Maybe it's his poor senior bowl

Maybe its the 2 bench reps less than his kicker

Maybe its the 4.8 40 time

Maybe its the refusal to do the position drills

Maybe it's him pulling his hammy after running 39 yards in a straight line

Maybe it's his constant overpursuing

Maybe its how he plays like a slower Nate Webster

Maybe I'm completely wrong?
    Time will tell, but all I see is a bust waiting to happen.
    The proof is right there. Why take Maualuga at 12 when guys like Jasper Brinkley, Worrell Williams, Antonio Appleby, Josh Mauga, and Scott McKillop are in a very similiar mold and can bee had anywhere from rounds 4-7. Taking Maualuga at 12 would be a waste.

Basically I think that our big board should be
    1. LB Aaron Curry
    2. OLB Brian Orakpo
    3. NT B.J. Raji
    4. OLB Everett Brown
    5. WR Michael Crabtree
    6. DE Tyson Jackson
    7. CB Vontae Davis
    8. LB Brian Cushing

One of these players will be there at 12 and if not we need to do what we can to trade out becuase the value would just not be there. I am also a fan of trading up to get either Orakpo or Raji, these are the 2 players from this list that will make an immediate impact on our D!

I would give anything for either Orakpo or Raji at 12, if these guys are gone, I wouldn't mind Tyson Jackson!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
      The proof is right there. Why take Maualuga at 12 when guys like Jasper Brinkley, Worrell Williams, Antonio Appleby, Josh Mauga, and Scott McKillop are in a very similiar mold and can bee had anywhere from rounds 4-7. Taking Maualuga at 12 would be a waste.

Basically I think that our big board should be
      1. LB Aaron Curry
      2. OLB Brian Orakpo
      3. NT B.J. Raji
      4. OLB Everett Brown
      5. WR Michael Crabtree
      6. DE Tyson Jackson
      7. CB Vontae Davis
      8. LB Brian Cushing

One of these players will be there at 12 and if not we need to do what we can to trade out becuase the value would just not be there. I am also a fan of trading up to get either Orakpo or Raji, these are the 2 players from this list that will make an immediate impact on our D!

I would give anything for either Orakpo or Raji at 12, if these guys are gone, I wouldn't mind Tyson Jackson!
      Way to use our own logic against your self. When you can only get a good inside linebacker in the first round, then you have to go for him. Laurinitis, Maualuga and Curry are the only first round value ILB's in the draft. All the others are the ones you just mentioned will go in the 3-4 rounds, and not because their stock has dropped, but b/c they are unfortunately not good enough to go in the first round. That doesnt mean that we can get them in the 3-4 rounds and get the same value as the ILB in the first round that I mentioned. It obviously means that you can only get good value at ILB in the first round. Theres a reason why someone is first round value. Its not like you can just get the same value in every round.
      Last edited by JDDJDD123; 03-08-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDDJDD123 View Post
        Way to use our own logic against your self. When you can only get a good inside linebacker in the first round, then you have to go for him. Laurinitis, Maualuga and Curry are the only first round value ILB's in the draft. All the others are the ones you just mentioned will go in the 3-4 rounds, and not because their stock has dropped, but b/c they are unfortunately not good enough to go in the first round. That doesnt mean that we can get them in the 3-4 rounds and get the same value as the ILB in the first round that I mentioned. It obviously means that you can only get good value at ILB in the first round. Theres a reason why someone is first round value. Its not like you can just get the same value in every round.
        maybe im just really tired, but you just made it sound like every player in the nfl who was not drafted in the first round is trash.
        Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
        vs.
        Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
        Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
        First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Originally posted by CRAZYTRAINTK View Post
          You are insane my friend.....Maualuga is every bit a top 15 pick....if he drops lower it would be a crime. He had a bad hamstring before he ever went to the combine, he knew it and still tried to gut it out. Have you ever watched any of this guys games? I for one have watched every one of them and he never was a bust on the field, isn't that what matter's most? I agree that we go after the best defensive player available because we need to get younger on Defense. I like to look at a player's body of work for his whole college career when grading them and not just the combine and senior bowl and Maualuga is a monster and will be a great N.F.L linebacker....mark my words on this.....I remember the broncos passing on Urlacher....Don't make that mistake again.....
          Rey isnt my first choice but I would not at all be dissappointed if he was our choice.

