No announcement yet.

Why NO Love For Malcom Jenkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't take a natural corner and move to him safety, that makes no sense at all. Corners play corner because they have acceleration, hip swivel, closing speed, and ball skills.

Safeties are safeties because they are generally slower, tackle better and don't have the coverage skills, which is why they get paid significantly less than corners.

And a 4.45 isn't going to affect his draft position. Nnamdi Asomugha ran a 4.45, Aqib Talib ran around a 4.5..........

Jenkins is the first corner off the board somewhere in the teens I say.

Comment

Isn't this dude a CB?

If so, that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by neume1mb View Post
        You don't take a natural corner and move to him safety, that makes no sense at all. Corners play corner because they have acceleration, hip swivel, closing speed, and ball skills.

Safeties are safeties because they are generally slower, tackle better and don't have the coverage skills, which is why they get paid significantly less than corners.

And a 4.45 isn't going to affect his draft position. Nnamdi Asomugha ran a 4.45, Aqib Talib ran around a 4.5..........

Jenkins is the first corner off the board somewhere in the teens I say.

The argument is that he's not a natural corner. Mike Mayock has been going on about this at length lately. I'm listening and intrigued. Mayock is the one saying he might be moved to Safety in the NFL just like Antrel Rolle.

What I am saying is that if he runs in the 4.5s, which is what Mayock seems to think might make teams view the switch, that we should consider him as a Free Safety if he's available at #12. He would probably be the best available player at that point regardless.

Comment

bump****

I think he would be a great safety. Good speed for a safety and excellent ball skills.

BTW check the first 2 response I made in the thread on the 16th.

Comment

Jenkins confirmed their observations by running the 40-yard dash in the range of 4.52 and 4.58 seconds during the NFL Scouting Combine.
            Yeah he ran slower than some people thought. He would make a great safety, something we desperately need, but we can't use a 1st round pick on him should he fall to 12.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
              The argument is that he's not a natural corner. Mike Mayock has been going on about this at length lately. I'm listening and intrigued. Mayock is the one saying he might be moved to Safety in the NFL just like Antrel Rolle.

What I am saying is that if he runs in the 4.5s, which is what Mayock seems to think might make teams view the switch, that we should consider him as a Free Safety if he's available at #12. He would probably be the best available player at that point regardless.
              Thank you, I was waiting for someone to give the perfect comparison of Antrel Rolle. He will start off at CB, make some great plays, but struggle most the time. His second or third year, make him FS, and he will be a stud. If Orakapo, Brown, (shouldnt even put Raji on this list, no way in hell he is there at 12), I say we take him.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

As a Buckeyes fan I've loved Jenkins forever, but he is not what we need.

We must adress the front 7 first and foremost. If Raji, Orakpo, Brown, and Curry are all gone by 12, I say we desperately try and trade back into the low teens or early 20's. If we cannot find a trade partner then I would not be totally upset if we take Jenkins,

But, we should have learned by now that it is all about the pass rush, not the corners!

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                  Great Point...

Denver should take the best player available that fits a need, whether it be tailback, safety, linebacker, defensive end or nose tackle. We have enough needs without adding one more to the list.

Yes thoose are all big needs but how can you not say we don't have a need at cornerback. We only have one cornerback that is any good on the team and he is on the downside of his career. Bell, Paymah and Jack Williams all pretty much look terrible, and once Champ is gone what the hell are we going to do? Cornerback might be the teams biggest need, and if it is not addressed in free agency we must do something about it early in the draft.
                  "you come at the king you best not miss"

Omar Little

Comment

Originally posted by ROBTHEMC123 View Post
                    Cornerback might be the teams biggest need, and if it is not addressed in free agency we must do something about it early in the draft.
                    We've had one of the better CB units and far above average the last few years and our defense has been putrid. I think it's quite evident that the last 3 years have clearly shown how irrelevant the CB position is when you don't have a front 7.

We don't have a front 7.

Comment

Well, first off, after his combine, Jenkins is probably going to be moved to safety now in the NFL.

If he is physical enough to handle the move, he could project to Denver at #12 assuming he can immediately be plugged in as the starting free safety.
                      You would assume his ball skills would make him a good fit, and he would give the defense nice flexibility with coverages because at times he could be essentially a nickle corner.

Overall, if Jenkins were to fall to Denver, and we selected him as the starting free safety, I could live with it, provided he proves he is a good tackler and can play a physical game.

Yuckeye fans will have to clue us in as to if that is the case...

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                        Great Point...

Denver should take the best player available that fits a need, whether it be tailback, safety, linebacker, defensive end or nose tackle. We have enough needs without adding one more to the list.
                        It's nice to see that someone has common sense logic.......If the Broncos do target CB's through free agency, then MJ may not be the likely choice even though is a talented player. Problem on these boards is that there is too many people with I WANT or MY CHOICE, the Broncos need to select the BPA to improve the team.

Comment

I would like him at corner if we played cover 2, but I think he would project better as a FS for the Broncos. However I think he has more value with a Tampa 2 team like the bucs or the bears. He's a big, physical corner with good ball skills, and isn't going to have to cover a lot of guys deep in the cover 2 scheme, which is to his advantage because he isn't very fast for a corner. As somebody said above if we take him with the intention of him being our starting FS, then I wouldn't mind it (wouldn't be thrilled), but I would question if we took him and asked him to play CB..

Comment

Slow CB's get burnt and only get slower
                            Dumervil's Biggest Fan

Comment

He's a fine player,but I would rather see other issues addressed. His combine stats are nothing to salivate over. The big ten in general,sucks as a passing conference. I'd rather see the dline or lb position upgraded.

Comment

I think he's good but i feel we must use our #1 pick on front 7. Unless there's no other viable option but Jenkins then i guess we take him. I almost would rather have a RB...almost. If we can get a DL or LB at 12 maybe we can Alphonso Smith in the 2nd. He may be there and has way better ball skills than Jenkins.

Comment

Working...
                                X