Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Guess...Lions pick up Peterson for us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
    You know, this is what has me so pissed off now. Obviously what I would settle for (as I'm sure quite a few other Bronco fans would settle for; 2 firsts and a first next year) is ridiculous. But don't you see what happens to US if they can't make us a ridiculous offer and we accept it.

If we did a trade for the 20th pick in the draft...we'd have our draft pick at #12 like nothing happened....and we'd be trading CUTLER FOR FREEMAN/SANCHEZ STRAIGHT UP.

Is anyone else missing the problem here. We're trading away our franchise QB, who would now be entering his THIRD full season with the team for an unproven rookie who might wind up doing **** in the NFL.

This whole things ridiculous, and while I did calm down and am still, as always, pumped for this season, McDbag has really, REALLY screwed up here.

I mean, let's just say Cutler has decided he does not want to return. Do you realize what this does for our franchise?

I thought firing Shanny set us back 3 years...losing Cutler sets us back an additional 3 years. We're looking at half a decade before we could be competitive again, or I should say half a decade before we could be a major player in the AFC.

This really sucks.

WHY WOULDN'T DET DO THIS DEAL? I mean, they could turn their #1 pick into multiple picks, or they would be free to draft someone other than a QB... Draft a LT or something.

I mean, in essence, since DET traded Roy Williams to DALLAS for their 1st and 3rd... Basically, this would mean they traded RW for Cutler and a 3rd. LOL... Who would trade Cutler & a 3rd rounder for Roy Williams?

SO, I laugh when rumors surface where it's hinted DET would eb willing to part w/ their 20th selection for Cutler- DUH... of course they would be willing!

ALSO... again.... if Mcdaniels approached this, or did what some have claimed, then he would be an idiot. I, for one, while not defending his actions... HAVE TO give him the benefit of doubt unitl I hear otherwise.

I mean... just look at the $$$$... Cutler makes a million in 2009 but MC makes 14 million? Please, I do not believe we were going to make some of these potential deals I am hearing about.

These leaks are coming FROM THE ENEMY... who wish to divide and conquor... these rumors are coming from teams TRYING TO ACQUIRE Cutler... who seek to lower Cutler's value (and force a trade)... and these leaks coming from AN AGENT who wants to procur more money for his client.

SO, again... using common sense... I have to believe Mcdaniels just answered the phone, didn't like what was offered and declined.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
      third full season with the team, but as for qbs, if you did trade cutler for freeman or sanchez, both cutler or a new qb would be in their "first" year in a mcdaniels system

Sure...but third full season in the NFL. Third full season with Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler, etc.

There's a HUGE difference.
      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

In Detroit, if they can half way block, Jay would be throwing to Calvin Johnson. Not a bad receiving option to throw to.

Comment

Peterson, #1, #20 and next year's first rounder for Cutler, and only Cutler.

That's the deal, and nothing less.

Anything less than that and I'm pissed. If it is that, well...I'm actually excited.
          You may have to be pissed, there is no way that Cutler is worth that much. If Jay is traded, imo, the #20 will land him and saying that a 1st will get him is almost stretching it. I know that he has tremendous talent but lets not forget he has a losing record as a starter and not to mention a very poor attitude.

Peterson and a 2nd, or Peterson and their 2 thirds maybe but no way they give up both first rounders for him. You might be able to make an argument that they could give up the #1 over all for him if they were planning on drafting Stafford, why not trade for someone with game experience instead of an unproven rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
            http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...y_deal_be.html

"As the relationship between the Denver Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler continues to get worse, the Detroit Lions might renew their interest in trading for the three-year veteran.

According to various reports, the Lions recently tried to swing a deal for Cutler in exchange for their second-round draft pick. Detroit would've sent the pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for Matt Cassel, who then would've been dealt immediately to the Broncos for Cutler.

That deal fell apart and it appeared any trade hopes would end there because the Broncos wanted a veteran QB in exchange for Cutler.

Now that Cutler might try to force a trade by not showing up for offseason workouts next week, the Lions likely are sniffing around again.

If the situation continues to worsen in Denver, the Broncos might be willing to take Detroit's 20th overall pick for Cutler. It's also possible, though, that Denver will want to wait and see if they can get a quarterback in the first round with that pick.

If the Broncos like USC's Mark Sanchez or Kansas State's Josh Freeman and one of those quarterbacks still is available at No. 20, the Broncos might be more inclined to swing the deal.

The one hangup is if the Lions are leaning toward drafting Georgia QB Matthew Stafford with the first overall pick. While the Lions clearly would prefer a veteran to take over at quarterback, they might not be willing to roll the dice -- passing on Stafford and then having a trade with Denver fall through and end up with nothing.

However, it's possible the Lions like Sanchez and/or Freeman at No. 20, so there would be no risk involved. If the Lions don't deal the pick, they draft a rookie quarterback.

Another potential hurdle is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who also were reportedly trying to trade for Cutler. At the time, it appeared the Bucs were willing to give up more in a deal for Cutler. The Lions have more ammunition than the Bucs and could put together a better deal but it's a question of how many of their resources the Lions want to commit to a trade.

