Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MUG, PSU pro day.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MUG, PSU pro day.

    Hey looks like you guys that were down on Maybin due to his forty times after putting on all that weight. should eat their words. i tried to tell you guys that putting all that weight on would take a minute to get used to it. Well he blew up his Pro Day


    Maybin weighed in at 252 and posted 40 times of 4.59 and 4.63.

    http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounder...lowers_40.html
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

  • #2
    I thought he should have never ran at the combine. 25lbs takes some time to get use to, not to mention that it takes a month or two of flexibility exercises so that you are not stiff in the drills.

    I am sure he will look even better in another month if he has personal workouts.

    R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

    Comment


    • #3
      The Penn State track is notoriously fast, just like Ohio State.

      Add .1 - .2 seconds on to all players time.

      You put Everette Brown on the Penn State track, he runs a 4.5. That speed time doesn't fool scouts.



      I have no problem with Aaron Maybin. I just think he's too risky to be a #12 Overall pick, or even 1st Round selection. He played his entire collegiate career at, or just south of, 230 lbs. He's a one year wonder that has no true position. I still think he's a 4-3 OLB like Julian Peterson in the NFL.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
        I thought he should have never ran at the combine. 25lbs takes some time to get use to, not to mention that it takes a month or two of flexibility exercises so that you are not stiff in the drills.

        I am sure he will look even better in another month if he has personal workouts.
        Another thing that makes me happy. Is the fact that he didnt lose any weight in that time frame. Wasnt he 248 at the combine?
        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
        While he sits by his hearth at home.
        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
        That he knows nothing at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
          The Penn State track is notoriously fast, just like Ohio State.

          Add .1 - .2 seconds on to all players time.

          You put Everette Brown on the Penn State track, he runs a 4.5. That speed time doesn't fool scouts.



          I have no problem with Aaron Maybin. I just think he's too risky to be a #12 Overall pick, or even 1st Round selection. He played his entire collegiate career at, or just south of, 230 lbs. He's a one year wonder that has no true position. I still think he's a 4-3 OLB like Julian Peterson in the NFL.
          He is raw there is no denying that i never did. 4.69-4.73 is way to slow for a OLB in a 4-3.

          I think he is a WOLB in a 3-4 due to his size and speed restrictions. He is a great prospect for a team that doesnt require him to play his first year a whole lot.

          Didnt he play in a 3-4 scheme at PSU? i know they run 3-4 atleast part time i am not sure if it is a full time scheme but i know they run it in part.

          My whole contention was that he gained weight. and his forty suffered at the combine. and everyone was wanting to throw him under the bus for it. I cant reemember who it all was but i do remember you not being convinced on him.
          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
          While he sits by his hearth at home.
          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
          That he knows nothing at all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
            He is raw there is no denying that i never did. 4.69-4.73 is way to slow for a OLB in a 4-3.

            I think he is a WOLB in a 3-4 due to his size and speed restrictions. He is a great prospect for a team that doesnt require him to play his first year a whole lot.

            Didnt he play in a 3-4 scheme at PSU? i know they run 3-4 atleast part time i am not sure if it is a full time scheme but i know they run it in part.

            My whole contention was that he gained weight. and his forty suffered at the combine. and everyone was wanting to throw him under the bus for it. I cant reemember who it all was but i do remember you not being convinced on him.

            Oh, I haven't been convinced on him since he declared, as evidenced in my "Predictions" thread. The Combine didn't really mean much to me, everyone knew he was going to show up at 250, he said he would well before the event. I thought his time was ok, not horrific.

            My concern with him is if he can keep the weight on over the course of an entire season. I don't believe he can. Just like Jarvis Moss can't. But Maybin's natural weight is 230, that's not good for a 3-4 OLB. In terms of his quickness and speed, I think that is his strength. He had a solid 10 yard time at the Combine, so the 40 yard didn't really matter much.

            At Penn State he played strong side DE, often lining up over the TE and taking him on. He's a tough player, gives good effort, good leader. All of that.

