Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Pro Day (Raji shines, Brace not so much)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boston College Pro Day (Raji shines, Brace not so much)

    BJ Raji dominated once again. He's a Top 10 lock.

    Ron Brace did not. One NFL Coach said watching the two of them was like watching a rabbit and a turtle.

    Mike Mayock said Ron Brace is a 3rd Round pick, maybe Late 2nd. And is strictly a 2 down run plugger, which we already knew.



    Here's an NFL.com video discussing the Pro Day:

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f3b6ab



    There are two things of importance here.

    1) It looks like we could take DT Ron Brace in the 2nd Round easily, and maybe even in the 3rd Round, though that is unlikely.

    2) Lets stop with the Mock Drafts that have us taking Brace in the 1st Round.


    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    BJ Raji dominated once again. He's a Top 10 lock.

    Ron Brace did not. One NFL Coach said watching the two of them was like watching a rabbit and a turtle.

    Mike Mayock said Ron Brace is a 3rd Round pick, maybe Late 2nd. And is strictly a 2 down run plugger, which we already knew.



    Here's an NFL.com video discussing the Pro Day:

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f3b6ab



    There are two things of importance here.

    1) It looks like we could take DT Ron Brace in the 2nd Round easily, and maybe even in the 3rd Round, though that is unlikely.

    2) Lets stop with the Mock Drafts that have us taking Brace in the 1st Round.


    Thoughts?


    raji was a tope ten lock before his pro day...lol we already knew that, and a good senior bowl put braces stock on the rise, but i laid off brace in the first rd after the combine, and i saw his pro day results as well. but ya beat me to it.:salute!:


    i think brace a bit in the first after his combine and pro day is as bad as aaron maybin at 12



    i do not think brace makes it till the third rd....he has to get through alot of teams desperate for that plugger
    Last edited by elevation INC; 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I always thought BJ Raji is a clearly superior player when compared to Ron Brace. I also think Evander Hood is a better prospect than Brace.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        A legit run stuffer in the middle of the second round is a bargain. Drafting a 3-4 NT because he can rush the passer is like drafting a RB because he can throw an option pass.
        \

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow i just had a brilliant idea.

          Trade down in the first and pick up an extra 2nd

          In the first select tyson jackson

          and with the two second round picks take evander hood and ron brace...would be nice....lol but things that make sense at 2 in the morning dont always make sense the next day

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by expatRick View Post
            A legit run stuffer in the middle of the second round is a bargain. Drafting a 3-4 NT because he can rush the passer is like drafting a RB because he can throw an option pass.
            No doubt that we should consider Ron Brace if he falls to our 2nd round pick. Raji would be a better addition because his pass rushing ability would be useful when we play as a 4-3 defense. If we will have a hybrid defense, then versatility is more than welcome. And overall, Raji has better balance and quickness to control his gap.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              No doubt that we should consider Ron Brace if he falls to our 2nd round pick. Raji would be a better addition because his pass rushing ability would be useful when we play as a 4-3 defense. If we will have a hybrid defense, then versatility is more than welcome. And overall, Raji has better balance and quickness to control his gap.
              Granted Raji is the better player but really no chance he'll be available unless the Broncos trade way up. I'd much prefer an edge rusher in the 1st and run stuffer in the 2nd.
              \

              Comment


              • #8
                No way Raji falls to us. GB will snag him up if he falls. Brace has back problems which is bad for a NT, plus just looks sloooow. He is only a bull rusher with no moves whatsoever.

                I say trade down, get an extra pick or two (NYJ and Tampa want QB's badly) and grab up a project for NT. I especially want Hill who is athletic for his size and versatile. I swear he'll be the next Kendall Langford who was drafted by Miami last year.
                "Those are my principals... if you don't like them, well, I have others" - Groucho Marx

                "Having a Hell of a time my dear, wish you were here" - Alice Cooper

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's worth noting we've set up a private workout with Raji. Maybe we are having thoughts of trading up? Seattle might want to trade down. Their biggest need is RB and #4 is too soon for Moreno.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If we were going to move up to get Raji, it would probably look like this:

                    Raji would have to slide to 8th. That would mean Seatle especially would have to pass on him. Cleveland and Oakland are also possible suitors. However, Jacksonville probably doesn't need him at 8th. Green Bay would absolultely pick him if he fell to 9th because they too are switching to a 3-4 defense under Dom Capers (the guy I WISH had been our choice for D-coordinator). They don't have a NT either.

                    So we would have to trade up to 8th to get him before Green Bay. That would cost us our 3rd round pick on the draft value chart. Also, there is the possibility that Jacksonville would take Tony Scheffler intstead, since they do tend to use the TE in the passing game and lack an elite recieving TE talent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wouldn't object to trading up. I think the Broncos really need to get an impact front 7 player, preferably one who can get pressure.
                      \

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pilfin View Post
                        Also, there is the possibility that Jacksonville would take Tony Scheffler intstead, since they do tend to use the TE in the passing game and lack an elite recieving TE talent.
                        One could hope, couldn't they? Land Raji, keep all our draft picks, and get value for Scheffler, who will likely be underutilized in McD's offense? Mark draft day down as a huge win after one round! Too bad I'm an eternal pessimist. In my world, we'll end up giving up our second and third round picks, and Raji will be a huge bust.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There is no way Ron Brace makes it to the 3rd Round. Not with us , KC , Greenbay , San Fran , Miami , New England , Pittsburgh , San Diego all could draft him for now or the future.


                          I would love for him to fall to us in the 2nd Round but I still think he is gone before the 48th pick.



                          I still say trade down from 12(unless BJ falls) draft.

                          1. Clay Mathews
                          2. Ron Brace
                          3. Lawerence Sidbury
                          4. Jasper Brinkley

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pilfin View Post
                            If we were going to move up to get Raji, it would probably look like this:

                            Raji would have to slide to 8th. That would mean Seatle especially would have to pass on him. Cleveland and Oakland are also possible suitors. However, Jacksonville probably doesn't need him at 8th. Green Bay would absolultely pick him if he fell to 9th because they too are switching to a 3-4 defense under Dom Capers (the guy I WISH had been our choice for D-coordinator). They don't have a NT either.

                            So we would have to trade up to 8th to get him before Green Bay. That would cost us our 3rd round pick on the draft value chart. Also, there is the possibility that Jacksonville would take Tony Scheffler intstead, since they do tend to use the TE in the passing game and lack an elite recieving TE talent.

                            Going to disagree here.

                            I think Jacksonville will take him at 8th. He's clearly ahead of Malcolm Jenkins in terms of value. Jacksonville has dire team needs at both DT and CB. Possibly WR as well depending on what happens with Matt Jones' situation.

                            With the top OTs off the board, and that need somewhat diminished by signing Tre Thomas, the Jags will pick either Raji, Jenkins, or Crabtree/Maclin.

                            In terms of DT, the Jags have Henderson whom is 30 now, and nobody else. Their defense took a massive hit last season because of the trade of Stroud.

                            One thing is for sure, Jacksonville likely won't be trading down, they want and need one of the players available at 8.


                            Really, I dont see any of the Top 10 teams moving down except Seattle. Maybe Cincinnati if both OTs are gone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I could see Seattle, Cincinnati, or possibly Cleveland trading down. If Scheffler, Moss, or any of the other misfit defensive players could be part of a package to move up then it's just gravy.
                              \

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X