No announcement yet.

Henry Melton (DE) Texas - Pro Day Results.....WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take Michael Huff at S right here and right now, Renaldo Hill is not a long-term answer and should probably be a backup, Huff has a much brighter future, imo.

Huff's struggles is a complete mystery to me.......I thought he was going to be a good one, every bit as good as Griffin has turned out to be for Tennessee. Every time I watched Texas Huff was making big plays. I think he's a talented player stuck is a bad situation until proven otherwise.

As for Texas players, the longhorns get some great talent, but from what I've read, teams think they run a very laid back program with a Country Club atmosphere and it takes players a while to adjust to a pro atmosphere.......some of them never do.

If this is true, Mack Brown needs to realize that he's not doing his players any favors.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
      As for Texas players, the longhorns get some great talent, but from what I've read, teams think they run a very laid back program with a Country Club atmosphere and it takes players a while to adjust to a pro atmosphere.......some of them never do.

If this is true, Mack Brown needs to realize that he's not doing his players any favors.......
      That could be it. Players could get lazy and used to the half-assing they have to do down in Texas.
      Vince Young seems to be the perfect example of that.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        That could be it. Players could get lazy and used to the half-assing they have to do down in Texas.
        Vince Young seems to be the perfect example of that.
        Especially Vince Young, he's never faced much adversity and he didn't handle it well when he got booed.......I still think he'll be fine, he's just got a long way to go to be the player that people thought he'd be.......

Comment

Originally posted by DimiHorn View Post
          He had a good season opposite Orakpo. But man....this is an impressive workout for a man his size.

This is being reported by Orangebloods.com

Henry Melton

6'3"

270 lbs.

40 yard dash - 4.58 (Yes....that is 4.58).

Vertical Jump - 36.5" - at 270 lbs.

Broad Jump - 10'1"

Bench Press - 23 reps

This kid just made himslef some jack.

His college numbers won't look that great but keep in mind he only played DE for two years. His first two seasons were at HB.....where one season he scored 10 TD's.

Dimi
          I was angry when they tuned him to a DE (I live in Austin and am a UT fan). Watching him as a freshman I though he could've been the next Jerome Bettis or Brandon Jacobs.

Comment

For the high selections and big names they come out with, not too many of those players have ever lived up the hype. Being an ok or decent player doesn't really count for a majority of them.

Leonard Davis - Flopped in Arizona and is playing alright in Dallas, though still nothing spectacular given the reputation he had coming out.
            Cedric Griffin - Solid player, better tackler than he is cover corner though, not that much different from Dominique Foxworth.
            Michael Griffin - I'll give you him, he's a solid player. Ten times better than Michael Huff.
            Quinten Jammer - Has this guy ever made the Pro Bowl? I don't remember, but either way, as a 5th overall selection, he should have made many by now. Right?
            Ricky Williams (pre dope & is doing well now). - Solid. But considering the price the Saints paid to get the guy, ehh, I'll give him a pass though,
            Roy Williams - What? He's had like one solid year and has done NOTHING since then. This will be an interesting year though since he'll mainly be the number 1 target. We'll get a good read on him in about 9 months,
            Shaun Rodgers - He's had his ups and downs, but there is no doubt that when he does bring it, he has the ability. I give him credit though, he's atleast made a few Pro Bowls.
            Casey Hampton - Good player, yes.
            Derrick Johnson - Okay. He's like Dj Williams, solid, but probably a bit overrated by home town fans.
            Brian Robison - Who? I don't know who this guy is, but judging by his stats, which can be misleading, I don't know what to say about this guy. I didn't know he was a "name."
            Ahmad Hall - A FB? Fine, you get this.
            Bo Scaife - Solid, nothing spectacular though.
            Tony Brackens - Had maybe one or two really, really good years, so I don't know. He was a very solid player.

Jammal Charles - A little too early.
            Tim Crowder - Bust thus far. Sorry, most Denver fans don't want to admit it, but he's been nothing.
            Terrell Brown - Too early.
            Jermichael Finley - Too early.
            Vince Young (It was three years ago he way ROY and in the pro bowl) - Yes and what exactly has he done since? If you can't beat out a 35+ year old journey man QB, that's saying something.

Mike Williams - Giant flop.
            Marcus Tubbs - Flop.
            Bryan Westbrook (injuries played a big part). - Flopped either way.
            Cedric Benson - Huge flop.
            Michael Huff - Flop.
            Frank Okam - Maybe it's too early, but wasn't he another talented "had talent to be" a first rounder? He sure slipped.