However would you show me again where we passed on Urlacher?

2000 NFL Draft
          By: Douglas E. Love
          Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3

1. CLEVELAND DE Penn State Courtney Brown 6-5 / 270
          --Best player in the draft! Similar to last year, Cleveland wanted the contract signed, sealed, and delivered prior to making the announcement. It's been reported Courtney Brown, the nation's première pass rusher, has signed a 6 year contract worth an approximate $50 million. Brown is a dominating force coming off the end. Not only does he bring impeccable character, but his leadership-by-example will be a huge benifit to this team as it begins to come into its own within the next few years. Excellent player, excellent selection.

2. WASHINGTON(via New Orleans) OLB Penn State LaVar Arrington* 6-3 / 250
          --Washington is estatic to land the player they have coveted all year. Arrington will be able to shine immediately. He'll have Bruce Smith in front of him and Champ Bailey playing behind him... plus other talented players surrounding him. Earlier today, Beano Cook said he had never, in his 50 years of experience, seen a linebacker as good as Arrington -- That's an endorsement beyond compare!

3. WASHINGTON(via San Francisco) LT Alabama Chris Samuels 6-5 / 325
          --This kid was first round material last year. By going back to school and working hard to improve his game, Samuels now finds himself being the third overall pick in the 2000 draft. Samuels is a natural left tackle, who will come in and start immediately. Brad Johnson has to be a very happy quarterback.

4. CINCINNATI WR Florida State Peter Warrick 5-11 / 195
          --Cincinnati didn't even give themselves a chance to entertain any trade offers. Warrick, as was expected, will be the new target for quarterback Akili Smith. Warrick is a dynamic playmaker who will make an immediate impact in this league. The key for Coslett will be to keep him a way from the negative attitudes of Carl Pickens and Corey Dillon.

5. BALTIMORE(via Atlanta) RB Tennesse Jamal Lewis* 6-0 / 240
          --"Pound for pound, inch for inch, Lewis gets the late, last second, nod as best all around back." There is no question Baltimore was in desperate need of a top notch back. Lewis has the explosion needed to make it through the hole: He's got the size to lower his shoulder and run over the safety. Obviously, there's no lingering questions about Lewis' health. This back out of Tennessee carries a lot of potential with him.

6. PHILADELPHIA NT Florida State Corey Simon 6-2 / 297
          --This pick didn't come as a big surprise, although Travis Taylor was a possibility, as was trading down. There were questions going into the draft regarding Simon's health. The Eagles, obviously, are satisfied with his status. Having said that, Simon brings a demension to the Eagle defense has been missing. An incredible athlete, recording a 41" verticle, who possess the rare ability to drop back into coverage. He should elevate the play of Douglas and Mamula.

7. ARIZONA RB Virginia Thomas Jones 5-10 / 216
          --Arizona's situation was evident. The loss of Centers, then Bates' troubles, followed by the loss of Murrell ... how could it point to anything else? Thomas Jones is another guy who has impeccable character, which is becoming more and more important in the NFL. Jones, from Big Stone Gap, VA., has been compared to Emmitt Smith which is nothing short of high expectations. The Cardinals love this back's ability to turn the corner and jam it up inside. He'll start the 2000 season.

8. PITTSBURGH WR Michigan St. Plaxico Burress* 6-6 / 231
          --Looks like a good choice. With Cowher sticking by his guns, keeping "Slash" at quarterback, Stewart needs targets. Burress has exceptional size. He can perform in big-time situations, as witnessed in the Citrus Bowl. Certainly, Pittsburgh must have received some trade offers ... but the big stallion from Michigan State was just too difficult to pass up.

