For all of you who want OLB at the 12th pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all of you who want OLB at the 12th pick

Right now I am going to make a strong case for drafting Maualuga at our pick if he is available. If you take a look at this years draft class you will notice that it is heavily loaded with DEs and OLBs. Now assuming that Curry, Raji, Orakpo and Brown are gone, there is not much to take at the 12th pick in the draft. I know that most people on this forum want to take Cushing or Jackson or even Jenkins. However, the value of this picks are very low as these players (except for Jenkins). Cornerback or Free Safety are not really needed because we have depth (or will have good depth) at these positions. This years draft class has at least 8 DEs/OLBs (excluding Orakpo, Brown and Curry-OLB) that are first round picks or early second round picks this year. There arent many first round ILBs in this draft. If you look at the list there are only 2 ILBs worthy of being taken in the first round: 1.Maualuga 2.Laurinaitis (again excluding Curry). Now that I am done explaining why his value is good enough, let me explain what he brings to our team and why we would need him. Assuming that DJ will move to OLB which we should probably do, we are going to be very short at the ILB position. DJ will now move to OLB and will give us 1 starter at OLB. The depth at this position so very great (Bailey, Doom, Moss, Woodyard, Reid). Now as far as depth of DE, I can understand people wanting a DE, however as I showed you, drafting a DE would basically be a reach at our pick. So theres only 1 position left: ILB. If you look at the depth at that position you will see that we have 2: Larsen and Davis. The other 2 which are Loius Green and Mario Haggan, Im assuming can play both OLB and ILB so they dont really fit into my argument. Andra is not a starter, however, he will be a great backup. Spencer Larsen could definitely be a starting ILB, however for a 3-4 defense we need 2. Now, we need one more potential starter at ILB and lets assume that one of the 5 OLBs I mentioned will take the other OLB spot. This ILB has to be the leader of our defense. One who will bring intensity and ferociousness and will be a ballhawk. In almost every great defense, there was a great ILB. These are the reasons that we should Rey Maualuga at the #12 pick in the draft. (If we trade down, I have no problem taking English, Jackson or even Cushing)

Originally posted by JDDJDD123 View Post
    Right now I am going to make a strong case for drafting Maualuga at our pick if he is available. If you take a look at this years draft class you will notice that it is heavily loaded with DEs and OLBs. Now assuming that Curry, Raji, Orakpo and Brown are gone, there is not much to take at the 12th pick in the draft. I know that most people on this forum want to take Cushing or Jackson or even Jenkins. However, the value of this picks are very low as these players (except for Jenkins). Cornerback or Free Safety are not really needed because we have depth (or will have good depth) at these positions. This years draft class has at least 8 DEs/OLBs (excluding Orakpo, Brown and Curry-OLB) that are first round picks or early second round picks this year. There arent many first round ILBs in this draft. If you look at the list there are only 2 ILBs worthy of being taken in the first round: 1.Maualuga 2.Laurinaitis (again excluding Curry). Now that I am done explaining why his value is good enough, let me explain what he brings to our team and why we would need him. Assuming that DJ will move to OLB which we should probably do, we are going to be very short at the ILB position. DJ will now move to OLB and will give us 1 starter at OLB. The depth at this position so very great (Bailey, Doom, Moss, Woodyard, Reid). Now as far as depth of DE, I can understand people wanting a DE, however as I showed you, drafting a DE would basically be a reach at our pick. So theres only 1 position left: ILB. If you look at the depth at that position you will see that we have 2: Larsen and Davis. The other 2 which are Loius Green and Mario Haggan, Im assuming can play both OLB and ILB so they dont really fit into my argument. Andra is not a starter, however, he will be a great backup. Spencer Larsen could definitely be a starting ILB, however for a 3-4 defense we need 2. Now, we need one more potential starter at ILB and lets assume that one of the 5 OLBs I mentioned will take the other OLB spot. This ILB has to be the leader of our defense. One who will bring intensity and ferociousness and will be a ballhawk. In almost every great defense, there was a great ILB. These are the reasons that we should Rey Maualuga at the #12 pick in the draft. (If we trade down, I have no problem taking English, Jackson or even Cushing)
    Look! A giant blob of text! I couldn't get past the first few sentences... But any draftnik will tell you that it is easier to find a suitable 3-4 MLB in the later rounds than it is to find a suitable 3-4 OLB in the later rounds. :thumb:
    sigpic

Comment

Not of Rey's caliber though...

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
        Look! A giant blob of text! I couldn't get past the first few sentences... But any draftnik will tell you that it is easier to find a suitable 3-4 MLB in the later rounds than it is to find a suitable 3-4 OLB in the later rounds. :thumb:
        Exactly.

And DJ will stay inside. At least he should. Haggan and Green are ILB's.
        There is good depth for ILBs in later rounds.

Comment

That was a pain reading that. Anyways...

First of all, Maualuga is NOT a ball hawk. 3 picks in 3 years is not that awesome.

Secondly, if all the awesome talent is gone (BJ, Orakpo, Brown, etc) then I would want us to trade down. Maybe grab English or Maualuga if he's still there around the 17-20 range.

NT is the most important position in a 3-4 defense, and a close second is an awesome OLB that can rush the passer. You don't need awesome ILB's for a 3-4 to work. Maualuga is a great pickup for a 4-3 team, but not us. I'd rather get him LATE in the first round, or grab the best available NT/OLB.

