Say No to Larry English!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say No to Larry English!!!

I keep seeing people on this forum picking Larry English with our 12th or 18th Pick in the draft. I find this hard to REDICULOUS!!!!!!!! And it won't happen. Here is why.

Reason #1.[/B]-Outside linebackers should be able to drop into pass coverage, rush the passer or read and react. English is very Slow at 4.82 forty at the combine. I know he ran a little faster but it was on a Rubber track. The Knock on English is he doesn't change directions as fluidily as teams who operate a 3-4 Defense would prefer.

Say Denver is playing The Chargers and he has to cover Darren Sproles out of the backfield , this is a matchup NIGHTMARE. Heck DJ Williams who runs alot faster has trouble keeping up with Sproles. English has NO CHANCE.

Say English has to cover Antonio Gates. With his slow forty and lack of fluid hips I think this is another MATCHUP NIGHTMARE. English has NO CHANCE.

Reason #2 - Clay Mathews - is rated the 2nd Best OLB by Mike Mayock should be available at 12 or 18. He ran a 4.62 forty at The Combine and faster at his ProDay. His cone drill , broad jump and shuttle blew English's away. And the raves at his ProDay that he ran every drill over(where English stood by his combine drills scores) were the most fluid and scouts came away saying he is the best LB of the 3 USC LB's.

On top of everything Mathews was a OLB , where English was a DE who would have to learn the position from scratch.

Reason #3 - Connor Barwin - 6'4" 256lbs is rated the #4 OLB by Nfldraftscout.com. He ran a 4.59 and his numbers were off the charts. He had the same Sack Total as English but is Bigger 2 inches taller , Faster in every drill and is more fluid.

I would love to see him do this to Philip Rivers!!!!!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

So to think that Denver is going to draft Larry English at 12 or 18 is REDICULOUS!!!! Maybe in the 2nd Round , Pat Kirwan of NFL.com has him going 44th to Miami in the 2nd Round.

I am tired of reading about a the slowest OLB/DE hybrid at our pick #12 or #18.

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree!!!

why......did i know before opening this thread that it would be about english's slow 40 time? let me clue you in we need a FOOTBALL PLAYER on our team, not a track runner. larry english won't post the combine numbers you'd want, but at least he produces the numbers that actually matter. i personally wouldn't take him with the 18th pick, but at least find a better way to critisize him other then his 40 time.

and btw, i know i've complained about the pictures before, but in this thread i felt like i was reading a picture book.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

I could live with Clay Matthews and Jarron Gilbert (or P-Jerry). Not too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
        I could live with Clay Matthews and Jarron Gilbert (or P-Jerry). Not too shabby.

Thank god somebody who has a clue.

Linebackers have to cover RB's and TE's also besides rushing the passer. English couldn't cover me out of the backfield. Ran 4.7 in High School!!!

And why draft the Slowest , lower ranked player when Bigger and Faster Players are available????

Bill Parcells - Draft the Biggest , Fastest Players ALWAYS!!!

Comment

Barwin isnt worthy of a 1st rd pick. The guy only played for a season. So bc of a year played and a really good combine thats supposed to make him am 1st rd pick? Im sorry, no, i dont but that. Barwin in the 2nd is the earliest id take him.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
            Barwin isnt worthy of a 1st rd pick. The guy only played for a season. So bc of a year played and a really good combine thats supposed to make him am 1st rd pick? Im sorry, no, i dont but that. Barwin in the 2nd is the earliest id take him.

OK
            Pat Kirwan has New England drafting Connor Barwin with the #34th pick in the draft.

Connor Barwin rated 1-2 round by nfldraftscout.com

Larry English rated 2nd round only.

Connor Barwin is 6'4" 256lbs Ran a 4.59 Forty and Blew English's times in every catagory!!!

Before drafting Larry English at OLB.

Give me

1. Clay Mathews
            2. Connor Barwin
            3. Brian Cushing
            4. Robert Ayers
            5. Lawerence Sidbury

I would bet that all 5 players will be selected before Larry English!!! Sidbury being the closest call.

Comment

Broncosfansd, I agree with you completely. I dont think English is a good OLB, and I'm not sold on Mathews either. Connor Barwin on the other hand is someone i could get excited about.