If Cutler shows up at the offseason workouts next Monday and the ill feelings begin to get smoothed over, the possibility of a trade diminishes. If Cutler's attitude toward the organization stays sour -- and he stays away -- the rumors are going to be flying fast and furious.

And there's going to be some truth to a few of them."

==========

Here's the problem:

DET aint dealing away BOTH first round picks... probably not even the 1st pick in this draft... for Cutler

AND... DEN aint trading Cutler for the 20th selection. Not even that pick and Peterson.

Maybe... Maybe... Cutler & Scheffler for Peterson, and we swap picks (our first round & second round selections) and we get their 20th pick.

I just don't see anything happening. DET wont overpay for Cutler, and unless someone overpays for Cutler, DEN wont trade him.

I still have a hard time believing we wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel straight up... without getting at least an extra first rounder. This writer says DET was going to send their 2nd round pick and we would exchange that for MC... PLEASE. Also, that deal w/ Tampa... Where we would get TB's 1st/3rd and we send our first for Cutler.... PLEASE.

I mean, Cassel will make THIRTEEN million dollars more than Cutler next year... Take that salary cap...

All this information... being "leaked" ... is porbably coming from Bill Bellycheat. Who trusts anything from that mouth? He hates the media... is only using it this time... to settle a score with Mcdaniels for stealing Paxton & Gaff... It's all "HE-SAID- SHE SAID" right now... NOBODY knows... everything is from "sources" ... PLEASE. We do not know what happened.

If Mcdaniels says people apporached him, and that he didn't like what he was getting IN ADDITION TO MC... I trust him. I do not trust Bellycheat, and his axe to grind... AND IT IS WORKING. People are falling for it.

People can show me a link... 20 links... EVERYONE has a different take on what happened, and what was offered... You know what? We'll find out soon enough, and I imagine come May... Cutler is still in DEN.
            Tom Killer Kowalski and Mlive are garbage so take what is reported here with a grain of salt
            sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler=Elway View Post
              Trade brings No. 1 overall pick into focus

TELL ME WHERE CURRY FITS SMART ONE? BOOKENDS DIZON IN THE MIDDLE? THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE....JP is making about 6 mill more then CR just thought you should know...He is a 4.5 cap hit to Seattle...He is making almost double a year then Redding but good try.
              lol dizon? he's a benchwarmer as far as I'm concerned. Never heard any high praises about the guy...don't know why you think he's so great lol?

Comment

Originally posted by bronco30 View Post
                my understanding of it is when never had the chance to say no...bcuzz we came in to late n the pats already agreed to send him to KC...my gut feeling is the pats wanted to stick it mcdaniels n they did that n then some...
                Read the Denver Post today, the latest twist is that the Patriots were the one's that started the entire trade talk, tried to force Cassel on us only to have McDaniels say no, Belichick then leaked the story to the Boston Globe and the entire thing exploded. With all that we know about Bill Belichick do you really think that he would turn down a first round pick because he didn't feel the other trade offers were made early enough? Belichick is not ethical, I'm positive he'd back out of a deal at the very last second, even if he already had a preliminary agreement in place, if it meant he could get something better.

As far as Peterson goes, why would we want a guy scheduled to make $8 million dollars this season when he only recorded 5 sacks last year? If we're going to pay that kind of money Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers (under a new contract) make much more sense then Peterson.

Comment

Peterson, #1, #20 and next year's first rounder for Cutler, and only Cutler.

That's the deal, and nothing less.

Anything less than that and I'm pissed. If it is that, well...I'm actually excited.
                  That would be nice i would take peterson #20 and their 2nd rd picks this year and next

Comment

Originally posted by jvw View Post
                    You may have to be pissed, there is no way that Cutler is worth that much. If Jay is traded, imo, the #20 will land him and saying that a 1st will get him is almost stretching it. I know that he has tremendous talent but lets not forget he has a losing record as a starter and not to mention a very poor attitude.

Peterson and a 2nd, or Peterson and their 2 thirds maybe but no way they give up both first rounders for him. You might be able to make an argument that they could give up the #1 over all for him if they were planning on drafting Stafford, why not trade for someone with game experience instead of an unproven rookie.
                    No. Jay Cutler IS worth that much. He is a franchise QB, 25 years old, a perfect fit for pretty much anybody but McDaniels apparently, and he has a rocket arm.

The only reason this team has missed the playoffs the last 2 years was because all of the pressure was on the offense. You don't trade a young Brett Favre like QB for anything less than multiple first round picks.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Botan View Post
                      No. Jay Cutler IS worth that much. He is a franchise QB, 25 years old, a perfect fit for pretty much anybody but McDaniels apparently, and he has a rocket arm.

