Alfonzo Smith best CB in Draft!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfonzo Smith best CB in Draft!!!

Very interesting article in The Sporting News.

Sporting news has him ranked 11th Best Player in the Draft

Alphonso Smith
    CB, Wake Forest
    War Room analysis
    POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

(No. 37 overall, Broncos) Denver trades up to get who we believe is the best cornerback in this draft. If Smith were two inches taller, he would have been considered a top-10 pick. He has the speed, fluidity in his hips, instincts and ball skills to make an instant impact in a position of dire need for the Broncos.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Coverage skills: Consistently makes plays on the ball to break up or intercept passes. Reads the quarterback well in zone coverage, which enables him to plant, drive and close fast on passes in front of him. Does a good job going through receivers to break up the pass. Rarely gets called for the penalty. Is excellent in tight man coverage; stays on the receiver's hip all over the field and rarely allows separation. Shows the versatility to cover a slot receiver. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Shows excellent instincts and awareness to help him avoid misreads and mistakes. Is able to maintain his cushion when playing off the receiver and then drive and close on passes in a flash. Reads routes well. Shows the ability to get in front of the receiver to cut him off and shield him from the ball. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes and consistently stays in proper coverage position. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Has the explosive closing burst to consistently make plays on the ball. Shows the playing speed to stay with receivers on deep routes. Grade: 8.5

Ball skills: Consistently makes plays to break up passes despite often being much shorter than the receiver he is covering. Is aggressive going up against the receiver. Has the ability to cut in front of the receiver and make the interception. Has outstanding hands for the interception, even on high passes. Grade: 8.5

Run support: Seems to enjoy hitting and tackling. Avoids blockers well and usually gets the ballcarrier to the ground. At times, tries to go for big hit and ends up grabbing at the ballcarrier's feet to try and recover. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: At first glance, Smith doesn't seem tall enough to be an NFL cornerback. But with more film evaluation, it becomes clear he has enough positive traits to overcome his height and be an elite NFL cornerback. He has the top athleticism, competitiveness and ball skills few cornerbacks have, and he is a big-play threat as a return man. Expect him to contribute early in his career and develop into a good starter

So maybe McDaniels did do a great job with selecting Alfonzo Smith. Remember Bob Sanders is only 5'8".

Here is the link with all of the Sporting News take on Denver's Draft and UFA.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5...take-on-denver

Originally posted by broncofansd View Post
    Alphonso Smith
    CB, Wake Forest
    War Room analysis
    POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

So maybe McDaniels did do a great job with selecting Alfonzo Smith. Remember Bob Sanders is only 5'8".
    You posted the article and still can't spell his name correctly? For someone that criticizes other people quite often... you really aren't one who can talk. That's like saying; Jake Kutler, Brennan Marshall, Edy Royel, etc.

Regardless, McDaniels wouldn't have picked ALPHONSO SMITH if he didn't think he would fit on the team. He picked great prospects at every position we drafted. Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, and Alphonso Smith were the top at their position on a lot of team's boards. Mayock said he would have had Smith as his top corner if it weren't for his height. However, corner is one of the few positions that you can get away with not having great height. I look forward to the three of them contributing to our team this year.

Comment

Got to wait and see. If he is what they think he is, he is worth next years 1st.
      Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by One5 View Post
        You posted the article and still can't spell his name correctly? For someone that criticizes other people quite often... you really aren't one who can talk. That's like saying; Jake Kutler, Brennan Marshall, Edy Royel, etc.

Regardless, McDaniels wouldn't have picked ALPHONSO SMITH if he didn't think he would fit on the team. He picked great prospects at every position we drafted. Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, and Alphonso Smith were the top at their position on a lot of team's boards. Mayock said he would have had Smith as his top corner if it weren't for his height. However, corner is one of the few positions that you can get away with not having great height. I look forward to the three of them contributing to our team this year.

Dude this isn't English class. I am sorry that my mis-spelling upset you so!!!

Comment

It's the fact that you post an article that says ALPHONSO SMITH. Yet you still spell it Alfonzo..

Comment

Can we chant ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when he get INT's?
            Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

I don't care if you get a word or two wrong. But, when you quote something that has the exact word you are using in your post; you shouldn't get it wrong. There's a difference in misspelling a word and misspelling someone's name. I'd be pissed if someone kept spelling my name Alfonzo when it's Alphonso. It's not like you had to write "Nnamdi Asomugha" or "Osi Umenyiora" it's just "Alphonso".

Comment

Who cares???

I would be more interested if you had something new to say about The Broncos or any of its players than correcting my spelling. Kind of silly!!!

Comment

I cracked up reading this thread.

Comment

idk why people take that stuff seriously. so when i meet you in person imma be like hey!!!!!!!!!!! imma kick your ass because you misspelled stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meet me at the park at 3, im going to show you some grammer. hahaha. :go:
                    Sean Taylor 21 R.I.P
                    Darrent Williams 27 R.I.P
                    Damien Nash 29 R.I.P
                    John Elway 7
                    Jake Plummer 16
                    Ian Gold 52
                    Al Wilson 56
                    D.j Williams 55
                    Rod Smith 80
                    Shannon Sharpe 84
                    Steve Atwater 27
                    Terrell Davis 30
                    Ed Macaffrey 87
                    Champ Bailey 24
                    John Lynch 47
                    Brandon Marshall 15
                    Jay Cutler 6
                    Peyton Hillis 22
                    Tony Scheffler 88
                    Tom Nalen 66
                    Mike Anderson 38
                    Brandon Stokely 14

Comment

That is not a valid excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by jlynch4756624 View Post
                        idk why people take that stuff seriously. so when i meet you in person imma be like hey!!!!!!!!!!! imma kick your ass because you misspelled stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meet me at the park at 3, im going to show you some grammer. hahaha. :go:
                        It's on! Under the monkey bars at 3. Let's do this!

Comment

Alphonso Smith wears a face shield so I'm sold on him...

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
                            Can we chant ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when he get INT's?
                            No, but apparently we can chant SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO At spelling smack

Comment

Who cares???

I would be more interested if you had something new to say about The Broncos or any of its players than correcting my spelling. Kind of silly!!!
                              In my first post there is a paragraph that stays on topic with your post. So calm down. I might have taken it off topic with the grammar remark, but I put it back on track with the paragraph that followed. You're the one who sidetracked it all over again. I'm not losing sleep because you can't spell. I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is that you posted an article with his name in it and still spelled it wrong.

BTW: Jon Ellway was a great quarterback.

Comment

Working...
                              X