Comment

I would rather take Cushing in the 1st and then Scott McKillop in the 4th instead of Rey. Rey may be more fiery but Mckillop plays smarter and I wouldn't want to trust the OLB job to Moss, Doom, and Bailey. Definitely not Woodyard. DJ very well might move to ILB as well so that leaves 2 potential OLB starting positions to fill with new players, not just 1. Cushing could play ILB or OLB so that is a plus as well.
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Not of Rey's caliber though...
              I would say there are players of Rey's caliber in the other rounds. Jasper Brinkley, Scott McKillop, Zack Follett if he moves to ILB, Marcus Freeman.
              sigpic

Comment

Rey performed like an anemic high-school girl at the combine and then hurt himself trying to run. As one commentator put it "he's just killing himself."

If he doesn't pick it up significantly for Pro-day workouts he's going to fall completely out of the first into the 2nd round.

Denver could look at him in the 2nd if he's still there, but NOT at #12! Frankly, right now there's very little chance anybody will draft him in the top 25 teams. He really hurt his draft prospects and is no longer an option for Denver at #12.

Frankly, Denver does NOT need a ILB since they have DJ and Woodyard.

They need DE, DT and OLB, S, CB.

In about that order. Right now, the only 3-4 DE prospect is Marcus Thomas so DE is a big need.

OLB is a mystery. They need an OLB rush LB because neither Moss nor Crowder are a sure bet at OLB and Dumervil is better suited to a 4-3.

They need a NT because Ron Fields is not a real starter.

They need a CB because they dealt Foxworth last year and let Paymah go.

They need a Safety because Dawkins is approaching 100 and won't last long, while Renaldo Hill is another short-term answer.

Boss Bailey is another potential starter at ILB so the Broncos could pass on drafting one this year and make do with what they have, while concentrating on areas they DON'T have like DE/NT/S/CB/OLB.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                  I would say there are players of Rey's caliber in the other rounds. Jasper Brinkley, Scott McKillop, Zack Follett if he moves to ILB, Marcus Freeman.
                  Follett is one of my favorite OLBs in this draft. He needs to put on about 5-10 pounds to be able to play OLB in a 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Sorry but none of these guys you mention even come close to being the caliber of linebacker that Maualuga is. Rey is a monster and will make anyone who doubts him recant their statements very soon. We need to get the best player available at #12 at that very possibly could be Rey. Outside of D.J. we have a bunch of guys on the inside who have nowhere near the talent that Maualuga has or the leadership qualities. He will impact a defense much in the same way that Paulamalu has with the Steeler's......funny both went to U.S.C.. I am on his bandwagon all the way and for good reason....all you need to do is look at his resume. I have watched every single one of his games and to not pick this guy would be a mistake. We are not going to fix this defense in one season and that is all there is to it, so we need to get young great player's who can make an impact right away and it is just a plus if they are leader's and Rey is every bit that. I don't really think it comes down to one particular need when your whole defense is in need. The best player at the pick for defense regardless of position because you have to build a foundation. LB's like Rey do not come around very often.....

Comment

you lost me when you said you wanted to make a case for maualuga
                      Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                      vs.
                      Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                      Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                      First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                        Rey performed like an anemic high-school girl at the combine and then hurt himself trying to run. As one commentator put it "he's just killing himself."

If he doesn't pick it up significantly for Pro-day workouts he's going to fall completely out of the first into the 2nd round.

Denver could look at him in the 2nd if he's still there, but NOT at #12! Frankly, right now there's very little chance anybody will draft him in the top 25 teams. He really hurt his draft prospects and is no longer an option for Denver at #12.

Frankly, Denver does NOT need a ILB since they have DJ and Woodyard.

They need DE, DT and OLB, S, CB.

In about that order. Right now, the only 3-4 DE prospect is Marcus Thomas so DE is a big need.

OLB is a mystery. They need an OLB rush LB because neither Moss nor Crowder are a sure bet at OLB and Dumervil is better suited to a 4-3.

They need a NT because Ron Fields is not a real starter.

They need a CB because they dealt Foxworth last year and let Paymah go.

They need a Safety because Dawkins is approaching 100 and won't last long, while Renaldo Hill is another short-term answer.

Boss Bailey is another potential starter at ILB so the Broncos could pass on drafting one this year and make do with what they have, while concentrating on areas they DON'T have like DE/NT/S/CB/OLB.
                        Are you kidding me...lol...when is the last time that you watched a U.S.C game...lol...Rey will not drop to the second round...lol...Rey went into the combine with a bad hamstring and knew it but still tried...it is a testament to his character....he will have a great pro day and I don't know if you are aware of this but G.M.'s put much more weight on what a guy does on the field and on game film than they do on the combine or on a private workout...what did Rey do...absolutely dominate and I have watched every one of his games...He will make those who doubt eat their words....lol...sorry I can't stop laughing at your calling him a girl...Rey would make an immediate impact on this team from day one and Woodyard is nowhere near the player as Rey...furthermore Rey played for possibly the best team program in college football and played in big games throughout his time with U.S.C.. Did you not watch the Rose Bowl.....dominance.....Sorry but I can only laugh at your statements....lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                          you lost me when you said you wanted to make a case for maualuga
                          LOL.....yea well your opinion means nothing when you cannot give any facts as to Rey not being a great player....why can't you.....because you have none...period...end of discussion.....you were too busy watching the combine when he was hurt rather than actually watching him play.....Rose Bowl dominance......

Comment

Nothing against drafting Rey Maualuga... He would be a hard-hitting force. But our priority is to build the defensive line, otherwise even Maualuga won't be very effective. If we can't get BJ Raji, I hope we take a look at Chris Baker in the 5th round, for example. 69 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks in 2008. He is 6'2, 326 and ran a 5.03. I think the 12th overall pick has too much value for us to draft a 3-4 DE like Tyson Jackson.
                            sigpic

Comment

When I watched USC games I saw him over run plays and become too aggressive.

Mays ways the same way.

Comment

Working...
                              X