9. CHICAGO OLB New Mexico Brian Urlacher 6-4 / 258
          --Chicago goes defense with New Mexico's Brian Urlacher. Urlacher, a terrific athlete, will give Chicago more versitility with their defensive schemes... as he can play at OLB ... or they can play him as a safety/rover, as the Lobos had. The Bears could have looked to trade down, and filled needs, but opted for the best available athlete instead.

10. BALTIMORE(via Denver) WR Florida Travis Taylor* 6-1 / 199
          --When Taylor was sitting on the board at ten, you had to know he was the pick. He has sure hands, runs precise routes, and is a definite upgrade to the Baltimore receiving corps. This is a good pick for a team that finished strong at the end of the season last year. The addition of Dilfer, Lewis, and Taylor ... gives Baltimore some offensive weapons.

11. NY GIANTS RB Wisconsin Ron Dayne 5-11 / 259
          --By drafting Heisman Trophy winner Ron Danye of Wisconsin, the Giants are saying two things: One, that they did a terrible job of drafting last year; and two, that they have the wherewithal to move on. By getting Dayne, Fassel will get a solid, ball control, player. Dayne has cold weather experience, can pound the football, and will help take the pressure off Collins.

12. NY JETS(via San Francisco/via Washington) DE Tennessee Shaun Ellis 6-5 / 280
          --The Jets need a defensive end that can come in and take a starting job. Darren Howard seems to have a better knack to get after the quarterback. Yet, Ellis is a better run stopper. This is a good need selection that becomes easier to discern with the understanding of the next pick.

13. NY JETS(via Tampa Bay/via San Diego) DE/OLB So. Carolina John Abraham 6-4 / 252
          --Abraham's selection in the top 15 is the first surprise pick of the draft. The Jets could have gone Franks, Pennington, or even grabbed an offensive tackle. The selection of Abraham is intended to compliment Ellis, who will be able to play the base end, while Abraham will line up with his hand down and chase the quarterback.

14 GREEN BAY TE Miami (Fla.) Daniel "Bubba" Franks* 6-6 / 265
          --With the troubles of Mark Chmura, and the luck to find Franks sitting here at 14, makes this pick very solid. With Favre throwing the ball, nobody will remember in September that Franks ran a "slow" forty. This kid as ProBowl potential written all over him. Franks is one of the most complete and talented TE's to come out of college in years. Good value for the pick.

15. DENVER(via Baltimore) CB California Deltha O'Neal 5-11 / 195
          --This is the second first round surprise. Nobody thought there was a DB worthy of a top 15 pick. Denver traded down and could either not work out a deal to trade down lower, or felt like somebody was targeting him. There's no question that O'Neal is an exceptionally talented return man. With the looming suspension of Dale Carter, O'Neal can start this year.

16. SAN FRANCISCO(via NY Jets/via New England) OLB Michigan St. Julian Peterson 6-3 / 232
          --The 49ers pass on Pennington and use their first pick on OLB Julian Peterson from Michigan State. San Francisco has a lot of needs and OLB is one of them. Peterson is the type of linebacker that can cause havoc off the edge. He also has decent coverage skills. It is surprising, since they passed on Pennington, that they did not trade down again.

17. OAKLAND PK Florida State Sebastian Janikowski* 6-2 / 255
          --Oakland is the only team to have the guts to make this move. For a team that has lost close game, after close game, Janikowski is the elixir this club needs. Al Davis once took a punter in the first round and his name was Ray Guy from So. Miss. Oakland must have thought long and hard, as they probably didn't expect to find Pennington on the board at 17, but Janikowski will win games, now.
          sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1dUZUMXxc

lets play a little game shall we?

here is a highlight video almost seven minutes long of rey maualuga. okay, so count how many times he was actually engaged by a blocker, i got 3. 2 were by a running back. 1 of those 2 he got beat. say no to maualuga
            The only middle linebacker I want in this draft is Jasper Brinkley.

I use to be really high on Rey, but both times I watched USC play this year I was more impressed with the physical play of Cushing. He's faster, stronger, and makes his assignment.

