Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both Kiper and McShay have us taking Tyson Jackson in new mocks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japfaff
    replied
    Originally posted by d-bronx42 View Post
    The problem with that is Jarron Gilbert will most likely be gone by our 2nd round pick. His stock has sky rocketed the past few weeks.
    Maybe..... But that is the chance that you take..... If they make it through Pitt, there is a good chance that he is there

Leave a comment:

• d-bronx42
    replied
    Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking Jackson..... But if it were up to me I would take a LB in the first and come back in the second and take Jerron Gilbert from San Jose ST.... 6'5" 288LBS 4.8 40 28 reps.... He is going to be the best 5 tech in the draft....
    The problem with that is Jarron Gilbert will most likely be gone by our 2nd round pick. His stock has sky rocketed the past few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Gbt31
    replied
    If we land Tyson Jackson in the first, and go Safety(Delmas, Johnson, Chung, Moore...) I will be very happy.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    I wouldn't mind taking Jackson..... But if it were up to me I would take a LB in the first and come back in the second and take Jerron Gilbert from San Jose ST.... 6'5" 288LBS 4.8 40 28 reps.... He is going to be the best 5 tech in the draft....

Leave a comment:

• DURANGO BRONCO
    replied
    Mulling through numerous mocks it looks like Tyson Jackson or Everette Brown will be value picks at 12. Value at OLB is deep and Sintim or Clay Matthews could slip to our second round pick. That would be sweet.

I know we need a NT but Raji will be gone before we pick in the 1st and
    Brace will be gone by our 2nd pick, so we might as well try to draft a couple of big boys later on like Terrance Taylor and Sammie Lee Hill.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos Bassist
    replied
    Originally posted by expatRick View Post
    That's why Jerry doesn't get much talk on this board. Good player but not at all what Nolan and McDaniels will be looking for.
    +1 Aside from a few random mock sites that don't pay enough attention to team needs, he gets no love as a pick for Denver. He's just not got the skill set to play in a 3-4 at any position, and would be terrible value for a team that plans to play a hybrid, when he would only be useful for pass rush as a 3-technique DT in a 4-3 set.

As to the OP, I'd be good with Jackson, though I'd rather have an OLB at this spot. I don't see much value in that position falling to us in the second, barring a run on some unforeseen position. There are some good developmental prospects, but none that can start and contribute right away, unless someone slips (Sintim, maybe?).

Leave a comment:

• expatRick
    replied
    That's why Jerry doesn't get much talk on this board. Good player but not at all what Nolan and McDaniels will be looking for.

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Originally posted by Exxon View Post
    Personally Id rather have Peria Jerry as a DE then Tyson Jackson.

By Matt McGuire for Peria Jerry

Strengths: Very good statistical production ... Outstanding agility and great change of direction ... Tough in a phone booth; will fight ... Collapses the pocket ... Strong hands and can re-direct ... Gives second effort ... Solid instincts ... Plays low to the ground ... Very athletic with a nice burst ... Grades out well with chase tackles ... Active ... Prototypical one-gap penetrator ... Big leader and team captain ... Clean off the field ... Alleged strong work ethic ... Nice Senior Bowl week ... Comes from football-family tree; nice genetics.

Weaknesses: Can't get much bigger and does not carry weight well; can still improve upper body strength a bit ... Not versatile at nose tackle, 1-technique, or 5-technique ... Struggles against bigger linemen ... Overwhelmed against run occasionally ... Injury history.

Summary: Jerry will be a very solid pick in the first round for some team that needs an active pass-rusher up the middle. There is a lot to like with this prospect, and in the right scheme he could be supremely productive.

Player Comparison: Cory Redding. Redding is one of the most overlooked defensive tackles in the NFL, but he is a very athletic and active player with similar size.

Tyson Jackson's Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Nice height and strength ... Consistent production ... Athletic enough to beat and pursue ... Strong at the point of attack ... Displays a great rip move ... Gets low, uses hands well on bull rush ... Disciplined player who plays within the scheme; does not get out of control or take himself out of the play ... Gets hands up and bats down passes ... Anchor against the run ... Draws double teams occasionally ... Versatile as a 4-3 left defensive end, or an athletic 5-technique.

Weaknesses: Does not get much explosion off the snap ... Sometimes gets too high ... Did not play his best in big games ... Does not show much range ... Questionable instincts ... Needs to have more of a motor ... Does not present a high upside.

Summary: Jackson is a talented player, but he leaves some effort on the field and that worries me. He could go to a team lacking a powerful left defensive end, or to a team looking for a 5-technique to anchor the run. Like most, I have mixed views on Jackson as a prospect, and that puts him in the very low first round to second round.

Player Comparison: Ty Warren. Warren is a tough 5-technique for the Patriots, but not much of a pass rusher. Jackson loses some pass rush ability in the 3-4 scheme, but it all depends on how he is utilized, like Warren.
    Last edited by elevation INC; 03-13-2009, 01:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Exxon
    replied
    Personally Id rather have Peria Jerry as a DE then Tyson Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• bd7hawg
    replied
    I wouldn't mind that pick.

A story about T. Jackson
    The Arkansas Razorbacks play 2 home games in Little Rock every year. Every other year one of those teams is LSU. Last November I went to this game. I walked there because the stadium is 3 blocks from my house. I didn't have much expectations for the Hogs because we are rebuilding, but in the first quarter Arkansas lit LSU up... Then T. Jackson took over the game, & we couldn't move the ball for 2 whole quarters. The whole time LSU is slowly creeping back in the game. By the 4thQ LSU had a decent lead, but with 2 min. left we had the ball & only down 3 points. Unfortunately for us we couldn't move the ball, & on 4th down Jackson sacked our QB. Then out of nowhere he stood up & kicked the ball across the field to taunt the crowd, earning him a personal foul & giving us a first down. 2 plays later he got another personnel foul (roughing QB, I think) & was ejected from the game. A play or 2 after that we completed a 40 yard TD pass to win the game!

Thank you Tyson Jackson for helping out on that November day.:salute!:

I know the story's totally irrelevant, but I thought I'd share.

Leave a comment:

• thejake_09
    replied
    No thanks ill take Robert Ayers instead

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
    Do, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay hate eachother or something? Sorry, if it's off topic...
    I don't know if Kiper hates McShay, but I know that almost everyone hates Mel Kiper...

Leave a comment:

• SheerCold
    replied
    Do, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay hate eachother or something? Sorry, if it's off topic...

Leave a comment:

• Ohenhen12345
    replied
    Mel Kiper is a fraud

Leave a comment:

• garzjoe
    replied
    If we take him, it will be the first of many picks we will need to make on the defensive side of the ball. I have no issues with this pick.

Thx,
    Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X