentin Griffin or Nate Ilaoa. Maybe they can get together and try as walkons? Anyone?
                        They´d be like bowling ball and cannon ball or something.

Comment

Working...
                        X