He had better stats than English even though he had never played the position before this year. Also because of his experience on offense i think he will do very well in coverage situations! He might be a bit of a reach at 18, but i hope somehow he ends up a Bronco:salute!:

Comment

I like Matthews, but English is a player, and he will be a great OLB in the NFL.
                sigpic
                Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by broncofansd View Post
                  OK
                  Pat Kirwan has New England drafting Connor Barwin with the #34th pick in the draft.

Connor Barwin rated 1-2 round by nfldraftscout.com

Larry English rated 2nd round only.

Connor Barwin is 6'4" 256lbs Ran a 4.59 Forty and Blew English's times in every catagory!!!

Before drafting Larry English at OLB.

Give me

1. Clay Mathews
                  2. Connor Barwin
                  3. Brian Cushing
                  4. Robert Ayers
                  5. Lawerence Sidbury

I would bet that all 5 players will be selected before Larry English!!! Sidbury being the closest call.

I never said anything about wanting English. I just said I dont want Barwin in the 1st. Id tkae Cushing Matthews Ayers before. Then it should be a debate between English and Barwin. Bc someone runs a slow 40 does not imply their slow on the field.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by berlownacyo7s
                    shut up broncofansd, everything in the world does not depend on 40 times. we all know you have a man crush on Connor Barwin.

Obviously you can't read.

1. Clay Mathews - OLB has played LB and is excellent Player
                    2. Connor Barwin - Is bigger , faster and is better in every catagory than English
                    3. Brian Cushing - just is better than English
                    4. Robert Ayers - Bigger than English and Faster and is rated #5 player in Draft by Mayock
                    5. Lawerence Sidbury - Bigger , Faster , Stronger and just as productive.

Hmmm Do you want a Player who is SMALLER, SLOWER and WEAKER????

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                      I never said anything about wanting English. I just said I dont want Barwin in the 1st. Id tkae Cushing Matthews Ayers before. Then it should be a debate between English and Barwin. Bc someone runs a slow 40 does not imply their slow on the field.

Are they magically going to get faster on the field???? Sorry but poor argument

Comment

Are they magically going to get faster on the field???? Sorry but poor argument
                        Um no the 40 argument is poor. I can give you countless names who had very fast 40 times who blew in nfl. Like last yer Vernon Gholston. The list goes on and on.
                        sigpic

Comment

Obviously you can't read.

1. Clay Mathews - OLB has played LB and is excellent Player
                          2. Connor Barwin - Is bigger , faster and is better in every catagory than English
                          3. Brian Cushing - just is better than English
                          4. Robert Ayers - Bigger than English and Faster and is rated #5 player in Draft by Mayock
                          5. Lawerence Sidbury - Bigger , Faster , Stronger and just as productive.

Hmmm Do you want a Player who is SMALLER, SLOWER and WEAKER????
                          1.clay mathews has started something like 4 games in college
                          2. connor barwin (although i like him personall) is TE who had ONE good year as a DE
                          3. cushing played on a USC team where everyone is overrated by default
                          4. ayers according to many won't even be able to play OLB
                          5. sidbury came from a small school and had way less production then english

i don't think english is better then all of those players, but just because he isn't "bigger, faster, stronger" doesn't mean anything.

you want measurables? heres one to toss around. james harrison-2008 defensive player of the year-5'11 feet tall, 242 pounds, ran a 4.85 40. hows that for the best defender in 2008? but despite his numbers, im sure you'd happily trade him plus some picks for connor barwin.
                          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

What I was saying with this post is that Denver isn't going to draft Larry English with it's 12th or 18th Pick when there are numerous players who are rated higher by NFL SCOUTS(who get paid to do it).

Clay Mathews already a LB at USC is faster and more fluid and scores better in every catagory.

Connor Barwin is BIGGER , Rated higher , and had the best Combine times.

Brian Cushing is Faster and has experience at LB.

Robert Ayers is almost 20lbs heavier and is faster.

Larry English is a 2nd Round Player and is the slowest OLB/DE hybrid available.

Sorry Pass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Is my opinion more valuable if I type in bold every friggin time I post?
                              sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Working...
                              X