A Look at our Defense right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look at our Defense right now.

Denver's Defense was terrible last year and while giving credit to Mike Shanahan for building a Great Offense , he did build a equaly Terrible Defense.

Looking at the current Roster Denver does still have some glaring needs at Defense. NT and Rush LB I think are the Biggest needs.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

DE----Marcus Thomas - 6'3" 305lbs - Thomas should be a very good starter at DE - Backups - Nic Clemons 6'6" 300lbs and Mathias Askew - 6'5" 302lbs.

NT----Ron Fields - 6'2" 315lbs - Fields isn't a true NT and should be Backup. - Backup - J'Vonne Parker - 6'4" 325lbs

DE----Kenny Peterson - 6'3" 300lbs - Peterson should be a very good starter at DE. Backup - Carlton Powel - 6'3" 300lbs and Ryan McBean - 6'5" 290lbs.

ILB----Andra Davis - 6'1" 250lbs - Starter Backup - Spencer Larsen 6'2" 240lbs

ILB----DJ Williams - 6'1" 240lbs - Starter -Backup ???

OLB----Boss Bailey - 6'3" 232lbs (Status uncertain) - Backup Wesley Woodyard - 6'1" 230lbs

OLB----Elvis Dumervil 5'11" 260lbs(Never Played LB ) - Backup Louis Green 6'3" 237lbs.

CB----Champ Bailey 6'0" 192lbs STARTER - Backups - Josh Bell 5'11" 177lbs

CB----Andre Goodman 5'10" 190lbs Starter - Backups- Jack Williams 5'9" 189lbs

Free Safety----BRIAN DAWKINS - 6'0" 210lbs -Starter Backup - Vernon Fox 5'10" 203lbs

Strong Safety----Renaldo Hill - 5'11" 205lbs -Starter - Backup - Josh Barrett 6'2" 225lbs.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Players who really don't fit 3-4 Defense.

1. Tim Crowder 6'4" 275lbs
    2. Jarvis Moss 6'6" 260lbs
    3. Elvis Dumervil 5'11" 260lbs

Denver's most glaring need is NT , OLB , ILB , CB.

The Players who I believe will make the most Impact in the Draft.

1. BJ Raji - 6'2" 330lbs - Best NT in the Draft

2. Aaron Maybin - 6'4" 249lbs - 12 Sacks last year and is only a redshirt Freshman who should continue to get better. Had Outstanding Pro Day 4.71 / 4.64 Forty.

3. Connor Barwin - 6'4" 256lbs - 11 Sacks last year. Ran a Sub- 4.5 Forty at ProDay.

4. Clay Mathews Jr - 6'3" 240lbs - Very solid OLB with not much downside.

5. Lawerence Sidbury Jr. - 6'3" 266lbs - Big OLB 4.57 Forty and 28 Reps on The Bench. Sidbury would be a great trade down in the 1st selection.

My question would be after looking at our DE's on the roster I don't think it is as big of a need as NT/OLB/ILB/CB/S.

I think Marcus Thomas and Kenny Peterson should be very solid starters!!

crowder needs to either bulk up or slim down and hope he gets faster. moss and dumervil fit OLB more then they fit DE, if anything. woodyard (and idk about bailey) definatly doesn't fit OLB. at all. so unless he somehow developed monster pass rushing skills and gained at least 20 pounds over the offseason, hes either gonna play SS or WILB.

and btw, STOP WITH THE PICTURES ALREADY WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND POSTING ALL THOSE PICTURES ISN'T HELPING ANYONE
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Denver needs to go after Brian Orakpo first!!!(find a way) I love Connor Barwin in your picks. Got the size and speed, going to be a steal

Comment

Well, has Peterson or Thomas ever played DE? Or more importantly a 3-4 DE?

You, me, or any other posters have no idea how good your 4-3 players will be
        in a 3-4 defense. Maybe Jarvis Moss shows up to camp killing it on the standing
        pass rush, maybe D.J. doesn't read plays right for the 3-4 (doubtful), maybe
        Larsen proves to be a great 3-4 ILB. We don't know.

It's the same here in KC right now, we aren't sure how guys will learn the new
        position. It's all speculation.
        Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp View Post
          Well, has Peterson or Thomas ever played DE? Or more importantly a 3-4 DE?

You, me, or any other posters have no idea how good your 4-3 players will be
          in a 3-4 defense. Maybe Jarvis Moss shows up to camp killing it on the standing
          pass rush, maybe D.J. doesn't read plays right for the 3-4 (doubtful), maybe
          Larsen proves to be a great 3-4 ILB. We don't know.

