Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small-School Prospects

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

This article mentions some interesting players that might not even be drafted. We could take a better look at many of them. In 2008 we were able to find great players in the 7th round (Peyton Hillis) and college free agents (Wesley Woodyard).

Greg Toler, CB, St. Paul's College

Toler has already drawn comparisons as a poor man's Rodgers-Cromartie, in part because he plays the same position. Toler (5-11, 185 pounds) is very athletic and fast and has good ball skills. He will work out at the University of Richmond Pro Day this Friday and a good showing could greatly enhance his draft status. He was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but early reports suggest he is likely a mid-to-late round draft pick.

Jamall Lee, RB, Bishop's College

This Canadian standout has drawn a lot of attention, especially after blazing a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the Canadian Football League combine earlier this month. It was the fastest 40 ever run at the CFL combine. What has made NFL scouts take notice is that Lee, son of CFL running back Orville Lee, is 6-1, 225 pounds. There are concerns about his ability to compete against NFL competition, even though he dominated in one of the higher level Canadian college leagues. He played out of a spread offense on a wide field, where he has more room to operate. Still, his speed and evasiveness is not being overlooked and his agent said he has some interviews lined up with NFL teams. Lee's YouTube highlight reel is, at the very least, entertaining.

Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois

A highly productive collegian and Buck Buchanan Award finalist, Williams was dynamic enough to earn his way onto scouting reports. However, the 6-1, 240 pounder generated a buzz when he clocked a series of sub-4.5 40s at Northwestern's pro day. He is viewed as an outside linebacker, but is also athletic enough to move inside in a 3-4 scheme. He already has workouts/interviews arranged with some teams. He is a non-combine invitee that is projected to be drafted.

Vaughn Martin, DL, Western Ontario

This is the out-of-nowhere mystery prospect. At 6-3, 331 pounds, Martin has all the measurables and much of the athleticism to get recognized, but he didn't win multiple accolades or get invited to some of the postseason showcase games or events. The one-time Michigan State recruit, who never set foot on campus and played in Canada, is so confident in his ability to land in the NFL that he left Western Ontario with eligibility remaining to declare for the draft.

"I'm raw but I am extremely athletic" Martin said. "I am bigger than most of the guys already playing those positions (along the defensive line) and I'm tough. With me, you get a blank canvas to mold into whatever you want to mold me into."

Martin recently held a workout in Windsor, Ontario, across the border from Detroit. A handful of teams attended. One scout who watched his film said Martin is athletic but doesn't dominate consistently. Still, he is an intriguing prospect. If he doesn't get drafted, Canadian rules allow prospects who declare early for the NFL draft to return.

"I have no intention of doing that," Martin said.
    sigpic

Jamal Lee woot woot.. Canadian prospect.. respect!

Comment

Just an update about some of these guys' Pro Day:

Vaughn Martin (potential NT)

bench press: 33
      40-yard dash: 5.00
      10-yard dash: 1.68
      3-cone drill: 7.28

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=DT

Jason Williams (potential ILB, but is more suited as a 4-3 OLB)

bench press: 26
      40-yard dash: 4.49 (wow) + "Hit as low as 4.44 40-yard dash at Northwestern Pro day."
      10-yard dash: 1.49

This guy's stock is certainly on the rise...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...009&genpos=OLB
      sigpic

Comment

So Sad! Prospect Holds Pro Day and Only One NFL Team Shows Up!

This really made me feel bad for this kid. I guess not everybody can get drafted, but Ball State was a really good team this year and I think they owed a lot of their success to Davis. I'm not sure he'd make a good NFL QB, but nobody even seems interested in giving him a shot.

What if they held a pro day and nobody came? Such was nearly the fate of early exiting Ball State quarterback Nate Davis on Friday, when only the Indianapolis Colts showed up to watch him throw to various Cardinal receivers on BSU's home field, and that probably only because it wasn't much of a drive for them. For Nate's sake, I hope the Colts liked what they saw as much as the local Muncie Star Press and mentor Steve DeBerg: Davis' stock is apparently plummeting, from day one possibility to late-round afterthought due to his size, Ball State's shotgun-based offense and ball security issues (he has a weird grip on the ball and fumbled multiple times in both of BSU's season-ending losses to Buffalo and Tulsa).

So they have doubts about the kid. Isn't that the guy you want to take an extra look at? Even if you pull an Andre Smith at your workout, no fate can be worse than being ignored.
        http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,149836

Comment

wow, must be a horrible feeling.

Kind of reminds me of the guy who was traded for bats last year (who has now died).
          sigpic

Comment

I had a Pro day on Friday too, at the local Community College, no one showed.
            Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
              I had a Pro day on Friday too, at the local Community College, no one showed.
              I thought I saw someone on the field throwing the Ball to a patch of grass about 14 yards away. You had some nice footwork my little cousins flag football team couldn't find a QB to save their lives last year I'll put in a good word for you. :salute!:
              Hey Fisherman Heres ans awesome website with tons of info and Forums www.Coloradofisherman.comApril Fools

Comment

kinda reminds me of the RB from Chadron State Danny Woodhead that set all those NCAA all-time, all-division rushing records,* and TV followed his will-I-get-picked-last? saga on the last day of the 2008 draft.

*Since broken last Dec by Mt Union RB Nate Kmic.
                Last edited by Sequence; 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                  This really made me feel bad for this kid. I guess not everybody can get drafted, but Ball State was a really good team this year and I think they owed a lot of their success to Davis. I'm not sure he'd make a good NFL QB, but nobody even seems interested in giving him a shot.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,149836
                  Well he got more teams to attend his pro day than any of ours.

:salute!:
                  sigpicThanks to Freyaka for the sick Sig pic!!

Comment

I wouldnt mind taking him. He excelled at a rather small school. Late round guy, that I think will be better than Chris Simms or Hackney as a good backup.
                    sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Working...
                    X