~2009 Mock Offseason~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~2009 Mock Offseason~

Well, I've almost exclusively posted in the Smack section since joining this MB, but the mocks look like too much fun to pass on. I believe this is a practical offseason that would put the Broncos into playoff contention next year, but let me know what you think! (Be nice, it's my first one! )

Free Agency

Mike Brown (FS):
    Although Brown has been very injury prone, he is a great safety. As he was cut by the Bears and hasn't drawn any immediate attention, I believe he can be picked up relatively cheap (hopefully he doesn't turn out like Boss did). He's a leader on defense, which is something the Broncos seriously lacked last season after Champ was injured. Brown is great in stopping the run and rarely misses a tackle. Broncos defensive players take note.

Dawan Landry (SS - Baltimore - RFA):
    Landry was injured last season, and appears to have been replaced. Two years ago, Landry was considered one of the top young players at his position. He would be an impact player on defense and [with Brown] would effectively shut down the opponents rushing game. He has also proven himself to be plenty capable in coverage, although he has shared the field with Reed for his entire career, which may have taken a lot of pressure off of him. He is still young, and it has yet to be seen if he can ascend to the elite level of other DBs, but he is a solid starter. Although he is a restricted free agent, Baltimore will have a tough time keeping him this offseason with Scott, Suggs, Lewis and Leonard all entering free agency. The Ravens simply won't have the money to match any offer by the Broncos. I haven't seen Landry mentioned in any other mocks, which is surprising. Considering the situation in Baltimore, it is safe to say Landry will not be a Raven next season.

Channing Crowder (MLB - Miami):
    From what I've seen of Crowder, he is a solid starter, but will never be an elite player. He is able to play in coverage and against the run, but is only successful when the players around him do their job. He is a veteran and, like Brown, can add some leadership to the defense.

***Derrick Ward (HB - New York)
    The Broncos need a real running back threat and this draft is not the year to find it. There is not a single natural halfback that I would start for all 16 games on the Broncos' roster currently and I foresee many of them being cut. Ward is a threat with his speed and he is also strong enough to pound the ball up the middle. Bowlen has made it clear that he wants to Broncos to return to a run-first team, which should also benefit Cutler. Providing Ward doesn't command too much money in the free agent market, he is a perfect fit for the ZBS in Denver with his mix of speed and power.

Draft:

Round 1 (12):
    Rey Maualuga (MLB - USC)

Round 2 (48):
    Ron Brace (DT - Boston College)

Round 3 (79):
    Rashad Johnson (FS - Alabama)

Round 4 (110):
    James Davis (HB - Clemson)

I see players such as Dumervil and Bly being traded for picks, but I will refrain from using these picks in the mock draft. I chose only to include the first four rounds because anything after that is pure speculation. There are too many directions for a team to go in the later rounds, depending on what is left on the draft board.

Notable Roster Moves:

Players To Be Let Go:
    1. Marlon McCree
    2. Marquand Manuel
    3. Selvin Young
    4. Andre Hall
    5. Tatum Bell
    6. Cory Boyd
    7. Dewayne Robertson
    8. Niko Koutouvides
    9. Nate Webster
    10. Boss Bailey

2009 Denver Broncos Depth Chart:

Broncos Offense
    LT R. Clady, T. Polumbus
    LG B. Hamilton, K. Lichtensteiger
    C C. Wiegmann, K. Lichtensteiger
    RG C. Kuper, K. Lichtensteiger
    RT R. Harris, T. Polumbus
    TE D. Graham, T. Scheffler
    WR1 B. Marshall, D. Jackson
    WR2 E. Royal, B. Stokley, C. Jackson
    QB J. Cutler, D. Hackney
    RB D. Ward, J. Davis, R. Torain
    FB P. Hillis, A. Pinnock

Broncos Defense
    LE T. Crowder, E. Ekuban
    NT R. Brace, C. Powell, K. Peterson
    RE ***E. Dumervil, J. Engelberger
    ROLB D.J. Williams, W. Woodyard
    RILB R. Maualuga, S. Larsen
    LILB C. Crowder, S. Larsen
    LOLB J. Moss, J. Winborn
    LCB C. Bailey, J. Williams, J. Bell
    RCB D. Bly, K. Paymah
    SS D. Landry, J. Barrett, H. Jones
    FS M. Brown, R. Johnson, V. Fox

With this current starting lineup, the defensive line is still a little weak, so another FA may need to be added or a player may need to be acquired via a trade. I honestly don't see Dumervil playing in a 3-4, so he may be moved for a natural 3-4 DE. With this defensive lineup, the Broncos would have a top-20, if not higher, defense. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Northern Bronco; 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM.

A few problems I have with this.

1 - We will end up with 2 very injury prone safetys.

2 - DJ cannot blitz from the outside which means he is an inside LB in a 3-4.

3 - With DJ and Larsen inside there is no need for a round 1 pick on an ILB, we need an OLB who can pass rush.

4 - There is NO WAY that Dumerville will EVER be a DL in a 3-4, that is laughable. He MAY be a decent OLB but time will tell.......maybe

Anyway, a decent job overall

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post

3 - With DJ and Larsen inside there is no need for a round 1 pick on an ILB, we need an OLB who can pass rush.

4 - There is NO WAY that Dumerville will EVER be a DL in a 3-4, that is laughable. He MAY be a decent OLB but time will tell.......maybe

What he said, plus:

Dawan Landry will most likely get a 2nd round tender (safeties do not cost that much).

Our OLB would be the worst in the history of the 3-4.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
      J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
      R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post

Landry is hardly an injury prone player, and both safeties have startable backups.

I think DJ has the speed to blitz from the outside and I think he would be more successful if he wasn't dropping into pass coverage as frequently. He is a beast at stopping the run.

I'm not sure the best way to fix the Broncos' defensive line though... Powell is a potential starter at NT, but the Broncos don't have a real DE for the 3-4. Crowder may be able to play in a 3-4 though. I put asterisks beside Dumervil because I think he will be traded, but it's too difficult to speculate on trades in a mock.

Comment

i like most of your mock except i dont like DJ on the outside because he isnt a good pass rusher, i say move him inside, and in that case i say that we draft someone other than Moualuga if we can get crowder

i would also like to see us go after Julious Peppers
          "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Doug Kinney

"Matt Stafford will be a bust"
          July 18 2009

Comment

also Elvis is WAY to small to play a 3-4 DE
            "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Doug Kinney

"Matt Stafford will be a bust"
            July 18 2009

Comment

I think Marcus Thomas is a darkhorse on the DL. He could be a beast as a 3-4 DE. I also think we should sign Chris Canty as the other 3-4 End. Dj at ILB and Maulauga as a 1st round pick (if available) would be nice. DJ may be a Rizzo type ILB, quietly doing the job and when needed, make the big play. Larsen, though would be my pick over DJ at ILB. Woodyard would also be a good ILB in the Rizzo mold.

MAYBE trade down in the 1st and get Matthews as an OLB? We may have our ILB's already in DJ, Larsen and Woodyard?

Ah, the possibilities.

Oh, and a thought. Maybe bring in Joe Collier to help as a consultant. After all, Belichick learned the 3-4 from him, and he is the Guru of the 3-4 Defense. It sure would not hurt us one bit to see if he'll add his magic touch.
              "Those are my principals... if you don't like them, well, I have others" - Groucho Marx

"Having a Hell of a time my dear, wish you were here" - Alice Cooper

Comment

Working...
              X