But back to MLB. IMO Brinkley is the best in the draft at that position.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              Maualuga would not be good value at all, he's graded as a late 1st rounder.
              Pick 20-25 is good value for Rey
              what in the world ..... show me a link anywere were it says Rey is a 20-25 pick Rey is a top 15 pick hands down
              Originally posted by housemouse View Post
              What the ****.

If you want Rey at 12 you have no logic. He overruns plays, can't shed blockers, and can't wrap up.

And second, good 3-4 ilbs can be had in later rounds. 3-4 olbs can't!
              we very possibly could get larry English in the 2nd or Clay Mathews if were lucky. You can get very good OLB quality in the Second round just ask Super Bowl champ Lamar Woodley i would be fine if we picked up Rey especially now that ppl are starting to doubt him he will come out with something to prove
              Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

In Rey's behalf he was only 2 reps under Curry(25) and did 1 rep more than Laurinites(22)...Brinkley destroyed his knee a year ago, and though he may show no effects thats a HuGe red flag and right now we need home runs not question marks...I originally had us taking Tyson Jackson in the first, Sintim in the second and then Chris Baker in the third...The more I read the more I am sold on getting the best DT in the draft...All experts say the key to a strong 3-4 is a beast in the middle...He is a beast...and if u look at the crop of DT's...well its pretty weak. So I say we do whatever it takes to get this guy and go from there...The draft is full of guys that can play DE in a 3-4 so Tyson Jackson is no longer my pick...Chris Baker has character issues and thats the last thing we need....Sammie Lee Hill could turn out to be a good pro but what if hes not...Raji has got to be our guy... then we take Jarron Gilbert or Fili Moala in the 2nd...u see what just happened?...D-line taken care of...Now we go 4 our LB and in the 3rd will be guys like our man Brinkley if we dare or maybe a Gerald McRath or how about Lawrence Sidbury....this is the route I would go but wouldnt be disappointed with Rey, Cushing, Jackson, or Maybin

Comment

Originally posted by noey_pro View Post
                  In Rey's behalf he was only 2 reps under Curry(25) and did 1 rep more than Laurinites(22)...Brinkley destroyed his knee a year ago, and though he may show no effects thats a HuGe red flag and right now we need home runs not question marks...I originally had us taking Tyson Jackson in the first, Sintim in the second and then Chris Baker in the third...The more I read the more I am sold on getting the best DT in the draft...All experts say the key to a strong 3-4 is a beast in the middle...He is a beast...and if u look at the crop of DT's...well its pretty weak. So I say we do whatever it takes to get this guy and go from there...The draft is full of guys that can play DE in a 3-4 so Tyson Jackson is no longer my pick...Chris Baker has character issues and thats the last thing we need....Sammie Lee Hill could turn out to be a good pro but what if hes not...Raji has got to be our guy... then we take Jarron Gilbert or Fili Moala in the 2nd...u see what just happened?...D-line taken care of...Now we go 4 our LB and in the 3rd will be guys like our man Brinkley if we dare or maybe a Gerald McRath or how about Lawrence Sidbury....this is the route I would go but wouldnt be disappointed with Rey, Cushing, Jackson, or Maybin
                  I like Gilbert in the 2nd, but not a DT in the 1st.

Linemen always take time to develop. And why not get one proven in FA, then use a draft pick and hope some one works out?

Now I guess we'll have to get one in the draft or via trade because there arn't many in FA anymore (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                    saying that bench does not matter shows that you never played defense in the box, or at least were never good at it. any middle linebacker or defensive lineman worth a crap knows that without arm strength you cant get a blocker off of you. dont just listen to what other people have to say, take it out of context, and try to look like you are all knowing about football

I'm not saying that bench doesn't matter, I'm saying that if you think that more reps means so much, then put the kicker in at MLB and see how well he does.

Bench is only a measure of strength in the chest and triceps and nothing else. It doesn't measure skill, aggressiveness, knowledge or any other important factor.

I get tired of people looking at combine numbers and running away with them as a measure of talent that an individual has, thats all.

I may not be all knowing about football, but I know enough to stand by what I say. I suppose you are a coach in the NFL by the way you try and come across.