-------------------------

I don't know man, for all the big names and 5-star studs these guys recruit every year, there's not exactly a boat load of perennial Pro Bowlers.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Leonard Davis - Flopped in Arizona and is playing alright in Dallas, though still nothing spectacular given the reputation he had coming out. I believe he has been in the Pro Bowl the last two years. Regardless, now that he is playing guard he is a force.
            Cedric Griffin - Solid player, better tackler than he is cover corner though, not that much different from Dominique Foxworth. For where he was drafted he is solid and getting better.
            Michael Griffin - I'll give you him, he's a solid player. Ten times better than Michael Huff.
            Quinten Jammer - Has this guy ever made the Pro Bowl? I don't remember, but either way, as a 5th overall selection, he should have made many by now. Right? - He is a very good corner. Pro Bowls are not a really good measuring stick. See Fred Taylor.
            Ricky Williams (pre dope & is doing well now). - Solid. But considering the price the Saints paid to get the guy, ehh, I'll give him a pass though, Can't blame the player because the team was stupid. Did Hershal Walker live up to what Minnesota gave up? Ricky got dumb with the weed. But he also had a 1700yrd season and a rushing title.
            Roy Williams - What? He's had like one solid year and has done NOTHING since then. This will be an interesting year though since he'll mainly be the number 1 target. We'll get a good read on him in about 9 months, He was stuck in NFL purgatory since he was drafted. There is no denying the talent Roy has. He will blow up this season.
            Shaun Rodgers - He's had his ups and downs, but there is no doubt that when he does bring it, he has the ability. I give him credit though, he's atleast made a few Pro Bowls.
            Casey Hampton - Good player, yes. Great NT. Period.
            Derrick Johnson - Okay. He's like Dj Williams, solid, but probably a bit overrated by home town fans. He is better than DJ.
            Brian Robison - Who? I don't know who this guy is, but judging by his stats, which can be misleading, I don't know what to say about this guy. I didn't know he was a "name." Drafted 4th or 5th round.......any production is good.
            Ahmad Hall - A FB? Fine, you get this. Undrafted FA......one of the better FB's in the league.
            Bo Scaife - Solid, nothing spectacular though. Solid...yes.
            Tony Brackens - Had maybe one or two really, really good years, so I don't know. He was a very solid player.
            Cedric Dockery - Very good interior lineman.
            Justin Blalock - He is very good and getting better. His star is on the rise.
            Corey Redding - Was stuck in Detroit but still managed to play well. He is finally out so we will get to see what he has.
            Aaron Ross - Very good CB for the Giants.

Jammal Charles - A little too early.
            Tim Crowder - Bust thus far. Sorry, most Denver fans don't want to admit it, but he's been nothing. I want to see him this season but if he makes no improvement I'm willing to move him to the "flop" category.
            Terrell Brown - Too early.
            Jermichael Finley - Too early.
            Vince Young (It was three years ago he way ROY and in the pro bowl) - Yes and what exactly has he done since? If you can't beat out a 35+ year old journey man QB, that's saying something. If your willing to throw the towel in on him already your crazy. He will get his chance again.....I'm reserving judgement till then.
            Chris Simms - I'm adding him here. He looked like he was coming around until his spleen exploded. I hope we don't have to see him in a starting role....at least for a while.
            Jonathan Scott - Working his way into a starting position. I think this is the year he starts.

Mike Williams - Giant flop. HUGE FLOP....
            Marcus Tubbs - Flop. Injuries played a part in this....regardless FLOP.
            Bryan Westbrook (injuries played a big part). - Flopped either way. Yep.
            Cedric Benson - Huge flop. But....there is still hope......he is still playing.
            Michael Huff - Flop. I disagree. To early to tell. He has been in a terrible situation.
            Frank Okam - Maybe it's too early, but wasn't he another talented "had talent to be" a first rounder? He sure slipped. Drafted in the 4th......I think we need to see him for a year or two more.

You have to be careful when you judge a players performance on Pro Bowls.....

Dimi
            Last edited by DimiHorn; 03-26-2009, 10:21 AM.
            BRONCO FANATIC IN TEXAS

Comment

Originally posted by turtle18 View Post
              longhorns are gay.

gig em.
              Interesting comment coming from someone that supports a school with a "tradition" of squeezing their testicles while in nuts-to-butts formation on national tv.

squeeze, ags

Comment

Originally posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
                I was angry when they tuned him to a DE (I live in Austin and am a UT fan). Watching him as a freshman I though he could've been the next Jerome Bettis or Brandon Jacobs.
                Melton had little RB instinct and ran with too high of a pad level. Remember when he tried to dive for the corner against tOSU instead of just plowing through the DB? I wish he could have had more time at DE - but he probably wanted to be a RB...at least until he figured out he wouldn't see the field on that side of the ball.

Comment

Melton was never going to be a good RB. Too much tip toe for a guy his size.

Dimi
                  BRONCO FANATIC IN TEXAS

Comment

Longhorns always flop.
                    Right....

Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Roy Williams, Shaun Rodgers, Leonard Davis, Casey Hampton, Nathan Vasher, Aaron Ross, Derrick Dockery, Cedric Griffin, Ahmard Hall, Tony Hills, Quentin Jammer, Derrick Johnson, Bo Scaife, Lyle Sendlein, Michael Griffin, Justin Blalock...

Just to name a few. And all of these guys except Earl are CURRENT STARTERS and many of them Pro Bowlers.

Give me a break.

Comment

Originally posted by mtn_horn View Post
                      Interesting comment coming from someone that supports a school with a "tradition" of squeezing their testicles while in nuts-to-butts formation on national tv.

squeeze, ags
                      Beat me to it

Comment

Working...
                      X