The only reason this team has missed the playoffs the last 2 years was because all of the pressure was on the offense. You don't trade a young Brett Favre like QB for anything less than multiple first round picks.
                      That rocket arm has diabetes which will envitably shorten his career my friend has diabetes and trust me its a seesaw battle.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyicky420 View Post
                        That rocket arm has diabetes which will envitably shorten his career my friend has diabetes and trust me its a seesaw battle.
                        That won't have anything to do with it. I'm sorry. Teams want to win now, and Cutler can help them do that. Multiple first round picks, or we get ripped off.
                        sigpic

Comment

Multiple first rd picks no one wants that give me there #20 and the rest of there draft #1 overall is too expensive for an unproven player.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyicky420 View Post
                            Multiple first rd picks no one wants that give me there #20 and the rest of there draft #1 overall is too expensive for an unproven player.

While I agree with the last part, people WOULD give up multiple first round picks.

Lets look at a group of teams that would love to have Cutler:

1) Lions #1, #20.
                            2) Bucs
                            3) Vikings
                            4) Bears
                            5) Jets
                            6) Titans
                            7) Panthers ( I don't believe they're happy with Jake Delhomme)

There may be more interested.

You can't tell me that these teams wouldn't get in a bidding war for Jay Cutler.

And by multiple first round draft picks, they could also be picks next year.

We could get a 1st, 2nd this year and a first next year. Or a 1st, 2nd and a very good starter.

As for the # 1 pick that we could get from the lions, we could use on the best and safest defensive player in the whole draft. Aaron Curry. Last year the Vikings traded a mid 1st, and 2 3rd round picks for Jared Allen, a pass rusher. You can't tell me that we could only get a 2nd and a decent starter for Cutler.

Oh and Julius Peppers really wants out of Carolina, and they need to get his huge franchise number off their books. He's also 30 which lessens his value.

1st round pick, Peppers, + a 3rd( at the very least) for Cutler anyone?
                            sigpic

Comment

Julian Peterson is the premier outside linebacker in the NFL.
                              I was also surprised by this move, because he is a different athelete type, compared to Ernie Sims, who I consider unbenchable and untradable. Ernie Sims is a compact freak, while Julian Peterson is the polar oposite, a rangy long limbed freak. In my mind that´s an asymetric aproach to having bookend outside linebackers. I know the popular opinion is that you have to draft player types to contend with the chalenges of which side you are placed on as an outside linebacker, that is bigger and stronger as a strong side linebacker (where the tight-end lines up) or smaller and faster as weak side linebacker (where there is no tight end). But I do think that approach is over-specialized, and you should look for more versatile atheletes at the most athletically chalenging position in football.
                              I must echo Cutler=Elways druthers. It is a weird move.
                              And also kudos to the slant, that they may have picked up Julian Peterson, to then trade him further for something they want. That possibility never occured to me.
                              To the others, #1, #20 and Julian Peterson. That´s a dream. How you can even get yourselves to find negative angles on this, is beyond comprehensible to me. I mean sure you are weighing your options, but geez.
                              mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

Ah...no, I don't think so...........

Originally posted by Cutler=Elway View Post
                                Why would Detroit trade a Beefed up Redding For another OLB? They have Simms, Dizon, and just drafted the undersized DE from Purdue last year who is a speed rusher...

My guess... Peterson, #1, #20 to Denver For Jay and Sheff and our #12...

My buddy in Detroit is saying this over and over again...People are asking why would they Trade a big man up front...(which they need) for a guy in Peterson who is a NOLAN GUY FROM SAN FRAN after they already have that position...HMMMMMMMMMMM!
                                Basically if Denver did make this trade, then they would be even dumber than the Lions...the Seahawks were going to CUT Julian....

The Lions continue to be the laughing stock of the league, apparently it wasn't ALL Millen's fault.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ame-old-lions/

SAME OLD LIONS?
                                Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 7:35 p.m. EDT
                                With multiple reports that the Seattle Seahawks were going to cut linebacker Julian Peterson after he refused a pay cut, the Detroit Lions opted not to wait for the inevitable release of Peterson.

Instead, they packed up a starting defensive lineman and a fifth-round pick in order to inherit the back end of the puffed up contract paid three years ago to Peterson, who’ll be 31 in July.

The move has renewed criticism of the Lions in league circles.

“If you went 0-16 would you trade a pick and a good young player for a 31 year old?” one league source asked us.

(Actually, if we went 0-16, we’d cash in whatever remaining chips we could scrape together and find a new line of business to screw up over an extended period of time.)

We’ve largely forgotten about the Lions because there are no games for them to lose in March, but league insiders still point to the franchise as a shining beacon of pro football ineptitude.

The arrival of former Jags V.P. of player personnel James Harris has done little to improve the front office’s image in league circles.

“[G.M. Martin] Mayhew is bad enough in trying to evaluate talent,” one source opined. “Instead of one guy not knowing what he’s doing now you have two guys doing the same routine.”

In fact, one league insider has been referring to Mayhew and Harris as the “Millen Twins.”

But there’s possibly good news on the horizon. Some league insiders expect that new coach Jim Schwartz will try to make a power play, if he can win at least five or six games in the wake of last year’s humiliating season.

Comment

Working...
                                X