I respect other peoples opinions, but it doesn't mean that I have to agree with them.
                    Last edited by Jack-o-Lantern; 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                      Maybe it's his poor senior bowl

Maybe its the 2 bench reps less than his kicker

Maybe its the 4.8 40 time

Maybe its the refusal to do the position drills

Maybe it's him pulling his hammy after running 39 yards in a straight line

Maybe it's his constant overpursuing

Maybe its how he plays like a slower Nate Webster

Maybe I'm completely wrong?
                      Time will tell, but all I see is a bust waiting to happen.
                      I find it interesting that you point out the problems with Reys offseason but completely ignore the poor workouts of the RBs. You continue to say that Moreno would be a good value at 12. How can you continue to say this and at least not acknowledge that Rey would be at least as good a value at 12?

In the 4 mocks at once on ESPN insider they have taken 4 mocks around the country and rated/ compared the players. Rey is number 9 on the list out of 20.... Knowshon Moreno is nowhere to be found on the list..... For good reason.

Mcshay's latest Mock has Moreno at 31. How is Moreno a good value at 12 and Rey would be a reach? Does that really make sense to you?

I am not saying we should draft Rey, so don't misinterpret my comments. I am simply pointing out the obvious flaw in your perception of things. It is sure interesting watching your ignorance blind you....

Here are the results from ESPN Insider ---

Averaging the Draft Experts
                      Position Player McShay / ESPN Banks / SI Rang / CBS Fiutak / FOX Avg. Position
                      1 Aaron Curry, LB, WF 3 1 3 2 2.25
                      2 Jason Smith, OT, BU 2 2 2 4 2.5
                      3 Matthew Stafford, QB, UGA 1 10 1 1 3.25
                      4 Eugene Monroe, OT, UVA 6 3 6 6 5.25
                      5 Michael Crabtree, WR, TTU 7 4 4 7 5.5
                      6 B.J. Raji, DT, BC 4 7 7 9 6.75
                      7 Brian Orakpo, DE, UT 5 6 15 5 7.75
                      8 Mark Sanchez, QB, USC 15 8 17 3 10.75
                      9 Rey Maualuga, LB, USC 16 5 12 13 11.5
                      10 Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU 14 9 9 14 11.5
                      11 Everette Brown, DE, FSU 9 25 5 11 12.5
                      12 Aaron Maybin, DE, PSU 11 11 18 12 13.0
                      13 Andre Smith, OT, ALA 10 13 20 10 13.25
                      14 Jeremy Maclin, WR, UM 8 17 10 18 13.25
                      15 Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU 12 15 16 15 14.5
                      16 Michael Oher, OT, MISS 13 32* 8 8 15.25
                      17 Brian Cushing, LB, USC 23 12 11 21 16.75
                      18 Peria Jerry, DT, MISS 22 20 13 19 18.5
                      19 Vontae Davis, CB, UI 17 14 14 32* 19.25
                      20 Percy Harvin, WR, FLA 19 22 22 20 20

Comment

A 3-4 ILB is not that important. What we need are good OLB pass rushers. If we were still a strict 4-3 defense then heck yes I'd want Rey at 12. Since we're going to a 3-4 however, the 12th pick is WAY too high to take somebody like him. We need a solid OLB that can rush the passer, which is why I firmly believe we need to take somebody like Everette Brown or Orakpo if he falls to us.

All this instantly goes out the window of Raji falls though. A powerful NT is the most important part of a 3-4 defense.

Comment

It doesnt matter how good or bad rey is or if he had a poor outing at the senoir bowl, his 40 time was slow or whatever.
                          It's different when you get a guy on a football field on paper some people dont look that great but is a flat out "football player"
                          But the point is that i dont think our need is a MLB compared to our needs at Pass-rushing OLB a NT among other things Denver will have 12 guys on there draft board and one of those 12 guys will be there when it is our time to select. ripping rey rey on how he looks on paper isnt proving anything he has done what he has done on a big stage at USC and did very well but i just dont think we need a MLB due to our other needs on Deffence just my opinion.
                          Don't Draft Bradford...
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X