Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit having a high pick next year?!! Flawed Logic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit having a high pick next year?!! Flawed Logic!

One thing I don't understand and I even hear it from so called 'experts'.

'Detroit can get the best OT and pick a top QB next year in a much better draft class'

The new Detroit HC (Schwartz) is not going to be thinking about a top 5 pick next year. He may not be thinking SB, although most coaches do every year, but he will want them to get up to .500 at least.

He won't sit there in the draft room and think 'we'll we are bound to pick top 5 next year so I will leave the QB position until then'

Detroit has a chance at Stafford and if they get ANYONE else then they must be mad.

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    One thing I don't understand and I even hear it from so called 'experts'.

'Detroit can get the best OT and pick a top QB next year in a much better draft class'

The new Detroit HC (Schwartz) is not going to be thinking about a top 5 pick next year. He may not be thinking SB, although most coaches do every year, but he will want them to get up to .500 at least.

He won't sit there in the draft room and think 'we'll we are bound to pick top 5 next year so I will leave the QB position until then'

Detroit has a chance at Stafford and if they get ANYONE else then they must be mad.
    I agree, they may not take Stafford and if they don't, it isn't because they are thinking about next year. It would be because the plan on Stanton for the future. However, if he was good enough, they would have started him last year instead of Culpepper. Lions take Stafford.

I have seen the same flawed logic when people write about getting a NT for the Broncos...wiat til next year, they are much better!!! What if we aren't in position to get the top one, or they get injured or really show that can't play NT....a lot of what ifs. You can't base the future of a team 2 drafts away.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

But if they are in the top five next season (likely).. its still a better QB draft with Bradford, McCoy, and another that pops up.

Comment

Personally I don't think you can count on being top 5 the next year.... but at the same time: I don't think the Lions HAVE to go qb at 1....
        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

What's not to like about Stafford? You should take the franchise QB before anything else if you have the chance.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
            What's not to like about Stafford? You should take the franchise QB before anything else if you have the chance.......
            I totally agree. I hope they take stafford so they don't leave him to fall to the Chiefs.

Comment

His accuracy and his decision-making.

Comment

Whats the golden rule...........

'Unless you have a franchise QB....TAKE ONE!!!! lol'

ppl said this about Atlanta last year, the OL was bad, the D was ageing, etc............but they still got Ryan and i'm sure they don't regret it.

I admit we are talking about Detroit but alot can happen in a year.

Comment

btw - Remember when the Lions started 6-2 (remember when we played them!!), no-one expected that.

They did bomb to 8-8 but they have got some players to work with and it would not shock me if they did'nt pick top 5 next year.

Comment

If I were Detroit, I would go OT with their 1st pick and trade for Derek Anderson. What are the Brown's asking? 2nd or 3rd round pick? This is the only way I could see them not drafting top 5 in next year's draft.

I don't see Stafford or Sanchez as a franchise QB. Just my opinion.
                    sigpicThanks to Freyaka for the sick Sig pic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Clady View Post
                      His accuracy and his decision-making.
                      Actually, I wasn't really looking for a regurgitated scouting report, I've seen him play many times, I was wondering why the Lions wouldn't take Stafford at No1, they need to finally find a franchise QB and Stafford has that ability.

With a tackle class as deep as this one, they could conceivably find their QB and LT with the 1st and 20th picks.

I sincerely doubt the Lions talked Jim Schwartz into coaching the worst team ever by dangling John Kitna and Drew Stanton, unless the pick is Aaron Curry, I think the wise move is Matthew Stafford.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        I totally agree. I hope they take stafford so they don't leave him to fall to the Chiefs.
                        Yeah, let the Chefs end up with Mark Sanchez.......

Comment

Regarding D. Anderson - Is he really the answer. I would'nt pay up a 2nd or 3rd for someone who got benched by a poor team.

I don't get why the Chiefs don't just go with Thigpen. He showed alot last year and is very young.

Comment

Actually, I wasn't really looking for a regurgitated scouting report, I've seen him play many times, I was wondering why the Lions wouldn't take Stafford at No1, they need to finally find a franchise QB and Stafford has that ability.

With a tackle class as deep as this one, they could conceivably find their QB and LT with the 1st and 20th picks.

I sincerely doubt the Lions talked Jim Schwartz into coaching the worst team ever by dangling John Kitna and Drew Stanton, unless the pick is Aaron Curry, I think the wise move is Matthew Stafford.......

i belive it is curry. even with jay cutler we only manged 8 wins because of our defense. Detroit has just as horrible a defense....stafford would get eaten alive....not because he isnt good, but because he would be forced to overcome the defenses shortcomings. he isnt a elite prospect that could actually handle the pressure of constantly trying to bring your team from behind....

the safest pick in the draft for them is curry, regardless of the money. they need that safety net on defense. give stanton and culppeper a defense and they will win a few.

give stafford the reigns with no defense and they will be just as sorry next year.

they will pick raji or curry before they take a QB.....

I also dont get the whole OL thing....they have huge amounts of money tied up in backus, who the new coached endorsed already.....why would you pay pick 1 money to a RT???? i could see them going tackle at pick 20, but not at pick 1. Eben briton and william beaty are still very good tackles that will be avilable at 20 and will be more cost effective than eugene monroe or jason smith, especially since they already have huge amounts of cash tied up in jeff backus....

Comment

Of course Detroit doesn't want a top 5 pick next year, but let's be realistic - they were freaking 0-16!!!! You can't just turn that around in one offseason. More likely than not they will be picking high next year.

Ideally Detroit will try and trade out of the no. 1 pick...but of course no one will want to trade up for it. Personally I think they should see what they've got in Drew Stanton, and take either Curry or a top LT. If Stanton bombs, then they can go with a QB next year.
                              sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Working...
                              X