Pre-combine mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-combine mock

OK, as the combine's almost here, I figured I better get this out. Here's my thught process right now before I actually show the FA and draft: We need two safeties, one(maybe two) OLB, a NT, a DE, and a RB. So we're pretty much overhauling the defense and trying to complete the offense. I'm inclined to think we'll address at least two things in FA with quality signings. Also, there's a big debate about Hillis being our RB or FB, I think we'll draft someone for sure and possibly a FA to compete. So here goes:

FA: James Sanders, SS Our replacement for Manuel, LOL
    Mike Wright, DE or Chris Canty, DE If Canty is available get him, if not, Wright

Guys I think we'll be interested in and sign if the price is right:
    Julius Peppers, DE/OLB Wants to play in a 3-4 and can rush the passer
    Sean Jones, FS Great pick-up, I think we could get him
    Fred Taylor, RB Has had injury issues, but did fine last year and if he comes cheap he'd be good to have
    Kelly Gregg, NT in trade, we give a 3rd or 4th for him. This one might be the least likely, but I think the Ravens would be tempted.

Draft: As this is pre-combine, I have us trading down right now. The Chargers, Jets, Eagles, and Patriots seem to be the most likely right now, and especially the Jets and Patriots. We get a 1st and a 3rd.

1.) Larry English, OLB Nothing changed here, he's one of my favorite players coming out and I'm sure he'll be here.

2.) Donald Brown, RB Originally I put William Moore here but I got to the 3rd round and decided to put Brown here instead of Moore because of the safeties that should be available. Brown is a hard worker(actually a work-out freak) and has good potential. Alternates: Clay Matthews, OLB Matthews would be possible if we don't get Peppers.

3.) Sherrod Martin or Michael Hamlin, FS This is where it's different from my last mock. Both have good instincts and cover the center-field. If we don't get Gregg in FA then we should get Dorell Scott here instead.

4.) Worrell Williams, ILB I believe he's projected to go 4-5 right now, so this is on the early side of his projection. but he's got the build and would be solid depth. Alternate: Any ILB, McKillop and Holtzclaw come to mind

5a.) Jasper Brinkley, ILB The back-up for the other ILB spot, he also has the build but did have injury problems so he should be available. BTW, our starters are DJ Williams and Spencer Larsen. No alternate

5b.) Patrick Turner, WR Might be moved to TE, but I like him as a big slot receiver to create mismatches(a thing of mine). Alternate: Mike Thomas, WR Great route-runner with excellent hands.

6a.) Sammie Lee Hill, NT A developmental guy that would be good value, he might go in the 5th though.

6b.) Jeremy Navarre, DE A run-stopper and depth

7.) Anybody, but preferably an OL

About half of the draft is the same, but it is different. This draft changes based on the players that we'd be interested in but only sign if the price is right. Right now this is pretty much if we got everybody, but whether we get Fred Taylor or not wouldn't really change anything in the draft. So if you don't want him just cross him off the list and leave the draft the same.

PS If you're interested in what it would look like under different scenarios you can ask and I'll try to come up with something
    Last edited by Bowie Man; 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM.
    sigpic
    Made by Houshmazode

If Raji is gone don't be surprised if you trade down for a player like Brace. English is a good pass rusher but the 34 starts at the NT.

Comment

Originally posted by DoJo Chargerfan View Post
      If Raji is gone don't be surprised if you trade down for a player like Brace. English is a good pass rusher but the 34 starts at the NT.
      ????????? According to the mock, we get Kelly Gregg or Dorell Scott. I like Brace, but I don't think we get him unless his stock shoots up.:go:
      sigpic
      Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie Man View Post
        ????????? According to the mock, we get Kelly Gregg or Dorell Scott. I like Brace, but I don't think we get him unless his stock shoots up.:go:
        Brace will be a late first round pick at this point Bowie, he is the truest nose tackle in the draft, and that has risen his stock up quite a bit. He will go in the twenty-something range.

Scott is not a true 3-4 nose, but he is capable to be a nose in a 4-3, he is worth looking at, not sure he can transition to the position. If we were sticking to the 4-3 I would love to see Denver draft him. Kelly Gregg would be a good plug in nose, but I think Denver will sign Fields, he knows Nolan's system. Do not be surprised if Denver trades down in the 20th range and takes Brace.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
          Brace will be a late first round pick at this point Bowie, he is the truest nose tackle in the draft, and that has risen his stock up quite a bit. He will go in the twenty-something range.

Scott is not a true 3-4 nose, but he is capable to be a nose in a 4-3, he is worth looking at, not sure he can transition to the position. If we were sticking to the 4-3 I would love to see Denver draft him. Kelly Gregg would be a good plug in nose, but I think Denver will sign Fields, he knows Nolan's system. Do not be surprised if Denver trades down in the 20th range and takes Brace.
          I know about Brace and all that, but as of pre-combine, I don't think we'll trade down and pick him. Although I may do a post-combine mock doing that, LOL. As for Scott, I do think he can be a 3-4 nose, but I'd rather not find out right away. Hopefully we can get a guy for this year and get either Mt Cody or Boo Robinson next year.
          sigpic
          Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Working...
          X