For all of you who want OLB at the 12th pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I seriously doubt Boss, Green, and Woodyard will be OLBs.

Their size and speed would make them fine ILBs.

All being around 230-240 lbs.

We need true OLB passrushers first,
    we cannot waste the 12th pick on Mamaluga when we have ZERO players with linebacker experience at OLB

So really it's

OLBs:
    Dumervil
    Moss

ILBs:

Haggan
    Larsen
    DJ
    Andra
    Woodyard
    Boss
    Green

So our ILBLB ratio is 7:2

We would be wise to stay away from Rey and hope for Everette

Sorry to break the news to you buddy, but there is no way that Woodyard, boss or green play the inside and are not a possibility (much too small and if anything belong at another position all together) and DJ could still be considered to play on the outside too (he is athletic enough).

You're just trying to bend the odds in favor of your dreams.

Still, I can't blame you for having a dream. Dream on my friend.

At best our options look like this:

OLB's:

Dumervil
    Moss
    DJ
    Green

ILB's:

Haggan
    Larsen
    DJ
    Andra

Woodyard and Boss really don't fit at either position in a 3-4. In this situation the ratio is 1:1

Still, we need both ILB's and OLB's. We aren't proven at either position.

As for Everette:
    What good is a pass rush when you don't have a pro bowl NT or good SILB to fill gaps in the run game. Our defense will be exposed by the run just as it was last year. That would lead to the opposition running all day long wearing down our defense and winning time of possession.

The fact is we need to control the opposing teams run game before we can even think about their passing game. To do so would be a big mistake. Besides, they will still not be inclined to pass with a healthy Champ Bailey and the addition of Brian Dawkins in our backfield.

That is why, by taking Rey Maualuga the best 3-4 SILB in the entire draft, we will be helping our team for years to come. Did I mention that Rey won the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player at the college football awards. That sounds worthy of a pick at the 12 spot to me. Really, It sounds more like a gift to rebuild our struggling defense.
    Last edited by Jack-o-Lantern; 03-14-2009, 09:32 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JDDJDD123 View Post
      Im sure scouts like Kiper, Mcshay and Mayock agree with you (not really).
      Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Rey doesn't have a future in the NFL, nor am I necessarily saying that I really believe Brinkley is hands down a better prospect, but I believe I have a few valid points, if you can have a discussion without taking it personally.

*Brinkley had a much better combine, which shows me that he has better a better discipline for keeping his body in shape.

*Rey showed up at the Senior Bowl out of shape.

*I discount Rey's slow 40 time because of his hammy, but I don't think there is a good excuse for a man with a frame as large as his to not do much better in the bench press competition.

Ultimately, I am not saying take Brinkley with the 12th pick, but I am saying that I think it's too high to take Rey. I think it would be better to take Brinkley in the 2nd, with the question marks around Rey right now.

The only way I will change my opinion of Rey is if he has a montser Pro Day at USC. Right now there are safer picks at 12.

I was actually very high on Rey but my opinion of his potential slipped not just because of the senior bowl and the combine, but also because both times I watched USC this year I was more impressed with Cushing. I thought he forced his will on the game more than any of the other linebackers at USC.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Rey doesn't have a future in the NFL, nor am I necessarily saying that I really believe Brinkley is hands down a better prospect, but I believe I have a few valid points, if you can have a discussion without taking it personally.

*Brinkley had a much better combine, which shows me that he has better a better discipline for keeping his body in shape.

*Rey showed up at the Senior Bowl out of shape.

*I discount Rey's slow 40 time because of his hammy, but I don't think there is a good excuse for a man with a frame as large as his to not do much better in the bench press competition.

Ultimately, I am not saying take Brinkley with the 12th pick, but I am saying that I think it's too high to take Rey. I think it would be better to take Brinkley in the 2nd, with the question marks around Rey right now.

The only way I will change my opinion of Rey is if he has a montser Pro Day at USC. Right now there are safer picks at 12.

I was actually very high on Rey but my opinion of his potential slipped not just because of the senior bowl and the combine, but also because both times I watched USC this year I was more impressed with Cushing. I thought he forced his will on the game more than any of the other linebackers at USC.
        Tyson Jackson or even Brian Cushing aren't good value at 12 either. The best of the three is Rey Maualuga b/c he will be a playmaker. When you watch Cushing, is he just another person making the tackle or is he the one who rushes the passer and makes the play? The only reason Cushing is even rated so high is b/c of his versatility and athleticism. The only thing that counts are the plays made on the football field. Tyson Jackson is great against the run, however he doesn't have good pass rushing skills which is what a 3-4 end needs. Maualuga is the perfect pick for the Denver Broncos at 12. He brings the intensity and leadership needed to play MLB and also provides us with another impact player on defense. Now just because he didn't have an amazing Senior Bowl or got injured at the Senior Bowl, doesn't mean he should drop from a top 15 to a top 25 pick. He would be a steal for any team if he got drafted that low in the first round. Everyone must also remember that our coaches have been on teams who drafted a LB close to our pick and they eventually became Rookie of the Year. Josh Mcdaniels was the OC of the Patriots when they drafted Mayo. Mike Nolan was the HC and GM of the 49ers when they drafted Patrick Willis. They will remember how big of an impact they made on their defense.

Comment

Originally posted by JDDJDD123 View Post
          Tyson Jackson or even Brian Cushing aren't good value at 12 either. The best of the three is Rey Maualuga b/c he will be a playmaker. When you watch Cushing, is he just another person making the tackle or is he the one who rushes the passer and makes the play? The only reason Cushing is even rated so high is b/c of his versatility and athleticism. The only thing that counts are the plays made on the football field. Tyson Jackson is great against the run, however he doesn't have good pass rushing skills which is what a 3-4 end needs. Maualuga is the perfect pick for the Denver Broncos at 12. He brings the intensity and leadership needed to play MLB and also provides us with another impact player on defense. Now just because he didn't have an amazing Senior Bowl or got injured at the Senior Bowl, doesn't mean he should drop from a top 15 to a top 25 pick. He would be a steal for any team if he got drafted that low in the first round. Everyone must also remember that our coaches have been on teams who drafted a LB close to our pick and they eventually became Rookie of the Year. Josh Mcdaniels was the OC of the Patriots when they drafted Mayo. Mike Nolan was the HC and GM of the 49ers when they drafted Patrick Willis. They will remember how big of an impact they made on their defense.

Disagree...the perfect fit at #12 is Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis if Raji is already gone. #12 at ILB is too high for the talent available. Both of the starting CBs are 31 with no depth behind them. If they can't get a NT with the first pick the best option is trade down or take a CB. The CBs are much better players than the LBs that will be left at 12. Take the BPA is always the best plan.
          sigpic

Comment

In fact let me pull out some draft history for you. Starting from the 2003 draft to the 2008 draft, how many Linebackers were taken at the 9th-12th pick? Eight linebackers were taken: 2003-Terrell Suggs, 2004-Jonathan Vilma, 2005-DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman, 2006-Ernie Sims, 2007-Patrick Willis, 2008-Keith Rivers and Jerod Mayo. Five were Rookie of the Year. Five were Pro Bowlers. Now how many Defensive Ends? ONE-Kevin Williams(He was projected a DE coming out). At least four out of the eight linebackers were drafted by a 3-4 team. By the history of the NFL draft, a linebacker taken close or even at our pick was always the right choice to make, especially for 3-4 teams (they all became Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowlers).

Comment

Working...
            X