            My lone concern is the weight and lack of experience. I just think he's too risky for a #12 Overall pick. Now, Late 1st - Mid 2nd, sure, as long as you have time to develop him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
              Oh, I haven't been convinced on him since he declared, as evidenced in my "Predictions" thread. The Combine didn't really mean much to me, everyone knew he was going to show up at 250, he said he would well before the event. I thought his time was ok, not horrific.

              My concern with him is if he can keep the weight on over the course of an entire season. I don't believe he can. Just like Jarvis Moss can't. But Maybin's natural weight is 230, that's not good for a 3-4 OLB. In terms of his quickness and speed, I think that is his strength. He had a solid 10 yard time at the Combine, so the 40 yard didn't really matter much.

              At Penn State he played strong side DE, often lining up over the TE and taking him on. He's a tough player, gives good effort, good leader. All of that.

              My lone concern is the weight and lack of experience. I just think he's too risky for a #12 Overall pick. Now, Late 1st - Mid 2nd, sure, as long as you have time to develop him.
              I really like the three cone drill for LB's as a measurement as well.

              I thought Jared Odrick played the SSDE
              http://cfn.scout.com/2/753711.html

              RE 47 Josh Gaines 6-1 275 Sr
              59 Aaron Maybin 6-4 236 Jr
              44 Kevion Latham 6-2 237 RFr

              Their 4-3 Defensive scheme they had Maybin as the RDE. which i think when they moved to the 3-4 looks they had him at WOLB.

              http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...-released.aspx

              That DC didnt even have him penciled in.

              http://bwi.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp Another site showing him as a RDE.

              I could believe he was a RDE, WOLB, Even a SOLB but a SSDE. man its just hard for me to believe that.

              I just think before you label him as never being able to play at 250something in the pros give him the benefit of the doubt. I have yet to see anywhere that he has had issues gaining weight and loseing it in college. yes he played at 230 something in college. But he is a young guy his weight will settle in another year or so. Especially with Pro trainers.

              But i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
              The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
              While he sits by his hearth at home.
              Quickly finds when questioned by others .
              That he knows nothing at all.

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybin played DE in college, I didn't watch enough to know strongside or not
                but the OSU game and USC game he was def down at DE.


                He got his speed back to where we all thought he should run, good. But that
                still doesn't erase the doubts we have.
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here's another snipit from TFY on the Penn State's Pro Day, they have a few scouts there. They think he's a pure 4-3 DE and does not have the skills to be an OLB. And that's the problem with Maybin, nobody knows where the hell the guy can play.


                  Penn State

                  UPDATE 6:30PM

                  Derek Williams ran significantly faster today than he did at the combine. Williams timed in the high 4.4-second area, almost two-tenths faster than his time in Indianapolis.


                  While Williams caught the ball well in drills scouts have told us Deon Butler looked spectacular. Butler, who sizzled at the combine, did not run the forty today.


                  Aaron Maybin weighed in at 250-pounds today, one more than his combine weight, putting to bed any rumors he lost a lot of weight in an attempt to get his forty time down. And while Maybin ran faster today (4.66-seconds on his second attempt after tripping out of the start on his first run) compared to his combine time, it was not as fast as the 4.59 seconds he was claiming to have run.


                  Scouts said afterwards that feel both Maybin and Maurice Evans will be defensive ends in the NFL and each offer limited potential at outside linebacker.


                  A.Q. Shipley looked very good in drills as did Josh Gaines.

                  UPDATE 12PM

                  The Penn State workout started at 9:30 this morning and the players are now going through position drills. Here are the numbers thus far.

                  Aaron Maybin did not participate in the bench press but ran an unofficial forty time of 4.65-seconds.

                  Maurice Evans completed 22 reps on the bench and ran a forty time in the mid-to-upper 4.7's, significantly better than his time at the combine.

                  Josh Gaines completed 28-reps on the bench while Anthony Scirrotto posted 11 reps. Scirrotto is suffering from a hamstring problem which will slow him down in the forty.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                    The Penn State track is notoriously fast, just like Ohio State.

                    Add .1 - .2 seconds on to all players time.

