Mock 4/5/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not even gonna try a mock

Anybody who has even half a football brain knows how badly we need defense in this draft. But will McD try to build a strong D or just settle for trying to build an overpowering O? Without a doubt our first pick should go on D. Maybye Raji or cushing? Who ever we draft I know that at some point we need a WR. I am not sold on Gaffney, Marshall should be suspended and as much as I like Royal, I don't think he can take the abuse of the #1 spot. And besides that we could always use some depth. At what point in the draft should we grab a WR and who do you think we should grab? My guy is Patrick Turner from USC. At 6'5" he would be a force in the red zone. he catches everything thrown his way too. His down side is lack of speed (4.6 area) I would love Percy Harvin From Fla. But he is a strech. Ideas???

Comment

I like Aaron Kelly from Clemson as a late round WR

6'5" Tall 204lbs

38" vertical jump 4.53 40yd

Analysis
      Positives: Rare height. Uses his size to shield defenders from the ball effectively, especially on quick slants. Good leaping ability and can time his leaps well to defeat defenders in good position to make a play on the ball. Flashes good agility and elusiveness for a player of his height. Can make defenders miss in the open field and generate positive yardage after the catch. Generally reliable hands. Can stretch to make the dramatic catch outside of his frame. Experienced as a punt and kick returner.

Negatives: Long-strider with build-up speed and agility. Not quick enough to make defenders miss in small areas. Not as physically dominant as his size would indicate. Too often allows ball to get into his chest, resulting in some drops. Can get alligator arms when he thinks he's going to take a hit. May have been the fortunate recipient of defenses focusing their attention on stopping Clemson's ground game.
      I think with the leadership of Stokley and Royal(yes Royal) this kid could get more physical and work on his speed.

I wouldn't expect him to make an immediate impact but a good late pick who could develop for a year and play on ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
        Too early, ILB is one of our lower needs on defense (after every other position but corner and maybe safety), and Laurinaitis is a 4-3 Mike.
        U think our 2nd rd pick is too early for Sintim? I'm confused to what your saying. I don't think we should address ILB early.

Comment

not through the draft, i guarantee you that if we draft a rookie wideout he'll be lucky to have half the numbers royal did last year, especially if its a later pick. i do agree we should start grooming either a slot of a daunte stallworth type guy since stokleys getting a bit old.

but now that we have a "system qb" instead of a gunslinger, im putting my money on royal to have a better year then marshall suspension or not.
          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
            not through the draft, i guarantee you that if we draft a rookie wideout he'll be lucky to have half the numbers royal did last year, especially if its a later pick. i do agree we should start grooming either a slot of a daunte stallworth type guy since stokleys getting a bit old.

but now that we have a "system qb" instead of a gunslinger, im putting my money on royal to have a better year then marshall suspension or not.
            See I think Royal is best fit in the slot in this system due to size and speed. Wes Welker made the pro bowl as a slot in this offense.

Comment

RB in the first and a wideout late in the draft, not exactly orginal and offense heavy you know.....but i still like it for the defensive side. i don't think we'll get gilbert in the third though.
              disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCrushX View Post
                See I think Royal is best fit in the slot in this system due to size and speed. Wes Welker made the pro bowl as a slot in this offense.
                and steve smith has 4 pro bowl appearences and multiple all pro selections. i don't think people should automatically think hes a slot guy just because of his size. i'd be ok with it if he was officially our number 2 guy but just moved inside in 3 reciever formations (similary to what bly did on efense) but if we can only have two recievers on the field, i'll take royal and marshall over gaffney and marshall any day.

plus we still have the slot machine.

Comment

Knowshon is the most overrated first round player in this draft.

Lauranitis is a lightweight LB. No thanks.

Comment

Bad Denver Mock. I hate both picks.

NT and OLB are Denver's 2 Biggest needs. Ask Mark Schlereff , he said Denver must get a NT. He said that is the teams biggest need. He said we have a bunch of Backups on the DLine.

OLB - Who do we have??? Boss Bailey(severe Knee injury and never healthy) , Elvis Dumervil(5'11" 260lbs DE who never played OLB) and Jarvis Moss( a bust at DE so lets pray he turns into James Harrison at OLB. Not likely).

Comment

Originally posted by broncofansd View Post
                      Bad Denver Mock. I hate both picks.

NT and OLB are Denver's 2 Biggest needs. Ask Mark Schlereff , he said Denver must get a NT. He said that is the teams biggest need. He said we have a bunch of Backups on the DLine.

OLB - Who do we have??? Boss Bailey(severe Knee injury and never healthy) , Elvis Dumervil(5'11" 260lbs DE who never played OLB) and Jarvis Moss( a bust at DE so lets pray he turns into James Harrison at OLB. Not likely).
                      Who cares, and how can we ask him...You got his number?
                      sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

No he said so on ESPN's NFL live.

Don't you watch it???

Comment

Just becouse someone says it doesn't make it true...

Do we need a NT sure but we also need alot of other things as well...Including a Kicker.
                          sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

My WR of choice used to be Kenny Mckinley and I would still be happy with him but I have switched to Austin Collie from BYU in the 4th or 5th round. 6-1, 200,

Strengths
                            Phenomenal pass catcher with soft hands. Can run the out and comeback patterns with skill. Always gets separation and makes the catch. Faced big time double coverage and teams trying to take him away and he still produced. If he runs well he could get into the top 2 or 3 rounds.

Weaknesses
                            May not have the breakaway speed you'd like. Doesn't really come over the middle in the BYU offense the way he will need to in the pros. Not a lot of negatives with this kid. Over aged due to his Mormon mission. (24 years old)

Analysis

Positives: Legitimate NFL build. Muscled up athlete. Faster on the field than his rather pedestrian 40-yard dash time would indicate. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good hand usage and lateral quickness to gain a quick release against press coverage. Sharp, savvy route-runner. Varies his speeds and can sink his hips to generate separation. Good burst laterally. Works his way back to the ball if he sees his quarterback in trouble. Soft hands. Snatches the ball out of the air and is quick to put it away. Can track over either shoulder. Good elusiveness to make the first defender miss and strength to run through arm tackles. Good vision and will cut it back inside. May lack elite deep speed, but good early acceleration. Averaged 26.5 yards per kick return from 2007-08.

Negatives: Questionable deep speed to challenge over the top. Will be older than most NFL rookies (24) due to his LDS mission. Questionable level of competition. Statistics inflated due to BYU's scheme and defenses keying on TE Dennis Pitta.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X