It's the same here in KC right now, we aren't sure how guys will learn the new
          position. It's all speculation.
          thx for the input, i have been interested in how the chiefs transition to the 3-4 is going. Whats gonna happen with Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Halli?

BTW, Broncosfansd...i am just as confident in DOOM and Moss making the transition to 3-4 OLB than i would be with Maybin (i think maybin has a pretty high bust probability)

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
            thx for the input, i have been interested in how the chiefs transition to the 3-4 is going. Whats gonna happen with Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Halli?

BTW, Broncosfansd...i am just as confident in DOOM and Moss making the transition to 3-4 OLB than i would be with Maybin (i think maybin has a pretty high bust probability)
            I'm not real sure.

Dorsey isn't a 3-4 player, he is a true 1 gap DT that creates pressure making
            him useless in a 3-4. Tamba is an undersized run stuffing DE good for RDE in
            a 4-3 but too small for a 3-4.

Luckily I think we are running the 3-4/4-3 hybrid Ari. did last year meaning we
            need and UT (Under Tackle) that is closer to a 1 gap DT (Dockett for AZ.) and
            we'll need 4-3 3-4 DE tweeners, about what Hali is.

But it's just like with Denver, we don't know what is going to happen yet, only I
            think using the hybrid system from Zona we might be able to use our players that
            don't fit a true 3-4 better.

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

I'm not real sure.

Dorsey isn't a 3-4 player, he is a true 1 gap DT that creates pressure making
              him useless in a 3-4. Tamba is an undersized run stuffing DE good for RDE in
              a 4-3 but too small for a 3-4.

Luckily I think we are running the 3-4/4-3 hybrid Ari. did last year meaning we
              need and UT (Under Tackle) that is closer to a 1 gap DT (Dockett for AZ.) and
              we'll need 4-3 3-4 DE tweeners, about what Hali is.

But it's just like with Denver, we don't know what is going to happen yet, only I
              think using the hybrid system from Zona we might be able to use our players that
              don't fit a true 3-4 better.
              Sounds pretty familiar...lol
              Hopefully both teams succeed (and the chargers fail horribly) and we can return to the real rivalry in the AFC West:salute!:

Comment

Sounds pretty familiar...lol
                Hopefully both teams succeed (and the chargers fail horribly) and we can return to the real rivalry in the AFC West:salute!:
                That would be ideal.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind seeing the Raider get better as long as SD goes back
                down to where they belong.

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

That would be ideal.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind seeing the Raider get better as long as SD goes back
                  down to where they belong.
                  Yeah, i've always loved the chiefs game. No matter what either teams record is its always a good game...Plus when i look at the chiefs roster i dont think "man what a bunch of d-bags"...cant say the same about the chargers...lol

Comment

Andra Davis is not a starter.

The end.

Comment

Originally posted by housemouse View Post

The end.
                      Based on what, who is gonna start in the middle?

He might not be given the starting job, but he will certainly be in competition for it. He is a solid 3-4 ILB

Comment

Based on what, who is gonna start in the middle?

He might not be given the starting job, but he will certainly be in competition for it. He is a solid 3-4 ILB
                        He sucks. Go on the Cleveland forums. EVERY MEMBER IS THANKFUL THAT HE'S GONE.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                          crowder needs to either bulk up or slim down and hope he gets faster. moss and dumervil fit OLB more then they fit DE, if anything. woodyard (and idk about bailey) definatly doesn't fit OLB. at all. so unless he somehow developed monster pass rushing skills and gained at least 20 pounds over the offseason, hes either gonna play SS or WILB.

and btw, STOP WITH THE PICTURES ALREADY WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND POSTING ALL THOSE PICTURES ISN'T HELPING ANYONE
                          speak for yourself, i didnt know who the fifth guy was. And besides, it not hurting anyone.
                          sigpic

Comment

It is obvious that Denver needs to add 3 ro 4 LB's in this Draft.

Mathews , Barwin , Brinkley would be my 3.

I think that both Marcus Thomas and Kenny Peterson can man the DE position. Peterson was resigned by McDaniels who obviously thinks the same thing!!! DE's in 3-4 Defense are ball all accounts Big DT's who clog the middle. I think both should do well.

Comment

Originally posted by housemouse View Post

The end.
                              the man is a solid football player

we arent asking him to be the best linebacker in corp thats why we have DJ Williams

Andra is a beast inside a tackling machine he looks motivated too so that could improve his play even more

man oh man i still cant believe we signed Niko Koutivides last year like what the heck where they thinking now he was not a starter

Comment

Working...
                              X