Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both Kiper and McShay have us taking Tyson Jackson in new mocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both Kiper and McShay have us taking Tyson Jackson in new mocks.

Solid pick, i would have no problem with this at all...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ory?id=3972427

12. Denver Broncos (8-8)

Kiper pick: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU -- Jackson would be ideal in a 3-4, thanks to his ability to shift inside in passing situations.
    McShay pick: Jackson -- The Broncos need to bulk up along the defensive front in order to make a smooth transition to the 3-4 scheme. They could use this pick on a linebacker, but Jackson is the only elite five-technique in this draft class and would fit well in Denver.

So be it... We still need to look for another NT later in the draft. Maybe Chris Baker, I have a good feeling about him.
    sigpic

Comment

who does Mayock have us taking?

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        So be it... We still need to look for another NT later in the draft. Maybe Chris Baker, I have a good feeling about him.
        I agree 100%. Im hoping Brace will be there at our 2nd round pick so we can nab him.

Comment

I'm find with that, if the big 4-5 guys are off the board by the time we pick and we can't trade down then im 100% fine with jackson. We will need to try and get baker, taylor or brace in the next few rounds tho.
          Humm....

Comment

If we take him, it will be the first of many picks we will need to make on the defensive side of the ball. I have no issues with this pick.

Thx,
            Joe
            To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Mel Kiper is a fraud

Comment

Do, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay hate eachother or something? Sorry, if it's off topic...
                sigpic
                Props to Peerless^
                Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
                Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
                Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
                Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
                  Do, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay hate eachother or something? Sorry, if it's off topic...
                  I don't know if Kiper hates McShay, but I know that almost everyone hates Mel Kiper...
                  sigpic

Comment

No thanks ill take Robert Ayers instead

Comment

I wouldn't mind that pick.

A story about T. Jackson
                      The Arkansas Razorbacks play 2 home games in Little Rock every year. Every other year one of those teams is LSU. Last November I went to this game. I walked there because the stadium is 3 blocks from my house. I didn't have much expectations for the Hogs because we are rebuilding, but in the first quarter Arkansas lit LSU up... Then T. Jackson took over the game, & we couldn't move the ball for 2 whole quarters. The whole time LSU is slowly creeping back in the game. By the 4thQ LSU had a decent lead, but with 2 min. left we had the ball & only down 3 points. Unfortunately for us we couldn't move the ball, & on 4th down Jackson sacked our QB. Then out of nowhere he stood up & kicked the ball across the field to taunt the crowd, earning him a personal foul & giving us a first down. 2 plays later he got another personnel foul (roughing QB, I think) & was ejected from the game. A play or 2 after that we completed a 40 yard TD pass to win the game!

Thank you Tyson Jackson for helping out on that November day.:salute!:

I know the story's totally irrelevant, but I thought I'd share.

Comment

Personally Id rather have Peria Jerry as a DE then Tyson Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by Exxon View Post
                          Personally Id rather have Peria Jerry as a DE then Tyson Jackson.

By Matt McGuire for Peria Jerry

Strengths: Very good statistical production ... Outstanding agility and great change of direction ... Tough in a phone booth; will fight ... Collapses the pocket ... Strong hands and can re-direct ... Gives second effort ... Solid instincts ... Plays low to the ground ... Very athletic with a nice burst ... Grades out well with chase tackles ... Active ... Prototypical one-gap penetrator ... Big leader and team captain ... Clean off the field ... Alleged strong work ethic ... Nice Senior Bowl week ... Comes from football-family tree; nice genetics.

Weaknesses: Can't get much bigger and does not carry weight well; can still improve upper body strength a bit ... Not versatile at nose tackle, 1-technique, or 5-technique ... Struggles against bigger linemen ... Overwhelmed against run occasionally ... Injury history.

Summary: Jerry will be a very solid pick in the first round for some team that needs an active pass-rusher up the middle. There is a lot to like with this prospect, and in the right scheme he could be supremely productive.

Player Comparison: Cory Redding. Redding is one of the most overlooked defensive tackles in the NFL, but he is a very athletic and active player with similar size.

Tyson Jackson's Scouting Report
                          By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Nice height and strength ... Consistent production ... Athletic enough to beat and pursue ... Strong at the point of attack ... Displays a great rip move ... Gets low, uses hands well on bull rush ... Disciplined player who plays within the scheme; does not get out of control or take himself out of the play ... Gets hands up and bats down passes ... Anchor against the run ... Draws double teams occasionally ... Versatile as a 4-3 left defensive end, or an athletic 5-technique.

Weaknesses: Does not get much explosion off the snap ... Sometimes gets too high ... Did not play his best in big games ... Does not show much range ... Questionable instincts ... Needs to have more of a motor ... Does not present a high upside.

Summary: Jackson is a talented player, but he leaves some effort on the field and that worries me. He could go to a team lacking a powerful left defensive end, or to a team looking for a 5-technique to anchor the run. Like most, I have mixed views on Jackson as a prospect, and that puts him in the very low first round to second round.

Player Comparison: Ty Warren. Warren is a tough 5-technique for the Patriots, but not much of a pass rusher. Jackson loses some pass rush ability in the 3-4 scheme, but it all depends on how he is utilized, like Warren.
                          Last edited by elevation INC; 03-13-2009, 02:40 AM.

Comment

That's why Jerry doesn't get much talk on this board. Good player but not at all what Nolan and McDaniels will be looking for.
                            \

Comment

Originally posted by expatRick View Post
                              That's why Jerry doesn't get much talk on this board. Good player but not at all what Nolan and McDaniels will be looking for.
                              +1 Aside from a few random mock sites that don't pay enough attention to team needs, he gets no love as a pick for Denver. He's just not got the skill set to play in a 3-4 at any position, and would be terrible value for a team that plans to play a hybrid, when he would only be useful for pass rush as a 3-technique DT in a 4-3 set.

As to the OP, I'd be good with Jackson, though I'd rather have an OLB at this spot. I don't see much value in that position falling to us in the second, barring a run on some unforeseen position. There are some good developmental prospects, but none that can start and contribute right away, unless someone slips (Sintim, maybe?).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X