Early look at the 2010 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early look at the 2010 Draft

WHY in the world did we, straight up, trade our FIRST round pick next year to Seattle for their SECOND round pick this year? I'm fine with our pick, Smith, but WHY?!?! I'm really really trying to give this team all benefits of the doubt but I'm running out. I don't know how much longer I can deal with Denver and their coaching staff.

There bone heads

And as Bronco fans we have no choice but to sit there and suck it up and take it like a man. What are you gonna do? We rise together and we fall together. And with these bone heads in charge it looks like the latter part of the last sentence.

Comment

i'm stunned by the origniality of this content.
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by MaG24 View Post
        WHY in the world did we, straight up, trade our FIRST round pick next year to Seattle for their SECOND round pick this year? I'm fine with our pick, Smith, but WHY?!?! I'm really really trying to give this team all benefits of the doubt but I'm running out. I don't know how much longer I can deal with Denver and their coaching staff.
        Apparently you've never seen a trade happen on draft day. Draft picks have a certain value depending on the round, position, etc. When you swap picks from the same year it is plain and simple to equate the value of everything being traded. When you are trading a pick from the current year for a pick in a future draft the value of the picks are not equal. Because of the "future value" of a pick, a current pick is ALWAYS worth more than a future one. A 2nd rounder this year is more valuable than a 2nd rounder next year. That is why the Broncos had to give up a 1st next year in order to get a 2nd this year. If you want a 3rd this year you have to give up a 2nd next year, and so on. The Patriots traded away a high 3rd this year for a 2nd and a 6th next year, and another 3rd this year for a 2nd next year.

Bottom line is that the Broncos didn't just "give away" a 1st or trade a 1st "straight up" for a 2nd. They made a trade that was of fair value based on the future value of draft picks.

Comment

McDaniels wants to start winning now, so we get our players now. Smith's problem is his height, other than that he has good speed, is good at jumping, and has GREAT ball skills. he would be worth a late first rounder anyways but the teams drafting had more pressing needs. he is as good as any corner we could have gotten in next years draft with the pick we traded, and smith will have a year of experience over anyone in next years draft, I think it was a decent trade. quinn on the other hand, could have fallen farther and I dont agree that it was a good selection.
          Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
          vs.
          Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
          Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
          First Round Pick TBA

Comment

and even though the FO isn't admitting it, I think the monetary benefits of "getting their first rounder in the second" will also help the salary cap out.

Comment

Alphonso Smith was the top corner on our board. 1st round talent. Our staff believed he was worth a 1st round pick. So, in the eyes of the Broncos, they selected a 1st round player with the salary of a 2nd round player. The move itself was shocking at first but in the end everything will depend on how productive Alphonso will be. And I also believe there was a big concern that we would enter the 2009 season without a decent nickel back. Alphonso has great awareness to work in the middle as a nickel, where Jack Williams and Josh Bell can be a liability.
              sigpic

Comment

McShays 2010 draft prediction for the AFC west

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...t-in-2009.html

Always one to look ahead, Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay is taking a crack at projecting the 2010 NFL draft.

More interestingly, I believe, than McShay's actual picks for the teams is where he thinks the teams will be choosing. McShay doesn't think much of the AFC West outside of the San Diego Chargers. He believes Oakland, Kansas City and Denver will be among the league's worst teams.

Let's look at what McShay forecasts for each AFC West team in next year's draft:

4. Oakland , Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Williamson's take: After not drafting a tackle this year, the Raiders will have to address the hole next year.

5. Kansas City, Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Williamson's take: With Tony Gonzalez now in Atlanta, Kansas City could use Gresham now.

6. Seattle (through Denver), Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

Williamson's take: The Broncos traded this pick to take Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith at No. 37. If the Seahawks do end up getting the No. 6 pick (and it's possible), this will go down as an all-time bad trade for Denver unless Smith quickly becomes a Pro Bowl player.

13. Denver (through Chicago), Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU

Williamson's take: The last piece of the Jay Cutler trade has to pay off for Denver. Getting another pass-rusher wouldn't be bad.

28. San Diego, LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

My take: This might be the time to find LaDainian Tomlinson's replacement. If Tomlinson's healthy and his production continues to slip, he likely won't be in San Diego in 2010.

I know this looks bleak but u never know we could end up being really good or bad just take this for what its worth.:go:
                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                I don't know and I don't care

Comment

san diego that good? lol

Comment

So McShay thinks we traded the 6th overall pick for Smith.

If this is true, how can anyone think that was a good trade? Liking Smith and thinking he is a quality player (as I do) has nothing to do with thinking we gave up way too much to get him.

Comment

At least someone isnt all over chicago bc of Cutler.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AMG View Post
                        So McShay thinks we traded the 6th overall pick for Smith.

If this is true, how can anyone think that was a good trade? Liking Smith and thinking he is a quality player (as I do) has nothing to do with thinking we gave up way too much to get him.
                        THINKS is the key word here, it's NOT true, he doesn't have a crystal ball....just chill til next year....THEN you might have something to whine about...
                        Where is this season going?

Comment

Originally posted by yaz96 View Post
                          THINKS is the key word here, it's NOT true, he doesn't have a crystal ball....just chill til next year....THEN you might have something to whine about...
                          At the very worst it will be in the 10-15 range, more likely in the 5-10 range. Even if it's in the late teens, it was a terrible trade. Just terrible.

Comment

If they arent able predict this years draft, why schould they be able predict next years.

Comment

On the bright side, he's got Terrance Cody getting drafted at #30. So if he's available that late in the draft we can certainly get our nose tackle of the future.

We could even pick someone else with our 1st rounder (a linebacker or DE) and then package a 3rd rounder and 2nd rounder to move back into the first and grab Cody.

Comment

Working...
                              X