                    You put Everette Brown on the Penn State track, he runs a 4.5. That speed time doesn't fool scouts.



                    I have no problem with Aaron Maybin. I just think he's too risky to be a #12 Overall pick, or even 1st Round selection. He played his entire collegiate career at, or just south of, 230 lbs. He's a one year wonder that has no true position. I still think he's a 4-3 OLB like Julian Peterson in the NFL.
                    Well said.
                    sigpic


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                      I really like the three cone drill for LB's as a measurement as well.

                      I thought Jared Odrick played the SSDE
                      http://cfn.scout.com/2/753711.html

                      RE 47 Josh Gaines 6-1 275 Sr
                      59 Aaron Maybin 6-4 236 Jr
                      44 Kevion Latham 6-2 237 RFr

                      Their 4-3 Defensive scheme they had Maybin as the RDE. which i think when they moved to the 3-4 looks they had him at WOLB.

                      http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...-released.aspx

                      That DC didnt even have him penciled in.

                      http://bwi.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp Another site showing him as a RDE.

                      I could believe he was a RDE, WOLB, Even a SOLB but a SSDE. man its just hard for me to believe that.

                      I just think before you label him as never being able to play at 250something in the pros give him the benefit of the doubt. I have yet to see anywhere that he has had issues gaining weight and loseing it in college. yes he played at 230 something in college. But he is a young guy his weight will settle in another year or so. Especially with Pro trainers.

                      But i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

                      I was surprised when I read/heard it too. I'm not sure which source I took that information from, I think it was Mayock, but I remember specifically the person discussing how Maybin was very aggressive, and how they would line him up over Tight Ends and how he would take on the Tight Ends and hold his ground. I thought that was pretty impressive news.

                      Thats why I believe he played on the strong side. Its very possible he just played there occasionally.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                        I just think before you label him as never being able to play at 250something in the pros give him the benefit of the doubt. I have yet to see anywhere that he has had issues gaining weight and loseing it in college. yes he played at 230 something in college. But he is a young guy his weight will settle in another year or so. Especially with Pro trainers.

                        But i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
                        Not to claim to speak for MUG or anyone else, but I think this is the crux of the problem. I just don't think that the Broncos have the luxury of letting him settle in, waiting to see. We need someone who can start to contribute, even if in a rotation, on day one. I'd love to take a flyer on someone like Maybin (probably more likely Sidbury or Barwin, since they seem to have more of a position than Maybin at this point), but only after we take someone a bit more of a sure thing first.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                          Not to claim to speak for MUG or anyone else, but I think this is the crux of the problem. I just don't think that the Broncos have the luxury of letting him settle in, waiting to see. We need someone who can start to contribute, even if in a rotation, on day one. I'd love to take a flyer on someone like Maybin (probably more likely Sidbury or Barwin, since they seem to have more of a position than Maybin at this point), but only after we take someone a bit more of a sure thing first.
                          According to the Steelers, all college players need a couple years to "break in" to run an effective 3-4 (or at least theirs).

                          What contributions did we get from Moss and we are heading to year three. Do not draft who you think will be good next year, but for the next 8 yrs.

                          R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                          J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                          R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ok everybody check this out. I am not on the Maybin Hype train. It may have been a little retareded to make a thread about a players weight.

                            To be perfectly honest i dont remember who all was bashing him. and Judging him on a forty time.

                            I never said Maybin was the next Demarcus Ware. or even said that we needed a Jack LB. I have stated that Moss. and Doom get this year to show me something if not trade them next year. Both of them have a real possiblity to play the position. so instead of possibly having three high round picks at the position.

                            I would however really like a SOLB. i think of the LB spots that is probably the biggest need.


                            This WHOLE thread was about a guy that got dinged because he wasnt fast enough at the combine. and when i said that it was most likely due to the added weight. noone wanted to listen. So here i am. Where are they.
                            The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                            While he sits by his hearth at home.
                            Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                            That he knows nothing at all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I thought Maybin's combine was really bad because he looked sluggish at 250
                              not so much for his exact time. From the way it sounds, his positional drills didn't
                              go any better at his Pro Day.
                              Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                              ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X