Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Draft start time pushed back(round 2 Moved to Sunday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

WHY????

I could care less how long it takes, give me at least 2 rounds on Sat.

Heres how to make it go faster, make the first team turn in there pick immediately, theyve been on the clock for months and should know. Also, when a pick is made, HOW BOUT SPRINTING UP TO THE PODIUM???!?!?! Sheesh, these people lolly gag up there.

That would save about 90 minutes...
    A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline View Post
      That kinda sucks....

Now I have to do something productive until 4pm..
      I know I'll be getting good and tanked that way I can "handle" who Denver picks at 12!

Comment

I asked Florio yesterday, and here's the entire scoop...

---

DRAFT NUDGES CLOSER TO PRIME TIME
        Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 9:20 a.m. EDT

Last year, the league tinkered with the centerpiece of the offseason experience — the draft.

Moving it from a 12:00 p.m. EDT start to 3:00 p.m. EDT and reducing the time that teams have to make up their minds in the first round from fifteen minutes to ten (and in round two from ten minutes to seven), the goal was to expand the television audience and generally to make the thing more television-friendly.

This year, the draft will start another hour later, at 4:00 p.m. EDT. (A reader noticed this somewhere, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed it for us.)

The draft will continue to involve two rounds on Saturday and the other five on Sunday.

We continue to believe that the league should move the first half of round one to Friday night, finish round one and conduct rounds two and three on Saturday, and then wrap it up on Sunday. (And we’ll let you know if/when anyone with any real juice ever gives a damn about what we believe.)
        sigpic

Comment

That is good news...2 rounds on Saturday.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

I always liked the old way with 1-3 on Saturday at 12PM and 4-7 on Sunday. By the time the draft started I was wide awake with my pizza and beer and ready to go. Now I have to wait a MUCH longer for the draft to start.
            President Cool

Comment

Originally posted by trenchwar08 View Post
              I'm with you guys.

There's something about human nature that always thinks it can improve on something, anything. In my experience, most "improvements" make things worse. Then we all have to adapt to a situation of reduced quality.

The Draft was pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Overall, it's more fun and more exciting than the Super Bowl, if, for no other reason, the fans of all 32 teams are involved, and everybody is giddy with optiomism.

Only tweak I'd even think about making would be shortening the clock time a little in the first round. 15 minutes is excruciating. (I believe that may have been addressed.)

Moving the start time back even further is heck on us in the Western time zones. And I hope any thoughts to moving any rounds from day 1 to day 2 go down in flames.
              You're right. They did reduce the time between picks from 15 to 10 minutes or something to make the first round go faster. It was really starting to drag, with endless commercials between picks. And then, just when something interesting happens, they CUT to commercial and when you come back the bastards have MISSED Denver's pick!

They announce "oh, and Denver took player X" and then they're blathering with some idiot interview with a player who says how pleased he is to finally be a St. Louis Ram or something equally banal.

I end up screaming at the TV a lot on draft day! Mel Kiper thoroughly needs a sound beating!
              sigpic

Comment

Hell, let's make it truly exciting. Let's make it 13 rounds like back in the day, and each pick, regardless of round, is 3 minutes. Remember the madness when the Vikings missed their pick a few years back? The entire draft would be like that.
                Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post
                  I asked Florio yesterday, and here's the entire scoop...

---

DRAFT NUDGES CLOSER TO PRIME TIME
                  Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 9:20 a.m. EDT

Last year, the league tinkered with the centerpiece of the offseason experience — the draft.

Moving it from a 12:00 p.m. EDT start to 3:00 p.m. EDT and reducing the time that teams have to make up their minds in the first round from fifteen minutes to ten (and in round two from ten minutes to seven), the goal was to expand the television audience and generally to make the thing more television-friendly.

This year, the draft will start another hour later, at 4:00 p.m. EDT. (A reader noticed this somewhere, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed it for us.)

The draft will continue to involve two rounds on Saturday and the other five on Sunday.

We continue to believe that the league should move the first half of round one to Friday night, finish round one and conduct rounds two and three on Saturday, and then wrap it up on Sunday. (And we’ll let you know if/when anyone with any real juice ever gives a damn about what we believe.)
                  Screw that noise, I work 2nd shift and would miss the first half of round 1, which automatically means I would mis the Raiders and Chiefs pick every year!

Comment

Working...
                  X